Endurocross Opener in Prescott, AZ Tonight

TbonesPop
Fantasy
405th
Edited Date/Time 8/30/2018 1:33pm
Went to the Endurocross opener tonight here in AZ. Man, that is a fun time watching the racing. The track was much tougher than last year as everybody struggled with it at times - including Webb and Colton. I saw Destry crash 3 times in the same section of the rock garden. The matrix and rock gardens were super technical / tough. Anyway, if they are coming near you, you should go. Next race location is in Costa Mesa, CA. Go check it out and support these super talented riders.

Oh, and the place was packed here in AZ. The arena supposedly held 5100 and it was jam packed. Definitely over 5000 people there, no empty seats to be had.

|
DA498
8/26/2018 6:08am
Definitely a good time, went to my first in Denver last year. I hope to attend this season. The anouncing and pre race hoopla was extremely loud tho. Would like that to be toned down. It was ridiculous.
8/26/2018 7:13am
The Prescott Valley arena was much better then where they held the race in Scottsdale.

Hopefully, the great turnout means its back in PV next year!
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
8/26/2018 7:25am
No clue who markets those races but they're doing a good job. Place is packed and that's good to see.
agn5009
8/26/2018 7:54am
I hope these expand and move to the east coast as well.

The Shop

TbonesPop
Fantasy
405th
8/26/2018 8:19am
The Prescott Valley arena was much better then where they held the race in Scottsdale.

I agree it was much better in Prescott. With it being a packed house, I’m sure it will be there again, which is cool. I talked to one of our local EX pros a few weeks ago at ACP about the changed location and he said they won’t be going back to Scottsdale ever again. He said the people who run that arena are anti-motorcycle (of any kind) and they were total pricks about how they handled the races there. He said good riddance to them and asked me to come watch (and race the amateur class- I said, Lol and I like my joints and bones in tact). So I showed my support by going and drinking some cold ones. This was my third time in attendance and I’ll be back next year too. Super good times.
lumpy790
8/26/2018 8:21am
agn5009 wrote:
The inventor and promoter did it in the East until it was sold to current owners that moved it to the west.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
405th
8/26/2018 8:23am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
No clue who markets those races but they're doing a good job. Place is packed and that's good to see.
Destry Abbott does a good job of marketing the races here locally and there are several local pros from here in AZ. It has a nice following out here. Place was packed to the gills. Some people sat or stood in the isles to watch. I hope it continues to grow. The way the night program is set up is excellent.
lumpy790
8/26/2018 8:23am
Top of the rock pile is rider 976 is Supercross racer Greco. Been expecting a win from him.
JM485
8/26/2018 8:55am
lumpy790 wrote:
Top of the rock pile is rider 976 is Supercross racer Greco. Been expecting a win from him.
Nothing against Greco, but have you seen the top guys in person? I’d be shocked if anyone came from moto/supercross and pulled off a win any time soon, those guys are extremely good at what they do. Again, absolutely no slight to Greco, more just a testament to how good the endurocross guys really are, and it’s very hard to appreciate if you haven’t ridden one of those tracks yourself. I didn’t realize how bad I truly suck at riding a motorcycleLaughing

I’m kind of bummed we don’t have a live stream this year.Sad It was a lot of fun last year watching the races live and having a discussion thread on here, sad to see that go away.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
8/26/2018 9:01am
lumpy790 wrote:
JM485 wrote:
Nothing against Greco, but have you seen the top guys in person? I’d be shocked if anyone came from moto/supercross and pulled off a win any...
Nothing against Greco, but have you seen the top guys in person? I’d be shocked if anyone came from moto/supercross and pulled off a win any time soon, those guys are extremely good at what they do. Again, absolutely no slight to Greco, more just a testament to how good the endurocross guys really are, and it’s very hard to appreciate if you haven’t ridden one of those tracks yourself. I didn’t realize how bad I truly suck at riding a motorcycleLaughing

I’m kind of bummed we don’t have a live stream this year.Sad It was a lot of fun last year watching the races live and having a discussion thread on here, sad to see that go away.
Send them an email. Tell everyone you know to do the same. Voice your opinion. Just be respectful about it.
G-man
8/26/2018 9:04am
Good review, I've been wanting to go to one of these events and this will give me a good reason to go to Prescott, I luv that town and Whiskey Row with all the bars and live music. Cool
TbonesPop
Fantasy
405th
8/26/2018 9:10am
JM485 wrote:
Nothing against Greco, but have you seen the top guys in person? I’d be shocked if anyone came from moto/supercross and pulled off a win any...

Honestly, when I got there last night I looked at the track and thought it was doable (I'm pretty decent off road, C class on an MX track). There weren't any obstacles (other than the no joke lane) that I immediately looked at and said "nope, not even gonna try that". But the matrix and rock garden looked super tough. Then I saw Destry crash 3 times in the rock garden, then Cody Webb crashed twice in the matrix, and then Colton crashed once in the matrix and a couple times in the rock garden. I then realized it was WAY more difficult than it looked. Don't get me wrong, I wanted to try it (and I'm going to check it out at one of our local tracks soon once it cools down) and it wasn't scary looking. But the difficulty and the rider skill level is off the charts. When I went to the first EX 3 years ago, I saw obstacles that I thought to myself "no friggin way I would attempt to hit that". Now it doesn't look as bad but in reality, it's probably worse than it was 3 years ago in terms of difficulty.
Moto96
8/26/2018 9:11am Edited Date/Time 8/26/2018 9:16am
lumpy790 wrote:
JM485 wrote:

JM485 wrote:

Nothing against Greco, but have you seen the top guys in person? I’d be shocked if anyone came from moto/supercross and pulled off a win any time soon

Ummm, did you start this sport recently, because
Mike Brown won the Opener at Vegas once, Salt Lake, Sacramento, and Final X Games endurocross. Maybe others.

DannoJ919
8/26/2018 9:16am
Helped with the build and the event and it was a knarly track for sure. The water from the pond made it like grease. Shane Schaefer and Landon like usual build a great track that held up really well.
The whole Prescott Valley and Prescott areas were great and the local companies stepped up big to support the race and get a sell out crowd. A great way to start the season and lots of credit to all the riders who raced and got punished by that track. Lol.
JM485
8/26/2018 9:19am
lumpy790 wrote:
JM485 wrote:

Moto96 wrote:
[i] JM485 wrote: Nothing against Greco, but have you seen the top guys in person? I’d be shocked if anyone came from moto/supercross and pulled off...
JM485 wrote:

Nothing against Greco, but have you seen the top guys in person? I’d be shocked if anyone came from moto/supercross and pulled off a win any time soon

Mike Brown won the Opener at Vegas once, Salt Lake, Sacramento, and Final X Games endurocross. Maybe others.

I’m aware of that, but he was also a full time off-road guy by then and even he had trouble the last years of his career catching Colton and Cody. I’m not saying it couldn’t happen, but to expect a win this early is asking a bit too much of anyone who is relatively new to that type of racing. At this point in the game I just don’t see anyone transitioning from moto to endurocross and taking wins right away, it’s a lot more specialized in skill then you would think.
DannoJ919
8/26/2018 9:23am
The TV deal this year is on Bein Sports. I know the Prescott race will air Thursday. I get the live stream’s being cool so you can talk on here while it’s happening
Moto96
8/26/2018 10:22am Edited Date/Time 8/26/2018 1:41pm
JM485 wrote:

Moto96 wrote:
[i] JM485 wrote: Nothing against Greco, but have you seen the top guys in person? I’d be shocked if anyone came from moto/supercross and pulled off...
JM485 wrote:

JM485 wrote:
I’m aware of that, but he was also a full time off-road guy by then and even he had trouble the last years of his career...
I’m aware of that, but he was also a full time off-road guy by then and even he had trouble the last years of his career catching Colton and Cody. I’m not saying it couldn’t happen, but to expect a win this early is asking a bit too much of anyone who is relatively new to that type of racing. At this point in the game I just don’t see anyone transitioning from moto to endurocross and taking wins right away, it’s a lot more specialized in skill then you would think.
JM485 wrote:

I’m aware of that, but he was also a full time off-road guy by then and even he had trouble the last years of his career catching Colton and Cody

Lol,
Brownie is old enough to be your Dad. And Colton and Codys. AND has Retired a couple 2, maybe even 3 times!

ccullins76
8/26/2018 10:23am
It was really good to see the packed house in Prescott. It's usually smaller markets like this that pack the house, but the only time I ever saw it this packed was Daytona back in '15.

My son races pro on the #16 Beta, he had a really good night finishing 5th. Tougher tracks really suit him. When I first looked at the track I didn't think it was too hard, but then the water got drug around and the rocks and everything became super slick! I've been going to EX for a number of years and I'm still surprised how everything gets so slick once water is added to the water pit.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
405th
8/26/2018 11:35am
EX really caters to the trials skillset as the dominant skillset far more than MX/SX. During the show, there were two kids that rode in a youth class and they were on trials bikes. Both of them zipped through the course like a hot knife through butter. Throttle control, line choice, momentum, braking, etc. Incredible talents. Bike set up is crucial though.
kkawboy14
8/26/2018 11:46am Edited Date/Time 8/26/2018 11:47am
So is Endurocross the aspect of Mx racing that is missing? With Arenacross being dead now seems like this is getting a good push
TbonesPop
Fantasy
405th
8/26/2018 12:04pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
So is Endurocross the aspect of Mx racing that is missing? With Arenacross being dead now seems like this is getting a good push
I'll say this. Its the one aspect of MX/SX (dirtbike racing in general) where the start is absolutely irrelevant. Every key to every SX and MX race always contains "get a good start". EX doesn't matter. What matters is how well you can get through the rocks and logs. Anything can happen at anytime and there are usually multiple lead changes and passes in every race. I'm a huge MX fan, and I also really like SX. Love watching them both, but EX to me is an extremely interesting aspect of dirt bike racing. Watching it on TV doesn't do it justice - kind of like hockey.
JM485
8/26/2018 12:41pm
Moto96 wrote:
[i] JM485 wrote: I’m aware of that, but he was also a full time off-road guy by then and even he had trouble the last years...
JM485 wrote:

I’m aware of that, but he was also a full time off-road guy by then and even he had trouble the last years of his career catching Colton and Cody

Lol,
Brownie is old enough to be your Dad. And Colton and Codys. AND has Retired a couple 2, maybe even 3 times!

Yes, I know, I don't understand why you're talking to me like I have no clue what's going on. I've been lucky enough to see him race multiple times at these races over the years, and I still think him jumping the entire water pit and landing it to perfection multiple times in Sacramento years ago was the most incredible thing I have ever seen on a motorcycle to this day. He's an absolute legend, and I was also lucky enough to be there when he announced his retirement in Ontario. I only really get to go to one round a year which is a bummer, but I always try my hand at the amateur class so I know exactly how incredibly well versed you have to be in that style of riding to be able to turn laps as efficiently as the top guys. If you want to see exactly how not to do it watch some of my Gopro videosLaughing
agn5009
8/26/2018 12:48pm
Moto96 wrote:
JM485 wrote:

JM485 wrote:
I’m aware of that, but he was also a full time off-road guy by then and even he had trouble the last years of his career...
Moto96 wrote:
[i] JM485 wrote: I’m aware of that, but he was also a full time off-road guy by then and even he had trouble the last years...
JM485 wrote:

Lol,

I'm not sure if you're trying to be a dick but you're coming off as a major dick. Which is pathetic in a thread that is very positive.
Moto96
8/26/2018 1:39pm Edited Date/Time 8/26/2018 1:42pm
agn5009 wrote:
I'm not sure if you're trying to be a dick but you're coming off as a major dick. Which is pathetic in a thread that is...
I'm not sure if you're trying to be a dick but you're coming off as a major dick. Which is pathetic in a thread that is very positive.
Maybe before people post inaccurate information, they should know their facts!

The guy said no moto guy could win an endurocross.

I’d be shocked if anyone came from moto/supercross and pulled off a win any time soon

I simply stated Brownie has won plenty of them. There may be others too, but thats all I can think of.

Then states he's struggled the last few years.

but he was also a full time off-road guy by then and even he had trouble the last years of his career catching Colton and Cody

I simply stated Brownie is old enough to be their Dads and has retired multiple times. What does the guy Expect? MC to come back and start winning SX's and smoking Roczen and Tomac?

agn5009
8/26/2018 1:49pm
agn5009 wrote:
I'm not sure if you're trying to be a dick but you're coming off as a major dick. Which is pathetic in a thread that is...
Moto96 wrote:
Maybe before people post inaccurate information, they should know their facts! The guy said no moto guy could win an endurocross. [i] I’d be shocked if...

I’d be shocked if anyone came from moto/supercross and pulled off a win any time soon

I simply stated Brownie has won plenty of them. There may be others too, but thats all I can think of.

but he was also a full time off-road guy by then and even he had trouble the last years of his career catching Colton and Cody

I simply stated Brownie is old enough to be their Dads and has retired multiple times. What does the guy Expect? MC to come back and start winning SX's and smoking Roczen and Tomac?

Brown was able to win because he's one of the most bad ass guys on a dirt bike on this planet. He also had tons of offroad experience plus SX/MX experience which only helped him. I would assume what JM meant was he doubts any SX/MX racer could switch over to endurocross and win right away. Obviously any of the pro SX/MX guys could be successful with some offroad experience and practice. Those guys are in the top 1% of dirt bike riders in the world. They could train and be very good at any discipline.
JM485
8/26/2018 2:53pm
agn5009 wrote:
Moto96 wrote:
Maybe before people post inaccurate information, they should know their facts! The guy said no moto guy could win an endurocross. [i] I’d be shocked if...

agn5009 wrote:
Brown was able to win because he's one of the most bad ass guys on a dirt bike on this planet. He also had tons of...
Brown was able to win because he's one of the most bad ass guys on a dirt bike on this planet. He also had tons of offroad experience plus SX/MX experience which only helped him. I would assume what JM meant was he doubts any SX/MX racer could switch over to endurocross and win right away. Obviously any of the pro SX/MX guys could be successful with some offroad experience and practice. Those guys are in the top 1% of dirt bike riders in the world. They could train and be very good at any discipline.
That’s pretty much exactly what I was getting at, I don’t know what the heck got lost in translation but I thought that was pretty clear. Lumpy had original said he expected to see Greco get a win soon, and my whole point was I think that was a very high expectation given the amount of talent in the endurocross field. Given enough time I’m sure most of the top moto guys could transition and do well, but the level that Colton and Cody have pushed things to is something that would be very hard to achieve without having a similar background to theirs. What I was somewhat getting at is I don’t think people really appreciate just how good most of the pro field is, and it’s very difficult to if you haven’t raced or watched a round in person. How the heck this turned into what it has is beyond me, but I’m done, this is getting ridiculous and this thread deserves better.

Can’t wait for the Reno round, I’m really hoping I can get into the amateur A main, but even that is pretty tough given how good a lot of those guys are. I was happy to read that Cody took the win last night, I like Colton a lot as well but Cody’s a fellow engineer so I can’t help but root for him. Good to see Redmond did well as well, he’s been doing a few hillclimb events lately so I’ve gotten to know him a little bit and he’s a good dude. Come to think of it I don’t think there’s anyone out there I don’t like, everyone is super friendly at the races and I think that’s something that makes this sport so cool and accessible to fans.
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1154th
8/26/2018 2:58pm
I was really looking forward to watching these live again.Sad
8/26/2018 3:17pm

TbonesPop wrote:
I agree it was much better in Prescott. With it being a packed house, I’m sure it will be there again, which is cool. I talked...
I agree it was much better in Prescott. With it being a packed house, I’m sure it will be there again, which is cool. I talked to one of our local EX pros a few weeks ago at ACP about the changed location and he said they won’t be going back to Scottsdale ever again. He said the people who run that arena are anti-motorcycle (of any kind) and they were total pricks about how they handled the races there. He said good riddance to them and asked me to come watch (and race the amateur class- I said, Lol and I like my joints and bones in tact). So I showed my support by going and drinking some cold ones. This was my third time in attendance and I’ll be back next year too. Super good times.

Scottsdale was a POS 4 rows of cement seating then pullout bleachers? I would never go back. ii u n
My uncle sponsored an local am rider that dislocated a rib in qualifyiying
bvm111
8/27/2018 7:19am
The best part is you can hit Wiskey row and the Prescott Brewery afterward!
mx510
Fantasy
1744th
8/27/2018 7:36am
agn5009 wrote:
Only if us on the west can finally get some GNCCs....

Post a reply to: Endurocross Opener in Prescott, AZ Tonight

The Latest