Bought a bike with no title

Hurley payne
Hi so I have a few questions I'm hoping someone will be able to help me answer on here. So yesterday I purchased a 1980 Honda CB750 classic without a title in the state of New Mexico. I was told by the gentleman I bought it from that his brother owns an impound where he had bought it without a title he seems legit and wrote me out a letter not a bill of sale stating who he was and sold it to me for the amount on what day included the VIN as well. I know the first step is to have the vin inspected to make sure it doesn't come up as stolen but by any chance does anybody know how to file for a title in the state of New Mexico if anybody knows the next step after having the VIN inspected I would really appreciate some information
|
TbonesPop
Fantasy
405th
6/24/2018 10:26am
Hi so I have a few questions I'm hoping someone will be able to help me answer on here. So yesterday I purchased a 1980 Honda...
Hi so I have a few questions I'm hoping someone will be able to help me answer on here. So yesterday I purchased a 1980 Honda CB750 classic without a title in the state of New Mexico. I was told by the gentleman I bought it from that his brother owns an impound where he had bought it without a title he seems legit and wrote me out a letter not a bill of sale stating who he was and sold it to me for the amount on what day included the VIN as well. I know the first step is to have the vin inspected to make sure it doesn't come up as stolen but by any chance does anybody know how to file for a title in the state of New Mexico if anybody knows the next step after having the VIN inspected I would really appreciate some information
You need to get a "bonded title". Go to a local auto title agency and have them do all the work for you. Will cost about $200 and in 2-3 weeks, you pick up the title. This assumes the bike is legit and not stolen. The title agency will go through the steps of obtaining a "bonded title". It's a total PITA to do yourself and is worth the ~$200.
plowboy
6/24/2018 10:28am
All states are different. Good place to start is the tag office, local cops or highway patrol....that's all I got.
Jack_Wagon
6/24/2018 10:58am
I would contact an insurance agency that sells surety bonds. They'll have all the forms and info.

The Shop

put_chug
6/24/2018 11:20am
In Ohio you would be screwed. You have to find the person that the title is registered to and have them sign it over to you. The DMV won’t tell you who’s name it’s in either because that’s not public information. I know a guy that owns an impound lot in Ohio. When he wants the title for a vehicle in his lot he will call the owner and offer to forget about the storage/ impound fee if they sign the vehicle over to him. Otherwise he has to go through the courts and a big drawn out process to get the title.
newmann
6/24/2018 11:34am
Signs up today on a dirt bike forum to get a title on a street bike?
kb228
6/24/2018 11:50am
put_chug wrote:
In Ohio you would be screwed. You have to find the person that the title is registered to and have them sign it over to you...
In Ohio you would be screwed. You have to find the person that the title is registered to and have them sign it over to you. The DMV won’t tell you who’s name it’s in either because that’s not public information. I know a guy that owns an impound lot in Ohio. When he wants the title for a vehicle in his lot he will call the owner and offer to forget about the storage/ impound fee if they sign the vehicle over to him. Otherwise he has to go through the courts and a big drawn out process to get the title.
You can get court ordered titles in ohio if you can prove youve owned the bike for a significant amount of time and have proof you have been doing maintenance or upgrades to it. Its a lot more of a pain than paying $200 for a bonded title though
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
6/24/2018 12:12pm
Well at least you didn't find it in the woods.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
405th
6/24/2018 12:19pm
By local title agency you mean a DMV correct?
No, an actual title agency. Here in AZ, I use Desert Title. They have been awesome. Working with the DMV is like a bad STD, they are the poster child for supporting limited government.
Jake125
6/24/2018 12:22pm
Haha another reason I love Texas! All the used bikes I'be bought here, you ask about a title, and they're like, what's a title lol

But if you were in Cali you'd be so screwed even owning a bike without a title, let alone riding it...

But if you need one where you live you can always just file for a 'lost title' or whatever. I've never done it becasue I've never needed to, but other people here will probably know what to do...
JustMX
6/24/2018 1:15pm
Geez, you think the tag office might be the best place to start?

I have bought and sold vehicles in several states and anytime something comes up like this they all handle it differently.

An example would be that in one.state if the bike is over 20 tears old, no title is needed.

Tn government agencies sell a ton of confiscated vehicles that come with a court order that you can take to a tn tag office and get a new title.

Just go to your tag office and ask somebody. If they even hesitate on an answer respectively ask to speak to a supervisor.

Document the conversation with the date and person and ask them if they could show or tell you where the specific guidelines that apply can be found for future use and read them when you get a chance, maybe while you are there in case it is not clear and you have more questions.

jsmi33966
6/24/2018 1:31pm
Get a picture of their DL. I boughy a KX 450 with a fake title lost 6000$. Always get a DL.
6/24/2018 2:34pm
newmann wrote:
Probably found the bike on a trail in Arizona.
rmoto003
6/24/2018 2:44pm
Did dirtbikes in 1980 have titles?? Lol
6/24/2018 3:47pm Edited Date/Time 6/24/2018 3:49pm
Vermont will issue you one.

Pre 1990 (i think) In Ohio will issue you a title with sworn affidavits.
WRH
6/24/2018 4:45pm
rmoto003 wrote:
Did dirtbikes in 1980 have titles?? Lol
In Texas you had a MSO. However banks didn't require them when they were fiananced either. You could go to the tag office and for $35 they would generate one.
pelted
6/24/2018 5:34pm
Some guy podiumed a CB750 in the vet class at Mammoth a couple years ago. It was probably a few model years older though. Them things moto pretty solid.
Hurley payne
6/24/2018 5:49pm
@pelted. Yes these bikes are amazing for their age thats why wheni found it the price was to good to say no
BobbyM
6/24/2018 6:20pm
newmann wrote:
Perfect fit here Newman ?

Post a reply to: Bought a bike with no title

The Latest