Dungey running hand-guards?

mx21
1/21/2013 7:08am Edited Date/Time 1/21/2013 4:40pm
Did anyone else wonder why Dungey was riding with hand-guards? Maybe hurt hand/fingers from last week?

He had that nasty heat crash last week, but I don't think he used them in the main.

-GuyB photo
|
jevyguy
1/21/2013 7:10am
Knew he wasnt going to run up front and wanted a little roost protection
E-man811
1/21/2013 7:38am
I personally don't see a reason to run without them. Once I started to ride with them, I can't imagine going back to bruised, broken and cut fingers from riding with 450's.
1/21/2013 7:44am
they said several times that there was lots of small rocks in the dirt
dirthead1
1/21/2013 9:14am
E-man811 wrote:
I personally don't see a reason to run without them. Once I started to ride with them, I can't imagine going back to bruised, broken and...
I personally don't see a reason to run without them. Once I started to ride with them, I can't imagine going back to bruised, broken and cut fingers from riding with 450's.
I had my hand smashed by an almost softball sized rock and will never ride without them again.

The Shop

TDeath21
1/21/2013 9:19am
I personally would always run hand guards and ride with a chest protector. These riders never do nowadays it seems like. Then they have a rock hit their hand and break it, or they complain about how the roost hurts your chest when it pelts you.
mx21
1/21/2013 9:22am
mototed 82 wrote:
they said several times that there was lots of small rocks in the dirt
I guess I missed that. Just odd if that's the case that no one else was running them. I'm all for using hand guards, I always used to use them and was grateful for them when following 450s, but one time I tipped over and somehow a part of the hand guard got between my grip and front brake lever. Didn't notice it until the end of the next 4th gear straight Pinch Now I run with out them...forces me to not follow. Wink
peelout
1/21/2013 9:29am
jevyguy wrote:
HAR!

dude needs to get a damn start
1/21/2013 9:30am
TDeath21 wrote:
I personally would always run hand guards and ride with a chest protector. These riders never do nowadays it seems like. Then they have a rock...
I personally would always run hand guards and ride with a chest protector. These riders never do nowadays it seems like. Then they have a rock hit their hand and break it, or they complain about how the roost hurts your chest when it pelts you.
yes it never fails to amaze me when at the nationals they comment on riders "putting on a chest guard" as for hand guards i think they lack the cool factor for pros , personally ive seen too many broken fingers not to run them , i also have a nasty habit of clipping inside posts in tight corners never noticed until i had none fitted Angry
jevyguy
1/21/2013 9:34am
jevyguy wrote:
peelout wrote:
HAR!

No kidding! Next week....
davistld01
1/21/2013 9:38am
jevyguy wrote:
peelout wrote:
HAR!

KTM's experimentation with the new air shock on Dungey's 450, his penchant for poor starts (the shock's fault?), and his total lack of agression coming through the pack compared to every other rider in the top-ten might keep Ryan Dungey from any chance at another championship. .

But, back on subject...I agree that the guards don't look pro-moto cool, but neither do smashed and broken fingers!
TriRacer27
Fantasy
42nd
1/21/2013 9:45am
jevyguy wrote:
peelout wrote:
HAR!

davistld01 wrote:
KTM's experimentation with the new air shock on Dungey's 450, his penchant for poor starts (the shock's fault?), and his total lack of agression coming through...
KTM's experimentation with the new air shock on Dungey's 450, his penchant for poor starts (the shock's fault?), and his total lack of agression coming through the pack compared to every other rider in the top-ten might keep Ryan Dungey from any chance at another championship. .

But, back on subject...I agree that the guards don't look pro-moto cool, but neither do smashed and broken fingers!
I agree.

I wish Dungey would go train with Tomac. Forget the airshock or anything else. If he could just get a little bit of Tomac's aggression to rub off it would do wonders for his results. He has the talent and the speed but my gosh it's frustrating to watch him race behind Albertson, Weimer, Short, etc for lap upon lap upon endless lap. Maybe it's a byproduct of his secretiveness and choosing to train on his own most of the time rather than with other riders that he has to pass? I don't know but it's hard cheering for him because I loose my voice screaming at the tv.
1/21/2013 9:50am
jevyguy wrote:
peelout wrote:
HAR!

davistld01 wrote:
KTM's experimentation with the new air shock on Dungey's 450, his penchant for poor starts (the shock's fault?), and his total lack of agression coming through...

Hahaha "Don't look pro-moto cool"?! what does that even mean?? they look fine, more advertising for Acerbis.
IWreckALot
1/21/2013 11:02am
peelout wrote:
HAR!

davistld01 wrote:

TriRacer27 wrote:
I agree. I wish Dungey would go train with Tomac. Forget the airshock or anything else. If he could just get a little bit of Tomac's...
I agree.

I wish Dungey would go train with Tomac. Forget the airshock or anything else. If he could just get a little bit of Tomac's aggression to rub off it would do wonders for his results. He has the talent and the speed but my gosh it's frustrating to watch him race behind Albertson, Weimer, Short, etc for lap upon lap upon endless lap. Maybe it's a byproduct of his secretiveness and choosing to train on his own most of the time rather than with other riders that he has to pass? I don't know but it's hard cheering for him because I loose my voice screaming at the tv.
It's too early in the season for him to get overly aggressive. He needs to continue to finish races and keep progressing. He will increase the aggression later in the season if it is called for. He won't let the leaders get too far in front of him in the points before he starts upping his game but at this point, he's just doing his thing. He is the master of patience and knows when to hold them and when to fold them.
mx510
Fantasy
1861st
1/21/2013 11:57am
TDeath21 wrote:
I personally would always run hand guards and ride with a chest protector. These riders never do nowadays it seems like. Then they have a rock...
More guys wear plastic chest pros than you think, most of them just wear them under their jerseys. Still, some run foam "roost gaurds".
Outsider
1/21/2013 12:05pm
He went for a killer trail ride mid week and didn't have time to take em off before the race.... been there!
D_L118
1/21/2013 12:29pm
Outsider wrote:
He went for a killer trail ride mid week and didn't have time to take em off before the race.... been there!
LaughingLaughing
Trig331
1/21/2013 12:40pm
davistld01 wrote:

I hope Dungey hops on vital to get all the advice he needs to get back to the top.

How many big bike championships have you won?
BAD10
1/21/2013 1:04pm
A little birdie told me that Dunge is indeed nursing a hand/wrist injury from last weeks crash.......
1/21/2013 1:19pm
Roost from those 450 are no joke, I agree with you guys about the chest protectors also......when you take off your jersey and look like you go hit with a semi automatic paint ball gun thats just miserable!
JOHN CHOATE
1/21/2013 2:16pm
davistld01 wrote:

Trig331 wrote:
I hope Dungey hops on vital to get all the advice he needs to get back to the top. How many big bike championships have you...
I hope Dungey hops on vital to get all the advice he needs to get back to the top.

Good one. Laughing
davistld01
1/21/2013 2:25pm
davistld01 wrote:

Trig331 wrote:
I hope Dungey hops on vital to get all the advice he needs to get back to the top. How many big bike championships have you...

Like you...not a one, but I've raced long enough to know what it takes to win any race. Cool

Confidence in your equipment/set-up & the willingness to be aggressive when it counts. Those go a long way!

His lack of aggression isn't a secret...and should be obvious to even you, if you have watched more than once or twice. I'm not a mind reader though, and don't know what his hold up is...but one thing is for certain...something is.
RbR
1/21/2013 2:51pm
BAD10 wrote:
A little birdie told me that Dunge is indeed nursing a hand/wrist injury from last weeks crash.......
That's the first thing I thought when I saw the hand guards. No excuses from Dungey ... you'll never know if he's injured. Not like he'd race with a broken collar bone or anything like that ...
Trig331
1/21/2013 4:40pm
davistld01 wrote:
Like you...not a one, but I've raced long enough to know what it takes to win any race. B) Confidence in your equipment/set-up & the willingness...
Like you...not a one, but I've raced long enough to know what it takes to win any race. Cool

Confidence in your equipment/set-up & the willingness to be aggressive when it counts. Those go a long way!

His lack of aggression isn't a secret...and should be obvious to even you, if you have watched more than once or twice. I'm not a mind reader though, and don't know what his hold up is...but one thing is for certain...something is.
Racing and racing at their level are two different things. 'his lack of aggression' is there at times, but it obviously has been working with 3 titles in the last three years and being right in the mix in the others.

I realize it's just your opinion and we all know what those are like...it's just funny to say it might keep him from any chance at a championship. We're 3 rounds in and things can change in a hurry. Look at RV, struggled the first 2 rounds (I use struggled loosely as 2nd in round 2 wasn't too bad) and then came out and made it look pretty easy in the 3rd. Or Barcia, won then took a dnf.

He'll do his thing and be there in the end ( I think). One thing is for certain that it sure is fun to watch with this much parity in the class.

Post a reply to: Dungey running hand-guards?

The Latest