FMF Titanium Silencer

hillbilly
8/26/2015 6:38am
hillbilly wrote:
Took me 3 shots of likker to get thru it but i got it now. Now i just dont give a shit.
Hope you're drinking good liquor at least.

Shane
Always,just got nothing to do today so,cant find a reasonn not to limber up a bit and coffe up.

Nice cool morning here to.
RPM68
8/26/2015 6:48am Edited Date/Time 8/26/2015 6:49am
I think what i'm reading here is you're mad you spent $400 on something and pissed your 2-stroke isn't a new machine.

Nothing beats the FMF Fatty and shorty silencer, I will call they guy that bought my 300, borrow it, and steal every dime you got with that bitch. Have you considered jetting it properly, have you considered you are not a good candidate for that exhaust system? They build stuff for all consumers. FMF is one of many amazing companies our sport has, and in my opinion offers the best customer service out there.

Sorry you had a bad experience, or whatever this is about, but come on guy...If you're such a 2-stroke nerd you should know what works and stick with it, don't re-invent the wheel home-slice.
SouthwestMfg
8/26/2015 6:56am
"Ti is NOT lighter than steel" ;
Steel : 7.85gm/cc
Ti : 4.53gm/cc
Alcohol : 0.789gm/cc
Winner = Alcohol, no bling needed.
hillbilly
8/26/2015 6:59am
Plus the nutritional aspects of alky,carbs,protein and such, and ,in the morning it works like a colon cleaner.

The Shop

newmann
8/26/2015 7:01am
The OP makes some good points on all the overweight bling but not necessarily in regards to the main topic of conversation. Apples and oranges comes to mind.

But I will join the rant about buying a ti or carbon silencer that has a steel core, a stainless inlet pipe, stainless end caps, billet aluminum end caps....you get the point. My DSP Ti SX exhaust for my old YZ250F was a bit of a masterpiece when it came out of the box and the thing absolute ripped on the bike. Weighed about three pounds less than the stocker and made 2 plus more hp. Thirty minutes of ride time later, the ti can had disintegrated, just cracked, split and blown all to hell. They replaced it claiming embrittlement due to improper shielding of the weld. Six months later the inner perforated core had rusted and fallen apart. Then the inlet end cap, a conglomeration or billet aluminum and stainless steel suffered a failure.

The Scalvini carbon silencer for my KTM 150 came in about three feet long obviously a euro part with a improperly angled stainless inlet pipe. Cut it down to the shorty length I wanted and tried to bend the inlet pipe as best I could without proper tools to keep the silencer from pointing straight up at the rear fender. Trick piece, but a bit of a shitshow.
holeshot100
8/26/2015 7:10am
RPM68 wrote:
I think what i'm reading here is you're mad you spent $400 on something and pissed your 2-stroke isn't a new machine. Nothing beats the FMF...
I think what i'm reading here is you're mad you spent $400 on something and pissed your 2-stroke isn't a new machine.

Nothing beats the FMF Fatty and shorty silencer, I will call they guy that bought my 300, borrow it, and steal every dime you got with that bitch. Have you considered jetting it properly, have you considered you are not a good candidate for that exhaust system? They build stuff for all consumers. FMF is one of many amazing companies our sport has, and in my opinion offers the best customer service out there.

Sorry you had a bad experience, or whatever this is about, but come on guy...If you're such a 2-stroke nerd you should know what works and stick with it, don't re-invent the wheel home-slice.
From what I read, it doesn't even sound like he bought one...but he is willing to bet about horsepower gains and weight compared to stock.
8/26/2015 7:10am
If they don't sell many they will either drop price or stop producing.

I'm sure they'll sell a lot.
GrapeApe
Fantasy
760th
8/26/2015 7:14am
Two stroke aficionados sure like to consume their own.
RPM68
8/26/2015 7:48am
From what I read, it doesn't even sound like he bought one...but he is willing to bet about horsepower gains and weight compared to stock.
Yup, and he would lose every bit of his money. HP gains across the board with FMF Fatty and Shorty if you jet it.
mxtech1
8/26/2015 8:10am Edited Date/Time 8/26/2015 8:13am
There's only 1 reason why FMF makes this silencer and that is to better leverage economies of scale. By offering this silencer, they get to use more of the same materials and manufacturing processes as the 4T products.

Simply put, this makes the product cheaper for FMF to manufacture. On top of that, they market it as a premium product with a premium price, which returns a premium profit. It also lowers the cost of the 4T products because of lower material costs due to increased mass production

No one is forcing you to buy it. Heck, no one is even forcing you to look at it. Instead of being pissed, you should understand that, when all is said and done, FMF is a business. Some people just want to buy cool shit and FMF will sell some.
mxtech1
8/26/2015 8:15am
Also, this post/conversation would only be valid if FMF was discontinuing all of their other silencer models in replace of only this one option.
8/26/2015 8:40am
With the plateu that 2 strokes have reached I would suprised if aftermarket pipes now offer more power than stock. Maybe move the power about but a gain all the way through I doubt.

As for the silencers shown, I would just guess it's standardising parts, cheaper production = higher profit
TeamGreen
8/26/2015 8:45am
The "facts" about the various weights of metals was funny.

Thanks for the laughs.

Now, let's look at the Reality of your Igno-Rants:

1. Next time you want to play engineer, get the education and the get your facts straight (the problems with your "facts" were pointed out by the likes of Shane & HillBilly). Apples to Apples and all that.

2. FMF makes options for all you Fly-Guy-Smokers. Choose amongst those options as you see fit.

3. Those HUGE 2T silencers are designed to make your bike REALLY QUIET; and, when making a HUGE SILENCER it's a good idea to try to use LIGHTER MATERIALS to -Compensate- for the "HUGENESS".

4. You should have known...

5. I'm jus' messin' with Ya.
JBernard_401
8/26/2015 8:53am Edited Date/Time 8/26/2015 10:10am
tmauto769 wrote:
so they quit making the aluminum ones? that sucks. At least in 4t you get to chose aluminum or Ti. and this "Contrary to what most...
so they quit making the aluminum ones? that sucks. At least in 4t you get to chose aluminum or Ti. and this "Contrary to what most people think, Ti is NOT lighter than steel" your right I always thought Ti was lighter than steel, oh wait I did find this somewhere "Steel is corrosive, rusts, stains, and is heavier than titanium. Steel’s density is 7.85 g/cm3, and titanium has 56% that of steel." hmm...

hopefully a typo on his part. ti is way lighter than steel.
not much in the realm of usable metals that are lighter than aluminum though. only Mg fills that gap.
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
8/26/2015 8:56am
A larger/quieter 2 stroke silencer is 100% useless as far as motocross goes, when there are stock 4strokes that are much louder and carry sound further. IF you are riding it in the forest/offroad, then sure, availability of quiet spark arrestor is great.

This thing is not even on my radar, especially when I can get an aluminum silencer that works great or even a carbon silencer from BUD Racing for friggin $120.
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
8/26/2015 8:58am
tmauto769 wrote:
so they quit making the aluminum ones? that sucks. At least in 4t you get to chose aluminum or Ti. and this "Contrary to what most...
so they quit making the aluminum ones? that sucks. At least in 4t you get to chose aluminum or Ti. and this "Contrary to what most people think, Ti is NOT lighter than steel" your right I always thought Ti was lighter than steel, oh wait I did find this somewhere "Steel is corrosive, rusts, stains, and is heavier than titanium. Steel’s density is 7.85 g/cm3, and titanium has 56% that of steel." hmm...

hopefully a typo on his part. ti is way lighter than steel. not much in the realm of usable metals that are lighter than aluminum though...
hopefully a typo on his part. ti is way lighter than steel.
not much in the realm of usable metals that are lighter than aluminum though. only Mg fills that gap.
Ya, pretty sure he meant to type that Ti is not lighter than Al (rather than steel).
Chadillac661
8/26/2015 9:00am
tmauto769 wrote:

Sorry about that, I meant to say that Ti is not lighter than aluminum. That was a typo on my part.

Titanium is approximately 45% lighter than steel.
Chadillac661
8/26/2015 9:04am
I'd take a heavy, stock and quiet muffler or $400 Ti muffler over a 5 hour drive to Bumfaurk just to ride my bike due to...
I'd take a heavy, stock and quiet muffler or $400 Ti muffler over a 5 hour drive to Bumfaurk just to ride my bike due to noise complaints that closed all the local riding areas.
Then sell your four stroke immediately.
8/26/2015 9:08am
Not directed at the OP...just in general...
Next time you see a guy with a $1,000 exhaust system....just tell him "Thanks"
He's paying for much of the R and D and sponsorship FMF provides to riders/teams.
Suns_PSD
8/26/2015 9:18am
I've tried them all on my KTM 2 strokes. The Powerparts (rebadged FMF) silencer runs the best and I paid $109 for it new when my Ti Shorty cracked (and my CF Leo Vince before that).

As long as you can still buy the right part for cheap, I don't have a problem with the $400 silencer.
Chadillac661
8/26/2015 9:19am
RPM68 wrote:
Yup, and he would lose every bit of his money. HP gains across the board with FMF Fatty and Shorty if you jet it.
On any of the 2002-2007 Honda CR250s the stock pipe will outperform everything I have tested with the exception of the DOMA. I have not tried the HGS as of yet but I will have one by the end of the week. The American made pipes are unfortunately the weakest of the bunch on the CR.
coolhand
8/26/2015 9:49am
First, sorry for your heavy day, check with your OBGYN, spotting maybe a clue to more serious problems.

You are the type of clown that parks next to me at the race and bitches because your bike got dirty in practice
or they back double is to far for your candy ass. Now with that being said, STFU and put some more monster
stickers on your Dodge and have a good day.
holeshot100
8/26/2015 10:01am
Since you ride a Honda...I asked Ronnie which FMF silencer he uses. The Mac said he would check it out.

8/26/2015 10:02am
coolhand wrote:
First, sorry for your heavy day, check with your OBGYN, spotting maybe a clue to more serious problems. You are the type of clown that parks...
First, sorry for your heavy day, check with your OBGYN, spotting maybe a clue to more serious problems.

You are the type of clown that parks next to me at the race and bitches because your bike got dirty in practice
or they back double is to far for your candy ass. Now with that being said, STFU and put some more monster
stickers on your Dodge and have a good day.
Damn.

Nicely done.
MxKing809
Fantasy
315th
8/26/2015 10:03am

Carbon BRO..... all the cool kids are doing it
RPM68
8/26/2015 10:14am
On any of the 2002-2007 Honda CR250s the stock pipe will outperform everything I have tested with the exception of the DOMA. I have not tried...
On any of the 2002-2007 Honda CR250s the stock pipe will outperform everything I have tested with the exception of the DOMA. I have not tried the HGS as of yet but I will have one by the end of the week. The American made pipes are unfortunately the weakest of the bunch on the CR.
What kind of "testing" is that?

I will say, if you arent re-jetting them yes they run worse than stock. However, from my experience, WHEN JETTED PROPERLY, FMF offers WAY more HP than stock. Someone said it may move the HP somewhere else, I can agree with that, but who the hell rides a 250 2-stroke on the bottom end (other than off-road)?

I honestly feel like if youre concerned about new technology fucking up your life than you should stick to buying an OEM priced silencer and pipe for $420.99 and $208.99
Chadillac661
8/26/2015 10:16am
MxKing809 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/08/26/103003/s1200_20150711_191642.jpg[/img] Carbon BRO..... all the cool kids are doing it

Carbon BRO..... all the cool kids are doing it
Bills Pipes posted this on their Instagram last week, looks pretty trick. "Coming soon" apparently?

8/26/2015 11:12am
I'd take a heavy, stock and quiet muffler or $400 Ti muffler over a 5 hour drive to Bumfaurk just to ride my bike due to...
I'd take a heavy, stock and quiet muffler or $400 Ti muffler over a 5 hour drive to Bumfaurk just to ride my bike due to noise complaints that closed all the local riding areas.
Then sell your four stroke immediately.
I'll take any good shot to say that bikes are too loud and YES four strokes carry sound too far for today's landscape.

We live 5 minutes outside of town on some acreage. 1 four stroke at my track carries VERY CLEARLY into town. The local officer made the comment "yeah, they used to say 'Here comes a dirtbike through town' and I'd tell them 'No it's just Lawrence's track.' " This year we had 3 two strokes riding at once and they certainly make a pitched sound up close but in town.... NOTHING heard.
8/26/2015 11:16am
Also I have the Scalvini system with shorty carbon silencer on my 150 and it was expensive unless you compare it to a four stroke exhaust. $540 for the combo I think shipped, which is about half of some 4 banger pipes.

Felt like I was getting the trickest stuff I could find, at close to half the price. Sort of the two stroke in a nutshell coming off a 450. Smile
Slosh 112
8/26/2015 12:40pm Edited Date/Time 8/26/2015 12:41pm
The body is made of Titanium, stock is aluminum. It's simple math, Ti is 50% the weight of steel, Aluminum is 30% the weight of steel. Contrary to what most people think, Ti is NOT lighter than aluminum. If anything this silencer is 1.5 lbs HEAVIER than stock, not 1.5 lbs lighter.

Have a read first buddy, he states Ti is not lighter than aluminium...

Post a reply to: FMF Titanium Silencer

The Latest