Did anyone in the moto media ask Tomac what was wrong at Spring Creek?

kpiper
Maybe I missed it but I didn't see anything.

Would be interesting to know what was up.

When was the last time he had two motos like that on the same day?
|
hamncheeze
9/24/2020 12:10pm Edited Date/Time 9/24/2020 12:11pm
Do you think anyone in the media actually had access to Tomac? From all reports Kawasaki is pretty militant with their COVID restrictions and will not let anyone too close. The guy is already reclusive, now he can be completely unreachable on race day. Doubt he's answering texts from Matthes, GuyB, Donn, Anton, etc either.
280driver
9/24/2020 12:17pm
Yes, he said his the track condition/style and competitive field made it harder to offset his poor starts.
9/24/2020 12:18pm
Doubt it.
They rarely ask pertinent questions any more for fear of being blackballed.

But it’s ok, we always find out that their Dunlop’s hooked up great off the start and they’ve never felt better with the bike after working a few things out..🙄
280driver
9/24/2020 12:19pm
280driver wrote:
Yes, he said his the track condition/style and competitive field made it harder to offset his poor starts.
Eli Tomac | 6-5 for 5th overall in 450 Class
“A fifth overall should feel good, but it’s definitely not where we want to be and not where we need to be if we want to be in this title fight. I felt good today but didn’t get the starts I needed to run up front and on this track, you really need to be out front early. The team and I will just keep grinding and work to improve on this for the remaining rounds. Overall, it was a consistent weekend of riding and we’ll look forward to Florida next weekend.”

The Shop

9/24/2020 4:52pm
The moto media very rarely ask any hard hitting questions aimed directly at the riders. Just the same handful of questions rephrased. Matthes is the only one willing to make lose a few friends.
aeffertz
9/24/2020 5:01pm Edited Date/Time 9/24/2020 5:02pm
The moto media very rarely ask any hard hitting questions aimed directly at the riders. Just the same handful of questions rephrased. Matthes is the only...
The moto media very rarely ask any hard hitting questions aimed directly at the riders. Just the same handful of questions rephrased. Matthes is the only one willing to make lose a few friends.
Daniel Blair interviewed AC moments after he threw away his last shot at a 250 SX title at the final round. Can’t think of a more hard to do interview for either parties than that. Man that one was a gut punch...

There’s not always going to be a tough question to ask every weekend for every rider.
Forty
9/24/2020 5:07pm
Tomac = over this year after SX
9/24/2020 5:46pm
The moto media very rarely ask any hard hitting questions aimed directly at the riders. Just the same handful of questions rephrased. Matthes is the only...
aeffertz wrote:
Daniel Blair interviewed AC moments after he threw away his last shot at a 250 SX title at the final round. Can’t think of a more...
Daniel Blair interviewed AC moments after he threw away his last shot at a 250 SX title at the final round. Can’t think of a more hard to do interview for either parties than that. Man that one was a gut punch...

There’s not always going to be a tough question to ask every weekend for every rider.
Touche. Blair is one of the good ones but this is also what's expected of any sports reporter. I'm referring more so to the actual journalists/media members asking the post-race questions. Not saying it's easy, just seems like generally speaking, it's more of the same after every race. Even GL was able to come up with 3 keys to the race and not use "get the start" as one of them every time. That's a win in my book.
Anton_514
9/24/2020 6:17pm Edited Date/Time 9/24/2020 6:19pm
He was back and forth between his motorhome and the team rig a few times after Spring Creek while I waited for AC. We talked after RedBud Two, he was upfront and stated that he’s not getting starts and isn’t running a pace that’s faster than anyone else.

Everyone acts like Eli doesn’t have anything to say or is reclusive, and while that second part is true, he’s willing to be open when asked. He straight up said that he doesn’t have the speed right now. What else do you expect him to say? He’s not going to tell everyone his personal life since he isn’t winning motos.

Kawasaki has made it clear that SX is the number one focus time and time again, he’s accomplished that for them and himself (plus everything else going on), so it’s fair to be a little backed down this summer. And they have AC delivering. So all is good over there.

Expecting an “always race to win” mentality, I get it, but if he has to ride balls to the wall and risk a big crash or injury to win, is it worth it? Especially if it takes away from an offseason of prep that’ll be necessary for the SX title defense, when there is another guy already doing the job?

22:15

https://youtu.be/odUAQ0VC-ZQ
kpiper
9/24/2020 8:50pm
Anton_514 wrote:
He was back and forth between his motorhome and the team rig a few times after Spring Creek while I waited for AC. We talked after...
He was back and forth between his motorhome and the team rig a few times after Spring Creek while I waited for AC. We talked after RedBud Two, he was upfront and stated that he’s not getting starts and isn’t running a pace that’s faster than anyone else.

Everyone acts like Eli doesn’t have anything to say or is reclusive, and while that second part is true, he’s willing to be open when asked. He straight up said that he doesn’t have the speed right now. What else do you expect him to say? He’s not going to tell everyone his personal life since he isn’t winning motos.

Kawasaki has made it clear that SX is the number one focus time and time again, he’s accomplished that for them and himself (plus everything else going on), so it’s fair to be a little backed down this summer. And they have AC delivering. So all is good over there.

Expecting an “always race to win” mentality, I get it, but if he has to ride balls to the wall and risk a big crash or injury to win, is it worth it? Especially if it takes away from an offseason of prep that’ll be necessary for the SX title defense, when there is another guy already doing the job?

22:15

https://youtu.be/odUAQ0VC-ZQ
Thanks
kpiper
9/24/2020 8:50pm
280driver wrote:
Eli Tomac | 6-5 for 5th overall in 450 Class “A fifth overall should feel good, but it’s definitely not where we want to be and...
Eli Tomac | 6-5 for 5th overall in 450 Class
“A fifth overall should feel good, but it’s definitely not where we want to be and not where we need to be if we want to be in this title fight. I felt good today but didn’t get the starts I needed to run up front and on this track, you really need to be out front early. The team and I will just keep grinding and work to improve on this for the remaining rounds. Overall, it was a consistent weekend of riding and we’ll look forward to Florida next weekend.”
Who did he say this to? I missed it.
9/25/2020 7:51am
I still don't think he's worried about the title this year. Probably looking at Kenny's decision to sit it out and wondering how he could've done the same.
gt80rider
9/25/2020 8:00am
Forty wrote:
Tomac = over this year after SX
I see it more as- "I am tired of these bike issues, I got my SX title, see ya in 21' to crush all your asses"....

Dude has bike issues nearly every single moto... how hard are you gonna push if you constantly see your bike smoking/other issues???
NorCal1975
9/25/2020 8:46am
Yes, he just kind of circulated in 5th to 6th each moto. Was basically running Christian Craigs pace both motos for the entire 30 + 2. Kind of weird to see. He also looked tentative about passing Barcia as well. Had some chances but never really pulled the trigger. It was definitely a strange day for him
Anton_514
9/28/2020 1:02pm
Discussed the season more with Eli. Apologies for the air hose, that's the preferred tool at that time of day.

15:55

Post a reply to: Did anyone in the moto media ask Tomac what was wrong at Spring Creek?

The Latest