Built Yz125 vs built Ktm 125

7/19/2020 3:28pm
MotoChris wrote:
Races are not won on a dyno. With proper set up either bike can be competitive at a national level. You can see all the post...
Races are not won on a dyno. With proper set up either bike can be competitive at a national level. You can see all the post before this that there are varying opinions. It would probably benefit you to ride each bike for the “feel” of the chassis and ergos and be confident that which ever bike you chose based on those characteristics would be the best for YOU knowing that the power or suspension deficit with either bike could be overcome to a reasonable standard.
Do you know of any ways to test ride these bikes?
7/19/2020 3:35pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Well, the stock KTM/Husky seems to whoop-ass on a mod'd Yamaha. So, there's the answer when it comes to racing. The AER's with the new internals...
Well, the stock KTM/Husky seems to whoop-ass on a mod'd Yamaha. So, there's the answer when it comes to racing.

The AER's with the new internals like the 2020 Rockstar/Red Bull editions have (and the stock 2021s will have...or so I'm led to believe) those new forks work really, really nicley. The stock shock seems awfully damn good, to me.

Also, the stock KTM/Husky motor runs STUPID FAST on T2 mixed at 50:1.
You are a fool. The KTM/HUSKY is junk, doesn’t handle and that motor is junk. The 2 stokes are for old men.
skypig
7/19/2020 4:32pm
You are a fool. The KTM/HUSKY is junk, doesn’t handle and that motor is junk. The 2 stokes are for old men.
Thanks for your insight, and the valuable input.
MotoChris
7/19/2020 4:37pm
MotoChris wrote:
Races are not won on a dyno. With proper set up either bike can be competitive at a national level. You can see all the post...
Races are not won on a dyno. With proper set up either bike can be competitive at a national level. You can see all the post before this that there are varying opinions. It would probably benefit you to ride each bike for the “feel” of the chassis and ergos and be confident that which ever bike you chose based on those characteristics would be the best for YOU knowing that the power or suspension deficit with either bike could be overcome to a reasonable standard.
Do you know of any ways to test ride these bikes?
There were demo ride days at certain tracks pre-COVID but idk if they will be doing that anytime soon. If I were in your position I would ask friends/acquaintances with those bikes to let you take a few laps.

The Shop

7/19/2020 7:41pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
Seems like Ty and Levi would disagree with your statement
Ty Masterpool was head and shoulders above his competition that year. Not surprising. Here are the results from last year. Looks like the consumers disagree with...
Ty Masterpool was head and shoulders above his competition that year. Not surprising. Here are the results from last year.

Looks like the consumers disagree with your statement.

The kid that finished 6th, lead the Last 125 all star race until 3 corners before the finish. New franken is 3 mi outside of Green Bay.
TeamGreen
7/19/2020 10:24pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Well, the stock KTM/Husky seems to whoop-ass on a mod'd Yamaha. So, there's the answer when it comes to racing. The AER's with the new internals...
Well, the stock KTM/Husky seems to whoop-ass on a mod'd Yamaha. So, there's the answer when it comes to racing.

The AER's with the new internals like the 2020 Rockstar/Red Bull editions have (and the stock 2021s will have...or so I'm led to believe) those new forks work really, really nicley. The stock shock seems awfully damn good, to me.

Also, the stock KTM/Husky motor runs STUPID FAST on T2 mixed at 50:1.
I get the feeling this is bait from someone who actually rides a smoker...

Grinning
7/19/2020 11:58pm
I own a 125SX and in most ways it’s brilliant, but the fact that people still have a hard time choosing between a 2020 KTM and a slower 2006 Yamaha means that there is something seriously wrong with the WP r&d department.
pdub187
Fantasy
2499th
7/20/2020 12:02am
I own a pretty trick 2012 YZ125 but if I was buying a new 125 it would have to be a KTM. Those things have a hell of a motor.
cappelmans
7/20/2020 4:02am
KTM, easier to work on, modern reliable 2-stroke engine. Superior clutch.
soggy
Fantasy
3783rd
7/20/2020 5:43am
Motofinne wrote:
I really, really like the Keefers. But that is such a weird move. Either someone is getting paid or his kid is an absolute exception (little...
I really, really like the Keefers. But that is such a weird move. Either someone is getting paid or his kid is an absolute exception (little, little minority) that somehow has a style that suits the YZ better.

I have had the chance to ride both 2020 bikes at the same track on the same day. I can't understand how a rider would pick the YZ if they have the option to get a SX (or TC). And this is coming from me, a guy that has bought 3 brand new 4-stroke Yamahas the last 3 years.

It's not inconceivable that Aiden would like the yz more at his weight. And everyone agrees it's got better suspension stock, which they talk about it working better for Aiden then the ktm.

Y'all need to lay off the conspiracies..
yak651
Fantasy
168th
7/20/2020 6:00am
KTM more HP but reliability suspect. Maybe just my sample size but know 3 people that have had major engine issues with the '19 KTM 125 - maybe they are bad mechanics but they didn't have issues on their 85s so I'm not sure what the root cause is but they have been down a lot.
Carson610
7/20/2020 8:32am
Non-pro, doesn’t matter. Pick which one feels the best to you. Pro class, it’s tough to give up that much horsepower, especially if you’re on the heavier side.
alien
7/20/2020 1:09pm
I'm 200 lb. and my 2018 yz125 pulls hole shots over ktm 150sx and 125sx all the time. At the A class level where just about every racer is running the motor at the limit the extra power may come into play. With vet riders and C class riders the user friendly nature of the Yamaha might result in quicker lap times , we leave so much power unused .
Markee
Fantasy
2006th
7/20/2020 2:41pm
I’m in the camp of having spent tons of money on KTM suspension only to end up unhappy. Tried it all, valving spring conversions etc. based...
I’m in the camp of having spent tons of money on KTM suspension only to end up unhappy. Tried it all, valving spring conversions etc. based on how good the KYB stuff is I‘d go that route personally.
Lets swap bikes next time at south fork.
Tracktor
7/20/2020 3:02pm
Both are good bikes. We have had a bunch of experience with both brands plus a few other 125's. It all comes down to rider preference. My youngest rides TC125's but umped on one buddies YZ125 & loved it then tried a different YZ125 and hated it. He flies on my 96 CR125 and has even done well racing it against the newer bikes at times.

Tech wise & adjustability the KTM/TC wins hands down. Reliability is a toss up. The TC is easier to work on, IMO. The YZ feels wider but handles a bit better out of the box until suspension is tuned...........
Taylor415
7/20/2020 7:39pm
mx98wfo wrote:
Keefer Testing just talked about this on one of his last podcasts. His son is riding 125’s and they tested both but decided that the Yamaha...
Keefer Testing just talked about this on one of his last podcasts. His son is riding 125’s and they tested both but decided that the Yamaha is the better bike as the chassis and suspension are better and it’s easier to go fast on a good chassis with less motor.
BobPA wrote:
Keefer also worked for Yamaha for a large number of years. I have ridden both, the KTM engine is much better out of the box. It...
Keefer also worked for Yamaha for a large number of years.

I have ridden both, the KTM engine is much better out of the box. It is also better after you throw money at it.

You guys must be awfully fussy to hate your suspension that much. My '17 450 is bone stock and handles excellent. 80% of my friends are still on stock suspenders as well...some of them can get around a track pretty well too.

Chassis is a matter of opinion. I hate the two stroke YZ's. They feel like I am riding something from the early 2000's. The modern KTM chassis does everything better IMO.

But, it is all rider preference...see what YOU like, not a bunch of bros on the internet. But, if it were my money, why would you spend top dollar on a bike that saw its last revision 14 or so years ago.
That’s what I’m saying. Too many guys read reviews of pros or past pros about the suspension on the KTM. My 350 is mostly stock suspension wise and had LDR do his WP upgrade on my 150. Both bikes feel awesome! don’t need no Cone Valves to have a nice suspension. Are they awesome? I’m sure they are. A requirement? Hell no. I love how guys get on here and say Cone Valves or KYB inserts are the first mod to do to a KTM when they probably aren’t even running the right rear spring.
Both are great bikes, I haven’t been on a YZ125 since 2006. I’d take a 125sx over The YZ125 all day long. Try them out and see which you like better. What works for some doesnt for others.
Lowlander
7/20/2020 10:22pm
Taylor415 wrote:
That’s what I’m saying. Too many guys read reviews of pros or past pros about the suspension on the KTM. My 350 is mostly stock suspension...
That’s what I’m saying. Too many guys read reviews of pros or past pros about the suspension on the KTM. My 350 is mostly stock suspension wise and had LDR do his WP upgrade on my 150. Both bikes feel awesome! don’t need no Cone Valves to have a nice suspension. Are they awesome? I’m sure they are. A requirement? Hell no. I love how guys get on here and say Cone Valves or KYB inserts are the first mod to do to a KTM when they probably aren’t even running the right rear spring.
Both are great bikes, I haven’t been on a YZ125 since 2006. I’d take a 125sx over The YZ125 all day long. Try them out and see which you like better. What works for some doesnt for others.
Spot on buddy.

So many people could be doing with a suspension seminar and some riding schools instead of blowing a ton of money.

I always hear that a fork sucks when it can be a simple 1/4 turn on a high speed compression adjuster on a shock to completely transform the handling and feel.
AH387
7/21/2020 6:39am
I think it is going to be a preference thing, to be honest. There is no right answer. I chose a YZ for variety of reasons, but I'm not going to be doing anything more than standard bolt-on mods. Even with that, I think the YZ motor is very easy to ride, easier to recover from a mistake and also easier to get into 3rd gear, which back east in the tighter, hillier tracks, is a positive. I also love the YZ chassis and suspension. I own a Husky 350 and have ridden ktm/husky 2strokes and they are great, but I think the YZ chassis handles just as good. Some of that may just be the better suspension. As far as built bikes, There is only so much you can do to a 2strokes. Once the YZ is fully done, they can be made into rockets, just like the KTM. You still might not have the peak numbers but I think the overall power-curve will be the payoff, with the YZ. There are plenty of Yamahas on the gate in the All-star races. Also, I believe in that 125 pro race at Glen Helen last wee 7 of the top 10 were YZs. Nothing wrong with getting a KTM/Husky but I was just pointing out that a YZ isn't really a disadvantage, depending on what you are looking for.
AZRider
7/21/2020 9:32am
I have a 150sx with a few mods and love KTM/Husky, but when my 13 year old moved from his KTM 85 to 125s, I put him on a YZ. Why? He is much faster and comfy on the YZ than the KTM. He weighs 100lbs and even after swapping springs and adjusting, the KTM was still not as easy to ride and keep on the pipe. I look at the YZ as a 125 lite. When he needs more power, probably time for the KTM. The YZ is a better beginner/nov 125 IMO
Braaaphole
7/21/2020 4:39pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
Seems like Ty and Levi would disagree with your statement
Man, Ty was on a factory bike and that thing was nasty. You may be able to get a YZ built to put up numbers close to what his did, but no one is going to want to pay for the maintenance on a bike that high strung unless they are at the level of Ty and Levi.
Ty was also going to win that class no matter what bike he was on. I was there and watched every single moto, he was on a different level.
TSCHAM101
7/21/2020 4:46pm
i think if you can get cone valves.. go KTM.. if not.. go YZ.
Donkey Kong
7/21/2020 4:47pm
Motofinne wrote:
I really, really like the Keefers. But that is such a weird move. Either someone is getting paid or his kid is an absolute exception (little...
I really, really like the Keefers. But that is such a weird move. Either someone is getting paid or his kid is an absolute exception (little, little minority) that somehow has a style that suits the YZ better.

I have had the chance to ride both 2020 bikes at the same track on the same day. I can't understand how a rider would pick the YZ if they have the option to get a SX (or TC). And this is coming from me, a guy that has bought 3 brand new 4-stroke Yamahas the last 3 years.

Dude, Keefers kid is racing C class not pro nationals it does not matter either way. 450C at LL has been won on 250 2 strokes. The bikes at this level does not matter in terms of peak potential. And guess what different riders like different bikes, there is no one true bike. Also a conspiracy about Keefer getting paid to run YZ125s in C class? Lmao
T-Fish
Fantasy
199th
7/21/2020 9:15pm
54 comments in and zero photos of bad ass bikes. Fuck is wrong with you guys?

RCN4HIM
7/21/2020 9:22pm
T-Fish wrote:
54 comments in and zero photos of bad ass bikes. Fuck is wrong with you guys?

Here you go... YZ 125 with Tom Morgan Mods all day... We did the KTM SX 125 and the bike was junk after 30 hrs... The crank on our YZ lasted 102!
Rickyisms
7/21/2020 10:55pm
160 hard hours my favorite bike I’ve ever owned. Raced everything from moto to winning a hare scramble championship. Pro circuit built the motor and Billy at Powerband worked his magic with the suspension. Trying to figure out what to do for graphics but this bike is an absolute blast.
Ray Knight
7/21/2020 11:46pm Edited Date/Time 7/21/2020 11:47pm
I've got both. 19 TC125 and 14 YZ125 (Gared Steinke's old 2015 season nationals bike). The TC125 has a PC pipe, reeds, Kehin, red PV spring, RK Tek head and F1 PV arms. The YZ125 is a full national Haeseker built engine with EVERYTHING. The TC125 is faster stock and a LOT faster modified. The YZ125 is a lot easier to ride fast. Power comes on easier and lower and the chassis and suspension are perfection. The KTM/Husky seem to hold up better. Bearings last longer, overall quality i would say is a step or 2 higher but the YZ125 is just flat out the easiest 125 ever to ride fast. The KTM engine makes more power any way you slice it but its harder to access and more explosive in nature. The YZ will hang with it anywhere though. Even with the 40+HP national motor its just on par with the stock KTM. It makes up for it in easy to use power spread and chassis/suspension. I can turn faster laps on the YZ at just about every track. If you want to save a ton of money go with the KTM or Husky. Figure out the carb situation (the Mikuni is tuned horribly), do the RK head and red PV spring then put the rest into a suspension revalve and you are good to go. The Yamaha you will spend $3500+ for a 125cc motor that can hang with the KTM. Suspension you can race stock. Just springs for your weight and its good to go for 90% of people. Its the engine work that will run up the bill real quick. As far as service i find the KTM/HQV bikes are much easier to work on. I've dome frame up builds on both.
JMX82
7/22/2020 12:39am
Ray Knight wrote:
I've got both. 19 TC125 and 14 YZ125 (Gared Steinke's old 2015 season nationals bike). The TC125 has a PC pipe, reeds, Kehin, red PV spring...
I've got both. 19 TC125 and 14 YZ125 (Gared Steinke's old 2015 season nationals bike). The TC125 has a PC pipe, reeds, Kehin, red PV spring, RK Tek head and F1 PV arms. The YZ125 is a full national Haeseker built engine with EVERYTHING. The TC125 is faster stock and a LOT faster modified. The YZ125 is a lot easier to ride fast. Power comes on easier and lower and the chassis and suspension are perfection. The KTM/Husky seem to hold up better. Bearings last longer, overall quality i would say is a step or 2 higher but the YZ125 is just flat out the easiest 125 ever to ride fast. The KTM engine makes more power any way you slice it but its harder to access and more explosive in nature. The YZ will hang with it anywhere though. Even with the 40+HP national motor its just on par with the stock KTM. It makes up for it in easy to use power spread and chassis/suspension. I can turn faster laps on the YZ at just about every track. If you want to save a ton of money go with the KTM or Husky. Figure out the carb situation (the Mikuni is tuned horribly), do the RK head and red PV spring then put the rest into a suspension revalve and you are good to go. The Yamaha you will spend $3500+ for a 125cc motor that can hang with the KTM. Suspension you can race stock. Just springs for your weight and its good to go for 90% of people. Its the engine work that will run up the bill real quick. As far as service i find the KTM/HQV bikes are much easier to work on. I've dome frame up builds on both.
Have tried mellowing out your Husqvarna power delivery by testing different power valve springs and adjusting spring tension to make it easier to ride? It sounds like you might have too aggressive set up which transfers to slower lap times with the Husky
kage173
7/22/2020 4:52am
C'mon bro. You're not a vet rider coming back after 10 years off and looking for a practice day bike.

If you're racing schoolboy 1 then you know what all the kids in your class are running. It's an ocean of orange and white with some blue sprinkled around mid pack.

You already know the answer.
Ray Knight
7/22/2020 7:00am
JMX82 wrote:
Have tried mellowing out your Husqvarna power delivery by testing different power valve springs and adjusting spring tension to make it easier to ride? It sounds...
Have tried mellowing out your Husqvarna power delivery by testing different power valve springs and adjusting spring tension to make it easier to ride? It sounds like you might have too aggressive set up which transfers to slower lap times with the Husky
Yes i've played with that a bunch. I LOVE that bike. Its not intimidating or anything like that. I've got much faster bikes than my 125s. Its the way the YZ just rolls on early and the broad easy to ride delivery that makes it feel slower but its a bit easier to control and ride smooth. Engines are close to call. The KTM engine has more torque and pulls harder while the YZ engine revs more freely and needs less clutch out of corners. You could flip either engine in either bike and i like them both. The YZ suspension is better in every situation. Especially braking bumps and whoops. The bike is easier to keep the wheels stuck to the dirt. If i had to keep one bike or the other i would keep the Husky. I like the quality of the bike better and ergonomics/fit is better for me, love the Magura clutch, easier to work on, more adjustable, etc. Its an awesome package. If i want the fastest lap times the YZ really is faster for me.

Post a reply to: Built Yz125 vs built Ktm 125

The Latest