Best Michigan tracks for VET guys?

Ive always liked Baja, I grew up riding there but Im not as fast or fearless as I once was, Im pushing 40 now. Im still really aggressive in turns, but way more timid on bigger jumps. I dont do several a few of the bigger jumps on the track anymore, and havent been there in 2-3 years. Top priority is paying the bills for the fam, so not looking to wad it up.

What track do you recommend within 1-2 hours of SE MI for a VET guy looking to hit practice days and a race here an there? Ill be taking a VET buddy also who has NEVER been ot a track, so the easier the better.

I went to twisted a couple times last year and it was ok, but they just dont seem to build jumps like I would. Maybe I caught them on poor prep days Im not sure, but the landing were shaped weird and not forgiving on some jumps when trying to get back into the swing of things.
|
3/12/2019 9:18am
Start with moorlands. Good learner track. Zeigler MX in kzoo is a good track to learn on too. From their Battle Creek, Portland and Valley are good.
MudPup545
3/12/2019 10:05am
MudPup545 wrote:
MPX in Sebewaing
Ive been wanting to go there. I didnt see a schedule up yet when I looked last.
I think the website is no longer being used. There are dates posted on the track Facebook page.

The Shop

LumpDog841
3/12/2019 10:34am
I personally really dislike Twisted. Supercoops is my go to practice track (1 more min down the road from twisted).
3/12/2019 11:03am
Michiganmotocross.com has a lot of good info on tracks and who is open when.
Fareric
3/12/2019 11:39am
Ive always liked Baja, I grew up riding there but Im not as fast or fearless as I once was, Im pushing 40 now. Im still...
Ive always liked Baja, I grew up riding there but Im not as fast or fearless as I once was, Im pushing 40 now. Im still really aggressive in turns, but way more timid on bigger jumps. I dont do several a few of the bigger jumps on the track anymore, and havent been there in 2-3 years. Top priority is paying the bills for the fam, so not looking to wad it up.

What track do you recommend within 1-2 hours of SE MI for a VET guy looking to hit practice days and a race here an there? Ill be taking a VET buddy also who has NEVER been ot a track, so the easier the better.

I went to twisted a couple times last year and it was ok, but they just dont seem to build jumps like I would. Maybe I caught them on poor prep days Im not sure, but the landing were shaped weird and not forgiving on some jumps when trying to get back into the swing of things.
If your buddy has never been on a track, Moorelands (Stanton MI) or Ogemaw Sport and Trail (Rose City MI) are nice because they are open 7 days a week. If you go on a slow day like Tuesday there should be very few other riders at the track.
If you like sandy tracks Supercoops is fun, I took a buddy of mine there who had previously only done trail riding and he struggled riding in the sand so he wasn't a big fan. If your you think your buddy can ride in the sand I would say give it a go.
3/12/2019 12:00pm
Ive always liked Baja, I grew up riding there but Im not as fast or fearless as I once was, Im pushing 40 now. Im still...

Fareric wrote:
If your buddy has never been on a track, Moorelands (Stanton MI) or Ogemaw Sport and Trail (Rose City MI) are nice because they are open...
If your buddy has never been on a track, Moorelands (Stanton MI) or Ogemaw Sport and Trail (Rose City MI) are nice because they are open 7 days a week. If you go on a slow day like Tuesday there should be very few other riders at the track.
If you like sandy tracks Supercoops is fun, I took a buddy of mine there who had previously only done trail riding and he struggled riding in the sand so he wasn't a big fan. If your you think your buddy can ride in the sand I would say give it a go.
I agree with Portland for what you’re looking for. There aren’t any huge jumps, and the soil is pretty beginner friendly. Moreland’s would probably fit what you’re looking for as well like someone above mentioned. I love Supercoop’s and Bulldog’s too, but they both get pretty rough and your buddy might not love them. Most of the better tracks are unfortunately a hike from SE Michigan. I used to drive out to Martin or Valley more than anything.
3/12/2019 1:00pm
Twisted Mx is a fun track. If you want to drive a littler further Mx Express near Toledo (swanton) is a really cool track next to the airport
CEMX182
3/12/2019 1:39pm
Red Bud on a local weekend or Open Ride - not National weekend, just enjoy that one (track gets brutal, fun but brutal). Martin is the best (only) constant practice track on the Westside. Morelands & Valley (used to be one in the same), both are awesome - simple tracks. Zeigler's layout almost mirrored Milestone and I always thought that was hilarious (don't believe that track is still around though - EVEN THOUGH, they had a full bar/restaurant in the dealership, at the track. Was a mental setup). I always got hurt at Log Road, but love that track. Dutch is prime when its good, but Mother Nature can be a real dick to that track. Baja is the only track on the East side that I go to, Grizz's family is nothing but great people, always make my crazy self feel beyond welcomed, love the Brawl.

Other than that though, I recommend killing time at Grand Rapids Grand Prix until tracks start opening up.. racing karts might just be a cure for arm pump, idk..
CEMX182
3/12/2019 1:44pm
Log Road near Coldwater Michigan.
Doc! Stoked to still see Jeff keeping a smile on the dial & having fun down in FL! Look forward to his progress throughout the summer!

- Conor E.
c0ncEpT
3/12/2019 1:56pm
Portland would be a good track to start on. Pretty tame.
Kkawi
3/12/2019 2:12pm
Portland is one of my favorite tracks, out near Lansing, very fun and fairly safe. Martin is far but that is a great track. Supercoops is fun and close, but it does get rough and its sandy, which I like but you may not. I have yet to ride Baja on a day when it was smooth, lol, I love that track but I will not hit the Ski jump. I've seen so many people eat shit hard on it. Sandbox is good, but is extremely sandy and gets very rough. I don't like the take off of the table tops at Twisted, they launch you weird IMO.
3/12/2019 2:27pm

Fareric wrote:
If your buddy has never been on a track, Moorelands (Stanton MI) or Ogemaw Sport and Trail (Rose City MI) are nice because they are open...
HE can. I had a track of my own on 10 acres in Ogemaw county a few years ago and he ripped there. Just wasnt much for jumps on it. SUPER SUPER SUPER sandy so hes good in sand lol.
3/12/2019 2:28pm

Fareric wrote:
I agree with Portland for what you’re looking for. There aren’t any huge jumps, and the soil is pretty beginner friendly. Moreland’s would probably fit what...
I agree with Portland for what you’re looking for. There aren’t any huge jumps, and the soil is pretty beginner friendly. Moreland’s would probably fit what you’re looking for as well like someone above mentioned. I love Supercoop’s and Bulldog’s too, but they both get pretty rough and your buddy might not love them. Most of the better tracks are unfortunately a hike from SE Michigan. I used to drive out to Martin or Valley more than anything.
Im totally ok w a drive if the track is worth it. Not sure why I wrote close to SE MI, I never worry about a drive really...
3/12/2019 2:32pm
Kkawi wrote:
Portland is one of my favorite tracks, out near Lansing, very fun and fairly safe. Martin is far but that is a great track. Supercoops is...
Portland is one of my favorite tracks, out near Lansing, very fun and fairly safe. Martin is far but that is a great track. Supercoops is fun and close, but it does get rough and its sandy, which I like but you may not. I have yet to ride Baja on a day when it was smooth, lol, I love that track but I will not hit the Ski jump. I've seen so many people eat shit hard on it. Sandbox is good, but is extremely sandy and gets very rough. I don't like the take off of the table tops at Twisted, they launch you weird IMO.
Yeah the lauches at twisted are wierd but Im fine w it, the landings were peaked and higher like a step up when I was there.

I used to hit the ski jump at baja like 15 years ago. No more all set now thanks lol. Too old and timid for that anymore. I was a solid B rider thats it. All my old A class buddies still hit everything, Im good though....
Sachmo831
3/12/2019 2:46pm
CEMX182 wrote:
Red Bud on a local weekend or Open Ride - not National weekend, just enjoy that one (track gets brutal, fun but brutal). Martin is the...
Red Bud on a local weekend or Open Ride - not National weekend, just enjoy that one (track gets brutal, fun but brutal). Martin is the best (only) constant practice track on the Westside. Morelands & Valley (used to be one in the same), both are awesome - simple tracks. Zeigler's layout almost mirrored Milestone and I always thought that was hilarious (don't believe that track is still around though - EVEN THOUGH, they had a full bar/restaurant in the dealership, at the track. Was a mental setup). I always got hurt at Log Road, but love that track. Dutch is prime when its good, but Mother Nature can be a real dick to that track. Baja is the only track on the East side that I go to, Grizz's family is nothing but great people, always make my crazy self feel beyond welcomed, love the Brawl.

Other than that though, I recommend killing time at Grand Rapids Grand Prix until tracks start opening up.. racing karts might just be a cure for arm pump, idk..
When did you hear of zeigler shutting down the mx track? I was just there last fall, the track is honestly one of my favorites. First practice day at log road is 2 weeks away, moto season is almost here!
DaBaum44
3/12/2019 3:02pm Edited Date/Time 3/12/2019 3:04pm
Twisted Mx is a fun track. If you want to drive a littler further Mx Express near Toledo (swanton) is a really cool track next to...
Twisted Mx is a fun track. If you want to drive a littler further Mx Express near Toledo (swanton) is a really cool track next to the airport
X2 Mx Express is definitely worth the drive. Jumps are forgiving and vet friendly IMO. Track has always been prepped very well and the owners are really good people too. Log Road is also a good choice if that's closer.
MxKing809
Fantasy
315th
3/12/2019 4:04pm
Sandbox and Bulldogs.

I’m a member at Bulldogs and can take you out there sometime. Shoot me a text. 9898917454

ehr400
3/13/2019 3:47am
MxKing809 wrote:
Sandbox and Bulldogs.

I’m a member at Bulldogs and can take you out there sometime. Shoot me a text. 9898917454

I didnt think Sandbox was still open? They didnt have any ride dates last year on their site?

I vote for Coops, track is safe, gets rough, bigger jumps if you want. Log road is also good for non jumpers. MxExpress is also a fun track as well.
Speeddemon73
3/13/2019 4:43am Edited Date/Time 3/13/2019 5:56am
Martin MX is probably one of, if not THE best practice track in Michigan. The owner puts his heart into the track and every practice the track is in prime conditions. Never dusty, hardly muddy, and all the jumps are pretty tame. Seriously though the owner keeps the moisture so well in the track you hardly have to wash your bike after riding there sometimes. The track attracts a LOT of people on the weekends so I recommend if you can to go to a Wednesday afternoon practice 3-8pm. Usually, Wednesdays are filled with fast guys and Vet riders. Most weekends are jam packed with C-riders. This past summer I stopped going on weekends because there was usually 3 sessions of C-level practice which made for a long day waiting for A/B to be allowed on the track. Valley Motocross is also really fun. One track that has not been mentioned on here is Grattan MX. Their motocross track is built on the same grounds as the road race course. The track is more of a traditional motocross track that's built in between two big hills. Not a whole lot of jumps, but lots of hills, climbs, long straights, and off camber corners. You really get to let your bike stretch its legs on the long climbs and long straightaways. Grattan MX is one of my favorite places to ride, but they only have maybe one or two practices a year alongside a handful of races. If you can, I highly suggest going to Grattan MX on one of their open practices. Usually when they run motocross practice, the Porsches, vettes, and even shifter karts are usually on the road race course. Pretty cool to watch those dudes rip while you are waiting for your group to be called onto the track.
SCAM124
Fantasy
2161st
3/13/2019 5:30am
Kkawi wrote:
Portland is one of my favorite tracks, out near Lansing, very fun and fairly safe. Martin is far but that is a great track. Supercoops is...
Yeah the lauches at twisted are wierd but Im fine w it, the landings were peaked and higher like a step up when I was there...
Yeah the lauches at twisted are wierd but Im fine w it, the landings were peaked and higher like a step up when I was there.

I used to hit the ski jump at baja like 15 years ago. No more all set now thanks lol. Too old and timid for that anymore. I was a solid B rider thats it. All my old A class buddies still hit everything, Im good though....
I run a private MX club in Irish hills with some other guys here (also Vitards).
We're looking to expand our rider guest list. especially to old slow guys like us! We have 5 club events per season, practice days.
Shoot me a PM with your email. I can put you in the loop if you'd like...
c0ncEpT
3/13/2019 6:04am
Martin MX is probably one of, if not THE best practice track in Michigan. The owner puts his heart into the track and every practice the...
Martin MX is probably one of, if not THE best practice track in Michigan. The owner puts his heart into the track and every practice the track is in prime conditions. Never dusty, hardly muddy, and all the jumps are pretty tame. Seriously though the owner keeps the moisture so well in the track you hardly have to wash your bike after riding there sometimes. The track attracts a LOT of people on the weekends so I recommend if you can to go to a Wednesday afternoon practice 3-8pm. Usually, Wednesdays are filled with fast guys and Vet riders. Most weekends are jam packed with C-riders. This past summer I stopped going on weekends because there was usually 3 sessions of C-level practice which made for a long day waiting for A/B to be allowed on the track. Valley Motocross is also really fun. One track that has not been mentioned on here is Grattan MX. Their motocross track is built on the same grounds as the road race course. The track is more of a traditional motocross track that's built in between two big hills. Not a whole lot of jumps, but lots of hills, climbs, long straights, and off camber corners. You really get to let your bike stretch its legs on the long climbs and long straightaways. Grattan MX is one of my favorite places to ride, but they only have maybe one or two practices a year alongside a handful of races. If you can, I highly suggest going to Grattan MX on one of their open practices. Usually when they run motocross practice, the Porsches, vettes, and even shifter karts are usually on the road race course. Pretty cool to watch those dudes rip while you are waiting for your group to be called onto the track.
Problem with Grattan is they only practice twice a year.
c0ncEpT
3/13/2019 6:09am Edited Date/Time 3/13/2019 6:21am
ehr400 wrote:
I didnt think Sandbox was still open? They didnt have any ride dates last year on their site? I vote for Coops, track is safe, gets...
I didnt think Sandbox was still open? They didnt have any ride dates last year on their site?

I vote for Coops, track is safe, gets rough, bigger jumps if you want. Log road is also good for non jumpers. MxExpress is also a fun track as well.
I'm very Meh on Coops.

Unless you go in the middle of summer its a mud pit(the entire back side of the property is the worst). Built on a 100% flat piece of old farm property.

For a total beginner it might be fun but it leaves a lot to be desired.

I rather go to Twisted instead. Which isn't saying much.
KW62
3/13/2019 6:51am
ehr400 wrote:
I didnt think Sandbox was still open? They didnt have any ride dates last year on their site? I vote for Coops, track is safe, gets...

c0ncEpT wrote:
I'm very Meh on Coops. Unless you go in the middle of summer its a mud pit(the entire back side of the property is the worst)...
I'm very Meh on Coops.

Unless you go in the middle of summer its a mud pit(the entire back side of the property is the worst). Built on a 100% flat piece of old farm property.

How recently have you been? They've changed some things up mid/late last year and have noticeably improved the layout and track prep. I have friends that previously hated the track and now dig it.
3/13/2019 7:39am
ehr400 wrote:

c0ncEpT wrote:
I'm very Meh on Coops. Unless you go in the middle of summer its a mud pit(the entire back side of the property is the worst)...
I'm very Meh on Coops.

I know some fasssst people that love Coop’s, BUT I totally get where you’re coming from on the mud. My favorite track in the state is Bulldog’s. Followed by Martin.
MxKing809
Fantasy
315th
3/13/2019 7:46am
MxKing809 wrote:
Sandbox and Bulldogs.

ehr400 wrote:

From what I understand, the owner was going through some personal stuff that has since been sorted out - and will be running in 2019.
Kkawi
3/13/2019 7:49am
yeah i gotta hit Martin a few times this year. I love their jumps.

Post a reply to: Best Michigan tracks for VET guys?

The Latest