Carpal tunnel and mx

murph783
Edited Date/Time 7/16/2014 3:28am
So I'm getting back into racing this year, and I've been having a problem with my hands going numb during my motos. Not bad during practice, because I can just pull off and shake it out, but not really having that option during a race makes it tough. A trip to my doctor last week confirmed that carpal tunnel is the cause. Surgery is the only permanent fix, but I won't be able to do that until at least winter time. Anyone out there have any tips to keep from going numb while riding? I do wear a brace at night after seeing the doc, but it's only been about a week and a half or so, so I'm not sure how much help it's really going to be.
|
YAKMX
7/15/2014 9:45am
Wear the brace at night.Not a lot of help but better than nothing.I dealt with it till I couldn't hold on the the bars any longer. Went and had one hand done then about 4 weeks later the second. Best choice for me. Now I can ride without the numbness and tingling. It isn't going to go away.
Good luck with this.
shuggs
7/15/2014 10:27am
Dunno about that but just found out I have cubital tunnel syndrome and waiting to see consultant but will have to wait weeks - uk NHS sucks sometimes
HackMan162
7/15/2014 10:38am
Pillow top grips help a little. Rubber mounted bars, etc. But surgery is the ultimate fix, and better ergo's moving forward.

The Shop

YZDAD
Fantasy
1814th
7/15/2014 12:55pm
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2014/07/15/59509/s1200_DSCI1200.jpg[/img] My wife had both hands done and no complaints so far.

My wife had both hands done and no complaints so far.

Had both of mine done the same way about 7 years ago. Best thing I ever did!
robkinuk
7/15/2014 2:10pm
There's alot of good advice in a thread I started a few weeks ago

http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/Anyone-had-Carpal-Tunnel-…

After nerve tests had consultation with surgeon last Friday. Nerve tests show a 4/5 and 5/5 severity on left and right hands. Booked on priority list for surgery in approx 8 weeks. Chose open surgery rather than keyhole and having both done at same time. Good job I have an understanding & loving wife!
Good luck with yours!
bangmyhead
7/15/2014 5:25pm Edited Date/Time 7/15/2014 5:26pm
Got the surgery done when I broke my wrist (dr said I would have issues later so he figured he'd do it while he was in there) I get the numb hand sometimes, never had it before. Each person is different
Redrcr34
7/15/2014 8:37pm
Had it done a year ago last June. Really think mine was better before the surgery.

Radical
Fantasy
2384th
7/16/2014 2:38am
I've programmed computers for 23 years and HAD carpal tunnel after a few years. I have a friend who's a chiropractor so I've been around natural healing methods. Truth is that many times the symptom is in your hands, wrists, etc... and the cause is in your neck. If the problem is in your neck and you have wrist surgery, it'll come back.

Are you having problems with your wrists only when you ride? If so, how would that be carpal tunnel. It doesn't make sense. Riding isn't that repetitive.

I would make sure your bars are comfortable and that you're not gripping too tight. If you are, then your hands are going to get numb, period. It used to happen to me all the time, and now only occasionally.

Are your wrists aggravated by your work and is riding just a trigger?

If you spend a lot of time at a computer, these tips help a lot.

For me I found that when the air conditioning was on I would have problems, and when my office was warmer not so much. These are the things I do that keep carpal tunnel away.

1) If it's cold in your office, wear long sleeves. When I had good circulation, it was much better.
2) Set the mouse sensitivity as high as possible. Not moving the wrist as much helped a lot. This was almost enough to solve it in itself. It'll take a few days to get used to the mouse being set so sensitive. Your wrists will thank you.
3) Make sure your wrists are straight. If they're bent up or down, you'll have way more problems with carpal tunnel.
4) Lift weights, especially forward and reverse wrist curls. When I started lifting weights, my carpal tunnel went away completely within a matter of weeks, and never really came back. The last time I had symptoms was in the mid 90's.

So, that's what I know about CT in the workplace. For riding the only time my hands go numb is when I death grip the bars.
Since I've learned to keep my weight centered where I'm not having to push or pull on the bars much, my arm pump went away, and my hands usually don't go numb. They do on long mountain bike rides though when my setup or positioning is wrong. When I bought new bars that fit me, and a shorter stem, it all but went away. I now only get the numbness on really long rides.

So what I'm saying is:
* Get your neck checked. A pinched nerve can cause problems in your peripherals.
* Watch your position when riding. Keep your weight centered as best as possible.
* Loosen up your grip except where you really need it. If I had to make one guess what's causing it, this would be it.
* Lift Weights and improve your circulation in the area.
* Make changes so your stressing them less in your job.

If you have to have surgery I hope it all goes well for you. I do know a few people who've had surgery for CT and I personally don't know anyone who's had success with it. I wish you the best.
Gazza
7/16/2014 3:28am
I don't have carpal tunnel...yet... I have broken each wrist 3 times as my bones are actually made of cheese though. I also like to attempt to lift really heavy things at the gym, so every now and then I would get pretty bad wrist pain. After a few years off I got back into riding last summer and pretty much straight away my right wrist started giving me a lot more hassle than ever before.

Went to the work physio and got given a vertical mouse, she claimed that when using a standard mouse you're excessively rotating your wrist. It's a bit odd to get used to, but my pain went started getting better a lot quicker when I got it, and now I've not had any more issues with wrist pain, despite riding a lot more and lifting even heavier things!

So yeah, I'm sure it won't help anyone that is bad enough to need surgery, but for any rider that does spend a lot of time in front of the pc I recommend it for prevention.

Post a reply to: Carpal tunnel and mx

The Latest