Budds Creek Working To Save Its National

phatfi20
Edited Date/Time 8/6/2018 5:02pm
I've heard Matthes say on his show "there are 3-4 nationals where the industry is like "why are we here"?" The MD/PA/VA surrounding area already doesn't have a Supercross, unless you consider New York. Steel City was shut down recently.Would be terrible to lose Budds National.

From Budds Creek FB Page:

"Dear Fan's, I gave up Father's Day so the schedule didn't travel from Ca. to Budds and then back to Colorado. Since that move, our date has been moved four times and the Aug. crowd is 1/2. There are three Nationals on the chopping blocks for small crowds, PLEASE PUT AUGUST 19 on your schedule and attend the National and try to ride amateur day.
We start today to move 2,500 loads of fresh dirt to the MX. We are OPEN THIS WEEKEND, Sat, Sun & Memorial Day. Come see the new changes from just three days this weekend.
Thanks to all those who supported Budds over the past four decades, please come to this National. Thank you, Jonathan"
|
aeffertz
5/24/2017 6:03am
Damn, hope it works out for them. Very gracious of them to move their race weekend around to make the traveling for the teams and riders easier.

Hopefully they don't get burned for doing something positive and not being selfish.
mxb2
5/24/2017 6:15am
I heard something similar, might be the last year for budds national. Hope not. Love it there.
early
Fantasy
2212th
5/24/2017 6:17am
So, i wonder which nationals would be on the chopping block?
At this time, safe nationals;
Red bud
Millville
High Point
Ironman
Washougal (?)
Glen Helen (?)
Hangtown (?)

Thoughts?
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
5/24/2017 6:19am
Man, that would suck to lose Budds. Went in 2001 when I was 10 and loved it. Got to ride the track the day after the national. It was gnarly!

The Shop

doghouse
5/24/2017 6:37am
How on earth could Budds be on the chopping block? That makes no sense.
phatfi20
5/24/2017 6:46am Edited Date/Time 5/24/2017 6:47am
doghouse wrote:
ML or GuyB would know. What factors do the powers that be look for in a new national/evaluating an existing national? I would guess attendance $$ mainly.

Also pure speculation...but I've heard Budds has been pressed to make track changes for a while and none were made. I dont think there has been changes to the track since 2007 MXDN. The track used to be reversed every year for the national and sections were always created/changed here and there. Sounds like substantial changes are being made now.
Crush
5/24/2017 6:46am
Don't know what the venue is like but for racing, it always produces the best or tied best with Millville and Thunder Valley.

nc_mx_kid
5/24/2017 6:49am
I've been to many nationals and racetracks over the years and Budd's creek MX is my favorite track as a spectator and as a racer. I hope that its around this year and many more years to come
Markee
Fantasy
1890th
5/24/2017 6:54am
nc_mx_kid wrote:
I've been to many nationals and racetracks over the years and Budd's creek MX is my favorite track as a spectator and as a racer. I...
I've been to many nationals and racetracks over the years and Budd's creek MX is my favorite track as a spectator and as a racer. I hope that its around this year and many more years to come
Same here, awesome place.
doghouse
5/24/2017 6:54am
phatfi20 wrote:
ML or GuyB would know. What factors do the powers that be look for in a new national/evaluating an existing national? I would guess attendance $$...
ML or GuyB would know. What factors do the powers that be look for in a new national/evaluating an existing national? I would guess attendance $$ mainly.

Also pure speculation...but I've heard Budds has been pressed to make track changes for a while and none were made. I dont think there has been changes to the track since 2007 MXDN. The track used to be reversed every year for the national and sections were always created/changed here and there. Sounds like substantial changes are being made now.
I'm sure it does, but I can't imagine it does any worse than some of the random nationals like Ironman. I'm sure the schedule change hurt attendance, but that was a request by the series and more a feather in teh cap of Budds they were able to accommodate.

The track is easily top three, if not outright best, in the series. I'd be shocked if they ditched this race.
JBecker 72
5/24/2017 7:27am
I sure hope not. I ride there often and love the track, also plan on being there for the pro race in August.
ML512
Fantasy
45th
5/24/2017 7:33am
doghouse wrote:
phatfi20 wrote:
ML or GuyB would know. What factors do the powers that be look for in a new national/evaluating an existing national? I would guess attendance $$...

I'm not in the loop as to what venues are considered to be replaced but I do know for new venues location and access means a lot.

I've only rode Budds once, the layout was cool but the prep was horrible. I do love it as a National though.
jmx411
5/24/2017 7:46am
Hated to see Steel City go because it provided great racing, was near a big city, and could see the entire track. It would be awful to see Budds go also. I just can't see what other tracks are on the chopping block.
DC
5/24/2017 8:09am
Three or four nationals on the chopping block? That's the first I've heard of that. Glad to hear Johnathan is making changes. High Point was on Memorial Day for more than twenty years but had to change because of the travel pattern requests of the race teams. It's never an easy decision....

DC
Racer X
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
5/24/2017 8:14am
When Hangtown has so few riders sign up maybe its time for some major changes to the nationals. We hear all the rumors about extending the SX season so maybe there is some truth to them.
tcallahan707
5/24/2017 8:17am
doghouse wrote:
phatfi20 wrote:

They look for the best parking lot near an airport and build a track around it, instead of vice versa.
5/24/2017 8:23am
doghouse wrote:
phatfi20 wrote:

They look for the best parking lot near an airport and build a track around it, instead of vice versa.
Vice versa? So they look for an airport near a track and build a parking lot around it. No wonder I'm always so confused.
tcallahan707
5/24/2017 8:27am
phatfi20 wrote:

Vice versa? So they look for an airport near a track and build a parking lot around it. No wonder I'm always so confused.
You'll get it sorted out. I have faith in you.
5/24/2017 8:29am
You'll get it sorted out. I have faith in you.
LaughingLaughingLaughingTongue
early
Fantasy
2212th
5/24/2017 8:30am
doghouse wrote:
phatfi20 wrote:

Noone has ever built an airport around a MX track, so they'd be in uncharted territory with that.
mb60
5/24/2017 8:31am
kwenske321 wrote:
Bring back Freestone!
How about Red Rock or Cycle Ranch over Freestone ?
Squirtlege
5/24/2017 8:36am
So who's gonna build the airport and parking lot at the StewStew compound.

Mind Blown....
Fearo
5/24/2017 8:37am
The outdoor calendar right now is filled with world class tracks. The only track I think plain sucks (for multiple reasons) is Hangtown, but I understand its legacy so I'm sure it won't be replaced anytime soon.
tcallahan707
5/24/2017 9:07am
phatfi20 wrote:

early wrote:
Noone has ever built an airport around a MX track, so they'd be in uncharted territory with that.
I hope you aren't being serious, but in case you are, I'll explain. They like having easy access to the track and nearby amenities for media, riders, and fans. The mindset is to find a nice facility near an airport, hotels, and restaurants and build a track there (ex. Utah). The result is that the track blows. Vice versa would be finding a sweet track that's already within decent range of an airport (god forbid you gotta drive 2 hours) and upgrade the facility around it.

My comment is more about the mindset than it is a literal application. I will say that it seems like they are starting to revert back on this. I hope that continues. The track should be the first priority when selecting a venue.
kkawboy14
5/24/2017 9:12am
Mexico has a few open dates for that GP track.....
early
Fantasy
2212th
5/24/2017 9:24am
early wrote:
I hope you aren't being serious, but in case you are, I'll explain. They like having easy access to the track and nearby amenities for media...
I hope you aren't being serious, but in case you are, I'll explain. They like having easy access to the track and nearby amenities for media, riders, and fans. The mindset is to find a nice facility near an airport, hotels, and restaurants and build a track there (ex. Utah). The result is that the track blows. Vice versa would be finding a sweet track that's already within decent range of an airport (god forbid you gotta drive 2 hours) and upgrade the facility around it.

My comment is more about the mindset than it is a literal application. I will say that it seems like they are starting to revert back on this. I hope that continues. The track should be the first priority when selecting a venue.
Yes, my comment was a joke just like Harry's. Given that Utah was acknowledged to be a disaster and is off the schedule i dont see where your comment is accurate. I guess you could be talking about Ironman (which i dont consider a bad track for a national) but when you become the series sponsor you can build a track where you want.

Which tracks would you replace?
90smoto
5/24/2017 9:28am Edited Date/Time 5/24/2017 9:28am
doghouse wrote:
phatfi20 wrote:

ML512 wrote:
I'm not in the loop as to what venues are considered to be replaced but I do know for new venues location and access means a...
I'm not in the loop as to what venues are considered to be replaced but I do know for new venues location and access means a lot.

I've only rode Budds once, the layout was cool but the prep was horrible. I do love it as a National though.
I have to agree. Ridden and raced Budds a couple handful of times and it's prep is seriously lacking. Back in the day late 90's early 2000's it was usually really good but later years it's been really shitty conditions. It's good for national pro day but besides that it gets extremely hard pack concrete and not enough prep going into and during the event. Great spectating though and when ripped and watered it's impressive to see how great the track can be.
doghouse
5/24/2017 9:30am
early wrote:
Yes, my comment was a joke just like Harry's. Given that Utah was acknowledged to be a disaster and is off the schedule i dont see...
Yes, my comment was a joke just like Harry's. Given that Utah was acknowledged to be a disaster and is off the schedule i dont see where your comment is accurate. I guess you could be talking about Ironman (which i dont consider a bad track for a national) but when you become the series sponsor you can build a track where you want.

Ironman.
tcallahan707
5/24/2017 9:32am
early wrote:
I hope you aren't being serious, but in case you are, I'll explain. They like having easy access to the track and nearby amenities for media...

early wrote:
Yes, my comment was a joke just like Harry's. Given that Utah was acknowledged to be a disaster and is off the schedule i dont see...

I didn't say that I want to replace any tracks. I also said that it appears they are pulling back from this mindset. Going from Utah to Ironman is the direction I want them to go when considering new venues.

Post a reply to: Budds Creek Working To Save Its National

The Latest