Can MX racers enjoy single track?

The Rock
10/6/2013 5:31pm Edited Date/Time 10/9/2013 3:46pm
I just saw the ad for "Ride single track in Costa Rico" and immediately had the thought "No thank you." I rode some single track stuff back at the end of June and while it felt good to be back on a motorcycle after 30 months the rest of the experience was WAY too much work.

Three months later I go to ride on a MX track last week and I enjoyed it so much more. To be clear I'm not dissing single track and actually hold those guys in much higher esteem now than I ever did before. I used to see guys without number plates and think ah they are just play riders. Now I see an off road guy though a different pair of goggles.

Any of you MX guys get to ride single track and what did you think?
|
JB 19
10/6/2013 5:46pm
I've been riding it off and on my whole life. I think it develops technical skills that can't be learned in motocross. I think you can see some of it in Aaron Plessingers riding. He seems to excel in the gnarly conditions.
nytsmaC
10/6/2013 5:46pm
There's some of the best single track riding in the world out right here at my doorstep and I only go to the track. Some guys love it, but I'd rather MX any day. It's nice once in a while just to change things up, but otherwise, I'll pass. I used to do it more when I was younger and we'd make weekend camping trips out of it.
Outsider
10/6/2013 5:51pm
Freakin love it! When I lived in the Reno/Sparks area I rode with a guy that helped out at a National Enduro they had up there... he showed me the most bitchen, pristine single track! After a light snow the dirt was heaven... how can any true moto head not appreciate that!
ridge
10/6/2013 5:51pm
I enjoy a good single track day over a track day at this point in my life. It really helps to have the right bike...

The Shop

ridge
10/6/2013 5:53pm
Outsider wrote:
Freakin love it! When I lived in the Reno/Sparks area I rode with a guy that helped out at a National Enduro they had up there...
Freakin love it! When I lived in the Reno/Sparks area I rode with a guy that helped out at a National Enduro they had up there... he showed me the most bitchen, pristine single track! After a light snow the dirt was heaven... how can any true moto head not appreciate that!
Let's go man! I have some great stuff up here in Apple Valley. I'm sort of waiting for the rains to come.
yz414
10/6/2013 5:56pm
just got home from 4 hours of single track and its a blast, i love moto but getting into a flow in the bush and having trees skim your bar ends is one hell of a rush
Outsider
10/6/2013 5:58pm
Outsider wrote:
Freakin love it! When I lived in the Reno/Sparks area I rode with a guy that helped out at a National Enduro they had up there...
ridge wrote:
Let's go man! I have some great stuff up here in Apple Valley. I'm sort of waiting for the rains to come.
Love to man... no insurance right now but soon!
ASH510
10/6/2013 5:59pm
i like it all if its on 2 wheels i will ride it
BAMX
10/6/2013 6:01pm
I love single track. Qualifier or restart Enduros are awesome. They are essentially a bunch of single track moto races with nice cool down trail rides in between.
yz414
10/6/2013 6:05pm
just got home from 4 hours of single track and its a blast, i love moto but getting into a flow in the bush and having trees skim your bar ends is one hell of a rush
Hut
10/6/2013 6:05pm Edited Date/Time 10/6/2013 6:05pm
I love to ride both and pretty much equally. always have Cool
Titan1
10/6/2013 6:25pm
I was die hard moto only, until a buddy talked me into riding some single track...I haven't been on a moto'd since.

That transitioned into off-road racing and I haven't missed moto even a little bit.

There is NOTHING like pushing it down a trail and not know what is around the corner...looking back, I'm honestly not sure what I found so appealing about riding in circles on a moto track.
coastie44
10/6/2013 6:28pm
Single track - yuk. No thanks. I live close to some good stuff but it just doesn't do anything for me except wish I was at the track!
ridge
10/6/2013 6:36pm
Titan1 wrote:
I was die hard moto only, until a buddy talked me into riding some single track...I haven't been on a moto'd since. That transitioned into off-road...
I was die hard moto only, until a buddy talked me into riding some single track...I haven't been on a moto'd since.

That transitioned into off-road racing and I haven't missed moto even a little bit.

There is NOTHING like pushing it down a trail and not know what is around the corner...looking back, I'm honestly not sure what I found so appealing about riding in circles on a moto track.
You've got some great trails there...I might have to bring a bike on my next trip there.
josh8811
10/6/2013 6:40pm Edited Date/Time 10/6/2013 7:33pm
I practice track only to help me in the single track and offroad racing. Track is too repetitive and boring.. When the conditions are really good, first thing in the morning, you sometimes will find me at the track riding 2 1hr motos.. Most track guys lack the grit to complete a 100+ mile national hare and hound.
Titan1
10/6/2013 6:51pm
josh8811 wrote:
I practice track only to help me in the single track and offroad racing. Track is too repetitive and boring.. When the conditions are really good...
I practice track only to help me in the single track and offroad racing. Track is too repetitive and boring.. When the conditions are really good, first thing in the morning, you sometimes will find me at the track riding 2 1hr motos.. Most track guys lack the grit to complete a 100+ mile national hare and hound.
I was just talking about this with my brother, he and I both feel we've lost some aggression since we stopped racing moto and were thinking we need to at least practice on a moto track.

And I love when moto guys come out for their first hare and hound...lol...after the race the look of new found respect on their faces is priceless. And I laugh all the more because I was one of them once...and I distinctly remember thinking to myself on the line that I was probably going to overall the race.....at mile marker 60 or so (with about 50 more to go) my attitude changed as dudes were passing me like I was tanking still....and I had totally bonked and could barely even keep my arms on the handlebars. Lol
Grizz
10/6/2013 7:00pm
I ride everything. Sometimes I just climb on top of shit to see if I can do it. I hate the brush touching my arms though...
hammertime
10/6/2013 7:06pm
nytsmaC wrote:
There's some of the best single track riding in the world out right here at my doorstep and I only go to the track. Some guys...
There's some of the best single track riding in the world out right here at my doorstep and I only go to the track. Some guys love it, but I'd rather MX any day. It's nice once in a while just to change things up, but otherwise, I'll pass. I used to do it more when I was younger and we'd make weekend camping trips out of it.
Are you in Kamloops by chance? Killer single there! Best I ever rode. For me, even when I was a pro racer I rode as much of it as I could. So fun!
10/6/2013 7:19pm
I have been hard core moto my whole life until I moved to Bend,Or. I still love the track(and go whenever I can) it's where my heart is but I have to say there is nothing like some yummy wet cascade mountain single track. Like Ridge says, you have to be on the right machine. I love riding it on a 250f they are the perfect weapon for single track, I also like doing it on a 125 two stroke but it's much easier to rail on the 250f and you can make it 60+ miles on a stock 250f tank, 125's I am lucky to get 30 miles on a stock tank. We have some really sweet hidden (not on any maps) trails up here. We get spring and fall and the rest of the year is dust but when it rains here, it's like a powder day for single trackers!! The phone starts blowing up and we go Smile The right single track is tight technical and you absolutely rail the corners. I think it's a great way to get seat time and it helps keep my moto skills sharp. Is it safer? Don't kid yourself, we were out on Monday night after the rains here in Central Oregon. We were freight training through the woods and a chunk of log got tossed onto the trail in front of my buddy(by the guy in front of him) , he hit it on his Kx450 tapped in 3rd gear, over the bars into some rocks landed in a manzanita bush upside down about 40 feet from his bike. The injury list: 3 broken ribs,broken clavicle,bruised spleen and a partially collapsed lung. Going fast in the woods is fun, really fun but it is just as dangerous as a technical mot track. I know a lot of moto guys that won't even try it and I say you are missing out on another aspect of motorcycle riding that is fun and just as dangerous Smile
Dudley
10/6/2013 10:18pm
I enjoy single track trails, but some of them have scared the crap out of me. I feel much safer on a motocross track! One of these days, I want to get a second bike that is set up for trails. I feel my 450 requires too much effort on trails.
mynewcr250
10/6/2013 10:48pm Edited Date/Time 10/6/2013 10:49pm
every time i get suckered into riding trails, the whole time im thinking about how id much rather be at the track. its better than not riding, but if given a choice ill take the track everytime
motomike137
10/7/2013 4:10am
I am constantly amazed at how many of the guys I race with here in MI (d14) have never ridden on our trail system. I love moto as much as anyone but we have a fabulous network of trails in the Northern Lower penisula and the Upper. We have our fair share of true single track but we have miles and miles of wider trails also. It is something I always try to do at least a couple times a year. In fact I rode in MIO MI a week ago where it is predominately sandy and it rained the night before.. it was awesome riding! We usually turn it into a weekend thing staying at someones cabin with some good eats and some adult beverages along with a lot of good bullshit sessions.So yeah, I think any moto head can enjoy hitiing the trails.
motomike137
10/7/2013 9:17am
peelout wrote:
it seems to be all i do anymore, although i am racing some moto for the first time in 2 years this weekend ps... [url=http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/GoPro-pics-video-Offseason-Offroad,1259471]http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/GoPro-pics-video-Offseason-Offroad,1259471[/url]
it seems to be all i do anymore, although i am racing some moto for the first time in 2 years this weekend

ps...

http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/GoPro-pics-video-Offseason-Offroad,1259471
Awesome stuff Peelout! We definitely don't have those kind of views here in the mitten.
peelout
10/7/2013 9:23am
peelout wrote:
it seems to be all i do anymore, although i am racing some moto for the first time in 2 years this weekend ps... [url=http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/GoPro-pics-video-Offseason-Offroad,1259471]http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/GoPro-pics-video-Offseason-Offroad,1259471[/url]
it seems to be all i do anymore, although i am racing some moto for the first time in 2 years this weekend

ps...

http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/GoPro-pics-video-Offseason-Offroad,1259471
Awesome stuff Peelout! We definitely don't have those kind of views here in the mitten.
thanks man! i'm uploading some more video today, but here's some views from my last ride

mxdude105
10/7/2013 10:09am
ASH510 wrote:
i like it all if its on 2 wheels i will ride it
Yupp. Singletrack is fun, I've been doing alot of MTB lately since our go-to moto track has been shut down, also a blast.
JM485
10/7/2013 10:14am
I pretty much grew up on single track and have ridden it my whole life. Just a few years ago, I got into track riding in the summer time and it has improved all aspects of my riding way faster then I ever though it would. While tracks are fun, nothing beats tearing it up on some trails in the hills or even in the mountains. The things you see and the people you meet are things you just can't experience by only riding moto. It's a lot harder than people think. I raced a hair scramble earlier this year and I was absolutely destroyed after the 90 min. race.
FlaNard
10/7/2013 11:14am
Tons of it here in Utah (haven't read the thread through yet but I'm assuming Utah peeps are already posting about single track) and I did plenty of it growing up. It was never all that fun to me. Yeah I had to pay attention, but it never really did anything for me. That said I have a couple family members who loved it back in the day and could easily hand me my ass when we went. Its like hill climbing or desert scrambles. I can appreciate people who love it and are really good at it, not denying the skill involved, but it has always been like paint drying to me.
bvm111
10/7/2013 11:29am
Outsider wrote:
Dude can you point me in the right direction to those single track areas? I live down in south reno and just picked up a new 2006 KX 250 and am pretty disappointed in my MX options and would love to know where to ride other than out at moon rocks!

Post a reply to: Can MX racers enjoy single track?

The Latest