Calling all Southern NM riders

colvin227
WHERE ARE THE GOOD SPOTS to ride out there. I’m military and being reassigned to New Mexico. Alamogordo to be specific, so it’s far south almost near Texas border. Looking online it shows the only track Nearby is TulieMx. However, it looks like they don’t do open practice and they are only open during race weekends. I’m leaving NorCal which I’ve been spoiled with numerous local tracks all open multiple days during the week for open practice. So any help in steering me in the right direction so I can get some seat time, preferably track would be greatly appretitated.

I know the whole state is desert, so there’s that, but more interested in track ridin. Lemme know what you Guys in NM/north Texas got?
|
CSAR FE
12/15/2018 3:00pm
colvin227 wrote:
WHERE ARE THE GOOD SPOTS to ride out there. I’m military and being reassigned to New Mexico. Alamogordo to be specific, so it’s far south almost...
WHERE ARE THE GOOD SPOTS to ride out there. I’m military and being reassigned to New Mexico. Alamogordo to be specific, so it’s far south almost near Texas border. Looking online it shows the only track Nearby is TulieMx. However, it looks like they don’t do open practice and they are only open during race weekends. I’m leaving NorCal which I’ve been spoiled with numerous local tracks all open multiple days during the week for open practice. So any help in steering me in the right direction so I can get some seat time, preferably track would be greatly appretitated.

I know the whole state is desert, so there’s that, but more interested in track ridin. Lemme know what you Guys in NM/north Texas got?
The next tracks available to you in NM are in Gallup (I think), Aztec and Moriarty, both of which are a few hours away from Holloman. You will be in the presence of some world-class desert/off-road areas, though. The state doesn't give a shit about OHV stickers and spark arrestors (unless you are up in the national forest), so at least you can go ride somewhere until you get a long weekend to take a drive to one of the tracks.
12/15/2018 4:14pm
Tulie, Moriarty are the best ones in the area, El Paso is only an hour and a half South and there is a track there, but nothing like the other two. Some good single track just East of Alamogordo in Cloudcroft and Ruidoso. Other than that, it's mainly Desert riding down South. Do yourself a favor and go to Southwest Suzuki / Kawasaki / Beta and talk with Dave. He's the owner, and also an avid off road rider and will know everywhere to ride worth riding in that area. I'm two hours West of there and have the desert out my back door for riding.
colvin227
12/15/2018 5:26pm
colvin227 wrote:
WHERE ARE THE GOOD SPOTS to ride out there. I’m military and being reassigned to New Mexico. Alamogordo to be specific, so it’s far south almost...

CSAR FE wrote:
The next tracks available to you in NM are in Gallup (I think), Aztec and Moriarty, both of which are a few hours away from Holloman...
The next tracks available to you in NM are in Gallup (I think), Aztec and Moriarty, both of which are a few hours away from Holloman. You will be in the presence of some world-class desert/off-road areas, though. The state doesn't give a shit about OHV stickers and spark arrestors (unless you are up in the national forest), so at least you can go ride somewhere until you get a long weekend to take a drive to one of the tracks.
Thanks guys, yeah just going to be an adjustment it seems cause all the tracks here in Cali are open every weekend and at least one day during the week too regardless of race or not. But I get it, demand drives that kind of stuff but you could easily ride a nice prepped track 2-3 times a week if you wanted. Thanks CSAR for the recommendation on a shop cause that was my next question is what’s the best local HONEST shop near. Going to have to turn into a desert rat and do some more “off road” stuff I guess out of necessity haha
Wade221
12/15/2018 5:39pm
colvin227 wrote:
Thanks guys, yeah just going to be an adjustment it seems cause all the tracks here in Cali are open every weekend and at least one...
Thanks guys, yeah just going to be an adjustment it seems cause all the tracks here in Cali are open every weekend and at least one day during the week too regardless of race or not. But I get it, demand drives that kind of stuff but you could easily ride a nice prepped track 2-3 times a week if you wanted. Thanks CSAR for the recommendation on a shop cause that was my next question is what’s the best local HONEST shop near. Going to have to turn into a desert rat and do some more “off road” stuff I guess out of necessity haha
Man, what a shot to gut! Have to go from having REP tracks in your back yard, to desert riding??‍♂️ Maybe you can get into the WORCS scene while you’re stuck down there

The Shop

Magic Man
12/15/2018 7:57pm
Tulie is rad, but only runs on race weekends. Moriarty is good, but is a 3 hour drive from Alamo. Supposedly a track is being built in Las Cruces, but not exactly sure where they're at with it. Otherwise, I hope you like off road riding lol.
colvin227
12/15/2018 10:26pm
colvin227 wrote:
Thanks guys, yeah just going to be an adjustment it seems cause all the tracks here in Cali are open every weekend and at least one...
Wade221 wrote:
Man, what a shot to gut! Have to go from having REP tracks in your back yard, to desert riding??‍♂️ Maybe you can get into the...
Man, what a shot to gut! Have to go from having REP tracks in your back yard, to desert riding??‍♂️ Maybe you can get into the WORCS scene while you’re stuck down there
Dude tell me about it....Dry going to miss track riding specially the amazing REP tracks. Man open desert riding “off-road” just doesn’t do it for me like track, but I’ll have to get used to it it sounds like. Hope there’s some dudes at my new unit that Moto and can help lead me to “the spots”
colvin227
12/15/2018 10:29pm
Magic Man wrote:
Tulie is rad, but only runs on race weekends. Moriarty is good, but is a 3 hour drive from Alamo. Supposedly a track is being built...
Tulie is rad, but only runs on race weekends. Moriarty is good, but is a 3 hour drive from Alamo. Supposedly a track is being built in Las Cruces, but not exactly sure where they're at with it. Otherwise, I hope you like off road riding lol.
Let’s hope las Cruces happens that would be cool. Since land is relatively cheap out there I wonder if there are a lot of guys who have private property tracks.....one can hope
Sweetd31
12/17/2018 7:53am
Is "Sandia MX" still open? bare in mind J5 was still a thing back when I lived out there.
If you like freeriding, Montessa Park is always a good time. They are both in Albuquerque so you would have to make the drive.

Tulie used to have a track called Otero County MX, not sure if its open anymore
JWACK
12/17/2018 8:14am
Sweetd31 wrote:
Is "Sandia MX" still open? bare in mind J5 was still a thing back when I lived out there. If you like freeriding, Montessa Park is...
Is "Sandia MX" still open? bare in mind J5 was still a thing back when I lived out there.
If you like freeriding, Montessa Park is always a good time. They are both in Albuquerque so you would have to make the drive.

Tulie used to have a track called Otero County MX, not sure if its open anymore
No more Sandia. Sucks because Sandia had its good moments with a few great layouts and the dirt was awesome.
J5 was pretty awesome too with the big table right after the start. That was good times for moto here and I'm glad I got to be part of it.
MotoCoUSA
12/17/2018 8:14am
Yikes, my in-laws live in Alamogordo. Like others said Tulie is the best place around but only open on race weekends as far as I know. Holloman has a track on base.... but hasn't been touched in probably 15 years unfortunately. In El Paso theres a place called X Motoball that was decent for the area but not sure about the condition these days. About 15 - 20 miles east of el paso there are some sand dunes that are pretty fun. Cloudcroft has some great single track up and over the mountains. South of Holoman at about mile marker 46 (maybe 56, its been a while) theres a place called Red Sands which is just an OHV place. Basically theres desert riding for days which you might have to get used to. ABQ has some tracks too but its a drive from Alamo.
Theres also a track in Juarez, Mexico but Ive never been because when I was at Ft Bliss Juarez was a very dangerous place to be, not sure what its like now but Ive heard the track is legit. Good Luck.

Post a reply to: Calling all Southern NM riders

The Latest