Boots.

Meister
Let's start by saying I've worn instincts pretty much since they came out. Currently wearing instinct off-roads. Basically a regular instinct with a little more protection and more aggressive sole. Holding up great. I will also say I've worn shift for just as long.

Recently made the switch to Fly.. we all know fly gear and fox boots is a little bit of a bro code no no..

Not that I REALLY care, but I do find myself looking at other brands.

For those that have worn instincts, which boots from G and A feel most similar? Sizing about the same? I wear an 11 in instincts and they fit perfectly.

Back in the day I had to switch from tech 8s to Gaerne sg1s because I felt like the overall size of the astar was just too big in the tow box area and it affected shifting for me.

I no longer have a local shop that keeps everything in stock, or I'd go try them on for myself..

Calling rooster.

Thanks for any input!
|
Pirate421
9/1/2020 7:08pm
I recently made the jump to gaerne sg10’s. I used to buy whatever boot was on sale but can say that the sg10’s are the best I’ve worn. They fit about 1/2 size big so if you wear a 10.5 a 10 is perfect. They needed zero break in and are very comfortable. Well worth the price.
Meister
9/1/2020 7:17pm
Made the jump from which boots previously? Thanks for the input!
FIREfish148
9/1/2020 7:50pm
Can you even get a bad boot now a days? I would recommend sg12’s but I haven’t worn anything besides gaerne for years.
bierbower105
9/2/2020 3:57am
Meister wrote:
G is more old school feel for sure. A has more feel in the soles like instinct. I wear G's because they last longer and my foot is a little wider.

The Shop

walent215
9/2/2020 4:10am
Have ran Instincts, Tech 8s, Tech 10s, SG10s,SG12s. I am not super picky but i recall really liking the tech 8s alot (been years since owning them) Tech 10s did not fit my large calves, Sg10s were good but stiff , Sg12s more comfy but still on the stiff side and i am now on my 2nd set of Instincts. I will be sticking with them indefinitely. Personally i would forget about the bro code and run whats most confortable . I did break my big toe in the Instincts but not sure if any other boot would or could have prevented it.
Roostermx58
9/2/2020 5:20am
Instincts have the built-in steel toe, like the tech 10's and the Sidi SRS. A lot of people don't like Astars because of the booties and the extra hassle.

Since you wore the off-road instincts, are you looking for something with a more aggressive sole? I think the only boot that gives this option in the higher end market, is the Sidi SRS with the enduro sole.

They are all great boots (sg12, sg10, instincts, tech 10's, tech 8's, crossfire 3's) it really all depends on your foot and how it feels in the boot. You will have man opinions stating that this boot is better than the other. Let me know if I can help more.
Meister
9/2/2020 5:44am
Thanks guys.

I dont necessarily need the aggressive sole.. I'm mainly moto. I bought them because when I was the ref at a local track, I found myself walking or running all over the track slipping and sliding in my LE instino. (Yes I rode a class while working, so I was in my gear)..

Tech 10s are out because my foots too wide. I haven't tried the latest gen, but have tried them on a few years back. I sort of ruled out 8s (and sg12) due to bulk of a bigger toe box. I've also read sidi isn't too accommodating to wide feet.. I think where I'm at now is sg10 or tech 7. I'm mainly looking to hear which ones are most similar to the instinct.
Roostermx58
9/2/2020 6:05am
Meister wrote:
Thanks guys. I dont necessarily need the aggressive sole.. I'm mainly moto. I bought them because when I was the ref at a local track, I...
Thanks guys.

I dont necessarily need the aggressive sole.. I'm mainly moto. I bought them because when I was the ref at a local track, I found myself walking or running all over the track slipping and sliding in my LE instino. (Yes I rode a class while working, so I was in my gear)..

Tech 10s are out because my foots too wide. I haven't tried the latest gen, but have tried them on a few years back. I sort of ruled out 8s (and sg12) due to bulk of a bigger toe box. I've also read sidi isn't too accommodating to wide feet.. I think where I'm at now is sg10 or tech 7. I'm mainly looking to hear which ones are most similar to the instinct.
If you have a wider foot, the best higher-end boots will be the Instinct, SG12, or the Crossfire 3 TA's. You are correct that the SRS are very narrow and don't seem like they will fit you too well. The SG12's are going to be a little more protective and offer a little more padding than the Sg10's. The SG'10 will be a slightly slimmer toe box.
9/2/2020 6:06am
Check out the Oneal RDX. Very good boot at half the cost(look around) of Tech 7/10 or SG10/12
YZed250
9/2/2020 9:21am Edited Date/Time 9/2/2020 9:43am
I am happy with my Forma Predators. I ride a mix of MX and offroad. I preferred the stitched sole for wider feet, good ankle protection and durability. I typically wear a 9 or 10 street shoe and am comfy in the 9s after trying on everything from 8.5 to 10s.
I was also comfy in a set of Instinct 10s until I chipped the toe cap and couldn't get them fixed. I have worn SG12s before but they always pinched my ankles. The Formas are wider and more protective than SRS2s and were cheaper than SRS 3s or Sidi TA 3s.
Mr. Afterbar
9/2/2020 10:55am Edited Date/Time 9/2/2020 10:58am
Meister wrote:
Thanks guys. I dont necessarily need the aggressive sole.. I'm mainly moto. I bought them because when I was the ref at a local track, I...
Thanks guys.

The old tech 10's weren't wide enough for me and caused discomfort. The new ones fit like a slipper and I could full on run in them after a few hours break in. Huge improvement from the last gen boot in my opinion. Honestly, I was quite surprised about how good they felt. No issues for me shifting with the size of the toe box wearing a size 13, although that was a concern of mine when I switched from Gaerne to the last gen tech 10.
wrc777
Fantasy
587th
9/2/2020 2:31pm
Crossfire 3 TA are definitely easier to get the toe under the shifter than the Tech 7. Toe box is not quite as wide as the SG12. Heel/ankle area is narrower than SG12. Buckles easier to use than Tech 7. Seem to keep out water better than tech 7 and yet somehow let in a little more cooling air at the top. I'm not sure I can feel the brake any better but that was 50 hours on the tech 7 compared to 3 on the Sidi.
mxracer828
9/2/2020 4:57pm
Pirate421 wrote:
I recently made the jump to gaerne sg10’s. I used to buy whatever boot was on sale but can say that the sg10’s are the best...
I recently made the jump to gaerne sg10’s. I used to buy whatever boot was on sale but can say that the sg10’s are the best I’ve worn. They fit about 1/2 size big so if you wear a 10.5 a 10 is perfect. They needed zero break in and are very comfortable. Well worth the price.
I agree with this fellow. I wear a 10.5/11 and my wife bought me some sg12s size 11 for my birthday. Coming from a pair of fox comp8s ( when I got back riding after 10 year break) those fit very small. These sg12s I should have got a 10.5. With a bigger thicker sock I’ll be good. I used to wear tech 8s back in the day and I loved those boots. These sg12s are stiff with tons of support and a nice memory foam on the ankle. I’d rather take a stiff boot and break it in then a soft boot that has zero protection
biondo
9/2/2020 6:46pm
YZed250 wrote:
I am happy with my Forma Predators. I ride a mix of MX and offroad. I preferred the stitched sole for wider feet, good ankle protection...
I am happy with my Forma Predators. I ride a mix of MX and offroad. I preferred the stitched sole for wider feet, good ankle protection and durability. I typically wear a 9 or 10 street shoe and am comfy in the 9s after trying on everything from 8.5 to 10s.
I was also comfy in a set of Instinct 10s until I chipped the toe cap and couldn't get them fixed. I have worn SG12s before but they always pinched my ankles. The Formas are wider and more protective than SRS2s and were cheaper than SRS 3s or Sidi TA 3s.
Love my Forma MX Terrains! Lot’s of room for knee guards etc ...comfortable and lots
Of protection!
Pirate421
9/2/2020 7:20pm
Meister wrote:
Wore TCX previously. They were nice boots, didn’t like the bootie they had and they were also stiff and heavy compared to the SG’s. The SGs really feel like tennis shoes compared to the tcx.

Post a reply to: Boots.

The Latest