Complete lack of mountain bike skill

3D
Do any of you guys find yourself completely sucking on a mountain bike compared to a dirt bike? I'm a mid level A rider but put me on a mountain bike and my 9 year old kicks my ass. I know it's 2 different sports, but I thought some skills would transfer. Not in my case.
|
ti473
9/22/2017 5:34am
No, but I have complete lack of bmx skills
MagMx08
9/22/2017 5:38am
I have this problem, only the other way around. Mtb skills are there, mx skills are far from there.
WTaylor7
9/22/2017 5:43am
For me I can ride good downhill parks and anything on a mountain bike but struggle on a dirt bike
imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
9/22/2017 5:45am
Sounds like you may have more time on the dirt bike thenot the mtn bike.

The Shop

Crush
9/22/2017 5:48am
I'm probably about the same on both, but rarely get spooked on my MTB. At a track with other riders around, i'll admit to being a pusshole, just too much time riding by myself or with my brother I think.
Camp332
9/22/2017 5:54am
Where do you feel you lack MTB skills?

For me when on my MTB while going down hills with some momentum, I feel that I use a motocross technique(standing, weight back, elbows up, looking ahead).

When climbing hills, that's when the proper gear selection, pedaling technique, riding position, and obviously leg power comes into play purely from MTB technique.
Gus
9/22/2017 5:58am
Is MTB becoming more popular ? Or do I just notice because I'm interested in starting ?
Camp332
9/22/2017 6:02am
Gus wrote:
Is MTB becoming more popular ? Or do I just notice because I'm interested in starting ?
You're probably just taking notice to it more now. I love it! Since we have a young family my motocross riding has taken a backseat on my priority list. The MTB is a lot easier for me to get in some great rides close to my house in a shorter amount of time. Not to mention the health benefits of MTB.
IWreckALot
9/22/2017 6:05am
Gus wrote:
Camp332 wrote:
You're probably just taking notice to it more now. I love it! Since we have a young family my motocross riding has taken a backseat on...
You're probably just taking notice to it more now. I love it! Since we have a young family my motocross riding has taken a backseat on my priority list. The MTB is a lot easier for me to get in some great rides close to my house in a shorter amount of time. Not to mention the health benefits of MTB.
Plus the parks are generally free to get into. Easier to load and unload, and it takes a lot less time to gear up for a mtb ride than mtb ride.

I haven't hit the mtb trails in a year or two. I need to get back after it.
3D
9/22/2017 6:07am
Camp332 wrote:
Where do you feel you lack MTB skills? For me when on my MTB while going down hills with some momentum, I feel that I use...

For me when on my MTB while going down hills with some momentum, I feel that I use a motocross technique(standing, weight back, elbows up, looking ahead).

When climbing hills, that's when the proper gear selection, pedaling technique, riding position, and obviously leg power comes into play purely from MTB technique.
I feel like downhill is probably my best, but when it comes to balance without throttle on flat, I suck. I do some tight single track with my 2 sons and I'm constantly hitting my peddles off the ground and getting shifted off balance over what looks little. Roots throw me off and take me too long to recover. My gear selection is getting a little better but still off with the timing. I can't predict anything, it seems.
9/22/2017 6:13am
Crush wrote:
I'm probably about the same on both, but rarely get spooked on my MTB. At a track with other riders around, i'll admit to being a...
I'm probably about the same on both, but rarely get spooked on my MTB. At a track with other riders around, i'll admit to being a pusshole, just too much time riding by myself or with my brother I think.
Do you mean riding by yourself has made your more of a pussy/cautious?

I think I developed the same problem I rode with my friends by our selves from the age of 7 I'm pretty sure I've developed a fear from jumps because of this.
DYE
9/22/2017 6:17am
I have the same problem. I ride with a buddy that use to race downhill. He kicks my ass when it comes to the rough stuff in the hills (even though I have way more experience on a dirt bike than he does mtb). I never realized how much I relied on throttle to get me out of a bad situation. Needless to say many trips over the bars lol...But if I go to a smooth hardpack mtb park I can do pretty ok.
r.sal923
9/22/2017 6:29am
I find that what messes me up is the weight. You have gone from 200+ pounds below you to 25 pounds. It feels very un-balanced and top heavy to jump a mtn bike.
nd54
9/22/2017 6:57am Edited Date/Time 9/22/2017 7:04am
For me the higher the speed on a mtn bike the more comfortable I feel. Raced some bmx as a youth, went to mx for the last 25yrs. Now I spend more time on the mtn bike than the mx bike. The elbows up and riding in the attack position does transfer over to the mountain bike, especially when going down hill. The more you spend time doing one discipline the more you will be comfortable doing it. No substitute for seat time.
Crush
9/22/2017 7:10am Edited Date/Time 9/22/2017 7:11am
Crush wrote:
I'm probably about the same on both, but rarely get spooked on my MTB. At a track with other riders around, i'll admit to being a...
Do you mean riding by yourself has made your more of a pussy/cautious? I think I developed the same problem I rode with my friends by...
Do you mean riding by yourself has made your more of a pussy/cautious?

I think I developed the same problem I rode with my friends by our selves from the age of 7 I'm pretty sure I've developed a fear from jumps because of this.
Yeah since I stopped racing years ago, I rarely rode with lots of other people... just my brother and one or two mates...

So a full practice track day spooked me a bit, and I had more than enough close calls and a few decent crashes due to other people's dumb track decisions. Not even a plastic trophy at stake and people being dopey, unexperienced or outright aggro because they've got a tiny dick.

The days where it was empty, i'd push way harder and have more fun. Some of it is perspective, I don't wanna take unneeded risks with three people relying on me, so it just turned into a mental trade I couldn't make.
brocster
9/22/2017 7:14am
Camp332 wrote:
Where do you feel you lack MTB skills? For me when on my MTB while going down hills with some momentum, I feel that I use...

3D wrote:
I feel like downhill is probably my best, but when it comes to balance without throttle on flat, I suck. I do some tight single track...
I feel like downhill is probably my best, but when it comes to balance without throttle on flat, I suck. I do some tight single track with my 2 sons and I'm constantly hitting my peddles off the ground and getting shifted off balance over what looks little. Roots throw me off and take me too long to recover. My gear selection is getting a little better but still off with the timing. I can't predict anything, it seems.
The more time you spend the more you will recognize the similarities between the two. MTB's are light and deflect more off of what you would wouldn't even consider a "thing/object" on a dirt bike. Line selection will smooth things out a bit. You can't just plow over things that you are used to seeing from behind the bars of a mx bike and often times you have to snake your way. Especially when climbing. You shouldn't be catching pedals on anything unless you are trying to pedal through corners. In that case time your cadence to where your inside pedal is up at the apex of your turn. You'll get the hang of it. Keep at it. I am having a blast now that I have got real hills to ride rather than all those years spent on flat singletrack.
Ryno23
Fantasy
891st
9/22/2017 7:50am
ti473 wrote:
No, but I have complete lack of bmx skills
ME TOO!!! I am a very solid Vet A rider in any discipline of dirt bike racing, solid mountain biker on xc or downhill, but my BMX skills are embarrassing!!! My 8 y/o son got into BMX this year and damn do I look like a squid on the track!!!!
Samuel
9/22/2017 8:43am
Gus wrote:
I see more bikes on racks, and the trails are more crowded than just a few years back. It's definitely growing in popularity. I meet new bikers all the time. Rarely see a new guy starting out in moto. As for the two, I'm about the same in both. I love both almost equally. I'd probably choose a day of lift assisted mountain biking at a good park over a day at a motocross track. But take away the lift, I'd I'd rather ride moto.
9/22/2017 11:08am
3D wrote:
Do any of you guys find yourself completely sucking on a mountain bike compared to a dirt bike? I'm a mid level A rider but put...
Do any of you guys find yourself completely sucking on a mountain bike compared to a dirt bike? I'm a mid level A rider but put me on a mountain bike and my 9 year old kicks my ass. I know it's 2 different sports, but I thought some skills would transfer. Not in my case.
Yes, my girlfriend is in mountain and when we meet I got a mountain bike and she got a MX. Getting into mountain was pretty hard. The clip really gave me a hard time and still a bit. The way you balance in the two sports are really different. If I go pure downhill with flat pedal I'm getting good but XC or enduro (mix of XC and Downhill) is really tough.

One thing is make sure you have the right bike for the type of riding you're doing. The enduro..isshh bike are doing everything good. But the suspension on mountain bike are really limited compared to the MX. I can't believe how simply are the suspension compare to MX.

If you don't feel comfortable try a + bike wich have bigger tire. A lot of peoples will say it's a girl size but it give a lot of confidence.It did the work for me.
Markee
Fantasy
1890th
9/22/2017 12:37pm
Not really to the OP. Two wheels is two wheels to me.

Was riding yesterday and haven't been on this trail in 10 years, came across some bmx rhythms. Said screw it, lets knock off some dust!

Probably the only dork doing jumps with a HR monitor on.

[embed]
ando
9/22/2017 1:05pm
I enjoy both although I got rid of the dirt bike a couple of years ago. I found the skills transferred to MTB reasonably well. The main thing I had to adjust for was not relying on a squirt of power to get over an obstacle.

Most of the guys I used to ride MTB with came from road cycling. They would cane me on the flat trails but as soon as it got technical I would pass them back easily.
brian878
9/22/2017 4:55pm
I am a puss on the moto but don't have that same fear on my MTB. I started riding moto late in life to help my MTB skills as I was racing MTB at the time. I've been riding MTB for a lot longer and ridden on terrain where you either commit or are walking. So that helps with the puss factor. In moto, there's usually a puss option (double instead of triple lol!).
davis224
Fantasy
165th
9/22/2017 5:17pm
Same. My buddy who occasionally rides his mtb asked me to go with him, and he absolutely waxed me through the trails. I couldnt get used to pedaling at all, or the weightless feel of the bike. I felt more comfortable on downhills, but still way off of what I could do on a dirt bike

Post a reply to: Complete lack of mountain bike skill

The Latest