Boot/Knee Brace Help

12/23/2017 2:37pm Edited Date/Time 10/3/2018 8:03pm
2 issues. 1. My knee braces are rubbing my hamstring tendon in the back of my knee raw. Ocer the last 16 years I’ve wore braces from Custom DonJoy’s to Custom CTi’s and they all do it. (I have Custom Cti’s currently) I’ve tried loosening the strap below the knee joint, (even though the custom braces fit perfectly, too loose of the strap below the knee joint will cause the brace to slide down) I’ve tried every knee sleeve sold except neoprene, even tried mole skin for orthotics, even went commando like Jeff Emig without sleeves. Nothing. Just rubs and pinches me raw. Does anybody have any tips or advice?

2. I cut the top of my SG12’s when I had my Custom DonJoy’s because of where the calf portion in the brace interfered with my boot. Basically the boot would shove the brace up and out of position. Now that I got better Cti’s and the damn boot is pinching and bruising the hell out of my calf. I’m wondering how tall my boot was originally and if it’d still pinch my calf which I doubt.

If anybody could measure their Tech 8’s, Tech 10’s or Gaerne SG12’s from the bottom of the sole to the top of the boot at the outside calf portion that would be great!

I’m also considering going to a more flexible boot. These SG12’s are nice, but they feel stiff to me when using the rear brake and when I dab my foot down causing my prior blown out knees to take the brunt. I remember reading Jody Wiesel talking about how he used to wear old school boots just because of that. I’m starting to think that way now. I used to wear Fox Comp or Forma 5’s back in 2006 when I quit riding and I remember they were pretty flexible.

So if anybody could chime in their take on flexible vs stiff boots and their experience that’d be great too!

Thanks fellas.
|
Moto520
12/23/2017 3:56pm
Consider going to an off the shelf brace. The CTI’s (actually they are now sold under a different name i believe) are good but the off the shelf stuff has caught up. Try Mobius or Pod and you may be happier.
12/23/2017 4:18pm
I’ve had OTS DonJoy Armors like Grant Langston wore and OTS Ortema’s like Roczen wore. The Ortema’s came to a close 2nd to the Cti’s.
kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
12/23/2017 5:01pm Edited Date/Time 12/23/2017 5:07pm
Neoprene sleeve on the knee joint, under the brace. Then panty hose or compression tight pants (Nike dry fit, etc.) over the brace.
kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
12/23/2017 5:05pm Edited Date/Time 12/23/2017 5:05pm
I’ve seen this work too (with some modifications). Gives an anchor to reduce migration:

And no, I’m not joking.

The Shop

KMC440
12/23/2017 6:20pm
Nuke Laloosh would be proud.
12/24/2017 6:37am
Cti (Ossur) has an AMS wrap anti.migration.strap that is supposed to help with the problem. YouTube has a video of it. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FmcWizA2MBQ
Cti (Ossur) has an AMS wrap anti.migration.strap that is supposed to help with the problem. YouTube has a video of it.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FmcWizA2MBQ

Yea, that’s gonna be one of my things to try. Loosening up the strap just below the knee joint in conjunction with the AMS wrap. I’ve got them so might as well try it. I’m no Schwarzenegger but I do have bigger calf’s that usually keep the brace from migrating down. However in this case as you’ve pointed out, it may be the ticket to loosening the strap up. I’m gonna also try a neoprene sleeve as suggested. Thanks
12/24/2017 8:05am
Cti (Ossur) has an AMS wrap anti.migration.strap that is supposed to help with the problem. YouTube has a video of it. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FmcWizA2MBQ
Cti (Ossur) has an AMS wrap anti.migration.strap that is supposed to help with the problem. YouTube has a video of it.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FmcWizA2MBQ

Yea, that’s gonna be one of my things to try. Loosening up the strap just below the knee joint in conjunction with the AMS wrap. I’ve...
Yea, that’s gonna be one of my things to try. Loosening up the strap just below the knee joint in conjunction with the AMS wrap. I’ve got them so might as well try it. I’m no Schwarzenegger but I do have bigger calf’s that usually keep the brace from migrating down. However in this case as you’ve pointed out, it may be the ticket to loosening the strap up. I’m gonna also try a neoprene sleeve as suggested. Thanks
I just wouldnt wear anything to thick under the brace as it might affect how it protects the knee and fit. I have the CTi's and run the fox proforma knee sock and the CTi gripper material seems to grip the sock material pretty will.
12/24/2017 9:19am
I was playing around with the brace today and noticed it’s more so the CTi strap above the knee joint, behind the hamstring. I’m gonna try putting a pad on that strap and see if that helps in conjunction with lossening it up and installing the anti migration strap.

As far as the boots go I went into the local Fox store today with my knee brace and tried the Comp 5’s I used to wear 11 years ago and my lord!! They are so much more comfy and flexible than these Starwars Battle Galactia Gaerne Sg12’s! Lighter too. Can’t wait to try them out on the bike. I get the whole protect your ankle thing, but I’d rather have more give at my ankle the directing all the energy to my knees.
12/24/2017 9:34am
I just wouldnt wear anything to thick under the brace as it might affect how it protects the knee and fit. I have the CTi's and...
I just wouldnt wear anything to thick under the brace as it might affect how it protects the knee and fit. I have the CTi's and run the fox proforma knee sock and the CTi gripper material seems to grip the sock material pretty will.
Yea, you’re right. I tried a neoprene sleeve today and that’s a no go. Ironically, the proforma sock is the one that rubs me the worst. I think it’s the mesh netting in the back. I think putting a pad and using the ams strap is gonna be the ticket. Hopefully..
TeamGreen
12/24/2017 10:36am
Asterisk has reworked thier brace and they've made a few changes in this area. Might wanna give them a look.
12/24/2017 5:34pm
Best knee sleeve I found that didn’t rub my skin raw via couch testing..don’t laugh, but it was the Copper fit sleeve that Brett Farve endorses. I could care less about the copper crap but the sleeve felt the silkiest and seemed to not bunch up.

I tried the lossening up the strap when I used the anti-migration strap for the Cti’s but honestly it didn’t help. Because it added extra bulk beneath the calf strap that bunches up and chafed my skin. I actually took the pad off the strap too. Little by Little I guess. I’m just happy I may of figured it out because it was honestly causing my to not weight my outside footpeg or use my rear brake when sitting because it hurt so bad.
kimfeld
10/3/2018 8:03pm
Maybe try putting duct tape on the spot where it’s rubbing. My right CTi brace rubs side of knee to the point of bleeding. Now I put a large piece of duct tape over that area and around back of knee where I also get rubbing and it’s made a huge difference (this is an old tree planting trick of mine)

Post a reply to: Boot/Knee Brace Help

The Latest