East cost vintage

Jim-7
Edited Date/Time 8/16/2017 11:11am
I just wanted to put my 2cents in on all you guys talking bad about Jason at east coast vintage, the bikes he is selling are 40 years old race bikes that probably have been beat to death, he restores them pretty damn good for what they have been threw at a good price, one guy was saying he (Jason) painted the head, come on man if you can ride one of these I'm sure you can work on it and keep it running, I think he doing a hell of a job keeping the old mx bikes around, if you want new go buy a new bike but don't bad mouth someone that's doing what we wish we could do.
|
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
8/15/2017 9:02pm
I dont see this going well.
Old-Man
8/15/2017 9:13pm
The "cost"? it's huge, finding bikes and parts alone are mind boggling, ask Newman

The Shop

ledger
8/15/2017 10:30pm Edited Date/Time 8/16/2017 10:04am
I'm the one that said he painted the head.....with off the shelf Wal Mart rattle can and he charged it as powdercoating. The bike arrived looking fairly good but....so many parts broke than I care to list, I will mention every brand new Buchanan spoke was bent. He was great to deal with when taking my $$, but after I told him the problems he let me know it was my problem. The bike you see in my profile pic was a pretty piece of rolling junk. I asked him for a sales receipt three times when the bike was stolen and he never provided it. Are you okay with someone stealing money that you worked for and saved ??? Btw...the bike never started due to carb and electrical, among other issues. I'm glad the bike was stolen, I don't have to be reminded of East Coast Vintage and Jason every day. Buyer beware.......
burn1986
Fantasy
3303rd
8/15/2017 10:32pm
They certainly won't sell anything if someone reads that other post. People love to get on a bandwagon sometimes.
sandman768
8/16/2017 4:50am
Jim-7 wrote:
I just wanted to put my 2cents in on all you guys talking bad about Jason at east coast vintage, the bikes he is selling are...
I just wanted to put my 2cents in on all you guys talking bad about Jason at east coast vintage, the bikes he is selling are 40 years old race bikes that probably have been beat to death, he restores them pretty damn good for what they have been threw at a good price, one guy was saying he (Jason) painted the head, come on man if you can ride one of these I'm sure you can work on it and keep it running, I think he doing a hell of a job keeping the old mx bikes around, if you want new go buy a new bike but don't bad mouth someone that's doing what we wish we could do.
Glad to see you joined the party .... Jason......look through some of the quality build threads on here & learn how to do it correctly.
rmoto003
8/16/2017 5:05am
Just got a glimpse of East Coast Whip... Oops I meant East Coast Vintage's newest project!! Custom spoiler, dawg!! Its 8 hours custom, knowImSayin

lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
8/16/2017 7:36am
I wonder who is doing all the vintage graphics for these bikes. For the price it looks like you are getting what you pay for and anyone who thinks they are getting a frame up restoration must be crazy as they are decent looking old dirt bikes and some of them are a great starting point to do a complete restoration.
newmann
8/16/2017 7:38am
Old-Man wrote:
The "cost"? it's huge, finding bikes and parts alone are mind boggling, ask Newman
Back in the early 90's this whole vintage deal was a cool place to be. Lots of stuff out there at bargain basement prices and everyone was more than willing to help another racer get a bike on the track. Now that things have dried up and prices have gone through the roof for certain parts (74 CR250M NOS fuel tank $3000.00 and up, NOS downpipe $2750.00...) people have gotten greedy. I've screwed myself a number of times selling something for a "reasonable amount" and ended up paying double a year later when I needed one of the same. Now you have people taking a $500.00 bike and pimp shining it up for another $500.00 to look good in a photo and dumping it on an unsuspecting buyer for $3000.00. I'd rather have one that's a little cosmetically challenged, but solid, for the same money.

Damn shame the poor descriptions we've gotten from some of the big players in this game. The worst fleecing I ever took was from one of the top collectors here in the states. Second worst misrepresentation was from a widely known and respected restorer. Tell you one thing, deliver another. Promises of a crate full of good, usable and even many NOS parts yet the crate arrives full of broken cylinders, rusted through fuel tanks, bent and rusted forks, broken plastics, 75% of which went straight into the dumpster. Fuzzy pictures with rave reviews about all the good things yet fail to show the cracks in the frame, or the blob welded repairs or everything else that is wrong. Heck, I had a friend pay $1500.00 for an air cooled Mugen cylinder that had a broken fin stuck back on with body filler and rattle canned.

Buyer beware...Angry
newmann
8/16/2017 7:50am
lostboy819 wrote:
I wonder who is doing all the vintage graphics for these bikes. For the price it looks like you are getting what you pay for and...
I wonder who is doing all the vintage graphics for these bikes. For the price it looks like you are getting what you pay for and anyone who thinks they are getting a frame up restoration must be crazy as they are decent looking old dirt bikes and some of them are a great starting point to do a complete restoration.
A proper description would have save everyone involved a bunch of grief. Under promise, over deliver.
mx317
8/16/2017 8:05am
I only trust myself when it comes to restoring bikes. I have hunted high and low for the proper bolt, screw, sprocket lock tabs, etc to make the project correct. Many would not know the difference, but I would and I'm only doing them to satisfy me and I am hard to please. I want to take another opportunity to thank Newmann for the pickle silencer for my CR250M he sent me several years ago.
Mini Elsinore
8/16/2017 8:18am Edited Date/Time 8/16/2017 8:25am
MX317, Newmann is still kicking himself for letting that pickle silencer get away... Laughing

pete24
8/16/2017 8:44am
i have a shitty but rideable 73 cr250m pipe ,and a pretty good pickle silencer and im not an eye gouger id like to trade for something good like a skid plate for a wr500
mx317
8/16/2017 8:52am
MX317, Newmann is still kicking himself for letting that pickle silencer get away... Laughing

I'll let him look at it Wink

mx317
8/16/2017 8:53am
and yes I know that was not the correct kickstarter. The correct one was at the chrome shop.
newmann
8/16/2017 9:59am

That's just one of those moments I was talking about where everyone helps get another bike on the track, or in this case properly restored and into a collection. I don't even think I gouged him on the price!Smile

On more than one occasion people here and elsewhere have either sold me stuff on the cheap or even just given it to me for free to help me get something wrapped up properly. Parts, labor , materials, an early Brad Lackey jersey from his Husky days...just a few things that have arrived at my doorstep. I always try to return the favor or pay it forward to the next poor sap in search of that last remaining item.

Jim-7
8/16/2017 10:01am
Hope I'm in the right link, but why so many haters, this guy(Jason) is keeping these old bikes going, if you priced out a complete restored 40 year old mx RACING bike I think he has some good prices and nice bikes, like I said before these bikes have been racers, I know they aren't show bikes but for a few grand you can go vintage racing what more do you want ? And a lot of his bikes you can't even find anymore, I don't want to get in a pissing match but i hate to see anyone get bad mouthed that's trying to do what we all would like to do, anyway hope everyone keeps riding and racing these old bike , have fun and be safe.
Mini Elsinore
8/16/2017 10:26am

newmann wrote:
That's just one of those moments I was talking about where everyone helps get another bike on the track, or in this case properly restored and...
That's just one of those moments I was talking about where everyone helps get another bike on the track, or in this case properly restored and into a collection. I don't even think I gouged him on the price!Smile

On more than one occasion people here and elsewhere have either sold me stuff on the cheap or even just given it to me for free to help me get something wrapped up properly. Parts, labor , materials, an early Brad Lackey jersey from his Husky days...just a few things that have arrived at my doorstep. I always try to return the favor or pay it forward to the next poor sap in search of that last remaining item.

I had to weigh-in since you actually told me about the difficulty in finding pickle silencers! And, it showed up on Vital in a thread re: East Coast Vintage! Cheers all around! Grinning
newmann
8/16/2017 11:11am
Jim-7 wrote:
Hope I'm in the right link, but why so many haters, this guy(Jason) is keeping these old bikes going, if you priced out a complete restored...
Hope I'm in the right link, but why so many haters, this guy(Jason) is keeping these old bikes going, if you priced out a complete restored 40 year old mx RACING bike I think he has some good prices and nice bikes, like I said before these bikes have been racers, I know they aren't show bikes but for a few grand you can go vintage racing what more do you want ? And a lot of his bikes you can't even find anymore, I don't want to get in a pissing match but i hate to see anyone get bad mouthed that's trying to do what we all would like to do, anyway hope everyone keeps riding and racing these old bike , have fun and be safe.
The problem is, that everybody who is complaining has either bought or seen what he is selling. And it always seems to be less than what was described or promised. Just tell it like it is, a cleaned up bike that needs to be rebuilt if you plan on racing it.

Plenty of the bikes in the now defunct Primm Collection were "museum restos". They looked really good in most cases. When they were selling them all off, they distinctly stated that many of the bikes for sale were restored for display only and that they may or may not run. I look at the East Coast photos and see some nice bikes, some look really nice. They may not be all that far off on the asking prices either for what you get. But at least give a good honest description. If it doesn't run well, sell it as a bike that looks good but needs some help. Don't tell people it's "restored" when it's just been Krylon'd or that it's race ready when it blubbers and pukes and the forks and shocks leak. You might also want to tell people when the rims have been painted, sometimes that doesn't show up in a photo on the internet. And I'm not stating that just in reference to East Coast either. I've driven hundreds of miles for a fuzzy photod Craigslist ad only to show up to find a bike that has been completely painted while completely assembled.

Trust me, it also does not bother me to see hardware store metric hardware on a race bike. Some of these resto guys get carried away with every nut, bolt, clip and fastener being perfect but most of those bikes never end up being ridden.
Mouse153
8/16/2017 11:42am
I was one of the guys burned by East Coast so unfortunately I have first hand experience. I can understand some of the shortcuts and I'll admit that I'm extremely detail oriented when it comes to bike restoration (read OCD) and I get that they're 30+ years old.

Having said that for what he charges they should at least run and operate safely. My piston had a hole in it so it never ran and they didn't (despite what they claim) get it running. clutch was completely worn out and the crankshaft was assembled from two different models.

When I removed the front wheel the brake pads fell apart, the chain was catching on a bolt that was too long and the wrong size and the throttle assembly was broken. Its a good thing it didn't run because it might have stuck wide open and I wouldn't have been able to stop.

Safety issues aside for what they charge you should know what your getting: they spray painted the rear brake lever and numerous other parts in place, there was overspray every where, the spokes & hub were painted with a paint brush, triple clamps off a different year and model and assembled incorrectly.

If you get one that runs great, but for $3500+ you would be wise to go see the bike first, before you buy it or have it shipped to you.

mx317
8/16/2017 12:01pm

newmann wrote:
That's just one of those moments I was talking about where everyone helps get another bike on the track, or in this case properly restored and...

If you had charged me any less, you would have been paying me to take it! I hope I can help you someday and will if I can. I just did a 1968 CB450K1 that I have been riding around a little and that has been a fun project. My bike collection is growing!

Post a reply to: East cost vintage

The Latest