Chocolate milk or Cytomax?

slipdog
6/24/2013 7:53pm Edited Date/Time 7/7/2013 5:04am
The idea of Jerry kicking ass on his '85 cr250 makes me wonder if we'd all do better if we got back to the basics. I can't count the amount of supplements and workout drinks I've consumed and thought it was interesting when I came across a study that says chocolate milk is as good or better than any recovery drink. I for one am going to chug a glass of chocolate milk after my next workout.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/353235-types-of-chocolate-milk-to-drink-as-a-recovery-drink/
|
B-EVANS
6/24/2013 8:10pm
Finally! I just showed my wife your post cause she's been laughing at me for 2 years and telling me I'm a dumbass(that may be true but not on this). The chocolate milk works. When I don't drink it on the way home from the track I'm sore for a couple days, when I do drink it I wake up the next day and don't even feel like I rode the day before. Thanks, now I can tell her to STFU.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4133rd
6/24/2013 8:13pm
Quite a few studies over the last few years have validated choc milk as a superior recovery drink when consumed within the first 90 or so minutes after strenuous exertion.
Jarrett H
6/24/2013 8:24pm Edited Date/Time 6/24/2013 8:26pm
Let me get this straight....so you're saying drinking protein, amino acids , carbs, and good fats are conducive to a good recovery after a strenuous activity? lol We landed on the moon as well.

All jokes aside, we have known for a while what things help us recover. Milk has many great things in it that help. The one reason I would shy away from chocolate milk would be the large amount of sugar it has. A quality protein powder will have the same benefits.
sozo
6/24/2013 8:30pm
Chocolate milk is the fastest re-hydration you can get but I rather use a little gatoraid 30/70water in the first 15 minutes, then eat or protein powder withing 60 min of working out. You need some carbs to spike you insulin to open your blood cells to transport the protein. If I work out or ride heavy I use Endorox right after riding then just eat balanced and drink water, eat drink water, eat drink water till my body is satisfied....

John

The Shop

Myke
Fantasy
2861st
6/24/2013 8:31pm
I drink chocolate milk after every strenuous aerobic workout. ½ of a Nestles Quick pint size.

http://gotchocolatemilk.com/
newmann
6/24/2013 9:19pm
Cases upon cases of Nesquik I have bought for the sons swim team. Kept cases of it at home as well.
wydopen
6/24/2013 9:40pm
nice!!

my gf just bought some and i just got done climbing a couple thousand vertical feet on the mtb...just enjoyed a glass while i read the article!!
JB 19
6/24/2013 10:02pm
I work with a guy who runs marathons and I asked him what I should eat or drink after mountain biking and he said drink chocolate milk. Although I prefer strawberry.

I can't find the article, but last year I read some interesting stuff about some athletes drinking too much water and it rinsing the sodium and potassium out of their bodies and causing muscle problems that in the past were wrote off as fatigue or lack of fitness.
bvm111
6/24/2013 10:20pm
I stopped buying all that powdered stuff they market to you for recovery after I read those articles a few years back and I tell you what... Chocolate milk after a hard workout in the gym or road bike ride does the trick just fine. The sugar replenishes you glycogen and glucose levels in your blood and there is plenty of amino acids and vitamins in there I wonder why I ever thought some powder is better!

Seriously.... Try it!
bd
6/24/2013 11:53pm
Both of that shit is garbage
cwtoyota
6/25/2013 12:10am
I can drink plain white low-fat milk all day long.
One glass of chocolate 2% and I could peel paint with my farts. It is not a good situation.

Chocolate soy-milk is where it's at for me. It has protein, some carbs, etc.
It has a very slightly different texture vs real milk, but I like it. it's worth checking out.
gnarwhip
6/25/2013 12:33am
I get the TruMoo pint at 7-11 for $1.99 It has about 50 g of protein. It's the most proetin youll find for two dollars, but it has a lot of sugar
Fearo
6/25/2013 1:04am
Every one of those sports drink vs (chocolate) milk articles is misleading. They compare a carb-only drink to a carb/protein mix drink. Of course a carb/protein mix is going to be better, thousands of studies have shown that. But to say it's the best recovery drink? The protein in milk is 80% casein which is slow digesting.. Good for breakfast and late night meals but not ideal for post-workout. Don't get me wrong (chocolate) milk is certainly not BAD as a recovery drink but there are better alternatives IMO.
bullpen658
6/25/2013 2:16am
The chocolate milk story seems true but I guarantee you it doesn't apply to Vet Racers. Every one of the highly tuned athletes I see racing with the OTHG drinks BEER after every Moto. It's got the correct carb to booze ratio for the protein cells to synthesize the testosterone into a lack of oxygen in the blood, thereby reducing the brain's ability to make logical decisions that would impede those fine athletes from twisting the grip and winning all the glory. If we drank chocolate milk, our brains might remember all the pain and agony caused by racing over the years and we would likely quit the sport and take up something less dangerous like BASE jumping or underwater welding.
Crash82
Fantasy
2187th
6/25/2013 4:07am Edited Date/Time 6/25/2013 4:29am
I use this stuff:

May be psychological but seems like it helps. I've tried others but with this junk I don't seem as sore and My work outs go better. I usually stop and eat a chik fil a samich on the way home from the Y then drink a glass of milk with one scoop in it. The Chocolate mallt is the best, last time they sent me vanilla ice cream flavored and it sux. You can get it cheapest from amazon.com
Vet57
6/25/2013 5:52am
In regards to the title post...Cytomax during and CM post activity. During cycling routines I use Scratch which I've found to be the best stuff I've tried so far.
slipdog
6/25/2013 6:34am
Lots of interesting responses so far and while I've always used a carb recovery drink at the track (like Cytomax or Revenge) and a whey isolate for post workouts, and still will, I like the idea of chocolate milk being a good alternative. The older I get the less I trust what big companies put in their products that could end up being unhealthy for us in the long run.

Steed's link was interesting also as I didn't know there was a specific amount of carbs per weight recommended for post workout recovery.
mgifracing
Fantasy
319th
6/25/2013 8:14am
Cytomax is crap, especially if you drink to much. I had a kidney failure and when they did the toxicity test they blamed it almost all on Cytomax.
slipdog
6/25/2013 8:27am
mgifracing wrote:
Cytomax is crap, especially if you drink to much. I had a kidney failure and when they did the toxicity test they blamed it almost all...
Cytomax is crap, especially if you drink to much. I had a kidney failure and when they did the toxicity test they blamed it almost all on Cytomax.
This is why I'm skeptical of manufactured products, they can be advertised and praised as great products only to be found later to cause health problems. Personally, I'd take paint peeling farts over kidney failure and day.
bd
6/25/2013 8:43am Edited Date/Time 6/25/2013 6:09pm
Info on soy:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/09/18/soy-can-d…

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/12/04/soy-dange…

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/12/08/the-dirty…

90% of all soy in the US is GMO

I am currently using this protein (never bloated, no gas, non GMO, no dairy, no heavy metals, always ready to rock)

I no longer drink whey. If I did, I would drink:

GrapeApe
Fantasy
806th
6/25/2013 8:45am
mgifracing wrote:
Cytomax is crap, especially if you drink to much. I had a kidney failure and when they did the toxicity test they blamed it almost all...
Cytomax is a great product for endurance events (during, not after). For 5 minute motos at the local track, it is not necessary.

Greek yogurt and honey is my go-to recovery food, but it's not as portable as chocolate milk. I'll do the latter in a pinch.
peelout
6/25/2013 8:48am
just don't drink it before your workout.

i worked out one morning, followed it up with some muscle milk, then an hour later decided to go for a mtn-bike ride... big mistake. i was vomiting aggressively for about 3 minutes halfway into my ride. i lost all my strength and was sick as fuck for the rest of the day... not a smart decision
APLMAN99
6/25/2013 8:48am
Our High School sports med director has been recommending chocolate milk for our school's athletes for quite some time.

I know that if I'm having a particularly long and strenuous day at work, I'll drink a quart about 8-9 hours in and it sure seems to give me that little extra boost for the last 4-5 hours without giving me "coffee jitters".

After my oldest daughter was diagnosed as Type 1, chocolate milk became a staple for her when it came to basketball season.
ga_pike
6/25/2013 8:55am Edited Date/Time 6/25/2013 8:56am
motomike137
6/25/2013 9:08am
bullpen658 wrote:
The chocolate milk story seems true but I guarantee you it doesn't apply to Vet Racers. Every one of the highly tuned athletes I see racing...
The chocolate milk story seems true but I guarantee you it doesn't apply to Vet Racers. Every one of the highly tuned athletes I see racing with the OTHG drinks BEER after every Moto. It's got the correct carb to booze ratio for the protein cells to synthesize the testosterone into a lack of oxygen in the blood, thereby reducing the brain's ability to make logical decisions that would impede those fine athletes from twisting the grip and winning all the glory. If we drank chocolate milk, our brains might remember all the pain and agony caused by racing over the years and we would likely quit the sport and take up something less dangerous like BASE jumping or underwater welding.
LOL! That's classic bullpen and very true! As for the chocolate milk I've been doing something good and never realized it, I have always loved me a little Nestle's Quick (Nesquick for you young bucks). I almost always have a couple of pints of the stuff in my fridge or cooler just because I like the taste of it.
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
6/25/2013 10:27am Edited Date/Time 6/25/2013 10:27am
I'd use Cytomax while on the bike (cycling, that is), and Muscle Milk after. But that's just me.
DoctorJD
6/25/2013 10:35am
I tried Cytomax for a while (on-bike hydration), but it caused a good bit of digestive issues for me. I use a diluted Gatorade mixture (powdered) during exercise and either chocolate milk, High-protein Boost (low sugar variety), Greek Yogurt, or beer for recovery.
Mr. Ted
Fantasy
1673rd
6/25/2013 1:12pm
mgifracing wrote:
GrapeApe wrote:
Cytomax is a great product for endurance events (during, not after). For 5 minute motos at the local track, it is not necessary. Greek yogurt and...
Cytomax is a great product for endurance events (during, not after). For 5 minute motos at the local track, it is not necessary.

Greek yogurt and honey is my go-to recovery food, but it's not as portable as chocolate milk. I'll do the latter in a pinch.
I use Greek yogurt and blend it with chocolate protein powder. The protein powder I use is very low carb (1.5g), as my doctor has put me on a low carb diet due to a building insulin resistance. The plain yogurt is only 9 carbs, so it ends up being 10.5g carbs and 49g of protein per serving. Whipping it in the blender it is much like chocolate mousse.
6/25/2013 1:25pm
slipdog wrote:
This is why I'm skeptical of manufactured products, they can be advertised and praised as great products only to be found later to cause health problems...
This is why I'm skeptical of manufactured products, they can be advertised and praised as great products only to be found later to cause health problems. Personally, I'd take paint peeling farts over kidney failure and day.
Watch the movie Bigger Stronger Faster, you will be even more skeptical of manufactured products

Post a reply to: Chocolate milk or Cytomax?

The Latest