Brembo caliper on a Honda?

chuckie108
Edited Date/Time 7/5/2013 7:28am
I've tried all the normal mods- stainless line, Braking rotor, good fresh fluid, braking pads, etc., and I just can't get quite happy with the front brake performance on my CRF. I doesn't help that I rode a KTM all of last year. I'm pretty much convinced that the Nissin caliper just flexes. So I have decided to fit a KTM set up to my Honda. I've searched and searched for any possible way to do this but haven't come across any solutions to get this done. Does anyone have any input, or know of anyone who has done this? I'm guessing that this would be a common mod in Europe as they are so pro Brembo products(rightfully so), so there has to be a caliper bracket out there. Anyone have any leads?
|
jhansen510
Fantasy
3595th
6/25/2013 1:30pm
Have you considered the Ride Engineering caliper?
MR. X
6/25/2013 2:27pm
Become friends with a machinist , start the conversation off with something like " I bet nobody could make a brembo caliper fit on a honda" If he is even half a real machinist he will take that as challenge .
chuckie108
6/25/2013 2:31pm Edited Date/Time 6/25/2013 2:34pm
Yah, I have looked into it actually. The reviews seem lukewarm, so for $375, I'm not really wanting to take a chance. Especially since I know what I'm getting with a KTM setup that can be had on Ebay for considerably less. If there is no bracket out there or another way to do it, the Ride Eng Caliper may be my only option. Thanks for your input.

Any others? Hard to believe there aren't more opinions out there.

I have a friend who is a machinist and he has already offered to make me one, problem is I want to get it on my bike this decade. You know how those buddy side jobs go. :-)
cwtoyota
6/25/2013 2:56pm
Hard to say if the caliper flex is a big issue when you consider how much more elastic-flex you'll feel on the hydraulic end. You probably know a lot of this stuff below, but here are some thoughts on brakes.

I have 3 different YZs, and I run the 2008 honda brake on the front of my oldest bike (a 2002 YZ250).

In 2007 (2008 on the two stroke) Yamaha upgraded their entire brake system. It's worlds better, and although not equal, it's on par with a stock Honda.

From playing around with all of this Yamaha and Honda brake stuff I learned that the master cylinder is where a lot of the improvement comes from.

There is a small hole that lets the fluid into the cylinder from the reservoir. The position of that little hole vs the rubber cup on the piston is crucial in where the M/C picks up pressure. Obviously the rubber cup and the stock nylon braided hose have a lot of elasticity which translates into spongy feeling brakes. Think of it like the port in a two stroke and how that effects the compression ratio.

Bore diameter of the caliper and the M/C combined with the leverage ratio at the lever are also playing a factor... I doubt Brembo and Nissin units have the same specs. A Kawasaki Nissin vs a Honda Nissin is probably a bit different. Yamaha upgraded to an intermediate link in their 2007+ M/C... It makes a difference. Honda has a similar link built into their lever.

Another area is the runout of the front rotor and how well the caliper pins align and float. If the rotor has any runout at all, it will squeeze the pistons back in by at least that amount. If you check your rotor with a dial indicator you should have more than a few thousandths of an inch. Floating rotors help with this aspect, but they seem to bend a lot easier.

Fluid... If you're running the standard DOT 4 brake fluid, it is a hygroscopic and will attract water. So ever 3 to 6 months you should completely flush the fluid out of the system.

Another option is to tear down the system, clean everything 100% free of the DOT 4 fluid and use the silicon based DOT 5 fluid as it doesn't attract water. I think it can be a little tougher to bleed the DOT 5 sometimes, but a vacuum pump bleeder works great because the low pressure causes the air bubbles trapped in the fluid to expand.

If you want to test for caliper flex, get a dial indicator. Put it on a ktm and test how far the caliper spreads when you pull the brake lever. Probably a very small amount of flex... Now check a Honda, etc. If they're within 10% of the same amount of flex I wouldn't worry about it.

The Shop

Rooster
6/25/2013 3:07pm
give the guys at motostrano.com a call. They do a ton of supermoto stuff and have caliper brackets for all sorts of combos. If they don't have it, they can probably get it.
MR. X
6/25/2013 3:25pm
chuckie108 wrote:
Yah, I have looked into it actually. The reviews seem lukewarm, so for $375, I'm not really wanting to take a chance. Especially since I know...
Yah, I have looked into it actually. The reviews seem lukewarm, so for $375, I'm not really wanting to take a chance. Especially since I know what I'm getting with a KTM setup that can be had on Ebay for considerably less. If there is no bracket out there or another way to do it, the Ride Eng Caliper may be my only option. Thanks for your input.

Any others? Hard to believe there aren't more opinions out there.

I have a friend who is a machinist and he has already offered to make me one, problem is I want to get it on my bike this decade. You know how those buddy side jobs go. :-)
Im also guilty of letting side jobs sit on the bench forever .
KBehlingMX
6/25/2013 3:35pm
Someone who I've seen post here does this to his bikes, recently on an rm250. Can't remember his user name. Believe it's Timmerman from Mika metals. Hopefully he sees this and chimes in.
TeamGreen
6/25/2013 3:46pm
Galfer Tsunami 270mm Rotor kit complete w/ their pads...and one of their or a Fresh-Stock brake line...on top of completely rebuilding the Caliper & Master-Cyl.

I know, I know...you've done all that...well...not really. Like I said, "Galfer".

Btw, Chad Sanner @ 11-Ten knows how to put that Brembo on a Honda...
ML512
Fantasy
45th
6/25/2013 3:51pm
I currently am running the galfer 270 tsunami and just put the ride engineering caliper on. It was definetely an improvement! I'd call Adrian at ride engineering. It'll bolt right on without making any special brackets ect...
gotwings
6/25/2013 3:59pm
I can get the front wheel to skid or lift the back wheel off the ground with 2 fingers using the motomaster O/S rotor and stock caliper and pads.
newmann
6/25/2013 4:43pm
About a dozen years ago, there was a little company called Dog Town Brakes I believe located in the same complex as Enzo Racing that would bore out master cylinders and put better internals in them. They still around by chance?? Heard their work was pretty damn good.
TeamGreen
6/25/2013 4:45pm
gotwings wrote:
I can get the front wheel to skid or lift the back wheel off the ground with 2 fingers using the motomaster O/S rotor and stock...
I can get the front wheel to skid or lift the back wheel off the ground with 2 fingers using the motomaster O/S rotor and stock caliper and pads.
You in 6th gear, Bro?
ML512
Fantasy
45th
6/25/2013 5:03pm
newmann wrote:
About a dozen years ago, there was a little company called Dog Town Brakes I believe located in the same complex as Enzo Racing that would...
About a dozen years ago, there was a little company called Dog Town Brakes I believe located in the same complex as Enzo Racing that would bore out master cylinders and put better internals in them. They still around by chance?? Heard their work was pretty damn good.
Well it was in enzo actually, long story.
cwtoyota
6/25/2013 6:08pm
gotwings wrote:
I can get the front wheel to skid or lift the back wheel off the ground with 2 fingers using the motomaster O/S rotor and stock...
The stock brake on a Sky Team Tornado 250 will do that.

There's a lot more to be desired in terms of control and feel in a brake than just stopping power.
sharkey
6/25/2013 6:29pm Edited Date/Time 6/25/2013 6:29pm
you should talk to the guys at crf stuff. there front rotor is the best period. finally rode a honda with one and it was scary it worked so good. theres a reason the factory guys use his stuff
mattbmx63
6/25/2013 8:48pm
Like Sharkey said, check out crfstuff. I've been running their rotor and braided cable on my bikes for a few years. With stock Honda pads and good fluid it feels great. Strong and firm yet controllable. What year bike are you on?
mattbmx63
6/25/2013 8:49pm
I've also heard about using the newer KTM master cylinders on Honda's.
JB 19
6/25/2013 10:20pm
Back when I was riding supermoto I just used my stock Honda 450 setup with a EBC 320 rotor. Granted, we can't use one that big in motocross, but the extra leverage of the big rotor was amazing. I'm surprised the bigger rotor along with the other mods didn't do the trick.

That amount of stopping power on dirt would put you on your face faster than James Stewart on a grass start.
chuckie108
6/26/2013 12:11am
Thanks everyone for the input. Lots of great info.

I've done a bit more research today and bottom line is it will be tough to fit a brembo caliper to a my bike. After talking to some friends in the industry, I'm gonna mount up a brembo master cylinder, mount new Honda pads, and flush with some new AP fluid. I'll see where that gets me. If I'm not satisfied with that, I'll probably give the ride eng caliper a try. Thanks again. :-)
chuckie108
7/5/2013 7:28am
Problem solved: I installed new OEM Honda pads, and the improvement in power was massive. Hard to believe the Braking pads are that inferior but experiencing is believing. Took me a good 20 minutes of nearly tucking the front to readjust LOL. Thanks everyone for your input.
CR250#132
12/3/2016 10:35pm
I run 2017 brembo master cylinders on my hydraulic clutch and front brake, works 10xs better than the nissin brake master and magura clutch master. Eleven10 mods ran brembo rear calipers on their crf250 race bikes in like 2011-12 or so, I've been working with him, he's putting me in contact with the machinist that made his as they would be the same for my 07 cr250, I'm gonna work with designing a front caliper carrier also to go from Honda to brembo hopefully in stock, 260 and 280. If I go through with this how many would be interested, if I get enough interest I will produce them for all Japanese brand bikes and then work on a rear master cylinder adapter. Here is a picture or 2 of my brembo front brake and clutch master cylinders, BTW they are a direct bolt up, must run dot4 or dot5.5 not mineral oil and works worlds better, the front brake is a one finer barely pull n that was with the stock rorotor and nissin caliper, I have since put galfer wave oversized front and rear kit on and its even better, but my
Concern now is the rear. You can go to my profile or my bike check and look or here's a link to a picture https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/users/54819/photos/96494/s1600_20161127_15…
CR250#132
12/3/2016 10:35pm Edited Date/Time 12/3/2016 10:47pm

Both sides have renthal intellilevers which I recommend because you can adjust the reach all the way out to get the hardest longest pull to get them bleed perfectly and you can adjust them to the perfect place for you and their lifetime warranty, both sides also have red works connection reservoir caps and red works connection rotator clamps and yes that's a 2016 kill switch I'm running on my 2007 cr250, as far as I know I'm the only one ever to do that, it just looks and functions better in every way, the light is pointless but IDC. Like I said, those of you who would want front and rear Honda to brembo caliper carriers give me your vote cus I'll have a batch made instead of just 1, your chances of finding an eleven10 mods one are slim to none, I talked directly to the owner and he has none and one made a small batch, ran them on their race bikes when the team was big and sold them to the public for a short time and only sold a couple, if I get interest I start my own site selling full kits, caliper, brackets, line and hardware all in on kit, my hope is to do Honda first, the Yamaha because I have a yz250 to use to make them and the Suzuki/kawi because I believe they are still the same rear carriers and fork lugs, I hope to complete the front caliper carrier for Honda to brembo first and then do rear honda caliper carrier to brembo with a rear master cylinder from Honda to brembo also first tho as I believe Honda riders would be the largest benefactors
CR250#132
12/3/2016 10:52pm
I will take more, better and closer pics from all around but the nissin lines and magura lines go right onto the brembo master cylinders as long as you use a brembo banjo bolt, this should be thru for all map brands also, Yamaha, Suzuki, kawi, I hope my insight has given some answers, again everyone interested in a Honda to brembo bracket front and rear or one or the other let me know, I need to get a large enough order together before I do this and can specify exact price
CR250#132
12/3/2016 10:57pm

This is a photo from the rear so you know for sure they are 2017 brembo master cylinders by how the clamps are on the top
FWYT
12/4/2016 1:18am
Dude, if you want massive stopping power- here's what I did. I mounted one of the smaller Magura four-piston, radial mount calipers (part #0132514) Fab’d a mounting bracket. The rotor has to be spaced out from the hub to get clearance between the caliper and the spokes. I cut the middle out of an old rotor and that gave me a perfectly sano 4mm spacer.
Hole-eeeee-she-iiiiitttt. This mofo STOPS! Most would call it overkill but I like it!!!

Post a reply to: Brembo caliper on a Honda?

The Latest