Dan Gurney RIP

Snoqualmie
Edited Date/Time 1/15/2018 7:38pm
A true legend in American Motorsport - automobiles and motorcycles.

F1, IndyCar, LeMans, Daytona, IMSA, Can-Am, Trans-Am...he won in all.

Strong links to motocross as well - Montesa distributor and recently built David Bailey’s RAAM bike

http://allamericanracers.com/aar-creates-some-new-vehicles/

|
jeffro503
1/14/2018 4:53pm
Oh man this sucks to hear. Dan was a legend like you said above , in many forms of motorsports. His name has been around for as long as I can remember. RIP Dan.
DL
1/14/2018 5:00pm
Great guy. Got the chance to meet him a few times. RIP Dan.
BMSOBx2
1/14/2018 5:00pm
Very sorry to hear that. He was an absolute Legend a giant. Won a Formula One race in an American car of his own design. Invented the spraying of champagne in the Winner's Circle. He could drive anything. One of the best of all time. R.I.P Dan, say hi to Fangio and Ascari.

The Shop

KennyT
Fantasy
280th
1/14/2018 5:03pm
Saw him win the NASCAR race at Riverside 5 out of 6 years as a child. Amazing as he was winning at F1, Can Am, Trans Am and Indy cars at the same time. To me this guy was the greatest auto racer of all time. And yes he did have strong ties to Motorcycles

His son Justin races vintage MX here in So Cal and while he was well you would see Dan n the pits. One of the nicest and brightest people to ever grace this earth
HuskyEd
1/14/2018 5:27pm
You can thank Dan Gurney the next time your too close to the podium and get sprayed with champagne, he invented the podium champagne spray.

RIP Dan Gurney
jeffro503
1/14/2018 5:49pm
Hey guys....didn't Dan's son post here at one time? It dawned on me a bit ago and thought I remembered a guy on here saying Dan was his dad. Maybe it was a nephew?
Bigfoot
1/14/2018 6:14pm
Dan Gurney's shop built the carbon-fiber hand-cycles that David Bailey and Doug Henry used in last year's Race Across America. With all of the custom work and man-hours devoted to building these two machines, they were valued at about $70.000 each.

Bailey and Henry, of course, teamed up with Jeff Ward and Micky Dymond. With Ward and Dymond on standard bicycles, the 4-person team powered themselves the 3,089 miles from Oceanside, California to Annapolis, Maryland in seven days, 19 hours, and 58 minutes…an average speed was 16.33mph. They finished second in their category (four-person 50-59 team), about four hours behind a team all competing on regular bikes.

Bailey was obviously thrilled at his RAAM outcome and about his Gurney Racing machine. Asked at the finish if he sees more ultra-cycling events in his future he said, “I’m going to keep those options open. I’ve got an incredible bike now, and I’m not going to just let it sit and collect dust. I’m going to ride it and stay fit enough because it’s good for my lifestyle. Doug said, “This is a lifestyle change. Thanks for getting me into this.’ That’s one of the things I really wanted to promote. Besides helping injured riders for Road2Recovery, just people in general. If we can get anybody out to ride, that’s a good thing. I don’t think I’ve ever come back from a ride, short or long, and thought, ‘Well that was a waste of time.’ I always feel better.”

At that moment Bailey was called away to join his teammates in spraying some champagne to celebrate. “And by the way,” he said, just before rolling away, “Dan Gurney started that tradition at LeMans back in ’67. They handed the champagne to him and A.J. Foyt, and Gurney decided to spray it and now everybody does. And now I’m going to go and do just that.”

1/14/2018 6:41pm
Well, the passing of an absolute legend.... The amount that man contributed to motorsports worldwide is hard to quantify, but he left a mark that will be seen forever.

RIP, what a life he lived.
Stoneface
1/14/2018 6:44pm
Love reading these posts honoring and remembering Dan Gurney. Vital forum at its best. Thanks for educating us guys who didn't know how wide the great man's range was.
dimetime
1/14/2018 6:46pm
Another great one gone.

RIP.
Deek22
1/14/2018 6:58pm
Absolutely devastated. Been my boss for 19 years. His passion for motorsports has led our company from 4 wheels to 2 wheels to 3 wheels, space and beyond. He allowed us to work on crazy projects when work was slow even if they were personal. He was in the shop everyday even as last Monday. I started working at AAR in 1998 during the Champ Car days from there i started working with Dan building 70HP fuel injected Honda XR650l air cooled motors for his Alligator motorcycles. We would think of different Cams and Crank percentages and piston speeds get it made and tested on the dyno within two weeks. I learned so much from him.
I cant type anymore. Sorry.
Snoqualmie
1/14/2018 7:05pm
Deek22 wrote:
Absolutely devastated. Been my boss for 19 years. His passion for motorsports has led our company from 4 wheels to 2 wheels to 3 wheels, space...
Absolutely devastated. Been my boss for 19 years. His passion for motorsports has led our company from 4 wheels to 2 wheels to 3 wheels, space and beyond. He allowed us to work on crazy projects when work was slow even if they were personal. He was in the shop everyday even as last Monday. I started working at AAR in 1998 during the Champ Car days from there i started working with Dan building 70HP fuel injected Honda XR650l air cooled motors for his Alligator motorcycles. We would think of different Cams and Crank percentages and piston speeds get it made and tested on the dyno within two weeks. I learned so much from him.
My condolences. Rex.
Snoqualmie
1/14/2018 7:10pm

Dan Gurney with a few young Euro motocrossers - DeCoster, Robert, Hallman, and a few I don’t know
Snoqualmie
1/14/2018 7:18pm
Bigfoot wrote:
Dan Gurney's shop built the carbon-fiber hand-cycles that David Bailey and Doug Henry used in last year's Race Across America. With all of the custom work...
Dan Gurney's shop built the carbon-fiber hand-cycles that David Bailey and Doug Henry used in last year's Race Across America. With all of the custom work and man-hours devoted to building these two machines, they were valued at about $70.000 each.

Bailey and Henry, of course, teamed up with Jeff Ward and Micky Dymond. With Ward and Dymond on standard bicycles, the 4-person team powered themselves the 3,089 miles from Oceanside, California to Annapolis, Maryland in seven days, 19 hours, and 58 minutes…an average speed was 16.33mph. They finished second in their category (four-person 50-59 team), about four hours behind a team all competing on regular bikes.

Bailey was obviously thrilled at his RAAM outcome and about his Gurney Racing machine. Asked at the finish if he sees more ultra-cycling events in his future he said, “I’m going to keep those options open. I’ve got an incredible bike now, and I’m not going to just let it sit and collect dust. I’m going to ride it and stay fit enough because it’s good for my lifestyle. Doug said, “This is a lifestyle change. Thanks for getting me into this.’ That’s one of the things I really wanted to promote. Besides helping injured riders for Road2Recovery, just people in general. If we can get anybody out to ride, that’s a good thing. I don’t think I’ve ever come back from a ride, short or long, and thought, ‘Well that was a waste of time.’ I always feel better.”

At that moment Bailey was called away to join his teammates in spraying some champagne to celebrate. “And by the way,” he said, just before rolling away, “Dan Gurney started that tradition at LeMans back in ’67. They handed the champagne to him and A.J. Foyt, and Gurney decided to spray it and now everybody does. And now I’m going to go and do just that.”

GuyB
Fantasy
988th
1/14/2018 9:27pm
Another legend gone. Sorry to see it.
PFitzG38
1/14/2018 9:44pm
Deek22 wrote:
Absolutely devastated. Been my boss for 19 years. His passion for motorsports has led our company from 4 wheels to 2 wheels to 3 wheels, space...
Horrible horrible news. One of the best jobs I ever had was working with you guys. Still not sure I made the right choice to leave. I have so much respect for Dan Gurney, AAR and everything it stands for and has accomplished throughout the years. Such an amazing human. So sorry.
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1154th
1/14/2018 11:52pm
RIP legend... I just lost my Nan today. She passed away in her sleep at home in Belgium. She was 91.

She's reunited with my pop, dad, and one of my uncles now.Smile
Gukamonster
1/15/2018 4:01am
Deek22 wrote:
RIP Dan Gurney

I remember those 1998 CART cars and the "Eagle" chassis as a kid, they looked cool. Toyota was getting into the series then and I think Dan's team was their main effort.

Post a reply to: Dan Gurney RIP

The Latest