Carmichael on the Whiskey Throttle Show 1/23/2020

Edited Date/Time 2/7/2020 7:13am
LINK to YouTube version:
[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2jk04Ae-7s[/url]

Just preface this post with I have no direct affiliation to the industry, TLD or the Whiskey Throttle show. I'm just a life long Cal.City/Randsburg/DoveSpring campin'-shootin'-moto kid and local VET racer for the past 20 years. So your basic nobody ....

Last night was really special for a fan of our sport.

I have to say Ricky Carmichael greatly changed my perspective of him as a racer and a guy. Interestingly enough, there were plenty of moments when Pingree and Langston were also in disbelief with their jaws in their laps.

I'm not a RC fanboy, and like many in my age group I was a bigtime MC fan and when Honda lowered RC down from the ceiling at the 2001 US Open with a cape and crown...let's just say it took years for RC to grow on me. It really wasn't until his later battles with a cocky Australian that I became a fan.

Anyway, I can't say if RC's always been so humble and gracious to a fault but the little nuggets of perspective he shared last night were eye-opening and you could not help but love and respect the guy. I don't want to give away the best bits, but RC had a couple bombs queued up to drop on both GL and Ping that brought down the house, and Ping covered a lot, well beyond the stereotypical podcast questions.They even got deep in to the weeds on the Ferrandis/Craig incident.

The biggest take away for me was to see the absolute humility and genuine sincerity from the greatest of all time. There was so much emotion in his face and eyes when discussing his transition to Mitch's Pro Circuit team and Pingree taking him under his wing.

My favorite quote of the entire night was from RC, "Man...I looked up to all you guys...including you Ping".

I hope those interested watch the show or listen to the podcast, it's a good one.

|
BIGRIGGIN
1/24/2020 9:31am
Rad - look forward to hearing the podcast. Didn't know RC was the guest this week.
ProKawi24
1/24/2020 10:31am
The couple times I met RC he was a total down to earth, awesome guy. I grew up obsessed with studying his riding style & technique. Broke my heart when he left Kawi but he's the only rider I ever remained a fan of after he left. Can't wait for the show to be posted.
dkg
1/24/2020 10:45am Edited Date/Time 1/24/2020 10:47am
Yep, Agreed. My first time at really getting to know and learn about RC. He is definitely a class act! He was extremely knowledgeable about the sport and Industry. If anyone in the sport has the right to be conceited it's him, but, to the contrary he is very humble and approachable. He's taken some flack on here about his TV presentation. To me he was very well spoken through out the show. I wish the TV format would give him a similar opportunity to shine and share his knowledge about the sport.

Some interesting things to me were: to learn the extent dedicated to improving his craft throughout his career. His ability to read the track was mind boggling. I liked the way he interacted with the various teams he was on at the time. Sounds like he truly treated his team members as "family". And so many more ....

Anyway, a great show. If you get a chance, you should give it a listen.

The Shop

1/24/2020 11:10am
I've listened to all the shows and looking forward to this one! Appreciate the no spoilers!
1/24/2020 11:14am
ProKawi24 wrote:
The couple times I met RC he was a total down to earth, awesome guy. I grew up obsessed with studying his riding style & technique...
The couple times I met RC he was a total down to earth, awesome guy. I grew up obsessed with studying his riding style & technique. Broke my heart when he left Kawi but he's the only rider I ever remained a fan of after he left. Can't wait for the show to be posted.
he speaks the truth about that decision in detail...lot of people were interested in why he left Kawi for Honda...and again, Honda for Suzuki.
1/24/2020 11:17am
dkg wrote:
Yep, Agreed. My first time at really getting to know and learn about RC. He is definitely a class act! He was extremely knowledgeable about the...
Yep, Agreed. My first time at really getting to know and learn about RC. He is definitely a class act! He was extremely knowledgeable about the sport and Industry. If anyone in the sport has the right to be conceited it's him, but, to the contrary he is very humble and approachable. He's taken some flack on here about his TV presentation. To me he was very well spoken through out the show. I wish the TV format would give him a similar opportunity to shine and share his knowledge about the sport.

Some interesting things to me were: to learn the extent dedicated to improving his craft throughout his career. His ability to read the track was mind boggling. I liked the way he interacted with the various teams he was on at the time. Sounds like he truly treated his team members as "family". And so many more ....

Anyway, a great show. If you get a chance, you should give it a listen.
Great perspective. To me, and to your point, you can tell Ricky went on to do great things and you can tell he's a guy who's had an agent/manager and coach for handling tough questions diplomatically. He's a great ambassador for the sport.
mxmaniac
1/24/2020 5:52pm
I look forward to this show more than Christmas!
hubbardmx50
1/24/2020 7:39pm
I was there last night too. So damn cool hanging in the back building at TLD with Fro, GL, Ping and Ricky getting free pizza and served free beer by Pings wife! We're definitely spoiled here in SoCal. Ricky is a super nice, funny and outgoing guy and he was freaking hilarious on the show. I am younger so I didn't really know much about his personality etc. when he was racing but man he is awesome now. So glad I went. One thing is I wish they would have covered more of his personal life. Is he divorced?

1/24/2020 7:53pm
Do they post a schedule of dates and guests? I'd love to go see one of these live. Looking forward to listening to this one!
hubbardmx50
1/24/2020 8:01pm
Do they post a schedule of dates and guests? I'd love to go see one of these live. Looking forward to listening to this one!
They usually post details on their instagram a few weeks prior
1/24/2020 8:07pm
I saw rc,s1st win at gainsville in 97, I asked michels pipeline and pt comp nurse for 1 day off of pt,since I was 1.5 months ahead of where my shoulder should be from surgery. They said no, so I got a cheap flight and went anyway. I was hanging with 2 mi. Wild cats, they took off running and dove into the quarry. When RC was trying to open the champagne, Some girls said oh my god they jumped into the quarry. After that off to Daytona beach, lots of wild fun. Missed my flight had to call and buy another ticket, missed fri. To thurs of pt, I was dating my pt girl. She,s a little mad, but work and comp, where really pissed. After 2 weeks of pt, they made me work at a gravel quarry for my pt. Then my reg. Job working on the world,s strongest horizontal drill rig, my shoulder was nowhere healed after 3 months. But being at the last gainsville national and to see Ricky His 1st national was worth it.
1/24/2020 8:18pm
They usually post details on their instagram a few weeks prior
Ok. I'll have to check it out for updates. Thanks man!
imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
1/24/2020 8:26pm
What time? Google doesnt like me, anyone able to link it?
1/24/2020 9:00pm
I saw rc,s1st win at gainsville in 97, I asked michels pipeline and pt comp nurse for 1 day off of pt,since I was 1.5 months...
I saw rc,s1st win at gainsville in 97, I asked michels pipeline and pt comp nurse for 1 day off of pt,since I was 1.5 months ahead of where my shoulder should be from surgery. They said no, so I got a cheap flight and went anyway. I was hanging with 2 mi. Wild cats, they took off running and dove into the quarry. When RC was trying to open the champagne, Some girls said oh my god they jumped into the quarry. After that off to Daytona beach, lots of wild fun. Missed my flight had to call and buy another ticket, missed fri. To thurs of pt, I was dating my pt girl. She,s a little mad, but work and comp, where really pissed. After 2 weeks of pt, they made me work at a gravel quarry for my pt. Then my reg. Job working on the world,s strongest horizontal drill rig, my shoulder was nowhere healed after 3 months. But being at the last gainsville national and to see Ricky His 1st national was worth it.
What
jeffro503
1/24/2020 10:33pm
Podcast is up now.
David , will the youtube version be up as well? I like actually watching interviews , and it's why I never got into the podcast thing. I think I've only listened to like 2 of them....ever.
Lightning78
1/24/2020 10:35pm
I bumped ......literally bumped into him one night when he was still racing at a bar in orange county he was with Tedesco....now me being 6'3 he was so short but cool as hell. Seemed surprised I recognized him
Scott_Bate
1/24/2020 11:05pm
I have listened to every Whiskey Throttle Show via Podcast but this is one I will be watching for sure can't wait.
Shenzi
Fantasy
1233rd
1/25/2020 6:02am
It's been a really good show, Ping and GL have been so good at getting guests to feel relaxed, confident to open so much. A must listen for all moto fans. Havent listen to the RC one yet but can only imagine it's going to be very good.
RC has been much better on TV this season, not sure if it's having a new co-host next to him or just working on it during the off-season but really better.
scootch
1/25/2020 6:08am
I saw rc,s1st win at gainsville in 97, I asked michels pipeline and pt comp nurse for 1 day off of pt,since I was 1.5 months...
What
The fuck
crowe176
1/25/2020 7:28am Edited Date/Time 1/25/2020 7:30am
You remind me of my best friends wife when she drinks tequila
Moto520
1/25/2020 7:33am
I don’t know what youre talking about but it sounds like a fun party
dpingree101
1/25/2020 10:54am
Podcast is up now.
jeffro503 wrote:
David , will the youtube version be up as well? I like actually watching interviews , and it's why I never got into the podcast thing...
David , will the youtube version be up as well? I like actually watching interviews , and it's why I never got into the podcast thing. I think I've only listened to like 2 of them....ever.
Yes, sometime today
Phil109
1/25/2020 12:11pm
Podcast is up now.
jeffro503 wrote:
David , will the youtube version be up as well? I like actually watching interviews , and it's why I never got into the podcast thing...
Yes, sometime today
Is it the whiskey throttle show YouTube channel?

Post a reply to: Carmichael on the Whiskey Throttle Show 1/23/2020

The Latest