Easy GoPro Chin Bar Mount - How To

EastFlorida
5/13/2014 4:31pm Edited Date/Time 7/27/2018 9:50am
I saw a post the other day and I've had a lot of FTR club members ask me how I mounted my GoPro on the chin bar without making any cuts into the helmet. I took some time and put together a few pics and instructions. This may or may not work for your helmet, but at least it may give you some thoughts to solve issues I haven't experienced.

First, I use this GoPro mount. I'll call it the "J" mount for lack of a better term.

I remove the three small screws underneath to separate the J arm from the base clip

I drilled two small holes in the J arm and select my mounting hardware (fender washers, small washers, screws and lock nuts.

I removed the screen, foam and padding from inside the chin bar. In the case of this helmet, I did not have to remove the plastic trim around the helmet mouth vent. I position the J arm, install the screw and fasten it from inside with the fender washer, small washer and lock nut. Ensure that your screw isn't too long or you'll have to cut it down.

This pic shows the chin bar foam and padding reinstalled.

You will need to use a short extension on the J arm. If you don't you'll only be seeing your tank and bars. It needs to be angled up a little and the extension will allow that.

Here is the finished product. No cutting or drilling into the helmet required...

In the example above, I plan to tweak the mounting position down just a little more for my son. On my Suomy, I don't even know it is there.

I've performed this same install on Suomy, Fly and Bilt (Cycle Gear) helmets. I've had to tweak each install a little, but the basic principle is the same. On my Suomy, I had to remove the plastic mouth vent trim and I used two holes and hardware to mount it. I had to do this due to a larger opening and to prevent it from potentially rotating.

There are many advantages to mounting it this way. At first I was leery fearing the added weight - NON ISSUE!

This angle produces a much better video perspective... (you also appear to ride faster LOL!)

This is better protected for those riding/racing woods/hare scrambles...

You can hear the rider talking! This is so cool... Here's an example of my son talking as he is riding... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rr0xIA7vbI

REMEMBER, if you're getting roost on your goggles, wipe off the camera. Much easier to do than trying to reach above your head. My video of the Mud Muckers GNCC round 1 in FL is a perfect example of how I was able to keep recording despite horrendous mud conditions... Watch for a bit after we get into the swap in the woods... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfBNFQzUOhA

I've seen a lot of chin bar mounts that need brackets, cuts, etc. I hope some of you find this useful and let me know if there are any questions. Try it out, you can always remove it with no difficulty. I'm betting those of you running them on top most likely will be converts!
|
Slamdrew
5/13/2014 6:02pm
This is pretty awesome. I will have to try this with an old helmet. Good videos too. The beginning of your GNCC race made me laugh. I love the attitude of offroad riders opposed to motocross riders. At least around my area it seems that way.

Thanks for sharing your idea.
EastFlorida
5/14/2014 5:43am
Slamdrew wrote:
This is pretty awesome. I will have to try this with an old helmet. Good videos too. The beginning of your GNCC race made me laugh...
This is pretty awesome. I will have to try this with an old helmet. Good videos too. The beginning of your GNCC race made me laugh. I love the attitude of offroad riders opposed to motocross riders. At least around my area it seems that way.

Thanks for sharing your idea.
Slam,

Yeah, I noticed a difference in attitude when I started racing hare scrambles...
BIGRIGGIN
5/14/2014 9:11am
Nice work. Clean it up a bit, refine it, REV. 2 then market it!
Darryl916
5/14/2014 10:02am
pretty cool

The Shop

Motoxer115
12/8/2014 7:59pm
BIGRIGGIN wrote:
Nice work. Clean it up a bit, refine it, REV. 2 then market it!
Done..... Proshotcam.com Best mount for riding!
Rotaholic
12/8/2014 9:30pm
Easiest way is to buy the wrist strap and just strap it to the chin........
SKlein
12/8/2014 10:31pm
That's pretty awesome! In terms of cleaning it off it definitely leaves the option to which is cool.
resetjet
12/9/2014 6:11am
I have one, best mount by far. You can switch to different helmets, and just pull it off for practice.
12/9/2014 6:56am
I prefer the under the visor mounting style, the footage comes out almost as you see it when you ride, you get a perfect view of the bike and the track, plus you can hear what the rider is saying. Only downside is you have to use The Frame mount for it. I'd use the chin bar mount but I dont want to have to take apart my helmet Sad
resetjet
12/19/2014 6:51am
No taking apart a helmet with the proshot....It uses new style velcro, easy.

And when you go up a hill, as opposed to your visor mount you can see!!!!!!!!!
iBobbyb
12/19/2014 8:28am
im only 2: 30 into it, but your kid makes me laugh. lol "wow thats kids good.. or maybe im just bad" hahah. you can tell after that that he starts getting more comfortable, and trying to charge after his bro.
ridemx143
7/27/2018 9:50am
I saw a post the other day and I've had a lot of FTR club members ask me how I mounted my GoPro on the chin...
I saw a post the other day and I've had a lot of FTR club members ask me how I mounted my GoPro on the chin bar without making any cuts into the helmet. I took some time and put together a few pics and instructions. This may or may not work for your helmet, but at least it may give you some thoughts to solve issues I haven't experienced.

First, I use this GoPro mount. I'll call it the "J" mount for lack of a better term.

I remove the three small screws underneath to separate the J arm from the base clip

I drilled two small holes in the J arm and select my mounting hardware (fender washers, small washers, screws and lock nuts.

I removed the screen, foam and padding from inside the chin bar. In the case of this helmet, I did not have to remove the plastic trim around the helmet mouth vent. I position the J arm, install the screw and fasten it from inside with the fender washer, small washer and lock nut. Ensure that your screw isn't too long or you'll have to cut it down.

This pic shows the chin bar foam and padding reinstalled.

You will need to use a short extension on the J arm. If you don't you'll only be seeing your tank and bars. It needs to be angled up a little and the extension will allow that.

Here is the finished product. No cutting or drilling into the helmet required...

In the example above, I plan to tweak the mounting position down just a little more for my son. On my Suomy, I don't even know it is there.

I've performed this same install on Suomy, Fly and Bilt (Cycle Gear) helmets. I've had to tweak each install a little, but the basic principle is the same. On my Suomy, I had to remove the plastic mouth vent trim and I used two holes and hardware to mount it. I had to do this due to a larger opening and to prevent it from potentially rotating.

There are many advantages to mounting it this way. At first I was leery fearing the added weight - NON ISSUE!

This angle produces a much better video perspective... (you also appear to ride faster LOL!)

This is better protected for those riding/racing woods/hare scrambles...

You can hear the rider talking! This is so cool... Here's an example of my son talking as he is riding... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rr0xIA7vbI

REMEMBER, if you're getting roost on your goggles, wipe off the camera. Much easier to do than trying to reach above your head. My video of the Mud Muckers GNCC round 1 in FL is a perfect example of how I was able to keep recording despite horrendous mud conditions... Watch for a bit after we get into the swap in the woods... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfBNFQzUOhA

I've seen a lot of chin bar mounts that need brackets, cuts, etc. I hope some of you find this useful and let me know if there are any questions. Try it out, you can always remove it with no difficulty. I'm betting those of you running them on top most likely will be converts!
Can you tell me the sizes if hardware you used other then the j mount.

Post a reply to: Easy GoPro Chin Bar Mount - How To

The Latest