|
MW19
3/2/2020 8:14pm
I would watch that
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
3/2/2020 8:17pm
What's so different? I see a lot slower whoop speed (and no knock on the riders from the era).

It was interesting, before Tampa a bunch of the media types had a sit-down discussion with the Feld crew. One of the things that they noted about this year's track designs was Dirt Wurx doing an extensive review of what worked in the past, and incorporating some older-style elements into them for this year.
3/2/2020 8:18pm
Obstacles aside, there's just a lot more dirt that went into that design than current ones.

The Shop

3/3/2020 12:17am
The main difference is the camera positions - down low in the stadium - closer to the bikes and i think it improves the viewing experience in many ways.
Question
3/3/2020 2:05am

Whoops, why not, but bigger jumps, i don't think so.
CPR
3/3/2020 2:20am
GuyB wrote:
What's so different? I see a lot slower whoop speed (and no knock on the riders from the era). It was interesting, before Tampa a bunch...
What's so different? I see a lot slower whoop speed (and no knock on the riders from the era).

It was interesting, before Tampa a bunch of the media types had a sit-down discussion with the Feld crew. One of the things that they noted about this year's track designs was Dirt Wurx doing an extensive review of what worked in the past, and incorporating some older-style elements into them for this year.
What's so different? The whoops are steep, have no transition and are so hard packed that they don't break down. Jumping through those suckers with any reasonable speed would be fraught with danger.

We also hardly ever see tracks as hard packed as that anymore as well. Blue groove hard pack takes impeccable throttle control and technique, especially on a 2t. While it is easier on a modern 4t there would still be lots of mistakes and real hard pack provides a skill separator while requiring less track maintenance.
I'm not saying we need lots of hard pack tracks, but a few more a year would be cool.
tingo
3/3/2020 5:30am
SoCalMX70 wrote:
Asking for a fan...
Asking for a fan...

Quad, sure, but Roger said it's a negative on the whoops.
Question
3/3/2020 6:14am
GuyB wrote:
What's so different? I see a lot slower whoop speed (and no knock on the riders from the era). It was interesting, before Tampa a bunch...

CPR wrote:
What's so different? The whoops are steep, have no transition and are so hard packed that they don't break down. Jumping through those suckers with any...
What's so different? The whoops are steep, have no transition and are so hard packed that they don't break down. Jumping through those suckers with any reasonable speed would be fraught with danger.

We also hardly ever see tracks as hard packed as that anymore as well. Blue groove hard pack takes impeccable throttle control and technique, especially on a 2t. While it is easier on a modern 4t there would still be lots of mistakes and real hard pack provides a skill separator while requiring less track maintenance.
I'm not saying we need lots of hard pack tracks, but a few more a year would be cool.

The problem that may arise is the speed and injury rate then. Did you see how fast Roczen is when the whoops are clean ? With many riders trying to match that, i think it would be a good recipe for bigger and/or most frequent injuries in those concrete whoops.

I think the tracks and racing are really fine, there is no need to fix something that is not broken. What should be fixed is more the "semi" pro status, kids and parents must trust that this "dream" is good path to follow.
peltier626
3/3/2020 7:21am
GuyB wrote:

It seems a lot more dirt was used per obstacle and the entire track, the transitions were steeper therefore slowing the speeds down by changing the trajectory. I'm not sure how this would fair with the power and capabilities of todays bikes but I think somehow the pace would benefit from being slowed down a bit. It seems today a rider can jump 90' in length off of a 3' high face with speeds of 40mph with a 10' run and land in a 8' pocket and repeat. Crazy!

Post a reply to: Can we get these whoops and quad back?

The Latest