Blurry Vision after Two Laps

crt32
11/8/2020 5:22am Edited Date/Time 11/9/2020 4:29pm
Ever since I stopped consistently riding when I go back to the track, around lap 2 or 3 I get blurry vision and objects are not crystal clear. I wear contacts, but have since I was a kid, and never had a problem. I dont know if it's mentally tired on lap 2, blood flow, or something else. Ever had this happen?
|
plowboy
11/8/2020 5:36am
crt32 wrote:
Ever since I stopped consistently riding when I go back to the track, around lap 2 or 3 I get blurry vision and objects are not...
Ever since I stopped consistently riding when I go back to the track, around lap 2 or 3 I get blurry vision and objects are not crystal clear. I wear contacts, but have since I was a kid, and never had a problem. I dont know if it's mentally tired on lap 2, blood flow, or something else. Ever had this happen?
For the record, I am not a doctor. I wore contacts for 45 years. If you aren't blinking enough...they can dry out and you'll lose focus. If your goggles have too much air flow...that can also dry them out. You probably already know this.

I thought I was going blind...turns out all the glands in my eyelids (that's where the lube for your eyeballs is produced) were clogged. It's taken about three years to get things flowing again. Dry eyes is a symptom. Just my .02.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3682nd
11/8/2020 5:37am
When's the last time you had an eye exam? You might want to schedule an appointment if it's been awhile.

Does it only happen when you ride?

Could be low blood sugar or low blood pressure. Are you diabetic? Might want to get checked.
GangGreen
11/8/2020 5:39am Edited Date/Time 11/8/2020 5:40am
See your Opthalmologist and ask to try a different brand of contacts. You need to determine if it's outside environment, gravity, g-forces, because your contacts could be warbling around. If it's blood flow, high blood pressure, blood sugar, you'd have the same thing occur on a Spinbike, in my opinion.
crt32
11/8/2020 5:53am
Doesnt happen on a spin bike, and don't notice it as much in arenacross. Seems to only happen if track is super rutted, focused, and slight nerves. Is it possible for your eye shape to change during riding and deeming the contacts not as effective. Super frustrating. 2 laps i can see 20/20, then it just hits me, and and can no longer judge distance or ruts.

The Shop

DA498
11/8/2020 6:18am
Try riding with a pair of glasses.
omalley
11/8/2020 6:35am
crt32 wrote:
Doesnt happen on a spin bike, and don't notice it as much in arenacross. Seems to only happen if track is super rutted, focused, and slight...
Doesnt happen on a spin bike, and don't notice it as much in arenacross. Seems to only happen if track is super rutted, focused, and slight nerves. Is it possible for your eye shape to change during riding and deeming the contacts not as effective. Super frustrating. 2 laps i can see 20/20, then it just hits me, and and can no longer judge distance or ruts.
I have to use eye drops just before I put the goggles on or I get similar issues. Add a dusty track and it’s really bad.

One thing my eye doctor had me do for a similar off-the-bike issue years ago (dry eyes, scratchy feeling) was to take Johnson’s baby shampoo and rub my eyelids (right at the root of the eyelashes) with it in the shower every morning, then rinse. It helped a ton.

Other issues:
-Older contacts
-contacts in too long prior to riding (I started wearing my glasses on those early start days driving to the track, then switch to contacts)
-eye drops prior to each time on the bike
-making sure I blink (it’s easy in MX to tighten up so much that you almost forget to blink and/or breathe naturally, and this gets worse after a long time off the bike).
FWYT
11/8/2020 8:39am
As a long-time contact lens wearer, I get that occasionally as well. Generally it's from not blinking enough/too dry. Drops help. That it happens sometimes more than others might still just be that you are blinking less at those intense times.

Also, in my recent eye exams, the Dr. let me try some different lenses to get a good fit and some were MUCH more comfortable than others. See if you can test some.
FWYT
11/8/2020 8:40am
omalley wrote:
I have to use eye drops just before I put the goggles on or I get similar issues. Add a dusty track and it’s really bad...
I have to use eye drops just before I put the goggles on or I get similar issues. Add a dusty track and it’s really bad.

One thing my eye doctor had me do for a similar off-the-bike issue years ago (dry eyes, scratchy feeling) was to take Johnson’s baby shampoo and rub my eyelids (right at the root of the eyelashes) with it in the shower every morning, then rinse. It helped a ton.

Other issues:
-Older contacts
-contacts in too long prior to riding (I started wearing my glasses on those early start days driving to the track, then switch to contacts)
-making sure I blink (it’s easy in MX to tighten up so much that you almost forget to blink and/or breathe naturally, and this gets worse after a long time off the bike).
"One thing my eye doctor had me do for a similar off-the-bike issue years ago (dry eyes, scratchy feeling) was to take Johnson’s baby shampoo and rub my eyelids (right at the root of the eyelashes) with it in the shower every morning, then rinse. It helped a ton."

Interesting!! Is the idea that crud gets held in the lashes?
omalley
11/8/2020 10:24am Edited Date/Time 11/8/2020 10:40am
omalley wrote:
I have to use eye drops just before I put the goggles on or I get similar issues. Add a dusty track and it’s really bad...

Other issues:
-Older contacts
FWYT wrote:
"One thing my eye doctor had me do for a similar off-the-bike issue years ago (dry eyes, scratchy feeling) was to take Johnson’s baby shampoo and...
"One thing my eye doctor had me do for a similar off-the-bike issue years ago (dry eyes, scratchy feeling) was to take Johnson’s baby shampoo and rub my eyelids (right at the root of the eyelashes) with it in the shower every morning, then rinse. It helped a ton."

Interesting!! Is the idea that crud gets held in the lashes?
Partially, yes. As I recall, it had something to do with tiny ducts that get plugged.

There was much more to the explanation, but as they say...
“The first three things to go with age are sight, hearing, and I can’t remember the other one...” lol
MxKing809
Fantasy
158th
11/8/2020 10:34am
I have 20/20 vision without vision aids - so I can’t speak around that part...

But I have naturally watery eyes. Over active tear ducts maybe? I notice like breathing, I tend to get caught up in the riding and “forgo/forget” blinking. The excess water glosses over my vision.
Pool-eh
Fantasy
2854th
11/8/2020 1:18pm
Blurry or like double vision? I had an issue when I would get later in motos where I would have blurry/double vision. I got hurt and stopped racing shortly after it started happening. Then after a new eye exam with a new doctor, the found out I had a muscle imbalance. Basicaly when you blink, one eye goes up and one down and takes a few moments for your brain to correct it. It only would happen when I would get my heart rate up high for a long time(15 min into a Moto at mammoth was the worst id experienced). I now where prism lenses which correct that imbalance for you and when getting my heart rate up it doesn’t happen anymore. One doc I talked to said it may be due to concussions, which I’ve had many minor ones and a few big ones. Hope that helps.
CPR
11/8/2020 1:25pm Edited Date/Time 11/8/2020 1:25pm
A not eye related possibility is blood pressure issues- go see a doctor mate.
EngIceDave
11/8/2020 1:25pm
I haven't seen it mentioned, but have you had a physical stress test?

Blood pressure and a number of things could effect your eyes during physical stress.
Brent
11/8/2020 1:32pm
I had the same issue 20 years ago.

Went to the doctor and was Diagnosed with genetic hypertension ( high blood pressure).

I take a pill every day since then and no problems.

braaap
Fantasy
2090th
11/8/2020 5:28pm
Acid reducing stomach meds (proton pump inhibitors) can cause dry eyes and blurred vision. I fought it for a long time before figuring it out.
EngIceDave
11/8/2020 6:23pm
braaap wrote:
Acid reducing stomach meds (proton pump inhibitors) can cause dry eyes and blurred vision. I fought it for a long time before figuring it out.
No shit, like omepresole?

Prilosec?
TheGetFresh
Fantasy
2520th
11/8/2020 7:54pm
crt32 wrote:
Doesnt happen on a spin bike, and don't notice it as much in arenacross. Seems to only happen if track is super rutted, focused, and slight...
omalley wrote:

Other issues:
-Older contacts
Most drug stores sell special baby wipe type towlettes specifically for cleaning eyelids. They sell them next to the eye drops. That may be a good trackside supplement to your baby shampoo routine.
braaap
Fantasy
2090th
11/8/2020 8:16pm
braaap wrote:
EngIceDave wrote:
No shit, like omepresole?

Prilosec?
Yes, Omepraze is a PPI. I took Prevacid for a few years without issue. Then my eyes started getting real dry with slight blurred vision and depth perception problems causing real problems on a MX track. I weened myself off Prevacid and my issues went away. Ive taken it again a few times and the eye issues return.

Here’s a list of PPI’s.
omeprazole (Prilosec, Prilosec OTC, Zegerid)
lansoprazole (Prevacid)
pantoprazole (Protonix)
rabeprazole (Aciphex)
esomeprazole (Nexium)
dexlansoprazole (Dexilant
crt32
11/8/2020 8:28pm
Pool-eh wrote:
Blurry or like double vision? I had an issue when I would get later in motos where I would have blurry/double vision. I got hurt and...
Blurry or like double vision? I had an issue when I would get later in motos where I would have blurry/double vision. I got hurt and stopped racing shortly after it started happening. Then after a new eye exam with a new doctor, the found out I had a muscle imbalance. Basicaly when you blink, one eye goes up and one down and takes a few moments for your brain to correct it. It only would happen when I would get my heart rate up high for a long time(15 min into a Moto at mammoth was the worst id experienced). I now where prism lenses which correct that imbalance for you and when getting my heart rate up it doesn’t happen anymore. One doc I talked to said it may be due to concussions, which I’ve had many minor ones and a few big ones. Hope that helps.
Hmmmm that sounds similar, I have had concussions over my 27 year career...i only notice it when my heart rate gets up or if I am trying to push really hard.
CPR
11/8/2020 11:27pm
Pool-eh wrote:
Blurry or like double vision? I had an issue when I would get later in motos where I would have blurry/double vision. I got hurt and...
crt32 wrote:
Hmmmm that sounds similar, I have had concussions over my 27 year career...i only notice it when my heart rate gets up or if I am...
Hmmmm that sounds similar, I have had concussions over my 27 year career...i only notice it when my heart rate gets up or if I am trying to push really hard.
Go to a doctor man.
mister2dt
11/9/2020 1:22am
Concussion related i would bet. Your issue is why i cant ride consistently anymore. First vision goes, then balance goes, they extreme dizziness.
js451
11/9/2020 2:03am
Are your contacts for long distance or short distance? I have glasses for driving and when I try to focus short distance with them on my vision goes blurry until it adjusts. See your optometrist
Jordanm414
11/9/2020 3:32pm
mister2dt wrote:
Concussion related i would bet. Your issue is why i cant ride consistently anymore. First vision goes, then balance goes, they extreme dizziness.
Same here, after a couple bumps to the head I developed migraine issues... same feelings... dizziness, balance problems, eyes were always off... but I’d get a raging headache afterwards. Might be worth looking into if you guys are generally healthy people.
FI2T
11/9/2020 4:29pm
Bike change to a 500 ha... I agree with others go get checked out. Hope you figure it out, sounds like a rough deal.

Post a reply to: Blurry Vision after Two Laps

The Latest