Cdn MXLegends race in Austin, MB

bents
Fantasy
909th
Edited Date/Time 8/30/2017 9:35am
This past weekend I attended one of the coolest events I will ever go to as a motocrosser. Austin Raceways, in Manitoba was legendary in Canadian Moto as the toughest track in Canada, nothing but deep and gnarly sand. The owner, some 25 years ago shut down the track to follow his dream, and build a golf course on his property. No one believed him, but actually did build a nine hole, rural golf course.

Through the efforts of a local racer and pretty fast dude, Justyn McCabe, he was able to resurrect the track for one race. So he created an event called MXLegends which featured a texas scramble golf tournament on Saturday, followed by a motocross race on Sunday! How many times have you been able to shoot a round of golf, then suit up the next day and race on the same property? Canadian all time MX legend Ross "Rollerball" Pederson came out, former Canadian Champion Al Dyck was in attendance too. Former 125 National Champion and still super fast 61 year old Winnipeg boy Kim Houde was there. Former national level racers Earl Reimer and Don Formo showed up as did FXR owner Milt Reimer. There was vintage racing, 500cc 2 stroke racing, and honest to God 15 minute motos with only about 7 classes offered on the day. The nicest part about this was that virgin grass was staked out on over half the track while a part of the old track was incorporated and man did it get rough! And was the sand deep in the old sections. It was a total blast in every way. And the nicest part of the day was walking this natural rolling track and not worrying about how to jump this or that....it was just pure excitement to tear about the grass and the track. The first photo is looking up at the starting line, the 2nd is the set of corners after the start, and the 3rd is the start area looking down. Hope to see another race at this historic Canadian venue. On another area of previously untouched territory!

|
MauriceR
Fantasy
154th
8/30/2017 9:35am
Did Pederson and the rest race or just show up, any pics of the racing
bents
Fantasy
909th
8/30/2017 9:49am
Sorry I don't have any pics of the racing but there are tons out there on Facebook. Ross did race, I think a 1982 CR500 in the 500cc 2 stroke class. He bought a 2014 YZF450 new and has only ridden it a hand full of times since. he was there, like all of us, for the reunion. And the racing but it was low key and fun was the agenda for the day.

Post a reply to: Cdn MXLegends race in Austin, MB

The Latest