Crowd size now and crowd size then

honda907
I'm not out in CA, but in Penciltucky. Watching the races on my phone with the app it seems like the crowd size is smaller than a few years ago, and much, much smaller than in the 70's and 80's

Do you think the prime spots that the VIP tents are on take away/ block prime viewing do a normal spectator? Is the Saturday package to blame? Or the app?

I hope the promoters are making money to keep the venues open for Outdoor MX next year. It would be a shame if more professional stops go under.

I really can't see WW Ranch doing well in June with the heat and the afternoon rain. I was there for the GP and it wasn't what I called "well attended". I could walk anywhere and see that race. Not like the 70's,, that's for sure. Or Budds Creek in 2007 for the MXoN.

Those atmospheres at the races make you feel like part of something big. If you weren't around for a Unadilla race in the '70s, you don't understand what I'm talking about...........

|
Sideways
5/26/2019 4:26am Edited Date/Time 5/26/2019 4:27am
People are to comfortable and lazy today. You can see everything better from the couch and play fortnite between motos. Its sad..

Looking at mxgp right now and the french crowd always shows up though!
Premix
5/26/2019 4:43am
The drive into Pala sucks. One main road and that’s it.
Dropbear
5/26/2019 4:47am
Been to both US Nationals and GP’s. Both are great but the buzz in the European towns that I’ve been to (Gimont, Namur, Cingoli among others) was fantastic. You stay for a couple of days and soak it all up. There’s always the beer tents too.
500 Mike
5/26/2019 4:48am
High Point is the same way..... basically one way in and out and that place has been very well attended in the past. I haven’t attended in 10 yrs or so since I moved to TX so can’t say what it’s like recently. Traffic was always a nightmare getting out of there.

The Shop

5/26/2019 5:11am
Many years ago...I read an article on the subject. The gist of it was that because Europe didnt have NFL, MLB, NBA etc, and their culture wasn't built around television (for example Britain only had BBC 1 and 2), European fans loved attending MX live and in person. I know with the digital age, things have changed, but watching MXGP and seeing the size of those crowds, the desire to be there in person hasn't diminished, for generations now. SX was created partly (mainly?) because it was recognized that they could pull more people if moto could be viewed from the comfort of a stadium and all of it's amenities. Like an NFL or MLB game. Our culture here, and what is rammed down our throats, is NFL, MLB, NBA and NASCAR.
MX, not so much. I love the obscurity of the sport and being one of the relativley few who attend MX in person.
See ya at Thunder Valley, Ironman, and Spring Creek?
KennyT
Fantasy
233rd
5/26/2019 7:32am
Live TV will always hurt attendance. That’s why you have black out rules in NFL/MLB

Last time I checked most National tracks are out n the backwoods with two lane roads. Pala traffic is no worse than any other National I’ve been to. Show up a little early and you will do just fine
Spergen
5/26/2019 8:03am
I live 15 miles away and wanted to go. Just Not worth the crazy traffic jams.
15 miles and you were put off by the traffic jams ! With the US one day format I would of got my cycle out. Christ I would of even gone on a space hopper to not mis that so close ! ?
plowboy
5/26/2019 8:09am
I've been to MX/GP races since the '70's. The traffic has never once been a problem for me. I arrive before the gates open and just bench race with folks in the lot til the craziness is over. The race is on the track...not in/out of the parking lots.

Now, if you need something to gripe about...it's the lines for food and especially water. We used to bitch about the lack of port-o-pots but most tracks have a decent handle on that nowadays. I'd gladly pay an extra $20 bucks to get a stamp on my hand that gave me unlimited water at DEDICATED "water only" kiosks that are as plentiful as the pottys. It's stupid to stand in line for 30 minutes at a food vendor when all you want is a bottle of water. Yes, I could carry my own but have you tried schlepping a case of water around Thunder Valley...lol. I vaguely remember talking to DC about this year's ago. He said food and beverage is the track operators deal, if I remember correctly. In any case, it ain't a deal breaker.
JM485
5/26/2019 8:30am
Spergen wrote:
15 miles and you were put off by the traffic jams ! With the US one day format I would of got my cycle out. Christ...
15 miles and you were put off by the traffic jams ! With the US one day format I would of got my cycle out. Christ I would of even gone on a space hopper to not mis that so close ! ?
I can't even believe some of the stuff I read on here, can you imagine living 15 miles from a national and you couldn't be bothered to attend?Laughing There is literally nothing like being able to see the event in person, way better than supercross could ever hope to be and a much more grass roots experience, like it should be.
Hammer 663s
5/26/2019 8:34am
It's an access issue for me. Long-time attendee at Hangtown, where there are multiple routes in and out and it's smoothly managed. Now local to Washougal, I dread going there for the Nationals. easy 2-3 hours to get out after the races. Plus, you really can't see much of the track from any given point. Much easier (and way cheaper!) to stay home and watch it on tv. But, oh, the smell of race gas.......

Hammer 663s
observeroffacts
Fantasy
3725th
5/26/2019 8:38am
honda907 wrote:
I'm not out in CA, but in Penciltucky. Watching the races on my phone with the app it seems like the crowd size is smaller than...
I'm not out in CA, but in Penciltucky. Watching the races on my phone with the app it seems like the crowd size is smaller than a few years ago, and much, much smaller than in the 70's and 80's

Do you think the prime spots that the VIP tents are on take away/ block prime viewing do a normal spectator? Is the Saturday package to blame? Or the app?

I hope the promoters are making money to keep the venues open for Outdoor MX next year. It would be a shame if more professional stops go under.

I really can't see WW Ranch doing well in June with the heat and the afternoon rain. I was there for the GP and it wasn't what I called "well attended". I could walk anywhere and see that race. Not like the 70's,, that's for sure. Or Budds Creek in 2007 for the MXoN.

Those atmospheres at the races make you feel like part of something big. If you weren't around for a Unadilla race in the '70s, you don't understand what I'm talking about...........

Millville is PACKED every year still. it’s great.
824 Dad
5/26/2019 8:42am Edited Date/Time 5/26/2019 9:13am
I haven’t been to a National in a few years, I only live a few miles from Pala now and figured I had to go. Was worrried about the traffic but left a little early and stayed after a bit and traffic was a non-issue. Spectator crowd was really light, scary to a point and heard a lot of industry people talking about it and frustrated with what takes and costs to have a presence there. There’s nothing like a live out door race. If we don’t support them they are going to be gone.
aeffertz
5/26/2019 9:00am
Millville is PACKED every year still. it’s great.
You're not lying. I have to watch this video a lot for reference for something I'm working on and am always amazed at how many people are along the fences! The road leading in and out of there is a windy and hilly two lane highway too, just like most other tracks.

https://youtu.be/sV4FsjpuqZs
tiddlermx23
5/26/2019 9:20am
BRING BACK SUNDAY MOTOCROSS! My money hasn't gone to pro moto for 5 of the last 7 years simply because I and many millions of other Americans have to work the 6th day of the week. If Highpoint was on a Sunday this year regardless of my future vacation plans I would still attend regardless. Nevertheless I will be at work father's day Saturday with 15 other guys who didn't spend their money that day to watch the race.
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1177th
5/26/2019 9:23am
Crowd size at Pala was definitely on the weak side, at least in comparison to Hangtown last year or Glen Helen the year before.

Maybe it was where we parked (near will call), but traffic in was maybe a 15 minute back up and leaving was virtually no stopping at all. Traffic was much worse in random areas on the freeway in So Cal.
avidchimp
Fantasy
1250th
5/26/2019 10:04am
I worked a 17 hour day Friday into Saturday morning, otherwise I would have dealt with all of the potential traffic to see that race and I live close to three hours away. What a great day of racing yesterday was.

15 miles? Really dude?
Brad460
Fantasy
736th
5/26/2019 10:16am
Sideways wrote:
People are to comfortable and lazy today. You can see everything better from the couch and play fortnite between motos. Its sad.. Looking at mxgp right...
People are to comfortable and lazy today. You can see everything better from the couch and play fortnite between motos. Its sad..

We watched the motos on NBC gold yesterday and the kids rode their PW50 and Stacyc between races. I am doing my best not to raise snowflakes and we don’t use the term “colorway” around this house..Laughing
mxb2
5/26/2019 10:24am
Spergen wrote:
15 miles and you were put off by the traffic jams ! With the US one day format I would of got my cycle out. Christ...
JM485 wrote:
I can't even believe some of the stuff I read on here, can you imagine living 15 miles from a national and you couldn't be bothered...
I can't even believe some of the stuff I read on here, can you imagine living 15 miles from a national and you couldn't be bothered to attend?Laughing There is literally nothing like being able to see the event in person, way better than supercross could ever hope to be and a much more grass roots experience, like it should be.
Agreed
RexEasely
5/26/2019 10:32am
824 Dad wrote:
I haven’t been to a National in a few years, I only live a few miles from Pala now and figured I had to go. Was...
I haven’t been to a National in a few years, I only live a few miles from Pala now and figured I had to go. Was worrried about the traffic but left a little early and stayed after a bit and traffic was a non-issue. Spectator crowd was really light, scary to a point and heard a lot of industry people talking about it and frustrated with what takes and costs to have a presence there. There’s nothing like a live out door race. If we don’t support them they are going to be gone.
Super light crowd thus no traffic.
dadofagun
Fantasy
1926th
5/26/2019 10:42am Edited Date/Time 5/26/2019 10:44am
Spergen wrote:
JM485 wrote:
I can't even believe some of the stuff I read on here, can you imagine living 15 miles from a national and you couldn't be bothered...
mxb2 wrote:
Agreed
Hell, I would have rode a bicycle if traffic was that awful, and the event were that close. Or walked, and I'm an old fucker...... Ok, maybe not the walking part so much.
Motodave15
5/26/2019 11:15am
California Crowds should be taken with a heavy grain of salt...Other states and locations definitely pull out the real ones.
Sierra Ranger
5/26/2019 11:30am
Attending a national is pretty grueling, and people are not as willing to walk a mile, stand in the sun, spend lots of dollars and come home dusty and tired. I hauled my 5 year-old daughter around in a wagon at Hangtown in the mud and the next day felt like I had spun a few laps. But attending is still the best- it's a party!
downard254
5/26/2019 11:31am
Premix wrote:
Never been to Mt. Morris eh?
tiddlermx23
5/26/2019 12:00pm
Premix wrote:
downard254 wrote:
Mt. Morris has 3 points of entry if you know your way around. One from Granville, one from Mt. Morris exit, and one from pt. Marion. Never been a problem for me.
honda907
5/26/2019 12:43pm Edited Date/Time 5/26/2019 1:04pm
I go to H Point, but that crowd isn't the crowd of the early 80's. Not even close. The experience isn't there either, just like Unadilla lost it. No more nightlife, no more " the other side sucks", just not much of an experience and something to talk about at work, to friends, etc. the following week to make people think they missed a great event.

I listen to Pulp MX on long drives for years. Mathis said that the viewing numbers are "crap". Nobody is watching on the TV, but maybe the app has good numbers. I don't know. I know MX is following the path of flat track racing and GNCC and offroad seems to be the "New MX". It is becoming huge.

Watching Indy 500, people pack that place. I never have gone, but it must be an experience to go to the brickyard since they are sure packed there.
Premix
5/26/2019 1:32pm
downard254 wrote:
Go to Mt. Morris every year, it’s nothing compared to Pala
5/26/2019 1:37pm
Spergen wrote:
Apparently you weren't there during the last pala national and have zero clue what kind of cluster fuck it was.
mxpro252
5/26/2019 1:47pm
Sideways wrote:
People are to comfortable and lazy today. You can see everything better from the couch and play fortnite between motos. Its sad.. Looking at mxgp right...

Brad460 wrote:
We watched the motos on NBC gold yesterday and the kids rode their PW50 and Stacyc between races. I am doing my best not to raise...
We watched the motos on NBC gold yesterday and the kids rode their PW50 and Stacyc between races. I am doing my best not to raise snowflakes and we don’t use the term “colorway” around this house..Laughing
Same here, but what the hell does colorway mean?
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
5/26/2019 2:08pm
Motodave15 wrote:
California Crowds should be taken with a heavy grain of salt...Other states and locations definitely pull out the real ones.
You're not wrong. Late-arriving, and early departure is the order of the day for CA fans.

Post a reply to: Crowd size now and crowd size then

The Latest