Feld says don’t give pics away for free

hamncheeze
2/12/2019 5:24pm
Let’s walk this dog a little further. What happens if Austin Forkner reposts the photo, with credit, and tags Fox/Kawi/PC? Also: my avatar was taken by...
Let’s walk this dog a little further.

What happens if Austin Forkner reposts the photo, with credit, and tags Fox/Kawi/PC?

Also: my avatar was taken by J Reed. She’s baaaaad.
Probably if a rider like AF tags his sponsors and tags "Supercrosslive" then he's OK Unsure

I'm going to go slightly off track, but this thread speaks to Feld and how they seem so desperate to control anything "Supercross". Matthes has said multiple times that Feld feels like they own all the broadcast material, even though they clearly do not from years ago. All races from 2015 onwards still get pulled from YouTube routinely. Even older races still get pulled. If I am the head of motorsports at Feld, what is the big issue if someone uploads races from 2015 or 2016? For me as the head of Feld I should be looking at it like: "Hey if someone comes across this and really thinks it's enjoyable to watch, maybe they'll tune in every week live, or even attend a race".

I can see why Feld wants to control the live broadcasting, but being pissy about older races.....live footage is really only valuable when it's live or nearly live. After about 48 hours I think any value is completely lost.
yak651
Fantasy
192nd
2/12/2019 6:32pm
danman wrote:
Here's a good question. If said photographer is also sponsored by Fly, Dunlop, etc, then could they tag those companies????
early wrote:
If the photographer pays for a press pass they can probably do whatever they want.
I don't believe they pay for press passes.
Press pass users get in free, riders have to pay to be the entertainment and subject matter for the press! Nice racket!
2/15/2019 1:08am
early wrote:
If the photographer pays for a press pass they can probably do whatever they want.
I don't believe they pay for press passes.
yak651 wrote:
Press pass users get in free, riders have to pay to be the entertainment and subject matter for the press! Nice racket!
Not always true, and photographers aren't sponsored by anybody. We may get free stuff here and there, but sponsored? no.
2/15/2019 1:15am
I come and check out what’s going on here every 6 months or so, and this post caught my eye. I am amazed at all the different opinions from such a wide variety of guys, some are close and some are nowhere near the right answer. Let me see if I can help seeing how it is what I do every weekend. First off, FELD is not the bad guy here. They aren’t making any money off the credentialed media, in fact they pay to have their own photographer who shoots for Supercross Live and all their social media. Some of those shots may also be used for press releases and whatnot by private companies. They cannot use the shots for advertising or social media, which has become the most popular form of advertising. In regard as to why they limit the type of camera gear the public can bring in, it goes all the way back to the TFS days from what I understand. All FELD is trying to do is protect those who do travel the whole series so they can make enough viable dollars to survive. They have really cracked down on who gets credentialed as well. If you aren’t part of a respectable media outlet, you aren’t getting in. Everybody and their mother has or knows somebody who has a website that feels they deserve to get in. They don’t. I’m not sure about the tagging issue, I am under the belief you can tag whoever you want. There has been a guy or two that I know of that have been banned completely from shooting anything at the races, and it is deserved. He was sneaking around with a track crew pass, shooting away from everywhere. He then would send out the photos to every rider he could so he could get his name out there. He would also send them to companies who believe it or not, would use the photos at no charge. To some, photo credit is the greatest thing ever, but those guys usually live at home still, and have zero responsibility for anything. Photo credit won’t pay my air fare or feed my kids either. When you see a guy at every race, who isn’t making a dime shooting, and you know he hasn’t got a job, it’s not hard to figure out. For the most part, those of us in vests have contracts set up for the season, we don’t sell photos individually every weekend. Personally, by Sunday night I have processed, posted or emailed about 1200 -1400 photos for my clients. When some kid with some skill can send out a few photos right after the race for fun, that can be hard to compete with sometimes. Most of the big companies pay for their photos, word spreads very quickly about who doesn’t, and that can make finding good photos difficult for them on a weekly basis. Another difference is a good amateur can get some banging shots, but to do the job right, you need to be able to shoot at least 1000 shots that are crystal clear, have the right lighting, and the backgrounds have to have the right banners in them that aren’t competitive with any companies we shoot for. And for the record, I have no problem with guys shooting from the stands if it is their hobby and they want to show their buddies on Vital or wherever. That isn’t going to change what I do. But let’s say you are selling a product, and some kid gets the same product that his parents paid for, and he starts trying to sell to your accounts for half the price or better, that would not be cool. I would just like to offer this to anybody who wants to try and get into the business, work the local tracks and master your craft, but don’t show up at the stadium and give it all away. That will get you black balled so to speak forever. The industry is very small and everybody talks, it’s a lot like the gossip in high school sadly. Hell if I need to find something out quick, all I have to do is come here, and there is probably a post about it. 90% of what is said might be wrong, but usually somebody knows something legit. Oh about shooting video, it’s not a FELD thing either. It’s part of the TV contract they have and it makes sense. If you owned NBC would you want to see the race posted on YouTube sometimes before they show it? They have to be very careful with that. Every team has to get approved just to record their riders in practice. I hope that helps clear things up, and can take some of the hate off of FELD. They are good people, but they are also a business with a goal to make money, just like any other.

The Shop

motogrady
2/15/2019 4:52am

Thing is, the world keeps turning, and things keep changing.

Plenty of people lose their jobs and need to find another way to make a living.
Polaroid killed all the people that worked at Kodak.
Digital killed all the people that worked at Polaroid.
Automation killed who knows how many jobs in manufacturing.
Tree huggers killed how many jobs in coal.

And now phones are threatening pro photogs.

Welcome to the world.
CozMan
2/15/2019 2:03pm
I come and check out what’s going on here every 6 months or so, and this post caught my eye. I am amazed at all the...
I come and check out what’s going on here every 6 months or so, and this post caught my eye. I am amazed at all the different opinions from such a wide variety of guys, some are close and some are nowhere near the right answer. Let me see if I can help seeing how it is what I do every weekend. First off, FELD is not the bad guy here. They aren’t making any money off the credentialed media, in fact they pay to have their own photographer who shoots for Supercross Live and all their social media. Some of those shots may also be used for press releases and whatnot by private companies. They cannot use the shots for advertising or social media, which has become the most popular form of advertising. In regard as to why they limit the type of camera gear the public can bring in, it goes all the way back to the TFS days from what I understand. All FELD is trying to do is protect those who do travel the whole series so they can make enough viable dollars to survive. They have really cracked down on who gets credentialed as well. If you aren’t part of a respectable media outlet, you aren’t getting in. Everybody and their mother has or knows somebody who has a website that feels they deserve to get in. They don’t. I’m not sure about the tagging issue, I am under the belief you can tag whoever you want. There has been a guy or two that I know of that have been banned completely from shooting anything at the races, and it is deserved. He was sneaking around with a track crew pass, shooting away from everywhere. He then would send out the photos to every rider he could so he could get his name out there. He would also send them to companies who believe it or not, would use the photos at no charge. To some, photo credit is the greatest thing ever, but those guys usually live at home still, and have zero responsibility for anything. Photo credit won’t pay my air fare or feed my kids either. When you see a guy at every race, who isn’t making a dime shooting, and you know he hasn’t got a job, it’s not hard to figure out. For the most part, those of us in vests have contracts set up for the season, we don’t sell photos individually every weekend. Personally, by Sunday night I have processed, posted or emailed about 1200 -1400 photos for my clients. When some kid with some skill can send out a few photos right after the race for fun, that can be hard to compete with sometimes. Most of the big companies pay for their photos, word spreads very quickly about who doesn’t, and that can make finding good photos difficult for them on a weekly basis. Another difference is a good amateur can get some banging shots, but to do the job right, you need to be able to shoot at least 1000 shots that are crystal clear, have the right lighting, and the backgrounds have to have the right banners in them that aren’t competitive with any companies we shoot for. And for the record, I have no problem with guys shooting from the stands if it is their hobby and they want to show their buddies on Vital or wherever. That isn’t going to change what I do. But let’s say you are selling a product, and some kid gets the same product that his parents paid for, and he starts trying to sell to your accounts for half the price or better, that would not be cool. I would just like to offer this to anybody who wants to try and get into the business, work the local tracks and master your craft, but don’t show up at the stadium and give it all away. That will get you black balled so to speak forever. The industry is very small and everybody talks, it’s a lot like the gossip in high school sadly. Hell if I need to find something out quick, all I have to do is come here, and there is probably a post about it. 90% of what is said might be wrong, but usually somebody knows something legit. Oh about shooting video, it’s not a FELD thing either. It’s part of the TV contract they have and it makes sense. If you owned NBC would you want to see the race posted on YouTube sometimes before they show it? They have to be very careful with that. Every team has to get approved just to record their riders in practice. I hope that helps clear things up, and can take some of the hate off of FELD. They are good people, but they are also a business with a goal to make money, just like any other.
TLDR.

Post a reply to: Feld says don’t give pics away for free

The Latest