Cutting your own line and ruining other peoples lines, Am I the only one?

Johnny Depp
Edited Date/Time 6/13/2019 11:01am
In practice I try to establish a line that I prefer, often it is to develop an inside line where everyone else is sliding their boots. As the day goes on, I am guilty of entering the corner high in the berm and cutting down half way to destroy the integrity of all of the inside ruts. I sometimes do the same on slot car straightaways, cutting across the ruts. After a few laps their perfect ruts look like chopped spaghetti. I don't feel bad about it. I do feel better now that I have confessed.
|
nytsmaC
6/11/2019 8:20pm Edited Date/Time 6/11/2019 8:24pm
I go where I want

Those lines tend to be faster until I get tired and proper technique goes out the window. At that point I look to make my own new smooth line, except while racing and trying to be a roadblock.
Johnny Depp
6/11/2019 9:05pm
nytsmaC wrote:
I go where I want Those lines tend to be faster until I get tired and proper technique goes out the window. At that point I...
I go where I want

Those lines tend to be faster until I get tired and proper technique goes out the window. At that point I look to make my own new smooth line, except while racing and trying to be a roadblock.
I don't block so much, I create a massive wall of roost with my 480 that few dare to get near. Pass me fast or pay the price Laughing

The Shop

Turbojez
6/12/2019 1:12am
I go where my bike takes me.

I am a passenger
And I ride and I ride.
Johnny Oz
6/12/2019 3:23am
Love it !!! Yep l am guilty of going high, squaring-off and destroying ruts, too bad suckers ;-)
Markee
Fantasy
1941st
6/12/2019 4:59am Edited Date/Time 6/12/2019 5:03am
One of the best feelings in moto is laying over in a rut and hitting it perfect. Not every track day has good lines, but to just square up and mess them up to me is chicken shit.

Get a quad bro.
cbarber
Fantasy
1952nd
6/12/2019 5:09am
nytsmaC wrote:
I go where I want Those lines tend to be faster until I get tired and proper technique goes out the window. At that point I...
I go where I want

I don't block so much, I create a massive wall of roost with my 480 that few dare to get near. Pass me fast or pay...
I don't block so much, I create a massive wall of roost with my 480 that few dare to get near. Pass me fast or pay the price Laughing
you don't have your 480 in your signature, better add it....
Forty
6/12/2019 5:10am
In practice I try to establish a line that I prefer, often it is to develop an inside line where everyone else is sliding their boots...
In practice I try to establish a line that I prefer, often it is to develop an inside line where everyone else is sliding their boots. As the day goes on, I am guilty of entering the corner high in the berm and cutting down half way to destroy the integrity of all of the inside ruts. I sometimes do the same on slot car straightaways, cutting across the ruts. After a few laps their perfect ruts look like chopped spaghetti. I don't feel bad about it. I do feel better now that I have confessed.
When I was in the Novice class/ C class I did that because ruts were difficult and as they formed I tried ways to avoid them. Now I can ride a rut and it’s a sweet deal.

So you’re that guy huh?
bh84
Fantasy
1761st
6/12/2019 5:24am
Markee wrote:
One of the best feelings in moto is laying over in a rut and hitting it perfect. Not every track day has good lines, but to...
One of the best feelings in moto is laying over in a rut and hitting it perfect. Not every track day has good lines, but to just square up and mess them up to me is chicken shit.

Get a quad bro.
And here I am the quad guy who makes sure to leave as many ruts intact as I can. I’m pretty sure riding the way OP described is doing more damage to them than I ever could Laughing
Markee
Fantasy
1941st
6/12/2019 5:43am
Markee wrote:
One of the best feelings in moto is laying over in a rut and hitting it perfect. Not every track day has good lines, but to...

Get a quad bro.
bh84 wrote:
And here I am the quad guy who makes sure to leave as many ruts intact as I can. I’m pretty sure riding the way OP...
And here I am the quad guy who makes sure to leave as many ruts intact as I can. I’m pretty sure riding the way OP described is doing more damage to them than I ever could Laughing
Turning a motorcycle in a rut is harder than turning a quad. Fact.

If you are not going to practice on practice day, then whats the point? Just use the machine that does the most damage and requires less effort in the area you can't seem to grasp, turning.

Also, why show up to the track with all these stupid ruts, just go ride in a field.
Johnny Depp
6/12/2019 6:10am
nytsmaC wrote:
I go where I want

I don't block so much, I create a massive wall of roost with my 480 that few dare to get near. Pass me fast or pay...
cbarber wrote:
you don't have your 480 in your signature, better add it....
Beta markets it as a 500, but it's a 480.
BobKerr
6/12/2019 6:28am
We all pay the same amount to ride the track. Ride where you want.
Myke
Fantasy
2887th
6/12/2019 6:48am Edited Date/Time 6/12/2019 6:48am
In practice I try to establish a line that I prefer, often it is to develop an inside line where everyone else is sliding their boots...
This really doesn't sound like the fastest or smoothest way around the corner. Plus if someone is entering the corner behind you to hit the rut you are cutting right across their line. I personally don't like when people don't hold their line on open practice days it is unsafe.
motox331
6/12/2019 7:02am
Seems pretty shitty to me, If a nice rust develops and some asshat destroyed it I'd be pretty pissed but as others said you have every right to ride where you want as long as you do it safely. Instead of destroying the nice ruts why not try and work on your technique in them?
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
6/12/2019 8:02am
The advent of the 4 stroke has completely changed the way lines develop. (And ruined the good lines for us smokers, BTW.) I don't go out of my way to ruin other people's lines but now that I know about it.... You f'ers deserve it! Laughing
Mr. Afterbar
6/12/2019 8:12am
If the line sucks, I have no problem blowing it out to make a better one. If it's good, hit it. Ruts are the best.
ga_pike
6/12/2019 8:14am
For some reason, it just seems that ruts/lines in corners do not form in the best places for speed. So it would make sense if you were creating a faster line of your own. If we all raced the same lines, there would be zero passing.

Do what you want and works best for you.

Disagree? Feel free to order a pizza and take a nap. Or don't. Doesn't matter.
6/12/2019 8:22am
I ride my lines better than I ride "community" lines. If I struggle with a portion of the main line I start looking for/making my own.
FWYT
6/12/2019 8:28am
Pourcel did that a lot, I think, when the rut was choppy or hooked. Go outside, square it and
come back across the top of the rut. If it's faster, why not? Man, I miss watching him ride. Poetry.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
6/12/2019 8:31am
At certain tracks near me(Gorman) everyone rides the same 2 or 3 lines, leaving a huge area for me to create new lines. I get to develop them exactly how I want them to be and where I want them to be and for the most part, no one else uses them. It's pretty sweet!

I don't cut over other lines though. The ruts are usually hard by that point anyways so I'd most likely eat it before ruining them Laughing
aeffertz
6/12/2019 8:32am
Riding diagonally across ruts on a straight away for the sole purpose of fucking them up sounds like quite possibly the goonest thing one could do. What the hell?
tek14
6/12/2019 8:40am
Making new better rut is just cool. Distroying good ruts with Quad, Trike, Sidecar or other piece of it is not cool.
Johnny Depp
6/12/2019 8:43am
aeffertz wrote:
Riding diagonally across ruts on a straight away for the sole purpose of fucking them up sounds like quite possibly the goonest thing one could do...
Riding diagonally across ruts on a straight away for the sole purpose of fucking them up sounds like quite possibly the goonest thing one could do. What the hell?
I hate slot car racing, so I help with the Prep
gt80rider
6/12/2019 8:47am
Markee wrote:

Get a quad bro.
The best feeling I've ever had-

Loads of farmland........ spring time...... knee high grass......... new YZ250 smoker....... NEW tires......... rained ALL DAY the day before, a nice slow rain...... no previous track existed on the ground.......... made new track using various trees as the corner markers........ and the crème de la crème- loads of fresh, deep, luscious ruts....... OMG the bliss of fresh/perfect ruts in every corner, that were made by me, for me.........

excuse me while I go clean up a bit......... Smile
BobPA
6/12/2019 8:56am
aeffertz wrote:
Riding diagonally across ruts on a straight away for the sole purpose of fucking them up sounds like quite possibly the goonest thing one could do...
I hate slot car racing, so I help with the Prep
Can you put up a GoPro video of this? I do not see how you could go diagonally across straightaway ruts....I feel like it would just end in a yard sale.
6/12/2019 8:58am
Falcon wrote:
The advent of the 4 stroke has completely changed the way lines develop. (And ruined the good lines for us smokers, BTW.) I don't go out...
The advent of the 4 stroke has completely changed the way lines develop. (And ruined the good lines for us smokers, BTW.) I don't go out of my way to ruin other people's lines but now that I know about it.... You f'ers deserve it! Laughing
This for sure. I haven't rode a 2 stroke since '03 but that was my biggest frustration. Everyone racing 4 strokes and running terrible lines for two strokes.

These says I'll make my own lines late in the day when the lines that were good are so chopped out. Or if the lines were developed by point and shoot novices.
6/12/2019 9:29am
I think you are over estimating the effect you’re having? Creating a notch at the top of the rut isn’t going to make it unrideable. if you’re purposely trying to mess up better ruts then you’re a kook
bh84
Fantasy
1761st
6/12/2019 9:39am Edited Date/Time 6/12/2019 9:40am
Markee wrote:

Get a quad bro.
bh84 wrote:
And here I am the quad guy who makes sure to leave as many ruts intact as I can. I’m pretty sure riding the way OP...
Markee wrote:
Turning a motorcycle in a rut is harder than turning a quad. Fact. If you are not going to practice on practice day, then whats the...
Turning a motorcycle in a rut is harder than turning a quad. Fact.

If you are not going to practice on practice day, then whats the point? Just use the machine that does the most damage and requires less effort in the area you can't seem to grasp, turning.

Also, why show up to the track with all these stupid ruts, just go ride in a field.
Maybe you didn’t read my comment right. When I ride on MX tracks, I make sure to leave as many ruts intact as I can so I don’t ruin it for the bike guys. It’s a courtesy.

As for your comments.

As far as the degree of difficulty, getting a bike through a rut is not that hard, I’ve raced bikes too. Takes technique sure but it’s not like it takes much work. Getting a quad through a corner with deep bike ruts when your a-arms are dragging and your front wheels are constantly switching between being in the ruts and climbing out of them is a challenge, especially from a physical standpoint. That’s 400lbs of machine that doesn’t want to co operate with you.

I ride tracks because that’s what I like to do, that’s what I built my quad for and that’s what I’m damn good at. When I raced it wasn’t any kind of surprise for me to beat the lap times the bike guys laid down.

Post a reply to: Cutting your own line and ruining other peoples lines, Am I the only one?

The Latest