CTE caused by repeated hits, not by concussions....

tcallahan707
1/19/2018 7:34pm
It still doesnt really mean anything. It seems like research is conducted just so we can point our finger at something and say, "that's what caused...
It still doesnt really mean anything. It seems like research is conducted just so we can point our finger at something and say, "that's what caused his CTE, cancer, heart failure, etc." Pastrana could live to be 100 with no neurological deficits.

People who smoke every day still live to be 100 and perfectly healthy kids get cancer. People walk out of doctors offices with a clean bill of health and drop dead the next day.

Shut up with your logical sense. We are trying to save lives here by forcing everyone to live in an inflatable bubble. Bet the bubblers still...
Shut up with your logical sense. We are trying to save lives here by forcing everyone to live in an inflatable bubble. Bet the bubblers still die between 60-100 years old with various forms of dementia, or of totally sound mind.

If we only got one life to live.....let us do whatever the hell we wanna do.
Im all for freedom of choice. The problem with this topic is, once CTE sets in, you're no longer making "choices". You will exhibit behaviour that...
Im all for freedom of choice.

The problem with this topic is, once CTE sets in, you're no longer making "choices". You will exhibit behaviour that is not yours. Things get out of your control. Others could get hurt.

But dont get me wrong, Im a huge proponent of natural selection. Kids wanna eat Tide Pods? Have at it. That's 5 less idiots I have to deal with in traffic on the freeway from now on.

But I also want the information available. I dont want to bury my head in the sand on any topic. It doesnt help any of us.
Well said.
1/19/2018 8:06pm
:laugh: Ever heard of the phrase "exception, not the rule"? Your post is short sighted. Research helps us understand our world better, and it's cumulative effect...
Laughing Ever heard of the phrase "exception, not the rule"? Your post is short sighted. Research helps us understand our world better, and it's cumulative effect is that we have less and less exceptions because we understand the rule so well. We have literally eradicated some diseases that used to kill people from the planet. But that doesn't mean anything right?

The real issue is all the noise that gets in the way of the research. Science takes a backseat to many other things like politics, emotions, and money. C_Class_Hero said it well.
Eradicating diseases with vaccines or hand washing is a little different than saying that bumping your head may or may not contribute to neurological problems later in life. If people actually took all this research to heart then McDonald's would be out of business, but it isn't.

Funny you mention money effecting research. I beat this drum every time we discuss concussions, but there are proteins that are released when you have brain damage. We use the same technology to diagnose heart attacks. It is used in other countries, but the NFL funds concussion research in the US, so we will probably never use it.
1/19/2018 8:33pm Edited Date/Time 1/19/2018 8:40pm
It still doesnt really mean anything. It seems like research is conducted just so we can point our finger at something and say, "that's what caused...
It still doesnt really mean anything. It seems like research is conducted just so we can point our finger at something and say, "that's what caused his CTE, cancer, heart failure, etc." Pastrana could live to be 100 with no neurological deficits.

People who smoke every day still live to be 100 and perfectly healthy kids get cancer. People walk out of doctors offices with a clean bill of health and drop dead the next day.

Healthy kids getting cancer cannot be healthy in the first place but you know that :D.

Kids are in a pretty bad environment these days, GMO's, WiFi radiation and other factors that people don't want to hear.

They tell us we are getting healthier with all these beautiful science revelations like vaccines yet kid's are getting cancer more than ever.
tcallahan707
1/19/2018 9:56pm Edited Date/Time 1/19/2018 10:02pm
:laugh: Ever heard of the phrase "exception, not the rule"? Your post is short sighted. Research helps us understand our world better, and it's cumulative effect...
Laughing Ever heard of the phrase "exception, not the rule"? Your post is short sighted. Research helps us understand our world better, and it's cumulative effect is that we have less and less exceptions because we understand the rule so well. We have literally eradicated some diseases that used to kill people from the planet. But that doesn't mean anything right?

The real issue is all the noise that gets in the way of the research. Science takes a backseat to many other things like politics, emotions, and money. C_Class_Hero said it well.
Eradicating diseases with vaccines or hand washing is a little different than saying that bumping your head may or may not contribute to neurological problems later...
Eradicating diseases with vaccines or hand washing is a little different than saying that bumping your head may or may not contribute to neurological problems later in life. If people actually took all this research to heart then McDonald's would be out of business, but it isn't.

Funny you mention money effecting research. I beat this drum every time we discuss concussions, but there are proteins that are released when you have brain damage. We use the same technology to diagnose heart attacks. It is used in other countries, but the NFL funds concussion research in the US, so we will probably never use it.
They all started with a hypothesis, some research, some refinement, and likely many obstacles outside of the scientific realm. The point is that they didn't invent a vaccine out of thin air. It took time and many failures and false theories to get it right. It's short sighted to not think about the impact that the current research is going to have on future understandings of CTE and other neurological problems. As for McDonald's, they may not be out of business but they have changed their menu quite frequently as of late. The masses may be slow to adopt, again due to obstacles outside of the science, but I don't think it's fair to say "it still doesn't really mean anything".

I have heard about the proteins. I certainly wouldn't doubt the league is actively pushing back against advancement. That's why I support these lawsuits like my coach's brother was involved in. It's not that I believe the NHL, or any other league, is negligent or even responsible for things that happened before they were aware. But I do believe it is their responsibility to keep the safety standards on par with the science. Unfortunately, lawsuits are the only real way that is going to happen. People and organizations just don't do the right thing on their own when so much money (especially other people's money) is involved. I wouldn't be shocked if the AMA or SNELL or anyone else related to motorcycle related head injuries is on the other end of a suit. It's naive to think it isn't going to catch up with them at some point. Proactive vs. reactive...

The Shop

captmoto
1/19/2018 10:17pm
The thing no one has mentioned is that concussions have a cumulative effect on your brain. You are also at a higher risk of concussion if you take another shot before you are deemed to be fully recovered. I don't know how recovered you are if your next concussion causes additional damage that doesn't go away.
My BIL was concussed in a HS football game. This was in the 70's so all he got was the old how many fingers am I holding up? He went back in the game but didn't remember it. My MIL was highly pissed.
I think I have had 5 concussions in my life. I did have one that caused nausea and vomiting, the rest were just a little achy but felt fine the next day.
gnarwhip
1/19/2018 10:31pm
What about repeated concussions? I'm fucked lol
1/19/2018 10:49pm
There was another study outlining youth. It basically showed that elite students showed sudden drastic drop offs in their school performance after just a few seasons...
There was another study outlining youth. It basically showed that elite students showed sudden drastic drop offs in their school performance after just a few seasons of soccer. It was quite significant.

I believe as a result their is a movement to push for heading to be banned at the youth level.
My performance at school dropped off after just one season of mx....I wasn't interested in anything else, I was going to be the next McGrath.
Tuna
1/20/2018 4:38am
captmoto wrote:
The thing no one has mentioned is that concussions have a cumulative effect on your brain. You are also at a higher risk of concussion if...
The thing no one has mentioned is that concussions have a cumulative effect on your brain. You are also at a higher risk of concussion if you take another shot before you are deemed to be fully recovered. I don't know how recovered you are if your next concussion causes additional damage that doesn't go away.
My BIL was concussed in a HS football game. This was in the 70's so all he got was the old how many fingers am I holding up? He went back in the game but didn't remember it. My MIL was highly pissed.
I think I have had 5 concussions in my life. I did have one that caused nausea and vomiting, the rest were just a little achy but felt fine the next day.
You don’t ever recover. I still suffer from post concussion syndrome and my last one was 5 years ago. Every time you hit your head, not even concuss yourself the healing process often starts over again. I still ride at least a couple times a week but I certainly don’t ride as hard and fast as I used to. Quite often when you get a concussion you also get a whiplash injury. Put the two together and it’s even more symptoms and recovery time.
StellARrr
1/20/2018 5:23am
Healthy kids getting cancer cannot be healthy in the first place but you know that :D. Kids are in a pretty bad environment these days, GMO's...
Healthy kids getting cancer cannot be healthy in the first place but you know that :D.

Kids are in a pretty bad environment these days, GMO's, WiFi radiation and other factors that people don't want to hear.

They tell us we are getting healthier with all these beautiful science revelations like vaccines yet kid's are getting cancer more than ever.
Cancer is generally caused by some sort of mutation event at the molecular level. While environmental factors play a role and genetics sometimes play a role, there is also a bit of randomness in these events....so I don't understand why you said healthy kids can't get cancer.

A kid can be born with one of the alleles of the Rb1 genes mutated and still be considered completely healthy (with functional retinablastoma protein), nobody would even know it was mutated. That is until the 2nd allele of Rb1 gene picks up a mutation leading in a nonfunctional retinoblastoma protein....then BAM all of a sudden the cell cycle lost an important inhibitory protein that regulates cell growth. Once that step in that tightly regulated cycle isn't functional, you have cell survival in cells that would normally be signaled for self-death or molecular repair and potentially excessive cell growth. The child would still appear to be perfectly healthy until the cell growth reached a point where it can visually be detected in the retina.

Unhealthy people may be considered to be at an increased risk of cancer due to lifestyle choices and environmental factors, but healthy people can and do get cancer.

reded
1/20/2018 5:37am
My performance at school dropped off after just one season of mx....I wasn't interested in anything else, I was going to be the next McGrath.
Sounds exactly like my 4yrs of high school.
StellARrr
1/20/2018 5:40am
acres951 wrote:
Makes sense.

Also, I seem to recall a couple of weeks ago where they were able to diagnose CTE in a living person, no?
Yes....well it appears they had to wait for him to die to be able to confirm the diagnosis was correct and then they probably waited until the paper was accepted for publication before any press releases were made.

1/20/2018 5:55am
That’s not CTE though. Seems more like a symptom of an addiction. Another dark side of mx no one talks about.
Johnny Depp
1/20/2018 8:15am Edited Date/Time 1/20/2018 9:06am
This is what the future looks like:

Flexible helmet shells are also a reality now.

Liners are available now

toroP
1/20/2018 9:31am
bultokid wrote:
The poons and snowflakes will be golf clapping this one....of course after they put on protective gloves, goggles and helmet just in case a speck of...
The poons and snowflakes will be golf clapping this one....of course after they put on protective gloves, goggles and helmet just in case a speck of dirt flies up into their eyes from clapping and makes them fall backward into the sofa and hit their head on a throw pillow

Seriously though, heck yeah have to keep improving safety gear but is it going to make you stop riding, playing hockey, football or whatever you really enjoy in life ? Live life and enjoy it, the choice is YOURS, our time to do that is short enough as it is
Seems the issue is men who think like boys. Rather than weighing the cost to the family they have responsibity to, they just consider the cost to their fun time.

Imagine the potential of dementia at age 60, for example, and the cost financially and emotionally to loved ones, and add that to the pros and cons.

Life is dangerous and always ends in death. And yes, it’s short, but it’s not just about maximizing fun for ourselves.
Joko
Fantasy
239th
1/20/2018 9:37am
So I’d surmise that even bottoming out over a big jump, no crashing, could cause damage to the brain !?
Top End
1/20/2018 10:00am
I remember when Dave Mirra, the first action sports athlete to be diagnosed with chronic traumatic encephalopathy, a neurodegenerative disease that can lead to dementia, memory loss and depression. His wife and friends spoke out about the signs of it unfortunately it was to late.

http://www.espn.com/action/story/_/id/15613973/dave-mirra-hero-death-ct…
bultokid
1/20/2018 10:01am
bultokid wrote:
The poons and snowflakes will be golf clapping this one....of course after they put on protective gloves, goggles and helmet just in case a speck of...
The poons and snowflakes will be golf clapping this one....of course after they put on protective gloves, goggles and helmet just in case a speck of dirt flies up into their eyes from clapping and makes them fall backward into the sofa and hit their head on a throw pillow

Seriously though, heck yeah have to keep improving safety gear but is it going to make you stop riding, playing hockey, football or whatever you really enjoy in life ? Live life and enjoy it, the choice is YOURS, our time to do that is short enough as it is
toroP wrote:
Seems the issue is men who think like boys. Rather than weighing the cost to the family they have responsibity to, they just consider the cost...
Seems the issue is men who think like boys. Rather than weighing the cost to the family they have responsibity to, they just consider the cost to their fun time.

Imagine the potential of dementia at age 60, for example, and the cost financially and emotionally to loved ones, and add that to the pros and cons.

Life is dangerous and always ends in death. And yes, it’s short, but it’s not just about maximizing fun for ourselves.
Different views on what is living I guess. I am 55, have raised 3 kids, served 5 years in Army and been playing sports my entire life as well as mx for 40+ years. Would it suck to check out at 60 from CTE ? sure but living in fear till i am 80---pass. My uncle who was loaded but never did anything told me shortly before he passed "If I had to do it all over again I would have lived it up. Ride your bike, have fun as long as you can, nothing worse than getting to the point where your body just can't do it anymore and wishing you'd have done it". If your idea of being a man is living it safe as possible I respect that as I'd also like to live to see my great-grandkids but I'd rather enjoy life while I still physically can
brocster
1/20/2018 10:47am
bultokid wrote:

toroP wrote:
Seems the issue is men who think like boys. Rather than weighing the cost to the family they have responsibity to, they just consider the cost...

Preserving yourself (not doing anything dangerous for fun) doesn’t give you longevity. It’s all a farse, so why not do what you enjoy while you are here. Been around too many folk waiting to do things until after retirement only to never get there...
kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
1/20/2018 11:02am Edited Date/Time 1/20/2018 11:06am
It’s the multiple, rapid coup contrecoup with the protein formations in relation to prions, CTE, BSE (mad cow),scrapie, canabilisim, etc.
1/22/2018 10:12pm
captmoto wrote:
The thing no one has mentioned is that concussions have a cumulative effect on your brain. You are also at a higher risk of concussion if...
They say you never actually "recover" from a concussion.

The brain is damaged. You are dumber as a result. And what feels like "recovery" is just you getting used to your new surroundings. The brain does it's best to sorta rewire itself and work around the damaged area and loss of brain power. But to say anything actually has "healed" or "recovered" would be a inaccurate use of those terms.

That is VERY scary when you think about it.
1/22/2018 10:17pm
bultokid wrote:

toroP wrote:

Well said.

Some will argue that "preserving oneself" is a waste. They are missing the point. There's a big difference between preserving our bodies and preserving our brains so that we dont one day suffer or harm our loved ones.

I like living life to the fullest just like the next guy. Im not out blowing rails of cocaine tho. I gotta weigh out fun versus long term risks. And everyone will have a different opinion on that, which is fine. I just dont understand why they want to suppress the research tho.
1/22/2018 10:25pm
Top End wrote:
I remember when Dave Mirra, the first action sports athlete to be diagnosed with chronic traumatic encephalopathy, a neurodegenerative disease that can lead to dementia, memory...
I remember when Dave Mirra, the first action sports athlete to be diagnosed with chronic traumatic encephalopathy, a neurodegenerative disease that can lead to dementia, memory loss and depression. His wife and friends spoke out about the signs of it unfortunately it was to late.

http://www.espn.com/action/story/_/id/15613973/dave-mirra-hero-death-ct…
And that is just the story that makes the news.

There are MANY athletes out there suffering. And their families are suffering as well. NFL players beating their wives is WAAAAY more common than any realize. And it's probably due to CTE. I got friends in those circles and they arent shy about the topic but the topic isnt mainstream. Knowing just how much that is swept under the rug tho, I gotta wonder how prevalent CTE related depression & domestic violence is in the action sports world? I have family who are former action sport pro's. Lotsa friends. Post career depression is a VERY common theme. I cant say it's CTE related for sure. Some of it is drugs. Some of it is just the harsh reality of no longer being in the limelight or having that next race to live for. It's impossible to diagnose but I cant help but wonder how big CTE's role in it is.
1/23/2018 3:59am
Sheriff245 wrote:
That’s not CTE though. Seems more like a symptom of an addiction. Another dark side of mx no one talks about.
That was the point I was making with regards to heading a football and school performance, to many other factors involved. Stay at school and get a mediocre job, concentrate on ball and make millions...
tcallahan707
1/23/2018 4:35am
At the end of the day, let's learn as much as we can so we can make the most informed decision on how we want to live our lives. Some are willing to risk it more than others and some are wanting to play it safe. Neither is wrong. I'd just prefer to have the research in front of me so I can choose what's best for me and my (future) kids.
1/23/2018 7:12am Edited Date/Time 1/23/2018 7:14am
At the end of the day, let's learn as much as we can so we can make the most informed decision on how we want to...
At the end of the day, let's learn as much as we can so we can make the most informed decision on how we want to live our lives. Some are willing to risk it more than others and some are wanting to play it safe. Neither is wrong. I'd just prefer to have the research in front of me so I can choose what's best for me and my (future) kids.
It's when the research is used as a stick to tell others what they should be doing it becomes a problem, or when your insurance premiums go up because you may now suffer from CTE in the future...
1/23/2018 9:09am
No one is holding back the blood tests that looks for proteins in the blood after concussions. Two companies are actively developing such a test right now. Saying they use "the same technology as heart disease" is not exactly correct. It's the same rough strategy but different protein targets. The number of dead brain cells is also lower than the number of damaged heart cells, so it's tougher to detect. It's a miracle the proteins can get across the blood-brain-barrier, but that barrier likely opens when there is damage.

It takes time to get these tests to work, and to get the FDA to approve such a dianostic. There could be great harm to people if the tests aren't accurate. I can guarantee you that no league can stop companies from developing such a test.

1/23/2018 9:47am
No one is holding back the blood tests that looks for proteins in the blood after concussions. Two [url=https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/simple-blood-tests-for-rapid-concussion-diagnosis/]companies [/url]are actively developing such a test right...
No one is holding back the blood tests that looks for proteins in the blood after concussions. Two companies are actively developing such a test right now. Saying they use "the same technology as heart disease" is not exactly correct. It's the same rough strategy but different protein targets. The number of dead brain cells is also lower than the number of damaged heart cells, so it's tougher to detect. It's a miracle the proteins can get across the blood-brain-barrier, but that barrier likely opens when there is damage.

It takes time to get these tests to work, and to get the FDA to approve such a dianostic. There could be great harm to people if the tests aren't accurate. I can guarantee you that no league can stop companies from developing such a test.

No league can stop the momentum now. But we are probably 20 years behind where we could be due to their efforts to suppress this topic for as long as they did.
1/23/2018 9:54am
At the end of the day, let's learn as much as we can so we can make the most informed decision on how we want to...
It's when the research is used as a stick to tell others what they should be doing it becomes a problem, or when your insurance premiums...
It's when the research is used as a stick to tell others what they should be doing it becomes a problem, or when your insurance premiums go up because you may now suffer from CTE in the future...
You are BOTH right.

tcallahan hit it on the head perfectly.

But I totally understand where Andy is coming from on this. I would suspect that much of the negative feedback on this topic is from people scared this will be treated like a 2nd Amendment debate and the result will be a loss of freedoms. In that regard, I can totally sympathize with anyone who is defensive. We do have a tendency to take things too far in the name of safety and as a result completely miss the mark.

Gun control is a perfect example. Mental health should be the issue, yet it is ignored. The knee jerk reaction is to try to disarm the public.

If brain trauma research leads to tests that allow us to one diagnose CTE in a living patient, and that means you have to give up your dirtbike and other contact sports, I would hope any of us do the right thing there. It means we've had our fun and it's time to put our loved ones first.

Andy, if you tested positive for early CTE signs, would you be able or willing to give up certain freedoms? Would any of us? Would we be of sound mind to make the decision on our own?
1/23/2018 10:35am
You are BOTH right. tcallahan hit it on the head perfectly. But I totally understand where Andy is coming from on this. I would suspect that...
You are BOTH right.

tcallahan hit it on the head perfectly.

But I totally understand where Andy is coming from on this. I would suspect that much of the negative feedback on this topic is from people scared this will be treated like a 2nd Amendment debate and the result will be a loss of freedoms. In that regard, I can totally sympathize with anyone who is defensive. We do have a tendency to take things too far in the name of safety and as a result completely miss the mark.

Gun control is a perfect example. Mental health should be the issue, yet it is ignored. The knee jerk reaction is to try to disarm the public.

If brain trauma research leads to tests that allow us to one diagnose CTE in a living patient, and that means you have to give up your dirtbike and other contact sports, I would hope any of us do the right thing there. It means we've had our fun and it's time to put our loved ones first.

Andy, if you tested positive for early CTE signs, would you be able or willing to give up certain freedoms? Would any of us? Would we be of sound mind to make the decision on our own?
Depends on the freedoms you are talking, if it's the freedom to make my own choices that would be a big no.
Being able to declare someone medically unfit to make sound decisions has very big implications.
1/23/2018 11:12am
Depends on the freedoms you are talking, if it's the freedom to make my own choices that would be a big no. Being able to declare...
Depends on the freedoms you are talking, if it's the freedom to make my own choices that would be a big no.
Being able to declare someone medically unfit to make sound decisions has very big implications.
If you were diagnosed with early signs of CTE, caused due to prolonged minor trauma due to action sports (not talking big injuries, just a cumulative effect of being on the bike)... would you give up riding? First we thought it was just concussions, now we are seeing that it's "repeated hits". How long before research shows a 30 minute moto or 2 hours up and down the basketball court is enough vibration to damage something as sensitive as a brain?

I mean, the very nature of brain trauma like CTE is that you arent actually making your own sound choices. Lotsa current and former NFL players are suffering with this right now. Trust me, they dont WANT to beat their wives. They're often wondering WTF just happened during the aftermath. Everyone in that situation is suffering.

Your second point is super valid. It's pandora's box for sure. I think most people in this country are both medically AND intellectually unfit to even vote, let alone be allowed to drive a car. But if you start taking away everyone's participation trophies they'd shit kittens because everyone is so damn entitled. And that is if the system was implemented fairly. Which we know it wouldnt because humans sorta suck and take advantage of every opportunity to exploit situations.

So I gotta agree with what you're saying in that regard. Less rules the better.

Post a reply to: CTE caused by repeated hits, not by concussions....

The Latest