Best age for a first supercross

jpfiester82
Fantasy
33rd
3/20/2018 8:16am Edited Date/Time 3/21/2018 10:23am
I'm considering taking my daughter to her first supercross in Indy. She is 5 and I'm not sure she would have the attention span to make it through the mains let alone some of practice. Suggestions?
|
agn5009
3/20/2018 8:25am
Every kids different. I took my 4 year old to motorama this year and he loved it. He wouldn't let me walk away from the races to check out any merchandise or anything else. He was absolutely glued to it. But he can only watch races on TV for about 10 minutes til he goes to something else. Either way, I would probably take some toys and coloring books for her just in case she gets bored.
DoctorJD
3/20/2018 8:27am
I think my son was 6 when I first took him. My advice? Make the day as short as possible. No pits, practice or, qualifiers. You are correct in that their attention span is short and a 3-hour + program is hard for them to sit through. The only way my kid made is was because we had access to a suite back in those days. He went and crashed on the couch when he wanted to.
peelout
3/20/2018 8:27am
I'm considering taking my daughter to her first supercross in Indy. She is 5 and I'm not sure she would have the attention span to make...
I'm considering taking my daughter to her first supercross in Indy. She is 5 and I'm not sure she would have the attention span to make it through the mains let alone some of practice. Suggestions?
depends how INTO it she is. we took our 6 year old to SLC last year and he couldn't take his eyes off the track once the first gate dropped, took him to the Monster Cup and same thing. took my (at the time) 5 year old niece to SLC a couple years ago and she wanted to go home before it started and fell asleep during the Heat races.
billyp330
3/20/2018 8:34am
Like others are saying it really depends on your kid. I took by 2 yr old daughter (at the time) to High Point national last year. Was there all day long and watched everything no issues at all. It was also extremely hot so maybe that made her to worn out to want to walk around too much. Either way she was great during it. Keeping saying I'm gonna take her to a SX but havn't yet. Writing this now I really wish I would of gotten her a ticket to Indy when there was still seats available, but it is like a 6hr drive shed have to sit through there and back as well so kind of a lot for her for just a weekend trip.

The Shop

mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
3/20/2018 8:40am
Took my daughter a month before she turned 3. She cried because Tomac didn't come up and say hi to us during opening ceremonies(we were in the nose bleeds and she absolutely LOVES Tomac). She had a great time other than that small issue.
Wilson116
Fantasy
1664th
3/20/2018 9:05am
Took my almost 3 year old last year and he loved it other then the fireworks and load explosions. Taking him again this weekend with a pair of ear muffs. He is used to spending all weekend at the racetrack though so 3 hours for Supercross wasn't bad in his eyes. Each child will be different though.
jpfiester82
Fantasy
33rd
3/20/2018 9:44am
Thanks guys. My thought was to get there a little early to walk the pits, there is enough going on there to keep her interested. Then watch one or two practice sessions before taking her to get some lunch and what ever she wanted to do time permitting. Planning ahead fully charged I pad and coloring books. Anyone know if backpacks are allowed in the stadium, Atlanta was a pain in the ass?

Billyp Yea the ticket selection looks a little thin right now.
billyp330
3/20/2018 10:47am
Thanks guys. My thought was to get there a little early to walk the pits, there is enough going on there to keep her interested. Then...
Thanks guys. My thought was to get there a little early to walk the pits, there is enough going on there to keep her interested. Then watch one or two practice sessions before taking her to get some lunch and what ever she wanted to do time permitting. Planning ahead fully charged I pad and coloring books. Anyone know if backpacks are allowed in the stadium, Atlanta was a pain in the ass?

You should be fine bringing in a backpack, they will just open it up and check it when you come through the gate.

I'm in section 214 row 9. Never been to Indy so hoping those are good seats. Can't wait to watch my first East/West Shootout!!!
peelout
3/20/2018 10:55am
Thanks guys. My thought was to get there a little early to walk the pits, there is enough going on there to keep her interested. Then...

billyp330 wrote:
You should be fine bringing in a backpack, they will just open it up and check it when you come through the gate. I'm in section...
You should be fine bringing in a backpack, they will just open it up and check it when you come through the gate.

I'm in section 214 row 9. Never been to Indy so hoping those are good seats. Can't wait to watch my first East/West Shootout!!!
i think that's changed, small purse and shit is ok. but i believe backpacks are no longer allowed.

i could be wrong, would be the first time tho
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3682nd
3/20/2018 10:57am
billyp330 wrote:
You should be fine bringing in a backpack, they will just open it up and check it when you come through the gate. I'm in section...

You're sitting in the highlighted area.

Kenny Lingus
3/20/2018 11:06am
Nothing more annoying than a kid screaming and crying near you at an event. You know your kid better than anyone, use your judgement.
billyp330
3/20/2018 11:08am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
You're sitting in the highlighted area. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/03/20/250590/s1200_20180320_135519.jpg[/img]
You're sitting in the highlighted area.

Yea I looked at track map, but you really never know until you've been there. The overall size of stadium and how steep the seating is makes a big difference.
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
3/20/2018 11:14am
My little girl was 5, I think. She did just fine. Her mom bought her some cotton candy and I gave her a sip of the Rockstar Lemonade I had with me.... man, that was a big mistake. She was bouncing off the walls! When the announcer asked (*Insert growly Satan voice), "ARE YOU RRRRREADY FOR SUPERRRRCROSSSS?" It was priceless. She was literally jumping up and down on her seat, going "YEAHHH!"

Poor little thing fell asleep by the time the 250 main was over, but that was just fine with me. Smile
Camp332
3/20/2018 11:53am
Being that I took my son at ages, 3, 4, and 5. 5 is the best age in my experience. 3 years old he passed out in my arms before 250 heat 2. Age 4 he made it a little longer. Age 5 he made the whole event.
3/20/2018 11:54am
Taking my son. He turned 4 in Jan. Was wondering the same thing OP. I decided to not arrive until the night show. I think day quals will be to much. He loves the races on TV though so who knows.
cjmx
Fantasy
1180th
3/20/2018 12:28pm
Bring ear protection. They'll enjoy the event a lot more.

mmain62
3/20/2018 12:43pm
Just took my 2yr old son to St. Louis. He did very well. I was surprised.
Kiwimoto
3/20/2018 5:08pm
cjmx wrote:
Bring ear protection. They'll enjoy the event a lot more. [img]https://images.homedepot-static.com/productImages/fa53c685-42e3-40fc-81a1-258aed07d601/svn/reds-pinks-erb-hearing-protection-14242-64_1000.jpg[/img]
Bring ear protection. They'll enjoy the event a lot more.

I was going to say the same thing. I took my son to races when he was under 5 but he loved having his ear protection on while the racing took place.
BobbyM
3/20/2018 9:06pm
I'm considering taking my daughter to her first supercross in Indy. She is 5 and I'm not sure she would have the attention span to make...
Zero... Make a baby at the race hopefully during the LCQ
TeamGreen
3/20/2018 9:49pm

billyp330 wrote:

peelout wrote:
i think that's changed, small purse and shit is ok. but i believe backpacks are no longer allowed. i could be wrong, would be the first...
i think that's changed, small purse and shit is ok. but i believe backpacks are no longer allowed.

i could be wrong, would be the first time tho
Dude! How many times do I have to tell you?!?!

It's a Gawd Damn SATCHEL!

Geezus! I could just scratch your eyes out!

Laughing
jpfiester82
Fantasy
33rd
3/21/2018 10:03am
Looks like I can scratch the pits off the to do list. High of 34 and 100% chance of snow.
Potts
3/21/2018 10:23am
I brought my first daughter to Supercross when she was just over one year old and she has gone every year (almost) for the last 28 years! We brought blankets for their seats (two girls) so they could get comfortable and plan on them falling asleep before the main event. By five years old they were into the sport and stayed awake the whole event. Both of my girls loved the opening fireworks and laser lights and became genuine fans!

Post a reply to: Best age for a first supercross

The Latest