Chest protector vs Neck brace...

level
Edited Date/Time 7/19/2014 6:42am
If you had a choice to wear one or the other which one would you wear?

I have an Astar brace and can't find a damn chest protector to fit comfortably with it but hate not wearing a chest protector. So for now it's either ride with just the brace or just the chest protector.
|
scott_nz
Fantasy
655th
5/7/2010 5:37pm
level wrote:
If you had a choice to wear one or the other which one would you wear? I have an Astar brace and can't find a damn...

I have an Astar brace and can't find a damn chest protector to fit comfortably with it but hate not wearing a chest protector. So for now it's either ride with just the brace or just the chest protector.
A Stars have come out with a new chest protector that fits the bns perfectly, not sure if it available in the states yet

http://www.mrmotorcycles.co.nz/product_info.php?products_id=2491

T-Fish
Fantasy
173rd
5/7/2010 6:14pm
Only one of those are proven to work.

You choose.

The Shop

hoppsan
5/7/2010 6:16pm
I do not wear either, and dont plan on it.
Any reasoning behind this?
Tiki
Fantasy
1670th
5/7/2010 7:25pm
Chest protector would be my choice.

Each person is different, The shoulder pads on the chest protector for me, provide some protection for me as far as side to side movement on the helmet. I have no neck. Some of the smaller kids that have narrower necks and not as much muscle around them I can honestly see the benefits of them. Also the back of the chest protectors today have spine protection from overextending your back. Straight on, lawn darting the chest protector offers little protection for that.

Neck braces in my opinion restrict natural roll motion of the body when going straight in and transfer the energy to the lower body and the weakest point will give. Granted if you are unable to roll your body the neck brace is the best protection against any of that.

Roll the dice and ride within your ability. If you are like me you are more worried about not going fast enough and falling over in a turn. If you are like a lot of the kids out there - Full Body armor. Some kids today haul mail. Im not sure anything will help at the speeds they are going.
level
5/7/2010 7:35pm Edited Date/Time 5/7/2010 7:36pm
level wrote:
If you had a choice to wear one or the other which one would you wear? I have an Astar brace and can't find a damn...

scott_nz wrote:
A Stars have come out with a new chest protector that fits the bns perfectly, not sure if it available in the states yet

http://www.mrmotorcycles.co.nz/product_info.php?products_id=2491

Nice. Looks like a really nice and customizable protector. Didn't see it on their website yet so guess not available in states. Thanks for the link. I hate the one size fits all deal though because it really doesn't. I notice many of them are making protectors that way.
level
5/7/2010 7:37pm
Tiki wrote:
Chest protector would be my choice. Each person is different, The shoulder pads on the chest protector for me, provide some protection for me as far...
Chest protector would be my choice.

Each person is different, The shoulder pads on the chest protector for me, provide some protection for me as far as side to side movement on the helmet. I have no neck. Some of the smaller kids that have narrower necks and not as much muscle around them I can honestly see the benefits of them. Also the back of the chest protectors today have spine protection from overextending your back. Straight on, lawn darting the chest protector offers little protection for that.

Neck braces in my opinion restrict natural roll motion of the body when going straight in and transfer the energy to the lower body and the weakest point will give. Granted if you are unable to roll your body the neck brace is the best protection against any of that.

Roll the dice and ride within your ability. If you are like me you are more worried about not going fast enough and falling over in a turn. If you are like a lot of the kids out there - Full Body armor. Some kids today haul mail. Im not sure anything will help at the speeds they are going.
Yeah, the chest protector has saved my ass plenty of times before I ever wore a neck brace. It's a real toss up. I guess I can just stick with my fox with the PCS neck collar. At least there is some neck protection there I guess. Going to keep looking though until I find something comfortable and that fits.
Tiki
Fantasy
1670th
5/7/2010 7:48pm Edited Date/Time 5/7/2010 7:48pm
Like yourself I am always on the look out for gear that works. Seems knees and chest protector are my constantly changing equipment choice. I liked that Moose chest protector you posted last week. The Fox chest protectors have always been solid for me, currently I have a Thor Force. I have used it a number of times (meaning full dirt test)and the one day I went without it because I had a jacket on, I needed it. Front end went out from under me going about 30 mph. Sage brush saved me initially, the second hit hurt. I ripped the Sage out of the ground. That's not easy.
level
5/7/2010 7:59pm
The Moose looks great and is very light but the fit was not great, especially for me. Definitely don't like the idea of the brace going on the outside of the protector. It really limits forward moving and your chin hits the neck brace when shrug up which on the alpinestar website video they say you definitely don't want that to happen. I'm going to be sending it back.

The alpinestar A10 chest protector looks great. There is one that is only $160 american that I found and you can get it shipped to U.S. I just hate that one size fits all because I know it will probably be a tad too small.
jimmie
5/7/2010 8:15pm
I have always worn a chest protector,
never have I used a neck brace,
broken ribs.......3 times
broken neck.....0 times (PTL)
for what it's worth, there you have it.
SH_105
5/7/2010 8:43pm
Well I made a promise to my Wife and Mom that when I did start riding again that I would wear a Chest Pro.... Im a few weeks back into riding now and couldnt be happier wearing one again!! Kinda weird how things usually go full circle with age...Woohoo

Adam43
5/7/2010 8:59pm
I always wore a chest protector, but when I got the Leatt I didn't like how the two felt together. Plus I didn't like carrying the extra 10 pounds of gear around. So I just ran the Leatt alone.

Then one day I swapped off the side of a tabletop and fell 25 feet to the ground, smashing my chest on the bars. I could barely breathe for three days. So yeah, I'm running both again. Lesson learned.
CamP
5/7/2010 9:30pm
I wear both. I feel naked without them now.

level
5/7/2010 9:51pm
SH_105 wrote:
Well I made a promise to my Wife and Mom that when I did start riding again that I would wear a Chest Pro.... Im a...
Well I made a promise to my Wife and Mom that when I did start riding again that I would wear a Chest Pro.... Im a few weeks back into riding now and couldnt be happier wearing one again!! Kinda weird how things usually go full circle with age...Woohoo

Who makes the Chest Pro?
SH_105
5/7/2010 10:08pm
NoFear... Odd it was the last one I ever really wore racing in 02!!

level
5/7/2010 10:09pm Edited Date/Time 5/7/2010 10:11pm
Thanks. Did a search and didn't come up with nothing. Do you wear a neck brace also Sean or no?

P.S. It's going to be great to see you on the track again. Been watching you for years and years and years. Your just as talented as the guy up front so don't think for a second you are not. Your a podium contender all the way in my opinion.
SH_105
5/7/2010 10:15pm
level wrote:
Thanks. Did a search and didn't come up with nothing. Do you wear a neck brace also Sean or no? P.S. It's going to be great...
Thanks. Did a search and didn't come up with nothing. Do you wear a neck brace also Sean or no?

P.S. It's going to be great to see you on the track again. Been watching you for years and years and years. Your just as talented as the guy up front so don't think for a second you are not. Your a podium contender all the way in my opinion.
No neck brace... Yet. Still a bit uncomfortable for me with it slapping the back of my helmet and pushing my head down coming into corners. Appreciate the kind words, funny thing is more and more people tell me that everyday... That is why I am doing things I never did to be ready come game time and having more fun than I have had in recent years riding! I dont want to look back and say I shoulda, coulda, woulda with this or that when its time to call it a career. I want to get the most out that I feel I have and what others see in me as well. Thanks again man! Wont let you down

level
5/7/2010 10:16pm
Oh and get those starts down-that's good TV time right there. Holeshot every time baby. lol
level
5/7/2010 10:29pm
level wrote:
Thanks. Did a search and didn't come up with nothing. Do you wear a neck brace also Sean or no? P.S. It's going to be great...

SH_105 wrote:
No neck brace... Yet. Still a bit uncomfortable for me with it slapping the back of my helmet and pushing my head down coming into corners...
No neck brace... Yet. Still a bit uncomfortable for me with it slapping the back of my helmet and pushing my head down coming into corners. Appreciate the kind words, funny thing is more and more people tell me that everyday... That is why I am doing things I never did to be ready come game time and having more fun than I have had in recent years riding! I dont want to look back and say I shoulda, coulda, woulda with this or that when its time to call it a career. I want to get the most out that I feel I have and what others see in me as well. Thanks again man! Wont let you down

It's funny you mentioned it slapping the back of your helmet. I just got one a few weeks ago and it's fine riding with it but every time I land from a jump it hits the back of my helmet. At first I thought something was clanking on my suspension or my radiator guard was loose because I kept hearing the noise. Of course, within a few laps I realized the brace was tapping my helmet. ha

Yeah, you'll be fine man. We'll all be rooting for you. Gotta have that confidence and training. You already have the skills. No reason you can't win but you know your limits and the one thing you don't want is to get hurt. One thing I see from the outside looking in is many guys ride outside there limits and push too much and that's when wrecks happen. I think that is how Windham has gone so long. He knows his limits. He can push harder but knows it's not always the smartest thing to do. I honestly don't know how you guys do it. Such a tough sport. Can't wait for outdoors. Gonna be great. All about the start though. Well not all about but pretty damn important obviously but you already know that. Smile I just want to hear the announcers say-there goes 105 with the holeshot again. lol
5/7/2010 11:31pm
I rock both but if i could only pick one, I would go with the neck brace. I feel like my neck brace is just as important as my helmet.
pitbike502
5/8/2010 3:00am
some tracks call for each of the piecesof equipment IMO.

I dont wear a neck protector much anymore, but at tracks with insane jumps like Area 51 (check that track out, its awesome) Id wear one. Most other tracks around here are rolling hills with a lot of natural jumps, Id rather have a chest protector for when 450s do some tractor style digging and shoot rocks at me like a machine gun.
PaleBlue
5/8/2010 3:05am
jimmie wrote:
I have always worn a chest protector, never have I used a neck brace, broken ribs.......3 times broken neck.....0 times (PTL) for what it's worth, there...
I have always worn a chest protector,
never have I used a neck brace,
broken ribs.......3 times
broken neck.....0 times (PTL)
for what it's worth, there you have it.
The most stupid post I have ever seen! ( and you had some real competion to beat ) Sick
crf250pilot
5/8/2010 3:16am Edited Date/Time 5/8/2010 3:16am
level wrote:

Depends on whether I was in the 250 or 450 class. Those stone spray sandwiches hurt alot more coming from the back of a 450.
alphado
5/8/2010 3:36am
I tried a Leatt and the EVS neck braces, neither would work with my EVS Ballistic Jacket, so I am just sticking with my EVS neck roll that I have been wearing for years. No way I am giving up the jacket.
Ramrod
Fantasy
1751st
5/8/2010 4:37am
I wear a Leatt with a Troy Lee chest protector without the shoulder cups. It fits perfect with or without the cups.

I won't ride without this setup and it feels great but then again, I'm going only a small fraction of the speed Hamblin does.
anzzz73
5/8/2010 5:18am
i have thor senines with astar but i cut the chest protector!!!to adapt an feel confortabli
dedi684
5/8/2010 7:10am
Ramrod wrote:
I wear a Leatt with a Troy Lee chest protector without the shoulder cups. It fits perfect with or without the cups. I won't ride without...
I wear a Leatt with a Troy Lee chest protector without the shoulder cups. It fits perfect with or without the cups.

I won't ride without this setup and it feels great but then again, I'm going only a small fraction of the speed Hamblin does.
same set up. love it. no issues. some of my friends cry they cant lift their head with the neck brace etc.... i've never had a problem, i usually concentrate on racing not some little annoyances that barely exist.
level
5/8/2010 7:16am
pitbike502 wrote:
some tracks call for each of the piecesof equipment IMO. I dont wear a neck protector much anymore, but at tracks with insane jumps like Area...
some tracks call for each of the piecesof equipment IMO.

I dont wear a neck protector much anymore, but at tracks with insane jumps like Area 51 (check that track out, its awesome) Id wear one. Most other tracks around here are rolling hills with a lot of natural jumps, Id rather have a chest protector for when 450s do some tractor style digging and shoot rocks at me like a machine gun.
Very true. I find myself alternating sometimes. If I want to try a new section out for the first time for some reason I always put my chest protector on instead of my neck brace so if I wreck and the bike lands on me I have some protection.

For the roost your right. If I was racing then I would have to have a roost protector of some sort.

I'll have to find something. I love not wearing a chest protector. I feel more light and free but man I hate not having that protection. Gotta find something. Search goes on for me. Maybe I'll try and cut my Fox protector and see if I can get it to work.
Cygnus
5/8/2010 7:20am
I wear a Leatt with an older 661 Roost protector. It is a perfect fit, no mods necessary.

Post a reply to: Chest protector vs Neck brace...

The Latest