E mountain bikes

MaxPower
1/1/2019 9:42am Edited Date/Time 2/20/2019 9:55am
Im a cranky old man.A carmudgeon some might call it. I like cheeseburgers. Chicks in cut offs. Old school rough on the side of a mountain mx tracks. Old dirt bikes that split your ear drums and puff smoke. So when I see a mountain bike with an electric motor that cost as much or more than a full racing 450 its going to take a minute to get on board. Im still wrestling with the idea that i need anything more than a hardtail. I like the simplicity of pulling a bike off the wall after 2 months and its ready to go. This whole E thing adds a new level of complexity
That said, Im sure its a good time riding one,
|
Kyle_McNab
1/1/2019 9:52am
MaxPower wrote:
Im a cranky old man.A carmudgeon some might call it. I like cheeseburgers. Chicks in cut offs. Old school rough on the side of a mountain...
Im a cranky old man.A carmudgeon some might call it. I like cheeseburgers. Chicks in cut offs. Old school rough on the side of a mountain mx tracks. Old dirt bikes that split your ear drums and puff smoke. So when I see a mountain bike with an electric motor that cost as much or more than a full racing 450 its going to take a minute to get on board. Im still wrestling with the idea that i need anything more than a hardtail. I like the simplicity of pulling a bike off the wall after 2 months and its ready to go. This whole E thing adds a new level of complexity
E bikes are cool in my book, but don’t know if I’ll buy one. I use to underestimate full suspension bikes but if you riding downhill mtb it’s a huge difference. Weather if it’s less effort and more speed. I demod a giant trance and it’s awesome. Might end up buying one soon
APLMAN99
1/1/2019 9:55am
I have to admit that I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger on one. I used to cycle a fair amount a long time ago, but the older I've gotten, the steeper and longer the hills have gotten. Being a big guy overall, hills just plain suck and it kills the whole idea of riding to work, etc. But from what I've seen and been told about e-bikes, it changes all of that.

Whip
Fantasy
3218th
1/1/2019 10:05am
It has enabled my 60 year old father and I to going riding together for the first time in years.

It seems to help his MX riding skills (balance, grip) and the fresh air does him well.

I would recommend buying something with Shimano or Specialized motor. My friends have had problems with the Bosch.
tp4
1/1/2019 10:43am
D/hilling on a mountain bike is just a blast..I'm 60 and had this one 15 years..

The Shop

1/1/2019 10:50am
I'd have one already if they weren't so expensive, I'll probably wait a couple more years.
mxengineer1
1/1/2019 11:03am
MaxPower wrote:
Im a cranky old man.A carmudgeon some might call it. I like cheeseburgers. Chicks in cut offs. Old school rough on the side of a mountain...
I finally tried one a year ago and have been hooked every since. Lots of bike shops have demo e-bikes: try one and you might be surprised. Excellent cross over to riding moto. I often times ride both on the same day.....

BikeGuy321
1/1/2019 11:03am
Whip wrote:
It has enabled my 60 year old father and I to going riding together for the first time in years. It seems to help his MX...
It has enabled my 60 year old father and I to going riding together for the first time in years.

It seems to help his MX riding skills (balance, grip) and the fresh air does him well.

I would recommend buying something with Shimano or Specialized motor. My friends have had problems with the Bosch.
Any word on the Yamaha E-motor? Also, I heard some of them limit your downhill speed is there any way to disable that?
1/1/2019 11:15am
The assist only works up to a certain speed. You can buy a device that over rides that but of course you void warranty doing so.
BikeGuy321
1/1/2019 11:27am
Markturbo wrote:
The assist only works up to a certain speed. You can buy a device that over rides that but of course you void warranty doing so.
That makes sense. I wouldn't be trying to hit 50mph or anything, lol. Someone had told me that certain e-bikes have an engine braking type effect at 20-25mph that limits your downhill speed and then I kind of became less interested in them.
BikeGuy321
1/1/2019 11:53am Edited Date/Time 1/1/2019 12:39pm
tp4 wrote:
D/hilling on a mountain bike is just a blast..I'm 60 and had this one 15 years.. [img]https://www.fototime.com/56FC3C60F5549FE/medium800.jpg[/img]
D/hilling on a mountain bike is just a blast..I'm 60 and had this one 15 years..
Agreed, downhill mtb is the closest thing to motocross. I had been shopping around for an all-mountain, or enduro style bike and ended up buying a 26" downhill bike instead because it was about $800 less. I mainly use it as an all-mountain bike and it's good enough for me. I take it easy until the trail points downhill, then I let her rip.

ayearinmx
1/1/2019 12:14pm Edited Date/Time 1/1/2019 12:20pm
tp4 wrote:
D/hilling on a mountain bike is just a blast..I'm 60 and had this one 15 years.. [img]https://www.fototime.com/56FC3C60F5549FE/medium800.jpg[/img]
Nice. Love the old-school DH bikes. Tanks!

I've only had this a couple of years but when i saw it on my local MTB group for sale, i knew i had to buy it... even got the nod of approval from 'the man' himself when i bumped into him at the airport

As for ebikes... If someone gave me one, I'd use it... But i don't see me buying one anytime soon
milliebays
1/1/2019 12:28pm
Theyre fun but theyre the devil.
Ramrod
Fantasy
1880th
1/1/2019 12:48pm
Are Ebikes the four strokes of that industry?

BikeGuy321
1/1/2019 1:00pm
Ramrod wrote:

I'd say that's a pretty fair comparison. E-bikes are like the original KTM 520SX. In a different class speed-wise, but not exactly the same handling characteristics everywhere. some people embrace them and say they're the future, other cyclists hate on them and try to get them outlawed.
milliebays
1/1/2019 1:02pm
Ramrod wrote:

They are the quads of the industry. Make no mistake. QUADS
BikeGuy321
1/1/2019 1:13pm Edited Date/Time 1/1/2019 1:14pm
Ramrod wrote:

milliebays wrote:
When have quads ever been faster than MX bikes?
Forty
1/1/2019 1:39pm
I don't understand the fear some have of the E-bike. It's a beautiful thing. I'll own one as soon as the budget allows.
Excaliburbmx
1/1/2019 1:48pm
What is a good one and how much do they run?
ti473
1/1/2019 1:51pm
Ramrod wrote:

milliebays wrote:
That's what I've been saying
Panic_Rev
1/1/2019 2:00pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
I have to admit that I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger on one. I used to cycle a fair amount a long time ago, but...
I have to admit that I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger on one. I used to cycle a fair amount a long time ago, but the older I've gotten, the steeper and longer the hills have gotten. Being a big guy overall, hills just plain suck and it kills the whole idea of riding to work, etc. But from what I've seen and been told about e-bikes, it changes all of that.

I rented the trek superfly for my brother two months ago so he would go riding with me on my birthday. Loved it so much he went and bout the Specialized turbo Levo. Longer travel, lighter weight, can customize battery and power delivery. Now he’s riding with me weekly. I still want to earn my downhills, but I certainly believe there is a place for e bikes.
APLMAN99
1/1/2019 2:11pm Edited Date/Time 1/1/2019 2:16pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
I have to admit that I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger on one. I used to cycle a fair amount a long time ago, but...

Panic_Rev wrote:
I rented the trek superfly for my brother two months ago so he would go riding with me on my birthday. Loved it so much he...
I rented the trek superfly for my brother two months ago so he would go riding with me on my birthday. Loved it so much he went and bout the Specialized turbo Levo. Longer travel, lighter weight, can customize battery and power delivery. Now he’s riding with me weekly. I still want to earn my downhills, but I certainly believe there is a place for e bikes.
I DO understand the “earn” part, but I probably thought that way more in my twenties than I do approaching my mid-50s. I may not actually get one for myself this year, as I might actually get my wife an e-bike first. She’s about 16 months post aortic valve replacement and while she did go riding with me a couple of times last summer, she doesn’t have the ability to really put in the miles I’d like to. I think that an e-bike would let her keep up enough that I could actually take my road bike out instead of my mountain bike if I wanted to.

We live in an area with LOTS of hills/climbs, but you can also string together quite a bit of relatively flat rides if you want. And if an e-bike lets me spend more time with my wife, it’d be a great investment! Every minute with her from here on out is a gift!

Noticed that you’re in Fayetteville. My grandparents lived in Springdale when I was a kid. My dad was actually born out in Forum (past/above Huntsville) and lived there til he was 14 or so and the family relocated to Washington (temporarily for them, permanently for him!).

Love that area and came really close to going to Arkansas for college.
milliebays
1/1/2019 2:24pm
More power to you pun intended. Youre the exception.
1/1/2019 2:32pm
I'm also past the point of trying to prove anything, to myself or anyone else, by being able to climb a hill. And I'm at that age and point in my life where I don't have the endurance, energy, or time to ride enough that I can last long on extended rides. But I still have the urge to get out there and if I can enjoy pedaling up a hill as much as riding down one then that's a win win for me.
jbrown15
1/1/2019 2:35pm
I would love to buy one but the biggest factory holding me back at the moment is the speed at which the bikes are evolving at. I would hate to drop that kind of money and the battery and motor be old tech in less than two years. I believe this is already the case with Specialized and the batteries for the first gen bike that's what two years old?

The new batteries are already lighter and hold 40% more charge.
1/1/2019 2:52pm
I think that's always going to be the case with these. He'll even regular mtb bikes change so much with new tech and standards.
Harv379
Fantasy
1959th
1/1/2019 2:54pm
jbrown15 wrote:
I would love to buy one but the biggest factory holding me back at the moment is the speed at which the bikes are evolving at...
I would love to buy one but the biggest factory holding me back at the moment is the speed at which the bikes are evolving at. I would hate to drop that kind of money and the battery and motor be old tech in less than two years. I believe this is already the case with Specialized and the batteries for the first gen bike that's what two years old?

The new batteries are already lighter and hold 40% more charge.
^ He's referring to the new Levo, and the 40% thing hasn't proven itself in real world tests, that new motor is also hella noisy... It is lighter though. I rode one before buying my Kenevo. I work in the mtb industry and was able to get this at cost. After demo'ing multiple different e-bikes I was hooked. I have only ridden the normal bike once since getting it. It's a blast. I ride way more, and have more fun when I do. There's nothing like popping off stuff up hill and braking into uphill corners. And of course, riding 3x the distance in the same amount of time and effort. I get a better upper body work out, and it's gotten me into better shape because I ride more. She weighs 50lbs vs my 28lb carbon Enduro, which actually cost more. If you're in the market for an MTB, definitely go assist. It's the most fun I've had with a two wheeler in a long time.

1/1/2019 3:00pm
E-bike just means I'll have to ride longer to get the same workout and spend more money to do it. I'm out. Silly
ti473
1/1/2019 3:13pm
I believe there's a place for e-bikes. And that place is the dumpster
grunkster
1/1/2019 4:37pm Edited Date/Time 1/1/2019 4:37pm
Last winter lonestar e-bikes had KILLER deals on haibikes..bought this one for $2400 and it quickly became the ONLY bike I care to ride. The yamaha setup is amazing and very quiet and fun. I think most folks downing them have not tried one!!
Tarz483
Fantasy
379th
1/1/2019 4:50pm
I want one the only thing stopping me is finances

Post a reply to: E mountain bikes

The Latest