Do you get days when you've had enough of riding?

philG
5/31/2017 2:01pm
The thing about spending time with non-racing friends... is NO RACING.

I took a break through injury , in the early 90's , did the things 'normal ' folk did, holidays, parties, sunday lunch in the pub... jesus H christ i was bored shitless.

I love being round folk that know what a gatedrop is like, they have an understanding of what makes people real people..

I dont ride over winter, because thats time to recharge finances and live a normal life, kind of, and then when the race season comes round , i want it. Im not pissed off with bike prep and cleaning kit before i even get behind the gate.
5/31/2017 3:14pm
Is it the financial side that's pissed you off into thinking it will happen again and that's the real reason you feel like giving it all up?
dirtnapper
5/31/2017 3:20pm
JW381 wrote:
We all get burnt out. Take a break and go do something else. For me? I golf. Most of the time I do both, but sometimes...
We all get burnt out. Take a break and go do something else. For me? I golf. Most of the time I do both, but sometimes I focus heavily on one over the other.
JW is on to something here. Do something else.
Me, I am truly passionate about fishing. I actually own a small cabin rental company for ice fishing which keeps me really busy in the winter months. But if I'm not riding I am usually fishing!

If your getting burnt out on riding - go do something else. But DON'T sell your bike amd gear until you have taken some time off and really know you are done with it.

I honestly believe that riding / moto gets in your blood and you can walk away for a time but you never leave it forever.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4000th
5/31/2017 3:24pm
As the title says really. I've been thinking about quitting for a few weeks now, I've got no motivation to go riding or even enjoying it...
As the title says really. I've been thinking about quitting for a few weeks now, I've got no motivation to go riding or even enjoying it when I do.

It basically started when my 125 threw a rod & smashed everything, cases, crank (obviously), cylinder, piston, reed block, clutch basket & the gear that Yamaha don't sell separately. It was totally screwed. It was a total nightmare getting the parts (too long a story to write it all down here). Anyway the bike takes 5 1/2 weeks from going bang to running again. Cost approximately £1400 to fix. Now it's up & running, I'm like I can't be bothered with this. I go riding & I'm finding it boring. I think it doesn't help that there are no decent tracks where I live.

As anyone else felt like this when their bike has shat itself??
Happened to me in 85. Had 2 brand new 125s and 2 gear bags full of stuff sitting in the garage ready to go. Loaded up one day, got there rode a lap went home parked the bike and didn't ride again until 92.

The Shop

Gilby122
5/31/2017 3:30pm
Funny I saw this today. I'm there now. Took a good digger three weeks ago at our last race. Nothing broke, but still something going on with my shoulder. We have a two dayer this weekend and I'm not sure I can do it cause of my shoulder. I'm OCD enough that this kills me cause it obviously puts me out of the points for the summer, which ruins the 'fun' for me. My wife always asks why I can't just go out and ride for fun. Cause for some reason, that's not fun!! I hate the stress racing brings, but at the same time, that's why I love it. Racing isn't something just anyone can do. But I sit here feeling guilty for not being too excited about wanting to ride right now and I'm feeling guilty about feeling guilty!!
Radical
Fantasy
2321st
5/31/2017 3:38pm
I don't get to ride often or consistent enough to get burnt out. When I can't ride MX, I mountain bike, often on the same exact trails.
It does it for me every time.

If I was able to ride 3 days a week, maybe after a while.

If it involves dirt and knobbies, I'm in!

erik_94COBRA
5/31/2017 4:00pm
Some days, but not often. When I try too hard to get out to the track, but normal life gets in the way, it usually isn't as enjoyable. Also, spending a whole damn day at the track for one practice and four 10 minute motos (i.e. race days) isn't as enjoyable.

As others have said, take a break but don't sell all of your stuff.
Taylor415
5/31/2017 4:00pm
I took a couple years off, always rode mtb but as racing got serious went to a road bike to train more, and that was that, gave up mtb racing and just did road. You don't have to ride, don't force it that'll only make it worse. Things break and wear out. I wouldn't let that be my reason for not riding.
Taotech
5/31/2017 4:04pm
At 49 years young balance is the key for me. I only ride tracks I love and only when the soil is perfect. I also have to love the bike I ride YZ250F with big bore kit and dialed suspension. Ride once a month or less and train between rides so I am fresh and strong when I ride.
JW381
5/31/2017 4:18pm
JW381 wrote:
We all get burnt out. Take a break and go do something else. For me? I golf. Most of the time I do both, but sometimes...
We all get burnt out. Take a break and go do something else. For me? I golf. Most of the time I do both, but sometimes I focus heavily on one over the other.
dirtnapper wrote:
JW is on to something here. Do something else. Me, I am truly passionate about fishing. I actually own a small cabin rental company for ice...
JW is on to something here. Do something else.
Me, I am truly passionate about fishing. I actually own a small cabin rental company for ice fishing which keeps me really busy in the winter months. But if I'm not riding I am usually fishing!

If your getting burnt out on riding - go do something else. But DON'T sell your bike amd gear until you have taken some time off and really know you are done with it.

I honestly believe that riding / moto gets in your blood and you can walk away for a time but you never leave it forever.
Yup, balance is key, but don't quit!
Deja New
5/31/2017 4:46pm
Feel your pain there I gave up for 23 years until I needed to get back on the bike. I think once motocross is in your blood it never ever really goes away.
pmshortt2
5/31/2017 6:07pm
Ride dirtbikes from Spring To the end of Fall then snow ski as much as I can until it warms back up and back to MX Cool
Markee
Fantasy
2006th
5/31/2017 6:15pm
I haven't read nothing after the first post. But the answer is no. I'm never promised tomorrow and my riding time is limited because I work a lot of weekends. If I could ride once a week, I would consider myself privileged.

Have come to enjoy training and preparation to make the most of my ride days. Peace.
mx621
5/31/2017 6:17pm
I haven't ridden since feb. I built a Acura integra this winter to do road course track days ( cheap to operate and keep running, 2 stroke of track cars) and I've been loving it. My friends have gone riding when I'm at the road course. It's a whole new learning experience to drive a car fast on a race track. I'm just now starting to get the itch to ride again. And I only want to ride my 125. No real desire to ride the 450.

I think at some point we all go through it. Take a step back and get into something else for a bit. Still love moto more than anything else.
BobPA
5/31/2017 6:18pm
JW381 wrote:
I focused heavily on golf for the last month and I have gotten worse and worse. Time to take a week or so off from the links....Or I will be buying all new clubs, if you catch my drift....
Monk
5/31/2017 6:26pm
Biggest thing that helped me overcome 'burn-out' has been reseting my goals... I got bored of racing our offroad series, so I went south across the border into Washington and competed there over a few years... Different faces and different places renewed any lost interest. I started do races I've never done before such as the Gallardo 500 in which I Ironman'ed it...You can reevaluate a lot of things when you are racing for 8.5hrs straight... Adding to that, I regularly switch bikes, riding partners, and training/practice routines... Keeps things fresh and makes me overall a better rider...
Markee
Fantasy
2006th
5/31/2017 6:36pm
mx621 wrote:
I haven't ridden since feb. I built a Acura integra this winter to do road course track days ( cheap to operate and keep running, 2...
I haven't ridden since feb. I built a Acura integra this winter to do road course track days ( cheap to operate and keep running, 2 stroke of track cars) and I've been loving it. My friends have gone riding when I'm at the road course. It's a whole new learning experience to drive a car fast on a race track. I'm just now starting to get the itch to ride again. And I only want to ride my 125. No real desire to ride the 450.

I think at some point we all go through it. Take a step back and get into something else for a bit. Still love moto more than anything else.
Yeah you probably built that car because speedciti turned in the speedshiti
StretchASU
5/31/2017 6:43pm
I have hobby A.D.D. so I get it. Ive built a few rock crawlers, a M3 track car and sold them all within 2 years. Been at this 3 years, this is my second year racing our local Hare Scramble series' and some GNCC's and don't really see it going anywhere. Any time I have a bike issue I just kind of laugh it off. This hobby is damn cheap compared to rock crawling and racing sports cars. Plus it keeps me motivated to stay in shape. Luckily in NC we can ride almost year round. Although from Sept-Jan I do spend less time practicing and more time in the tree stand when not racing.
mx621
5/31/2017 6:49pm
Markee wrote:
Yeah you probably built that car because speedciti turned in the speedshiti
Haha, didn't help. I've herd speed citi ( whatever it's called now) is terrible. Rock hard and they let quads on all days. Since blue diamond closed two years ago ( 15 min from my house ) njmp FOD has been the place I ride 85% of the time. I've herd the landing in Easton MD has been decent I plan on checking that out soon.
AZRider
5/31/2017 6:57pm
havent ridden much since my new 350 was stolen last summer and a surgery the next month, but itching to get back on my new steed. At 26 years old, I started running number 59 on my bikes. Decided at 59 years old I would reevaluate if I should be doing this. Im 44 now and dont see the urge going away. 40 yrs of riding and every break from riding has been difficult.
potatoflake
6/5/2017 3:37pm
It's one of those days today

2012 kx250f
64.6 hours
potatoflake
6/5/2017 3:38pm Edited Date/Time 6/5/2017 3:42pm

Going to need cases and a crank at the very least totaling close to one months income m
I'll be taking a break to say the least but I'll be back with a 250 2 stroke lol
plowboy
6/5/2017 4:06pm
I've never gotten fed up or bored with riding but my bank account has called it quits a few times. I raced harescrambles for quite a few years and had to travel to the races. 500 bucks a weekend was pretty common. Bike maintenance, fuel, motels, entry/gate fees, food...it adds up. Practicing 4 days a week isn't cheap either. The cost doesn't cause boredom but does shift priorities. As you've said, there isn't a lot of close by riding to be had. Cost and convenience have you confusing these issues with boredom. If you had a new bike and a track in your back garden....you'd be burning laps til you puked. As others have said, ride when you can with some good friends...balance.
Forty
6/5/2017 5:34pm
As the title says really. I've been thinking about quitting for a few weeks now, I've got no motivation to go riding or even enjoying it...
As the title says really. I've been thinking about quitting for a few weeks now, I've got no motivation to go riding or even enjoying it when I do.

It basically started when my 125 threw a rod & smashed everything, cases, crank (obviously), cylinder, piston, reed block, clutch basket & the gear that Yamaha don't sell separately. It was totally screwed. It was a total nightmare getting the parts (too long a story to write it all down here). Anyway the bike takes 5 1/2 weeks from going bang to running again. Cost approximately £1400 to fix. Now it's up & running, I'm like I can't be bothered with this. I go riding & I'm finding it boring. I think it doesn't help that there are no decent tracks where I live.

As anyone else felt like this when their bike has shat itself??
UpTiTe wrote:
Happened to me in 85. Had 2 brand new 125s and 2 gear bags full of stuff sitting in the garage ready to go. Loaded up...
Happened to me in 85. Had 2 brand new 125s and 2 gear bags full of stuff sitting in the garage ready to go. Loaded up one day, got there rode a lap went home parked the bike and didn't ride again until 92.
Dude. You shoulda called.
Ryguy125
6/5/2017 5:52pm
I had enough riding when I had noone to go with. Put the bike away for a while, then picked up golf. I was a scratch golfer for awhile until i made some new friends who rode. Couple months later and a Husky TE300 and I'm hooked. Time off is definately what I needed. Can't see myself ever putting the Husky away
Forty
6/5/2017 5:57pm
I usually lose interest right after the bone breaks.

Lately I've been digging MTB so the 450 is kinda lonely.
Thelen20
6/5/2017 6:21pm
TripleFive wrote:
Haven't found this to be the case caused by a mechanical, but have certainly experienced "burn out" before. Take a month or so off. Maybe pick...
Haven't found this to be the case caused by a mechanical, but have certainly experienced "burn out" before.

Take a month or so off. Maybe pick up a new/cheaper hobby like yoga for a while.

Come back when you miss it. If you don't feel like riding, don't ride. This sport is far too dangerous to be putting your body in jeopardy if you're not loving what you're doing.
This! I have felt mx burnout before but a relatively short break brings the hunger right back! Sooooo many people quit, sell it all . . . Then come back! Motocross is one of those things that gets in your blood, and once it does I really doesn't ever leave completely! At least that's how it is for me
Thelen20
6/5/2017 6:22pm Edited Date/Time 6/5/2017 6:23pm
TripleFive wrote:
Haven't found this to be the case caused by a mechanical, but have certainly experienced "burn out" before. Take a month or so off. Maybe pick...
Haven't found this to be the case caused by a mechanical, but have certainly experienced "burn out" before.

Take a month or so off. Maybe pick up a new/cheaper hobby like yoga for a while.

Come back when you miss it. If you don't feel like riding, don't ride. This sport is far too dangerous to be putting your body in jeopardy if you're not loving what you're doing.
Oops, dang phone

Post a reply to: Do you get days when you've had enough of riding?

The Latest