Daytona Yard Sale

GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
Edited Date/Time 3/10/2020 12:54am
Yikes, this was a mess.

I talked to Nick Gaines a few minutes ago, and he said he got a broken hand out of the deal. I was fearing worse after I saw Chase get him (and Nick said there was nothing that Chase could have done).

|
3/9/2020 12:20pm Edited Date/Time 3/9/2020 12:20pm
Ohhh!!!... OHHH!!!! was all I could get out when I saw Gaines take that one-two hit

Really glad to hear he escaped with only a broken hand
crowe176
3/9/2020 12:24pm Edited Date/Time 3/9/2020 12:25pm
Catching up on the heats right now and holy balls. The kid (edit Gaines) Sexton smoked was unreal. That was so scary. We’re the whoops bigger for the night show than they were pre-qualifying?
dimetime
3/9/2020 12:26pm
It was ugly even for SX. Immediately everyone in the room gasped.

Really surprised the injury list isn't longer and quite happy he got away with only a broken hand.

The Shop

3/9/2020 12:34pm
[b]Ohhh!!![/b]... [i][b]OHHH!!!! [/b][/i] was all I could get out when I saw Gaines take that one-two hit Really glad to hear he escaped with only a...
Ohhh!!!... OHHH!!!! was all I could get out when I saw Gaines take that one-two hit

Really glad to hear he escaped with only a broken hand
This is the first I’ve heard it’s only a broken hand, and dang that’s a relief. That was a scary one.
3/9/2020 12:38pm
crowe176 wrote:
Catching up on the heats right now and holy balls. The kid (edit Gaines) Sexton smoked was unreal. That was so scary. We’re the whoops bigger...
Catching up on the heats right now and holy balls. The kid (edit Gaines) Sexton smoked was unreal. That was so scary. We’re the whoops bigger for the night show than they were pre-qualifying?
Yes. I guess this is the reason why RC almost ate shit in the whoops during opening ceremonies
peelout
3/9/2020 12:43pm
my heart sank when i saw Pierce going over the bars, nasty wreck for all involved
3/9/2020 12:50pm
There’s a post going around Facebook about this crash stating that those whoops were built after practice and qualifying were finished without letting the riders know. Curious What was this section looking like on Friday guyb? I’m guessing they were originally whoops, wore down to rollers in qualifying then built up again for the night show
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
3/9/2020 1:34pm
There’s a post going around Facebook about this crash stating that those whoops were built after practice and qualifying were finished without letting the riders know...
There’s a post going around Facebook about this crash stating that those whoops were built after practice and qualifying were finished without letting the riders know. Curious What was this section looking like on Friday guyb? I’m guessing they were originally whoops, wore down to rollers in qualifying then built up again for the night show
They don’t generally get to ride the whoops on Friday.
KYFHO699
3/9/2020 1:52pm
That second 250 heat was pretty nasty in the whoops as well.
Sparkey
3/9/2020 1:56pm Edited Date/Time 3/9/2020 2:03pm
There’s a post going around Facebook about this crash stating that those whoops were built after practice and qualifying were finished without letting the riders know...
Someone close to the situation

"My heart aches this morning for Nick Gaines Wesley Delaney Bill Dill and the whole extended 3D Racing family. Once again AMA & the FIM show total incompetence and lack of professionalism and respect for the racers. Last night’s Daytona SX was a disaster from the 1st gate drop. Both 1st motos of the night was nothing but carnage on the first lap. Why....can anyone whether it be AMA, FIM or RC....can anyone explain why they changed the whoop section after all practice and after all qualifying??? Need proof they changed it....watch the 3rd video here which is final qualifying. The whoops were like rollers. So after all practice and qualifying is done....they build 3’ high peaked whoops ?!?!?!? No-one knew, not one word of the change nor did any racer ever see them till their first lap of their race where they all dove off into them as they had in all 3 practice rounds and 3 qualifying rounds throughout the day. Why ?!?!? Now Nick is hurt and out for a broken hand & wrist, screws and plates ripped out of his hand and Extensive damage for what ?!?!? Someone should be hung for such incompetence and pure disrespect for the riders !!! These young athletes train their asses off, tap every source of financial, mechanical, professional and even medical support they can find, have families and friends working with them, helping them, and everyone including their families make huge sacrifices for their riders....and yet AMA and the FIM think its a freak show and circus !!! WTF ?!?!? Everyone involved with the running of that disaster last night is to blame !!! "

Link to "3rd" video he referances https://www.facebook.com/don.delaney.5/videos/pcb.3345069292189496/3345…
Hank_Thrill
3/9/2020 2:02pm
That was such a gnarly wreck. I was fearing spinal damage since he drove into those whoops as hard as RC in 2006 at St. Louis. Then seeing Sexton clip his helmet making his goggle fly off. Glad it was nothing worse.
DPR250R
3/9/2020 3:30pm
avidchimp wrote:
Not before the heats.
Was wondering the same... heading to the shed for my pitch fork.
cwel11
3/9/2020 4:07pm
Whoever made the call to change them that much from practice deserves a smack to the back of the head. I always assumed the riders got a site lap but I generally don’t stare at the tv when they go to commercial. That shouldn’t happen. Someone should explain themselves
3/9/2020 4:08pm
GuyB wrote:
They don’t generally get to ride the whoops on Friday.
I already know that. I meant how were they built/looked while they were sitting there untouched on Friday? were they originally peaked sx whoops or nah.

Because if the track builders randomly threw in a set of peaked whoops as a surprise before the night show that’s effed up, but if they were originally big, wore down, and built back up again for the night that is more understandable
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
3/9/2020 4:15pm
I already know that. I meant how were they built/looked while they were sitting there untouched on Friday? were they originally peaked sx whoops or nah...
I already know that. I meant how were they built/looked while they were sitting there untouched on Friday? were they originally peaked sx whoops or nah.

Because if the track builders randomly threw in a set of peaked whoops as a surprise before the night show that’s effed up, but if they were originally big, wore down, and built back up again for the night that is more understandable
I didn’t look at them on Friday. As far as I know, The Bomber built the track, and he knows his stuff.
3/9/2020 4:49pm Edited Date/Time 3/9/2020 4:51pm
GuyB wrote:
I didn’t look at them on Friday. As far as I know, The Bomber built the track, and he knows his stuff.
Friday is irrelevant. The riders got more than enough feel for what to expect of the track on Saturday by riding free practice, qualifying session 1 and qualifying session 2. The track crew obviously worked the track before second qualifying session (per usual) but especially judging by some of the favorable times put in by some of the 250 Group C riders who made the night show as a result.

I think the question most people have is, how could any knowledgeable track builder justify what was obviously such an extreme change to the whoops.

I'm not saying Mark Barnett doesn't know how to build a track.. but I don't recall ever seeing Dirt Wurx make drastic whoop changes before the night show that were gnarly enough to:

1) Cause The Goat to make a huck-a-buck ass of himself in opening ceremonies just blitzing the whoops like normal
2) Make the 250 heats to look like the beaches of Normandy
3) Carnage so bad that they tone it down before the 450 heats
FIREfish148
3/9/2020 6:45pm
If I wanted to booby trap a track for a rookie that’s exactly what I would do. Not a good look by whoever made the call to build those up.
AngryBear
3/9/2020 8:03pm
it was mentioned before, i will mention it again as someone there / saw opening ceremonies.

RC about ate it / went off the track whilst cruising through the whoops on his track preview lap...
TXDirt
3/9/2020 9:07pm
Personally, I throughly it was great. Obviously It sucks to see anyone get injured.

These are the best racers in the world. They should have used better judgment coming into those whoops for the first time. Everyone knows small changes and clean up is done between qualifying and night time racing.

I don’t really get what the big deal is. Some guys crashed in a tricky section.

Once they smoothed them over it went from an exciting difference maker into just another ho-hum set of whoops.

I would prefer they get a sight lap rather then knocking them down into nothing.
jeffro503
3/9/2020 9:21pm
Man , those first two 250 heats were complete and utter carnage in the whoops. It looked like a good 1/3 of the field went down on the first lap , in both those races. I'm all for knarly tracks , but I'm glad they went out and smoothed those whoops out a bit. Sometimes , certain sections just don't mix well with the speed that the riders can carry through those specific sections , and this one just didn't work out. Bummer to hear Nick broke his hand , but it looked to be much worse than that. Chase nailed the hell out of him!
Johnny Depp
3/9/2020 9:39pm
Big mistake by the track crew. Added a shark pit and didn't tell anyone.
yz133rider
3/9/2020 10:35pm
Thats complete bull shit if they really made massive changes before the heat races like is being said. Kid could have gotten killed. All involved need to do better. Its dangerous enough without doing dumb shit like that.
3/10/2020 12:22am
Why don’t they keep the killer whoops and start with the 450 heats first. The 450 guys should be expected to handle them (just as Chad, James, Ricky and RV used to power through them). It’s irritating, because there are two different levels of riders/bikes racing the track and the whoops are always toughest when they are fresh. After the first couple heats they start to breakdown and can be done just as quickly or quicker by jumping through them, rather than having to nut up and blitz them like the guys noted above used too. Then again, i used to enjoy hearing a 2 stroke as someone like Windham or Reed hammered through them perfectly.
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
3/10/2020 12:54am
Bnagazina wrote:
Why don’t they keep the killer whoops and start with the 450 heats first. The 450 guys should be expected to handle them (just as Chad...
Why don’t they keep the killer whoops and start with the 450 heats first. The 450 guys should be expected to handle them (just as Chad, James, Ricky and RV used to power through them). It’s irritating, because there are two different levels of riders/bikes racing the track and the whoops are always toughest when they are fresh. After the first couple heats they start to breakdown and can be done just as quickly or quicker by jumping through them, rather than having to nut up and blitz them like the guys noted above used too. Then again, i used to enjoy hearing a 2 stroke as someone like Windham or Reed hammered through them perfectly.
if they are totally different from the 3 practice sessions they had in the arvo, then the 450's are likely to have just as much trouble,

Post a reply to: Daytona Yard Sale

The Latest