Canard retiring

Garrett314
7/22/2017 5:43am Edited Date/Time 7/23/2017 12:55pm
Looks like Trey will be announcing his retirement today per Racerx. Always a great rider to have on the circuit but he has had enough devastating injuries than I'd ever care to see one person go through. I wish him the absolute best.
|
7/22/2017 5:45am Edited Date/Time 7/22/2017 5:45am
That has to be a tough pill to swallow. It's for the best though if it's true. I'm always worried about him wrecking.
MJC
7/22/2017 5:47am
A top racer with shithouse luck, best of luck to him for the future
7/22/2017 5:49am
MJC wrote:
A top racer with shithouse luck, best of luck to him for the future
I love canard but it got to the point where it wasn't bad luck anymore. He just kept crashing himself out and couldn't keep it on two wheels in the race or during the week. But yea of course he's had some bad luck
downard254
7/22/2017 5:55am
I hate to see him go, but I'm glad he's deciding to quit if you get my drift. The kid doesn't need anymore injuries.

Now, with Dungey retired, and Trey maybe hanging it up, I'd think KTM has a pretty good amount of cash flow opening up, who do they go after. It probably needs to be a title contender as Marvin is no spring chicken. Who is even available. Do they pick up a good second tier rider for 2018 and focus on some talent becoming available in 2019. I'm thinking that may be the smarter thing to do. There were folks mentioning Barcia, is that a pure joke, or would there even be some viability to that. I'm thinking Rodger would have to get him to change his rev style of riding. Otherwise I don't think there would be a difference in his riding regardless of the bike.

The Shop

2thefront
7/22/2017 5:59am
Good for him. Still had a great career even with the injuries. For example, Barcia has had a lot more hype around him but Trey has accomplished quite a bit more in his limited time in the sport. He has nothing to feel bad about.
Mit12
7/22/2017 6:01am
downard254 wrote:
I hate to see him go, but I'm glad he's deciding to quit if you get my drift. The kid doesn't need anymore injuries. Now, with...
I hate to see him go, but I'm glad he's deciding to quit if you get my drift. The kid doesn't need anymore injuries.

Now, with Dungey retired, and Trey maybe hanging it up, I'd think KTM has a pretty good amount of cash flow opening up, who do they go after. It probably needs to be a title contender as Marvin is no spring chicken. Who is even available. Do they pick up a good second tier rider for 2018 and focus on some talent becoming available in 2019. I'm thinking that may be the smarter thing to do. There were folks mentioning Barcia, is that a pure joke, or would there even be some viability to that. I'm thinking Rodger would have to get him to change his rev style of riding. Otherwise I don't think there would be a difference in his riding regardless of the bike.
I like Canard but the truth is even if he wanted to race next year he could not get a ride.
rongi#401
7/22/2017 6:25am
i feel as if head injuries has caused his increase in injuries due to lack of concentration and a sense of desperation to perform. racing isnt everything and im sure for him it stopped being fun a long time ago. alot like a gambler that doesnt know when to leave the table.
ebers
Fantasy
170th
7/22/2017 6:32am
He's one bad dude on a bike, but he'll go on to do even better things off the bike. Best of luck to him!

By the way, I love his older interviews on DMXS, those made me a fan of his from the early days. So funny. He did it right it seems, was serious when he needed to be but still let his personality come through and have fun.
fast willy
7/22/2017 6:40am
It's time. Dude gets hurt to much.
Ramrod
Fantasy
1880th
7/22/2017 6:44am
That's too bad but I don't like seeing him or anyone get hurt so much.

It would be hard to find the motivation to come back from that all the time.

He is super talented on the mx bike.
7/22/2017 6:46am
Congrats Trey, very few people achieve what you did. you are a great guy, you should relax for a bit not stress about risking it all. do what makes you happy, I will introduce myself at vegas this or next yeare if your are there...
honeymoon.....
davistld01
7/22/2017 6:46am
Mit12 wrote:
I like Canard but the truth is even if he wanted to race next year he could not get a ride.
I don't agree at all. Trey is still as fast as practically anybody out there, and has the talent/speed/potential to do top five anyplace against anybody...if he keeps it on two wheels. I certainly don't see a OEM factory picking him up, but there's little doubt that he could pretty easily find a good ride on a solid team if he needed to.

All that said, I congratulate Trey for having the courage to step away from what has been his love for so long. The injury thing has gotten too commonplace, and having to recover mentally has to be even harder than recovering physically sometimes. I hope that Trey finds his place in ministry or somewhere else where he can utilize the other gifts God has given him to make a real difference in some people's lives.
disbanded
Fantasy
1842nd
7/22/2017 6:47am
I would prefer that he not retire.
b_kowalsk
7/22/2017 6:52am
Hate to say it but I feel like he should have taken the job Honda offered him before he went to KTM. But gotta give him credit for not giving up. He's a rider that had an incredible amount of talent and speed but never quite reached full potential. Best of luck to him and whats next!
YamaLink
7/22/2017 6:56am
Congrats and he'll do great working in the industry.
moco
7/22/2017 7:06am
I feel like whatever he takes up in retirement - even if its golf - he's gonna get hurt doing it and end up in the hospital.
Sodipop
7/22/2017 7:08am
Trey canard is one of the most talented guys out there. Of course the one time he held it together and was able to turn it up was against my favorite rider. I've always respected his speed a lot. Sucks it didn't quite work out for him
ocscottie
7/22/2017 7:13am
Here is the official PR:

Trey Canard Announces His Retirement From Professional Racing

Red Bull KTM Factory Racing Team congratulates Canard on a great career

MURRIETA, Calif. – Red Bull KTM Factory Racing Team rider Trey Canard announced today his retirement from professional racing after a decade of competing at the sport’s highest level.

At 26-years-old, Canard has accomplished many milestones throughout his racing career. The Oklahoma native had a successful amateur career before joining the professional ranks in 2007. From there, Canard went on to capture the 2008 AMA Supercross Lites East Championship and the 2010 AMA Motocross Lites Championship. Additionally, Canard captured a total of five overall wins in the 450 division and 11 wins in the 250 division. Canard also represented the U.S. Team at the Motocross des Nations in 2010 where he contributed to the team’s incredible championship-winning performance.

Canard: “I love racing and my passion for doing so has not changed, but there comes a time in every racer’s career where you come to the realization that although the spirit is willing, the flesh is weak, and I know in my heart it’s time to call it a day. I’ve had many injuries throughout my career and have always done my best to heal and bounce back. However, I feel I am not able to push myself to the level I need to in order to be competitive at the highest level of racing. I am sad to say goodbye but also extremely grateful and thankful for the last 10 years of my life. I never could have dreamed I'd do the things I’ve been able to do, to live out a childhood dream and meet and become close with so many wonderful fans and industry people.”

Canard added, “I'm extremely grateful to KTM for the opportunity to work alongside everyone at the Red Bull KTM Factory Racing Team this last year and I am happy to end my career with the full support of the team. I’ve raced for top manufacturers and teams throughout my career and I’m honored that they chose me to race for them at the highest level of racing and represent their brands. I can't say thank you enough to my family and close friends who have been with me since day one and I hope to see everyone at the races for many years to come. This will always be a community that I cherish and feel connected to on so many levels.”

Canard joined the Red Bull KTM Factory Racing Team in 2017, where he lined up for a total of six AMA Supercross Championship rounds and two Pro Motocross events.

Ian Harrison: “Trey is one of those riders who has always been great to have around. He’s such a nice guy and we have enjoyed his positivity and passion. Unfortunately things didn’t go the way we planned from both sides but we wish Trey nothing but the best, we know he will be successful in whatever he decides to do next.”

Canard is widely known as a fierce competitor on the racetrack and a positive role model to fans and competitors alike. While he battled a plague of injuries throughout his ten-year racing career, Canard never gave up on his quest to be at the top of the sport. Canard’s tenacity has provided inspiration to many and the entire racing community will continue to cherish his positive contributions to the sport.

KTM North America, Inc. and the entire Red Bull KTM Factory Racing Team would like to thank Trey for his dedication to the sport and wishes him the best of luck in his future endeavors.
Xeno
7/22/2017 7:21am
No quote from Roger DeCoster in the PR?

kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
7/22/2017 7:25am Edited Date/Time 7/22/2017 7:33am
Thanks for the memories and here's to new ones Trey!
slipdog
7/22/2017 7:37am
Anyone that doesn't like Trey is a commie!
Superdave19
7/22/2017 7:40am
He should be proud of his accomplishments, and the ability to make a mature decision. He has a wealth of knowledge to pass along, and would be a huge asset to any team.

Trey likely has a brighter future in another role in this industry-
jeffro503
7/22/2017 7:44am
I guess I'm a little bummed and happy at the same time. Trey has always been one of my favorites out there. The guy would always come back from an injury , guns a blazing with no track rust at all. Like instant 1st - 5th speed. With that being said , I as a fan don't want to see him get hurt any more , and am really happy for him.

I hope he sticks with the riding for fun thing and doesn't take it to serious. Whatever the case , good luck Trey! You deserve it and it was a heck of a run!
7/22/2017 7:46am
Good luck to Trey.
BMSOBx2
7/22/2017 7:46am
Good luck to you Trey. Always enjoyed watching you ride.
davistld01
7/22/2017 8:00am
I wonder if he'll stay in the industry, maybe in a position like Andrew Short has with HRC Honda?

I was surprised that there was no quote from Roger DeCoster in the KTM press release. Did he and RD not get along? Id have thought that with Trey's personality and professionalism, Roger would have been pleased.
Harry_Gray
7/22/2017 8:16am
It sucks to see him go, but it's understandable why; he's had some horrific injuries to deal with. I was always impressed with his demeanor and his professionalism. I wish him well in his future endeavours, he deserves a break.

Post a reply to: Canard retiring

The Latest