Fitness trackers for moto

DJL219
Fantasy
3226th
7/16/2018 7:48am Edited Date/Time 7/17/2018 11:26am
Thinking about getting a fitbit or a fitness tracker for moto. Was wondering what you guys use and some experiences you had with them.
|
7/16/2018 8:12am
I use a Fitbit Ionic for hare scramble. Works great and is waterproof, which is a necessity for HS. I also have it connected to Strava. Here is the type of readout you get:

jjavaman
Fantasy
3706th
7/16/2018 8:17am
Hi, thanks for asking this question. I wear a garmin tracker and the last time we went for a ride(about75km) on medium skill trails/roads I checked my data when we finished. I was shocked at the results,burned almost 5100 calories, my heart beat maxed at 185 ( I’m 60) and I think it was 27 floors climbed. The heart rate thing freaked me out, I asked my Dr. about it and was told to slow it down a bit.
ZB93
7/16/2018 8:50am
Polar is the preferred heart rate monitor. Mine has been a huge help finding out what's happening on the bike, and being able to adjust workouts in the gym. Also helpful looking at the GPS maps online with speed and hr.

The Shop

ktmdan
7/16/2018 9:11am
The data is cool but I'm curious, what do you do with the data? Do you incorporate it into your training, anything else?
crusty_xx
Fantasy
207th
7/16/2018 9:14am
Garmin vivoactive. Does everything I need, and I don't feel it while riding because it's small.
Just the battery life could be a little better (for long Enduro riding). For MX it's good enough, lasts about 8h while recording activity
murph783
7/16/2018 9:14am
I’ve got a polar RC3 GPS, I use it for both moto and the gym. I love it for the heart rate data and all that, but I would like something that I could set to automatically take down lap times. As far as what I do with the data, I personally incorporate it into my training, adjust my cardio accordingly to where I feel like I’m falling short, sprints, duration, whatever I suck at on the track I’ll work a bit harder in the gym.
Slaughter612s
Fantasy
189th
7/16/2018 10:23am
Been wanting to pull the trigger on one for a while, to many options to choose from. Leaving toward Polar but the Garmin is looking good too. Thanks for more info.
Preston412
7/16/2018 10:37am
I use the polar A300 for HR data only and the Garmin Vivoactive for GPS stuff. Either one is a good choice depending on your wants.
Brad460
Fantasy
807th
7/16/2018 10:40am
ktmdan wrote:
The data is cool but I'm curious, what do you do with the data? Do you incorporate it into your training, anything else?
This is a good question- I have my own thoughts on what I’d do with the data, but curious what other people do with it.

I worry it would end up like my GoPro- hours of video but now what to do with it?! Now it sits collecting dust..
Monk
7/16/2018 11:04am
I use a Polar M430 and like it a lot.
+1.. I run the same unit and it's awesome for day to day tracking...
7/16/2018 11:17am
Monk wrote:
You can even set it up to record lap times which is nice.
ZB93
7/16/2018 11:17am
I have the Polar M200 and it's pretty sweet- HR monitoring without the chest strap which I prefer (very accurate I've tried it against another Polar and chest strap), gps mapping, speed, activity goals,and it syncs all data bluetooth to their app on your smartphone or computer. Battery lasts a few days if you're tracking rides/workouts every day, longer if you're not. Some of the better models have more features but the M200 has been more than enough for me. I've ran it for a bunch of races and practice days and it's held up surprisingly well. Took a rock to the screen that I heard while riding that I was sure obliterated the glass, just left a scratch. Only problem I've read on this model is the watch face pops out of the band to charge, and can pop out of the front of the band and get lost while riding. $120 on Amazon.
WarrenMX
7/16/2018 11:24am
I use a Garmin 935 with the motorsports app. I used to be a big Polar fan but they've really lagged behind in the last few years. If you query any cycling or running circles, you'll see that Garmin has become the brand of choice by a huge margin.

If you're familiar with Keefer testing from the PulpMX show, he actually talks about this in one of his podcasts. The podcast is called preparing for racing or something to that a effect. He uses a Garmin 910 I believe.
7/16/2018 11:25am
WarrenMX wrote:
I use a Garmin 935 with the motorsports app. I used to be a big Polar fan but they've really lagged behind in the last few...
I use a Garmin 935 with the motorsports app. I used to be a big Polar fan but they've really lagged behind in the last few years. If you query any cycling or running circles, you'll see that Garmin has become the brand of choice by a huge margin.

If you're familiar with Keefer testing from the PulpMX show, he actually talks about this in one of his podcasts. The podcast is called preparing for racing or something to that a effect. He uses a Garmin 910 I believe.
Keefer +1
Monk
7/16/2018 11:46am Edited Date/Time 7/16/2018 11:47am
Monk wrote:
You can even set it up to record lap times which is nice.
I run mine for offroad, works great...

Racer142
7/16/2018 3:58pm
Anybody heard of pyle sports? I was looking at the polar when I found this and it's $80 it the watch and chest strap. Anybody tried them?
Myke
Fantasy
2861st
7/16/2018 4:13pm
WarrenMX wrote:
I use a Garmin 935 with the motorsports app. I used to be a big Polar fan but they've really lagged behind in the last few...

Keefer +1
Keefer +2 Called blue collar race tips

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/steve-matthes/keefer-tested/e/54293905

I use a Garmin 645M with the motosports app. Love it! Fun looking at lap times and speed data.
KirkChandler
Fantasy
357th
7/16/2018 7:17pm
I use a Fitbit Ionic for hare scramble. Works great and is waterproof, which is a necessity for HS. I also have it connected to Strava...
I use a Fitbit Ionic for hare scramble. Works great and is waterproof, which is a necessity for HS. I also have it connected to Strava. Here is the type of readout you get:

Do you keep your phone in a fanny pack to use the GPS feature?

I’ve used my Fitbit Blaze while doing motos, but just put it on workout mode since it would disconnect from my phone in cycle mode. So it gave me heart rate and duration, calorie burn, etc.

A lot of times it just randomly shuts off during the moto though. I also had the screen get hit by a rock and break the screen.
bernnet
7/17/2018 12:01am
I also have Polar M430. Affordable and has great functionality.
7/17/2018 6:24am
Guys with polars, which sport profile do you use for moto? I mostly run with mine but im gonna bring it to the track next time
AJ565
7/17/2018 6:35am
ktmdan wrote:
Brad460 wrote:
This is a good question- I have my own thoughts on what I’d do with the data, but curious what other people do with it. I...
This is a good question- I have my own thoughts on what I’d do with the data, but curious what other people do with it.

I worry it would end up like my GoPro- hours of video but now what to do with it?! Now it sits collecting dust..
I use mine to track heart rate to track two things, hydration and a target for my workouts. On the hydration part of it I can tell if I was prepared well enough by looking at how high it gets. For me if I hydrated enough during the week then my heart rate is lower when riding on average. Not a lot, maybe 10-15 BPM, but enough to notice.

When I go to the gym for cardio I push hard to get the heart rate up to close to riding pace and then I back it down to maintain for a length of time. For example if my Garmin app shows I was in zone 5 (167+ BPM for me) then I try and get to 160-170 BPM on the row machine within the first 5 min and then keep that pace for another 25 min. It's helped the cardio aspect of my riding a lot in a very short amount of time. 5 lap sprints are no problem anymore (still working on a grip strength problem) and if I back it down to 75-80% then 30 min motos are something I've been able to start doing.
EastFlorida
7/17/2018 6:37am
I use a Fitbit Ionic for hare scramble. Works great and is waterproof, which is a necessity for HS. I also have it connected to Strava...

Do you keep your phone in a fanny pack to use the GPS feature? I’ve used my Fitbit Blaze while doing motos, but just put it...
Do you keep your phone in a fanny pack to use the GPS feature?

I’ve used my Fitbit Blaze while doing motos, but just put it on workout mode since it would disconnect from my phone in cycle mode. So it gave me heart rate and duration, calorie burn, etc.

A lot of times it just randomly shuts off during the moto though. I also had the screen get hit by a rock and break the screen.
I use the FitBit Ionic too. It has built in GPS so it doesn't need the phone...
murph783
7/17/2018 7:50am
Kx125rider wrote:
Guys with polars, which sport profile do you use for moto? I mostly run with mine but im gonna bring it to the track next time
I just put mine on other sport usually
kunk
Fantasy
3008th
7/17/2018 8:54am
The Garmin app has motocross to choose from when recording an activity. You can get really good deals on the fenix 3. I bought one with a metal band because I kept ripping the silicone bands in half running hare scrambles.
mx4all
7/17/2018 9:19am
I got s polar rc3 GPS but I prefer garmin since they got the lap times by GPS thing. It automatically takes your lap times when you passes your choosen starting point.
kNewc
7/17/2018 11:26am Edited Date/Time 7/17/2018 11:26am
If you are looking for a GPS watch (like a lot of guys are posting the Polar) you can get a very similar watch for super cheap called an Amazfit Bip. It has the same GPS and heart rate monitoring (without the chest strap) that most of these watches have. If you want simple lap timing and more fitness specific things (heart-rate monitor) then the watches are a great idea. You could use the watch and sync it up with MXBuddy if you wanted to a get a ball park range of your lap times too.

The biggest thing with these fitness/gps sensors is the HZ the GPS operates. Most of these are 1hz which is 1 location update per 1 second. Most of the GPS lap timers (LitPro, CrossBox) operate at 10hz+. So if you are wanting an accurate lap timer, you may be more interested in a GPS dongle like the XGPS160 and then an app like MXBuddy. Or get a LitPro. Pretty much all the watches work at 1hz. This isn't terrible and I can see my lap times pretty well operating at that. But if you are wanting to take 1 second off your lap times, you'll need something more accurate.

I have buddies that use the Polar and they work great! I was just wanting to show some cheaper options for those broke people out there like myself lol.

Post a reply to: Fitness trackers for moto

The Latest