Flexible boots

Edited Date/Time 1/12/2019 9:01am
I need a recommendation on some boots that are not real expensive but flexible. I was given an older pair of O’Neal boots. The are so stiff it makes changing gears ver difficult. Granted this coming from someone who has not worn boots in the past. Maybe that is just how it is wearing boots. Also, does it help to raise the shift lever? It is hard to bet my size 12 foot under it with boots on.
|
Taylor415
12/28/2018 10:58pm
"Flexible" boots sound like worn out boots. They aren't a pair of Vans Half Cabs, they are Moto boots. If never ridden with boots before learn to ride with them then make adjustments.
Question
12/29/2018 2:21am
Fox Comp 5, affordable, really comfortable and flexible (but less protective for big jumps or get offs).
CG118
12/29/2018 5:16am
The boots in the $100-200 range generally have fewer features, are a little lighter. Once broken-in, they are almost floppy, making them feel more flexible and much easier to feel the pegs, shifter, and brake.

You sacrifice some safety, but if you’re just learning, then that type of boot would be really comfy.

The Shop

Bearuno
12/29/2018 5:47am Edited Date/Time 12/29/2018 5:49am
There's quite a few , hinged at the ankle boots out there nowadays. And, not all of them are Megabucks.

I finally 'killed' my Sidi SRS boots this last few days. Got over 10 years out of them, before the foot / toe area plastics carked it. I shouldn't have left them near my TIG welder, for the last year or so. Dumbass........

Can't get new SRS's for a few weeks, so I just broke out a new set of Tech 7s. Well, new, 2013 models that I'd forgot I had in a cupboard. Bastard things have no ankle pivot, and are so bloody stiff. Not sure if my ruined knees and hips can take their stiffness.
ti473
12/29/2018 5:04pm
The newer O'Neal RDX boots were actually really good. I'm not sure if they still make them. But it was the only not I've ever worn that required basically no break in
1/1/2019 1:08pm
Got a pair of these off the shelf from a shop I was working at out of frustration and in desperation for a ride after I was sent the wrong size SIDI's twice by the supplier. Had for 2 years now and wearing well and comfortable. Hinge squeeks a little but could be lubed I'm sure. Can't hear it while riding! Happy to wear out until worn out. Previous boots are top of the line SIDI, AXO and A-Stars.
Other colours available too.

Gaerne G-React Black Boots
This boot incorporates aggressive styling and advanced technology that is sure to impress from the moment you slip your foot into the boot. Made in italy for unparalleled quality and performance, the all new uni-pivot offers more support and additional comfort. New rubber “grip guard” helps the rider hold his position on the bike as well as displace the heat from the pipe. The Gaerne G-React model has an ergonomic fit and an interior made ​​from microfibre, providing both protection and comfort.

Features:

New molded welt sole for lightweight feel.
New slimmer fit along with new microfibre interior and ergonomic liner all promise to deliver comfort and protection
4 alloy buckles with wider straps promise a secure closure
New gaitor will keep the debris out
Removable/replaceable anatomic footbed.
Made in Italy for unparalleled quality and performance.
Brtp4
1/1/2019 2:06pm
Get a boot with a GOOD hinge, I suggest Sidi X-3 or Gaerne SG-10. Other boots are quite good but these two have the softest hinge action.

Hope that helps.

BP
mototyme
Fantasy
4389th
1/1/2019 2:09pm Edited Date/Time 1/2/2019 8:00am
I need a recommendation on some boots that are not real expensive but flexible. I was given an older pair of O’Neal boots. The are so...
I need a recommendation on some boots that are not real expensive but flexible. I was given an older pair of O’Neal boots. The are so stiff it makes changing gears ver difficult. Granted this coming from someone who has not worn boots in the past. Maybe that is just how it is wearing boots. Also, does it help to raise the shift lever? It is hard to bet my size 12 foot under it with boots on.
If you wear size 12 boots then you can might consider trying an extended shift lever. You might try 5 or 10mm longer. With the extended shift lever you should not need a flexible boot to shift.
steed 2.0
1/2/2019 6:07am
Must be not so hard to find some discount crossfire 2 boots ($350,-)
or Acerbis which are cheaper and even more flexible. More...
kb228
1/2/2019 6:12am
I wear size 13 boots. I had to raise my shift lever. Shifting is done by basically lifting your entire foot. Using only your ankle isnt totally applicable until the boots are super broken in.
Carl 44
1/12/2019 6:19am
Alpinestars Supervictory boots. Super comfortable and still feel normal as far as having a stiff sole on the pegs. I wore them back in the day when they were the latest and greatest, and am happy to have them again some 30 years later. All modern boots feel stiff and have such a feel like a downhill ski boot. I haven’t tried the Gaerne boots they sound pretty good too. I am size 12 myself.
First pic is Hannah with that same boot in 1987.

1/12/2019 6:33am
Carl 44 wrote:
Alpinestars Supervictory boots. Super comfortable and still feel normal as far as having a stiff sole on the pegs. I wore them back in the day...
Alpinestars Supervictory boots. Super comfortable and still feel normal as far as having a stiff sole on the pegs. I wore them back in the day when they were the latest and greatest, and am happy to have them again some 30 years later. All modern boots feel stiff and have such a feel like a downhill ski boot. I haven’t tried the Gaerne boots they sound pretty good too. I am size 12 myself.

My brother had a couple of pairs of Super Victorys, broke a toe & twisted his ankle a good one. They give absolutely not ankle support whatsoever. He wears SG12's now.
dirtmike86
1/12/2019 6:47am
What is stopping you from going and trying them on at a bike shop? If all you care about is comfort and you aren't going to be going big or racing then just go find some that you like. Boots and helmets are the only two items you really should try on before buying.
ruy
1/12/2019 8:13am
Mr. Info wrote:
Tech 7 or Jett
Tech 7 Jorge Prado

1/12/2019 8:33am
Carl 44 wrote:
Alpinestars Supervictory boots. Super comfortable and still feel normal as far as having a stiff sole on the pegs. I wore them back in the day...

My brother had a couple of pairs of Super Victorys, broke a toe & twisted his ankle a good one. They give absolutely not ankle support...
My brother had a couple of pairs of Super Victorys, broke a toe & twisted his ankle a good one. They give absolutely not ankle support whatsoever. He wears SG12's now.
Have some ankle issues my self and SG12 are my go to boot. Nice and tight on the ankle...make me feel as safe as possible.
1/12/2019 9:00am
Got a pair of these off the shelf from a shop I was working at out of frustration and in desperation for a ride after I...
Got a pair of these off the shelf from a shop I was working at out of frustration and in desperation for a ride after I was sent the wrong size SIDI's twice by the supplier. Had for 2 years now and wearing well and comfortable. Hinge squeeks a little but could be lubed I'm sure. Can't hear it while riding! Happy to wear out until worn out. Previous boots are top of the line SIDI, AXO and A-Stars.
Other colours available too.

Gaerne G-React Black Boots
This boot incorporates aggressive styling and advanced technology that is sure to impress from the moment you slip your foot into the boot. Made in italy for unparalleled quality and performance, the all new uni-pivot offers more support and additional comfort. New rubber “grip guard” helps the rider hold his position on the bike as well as displace the heat from the pipe. The Gaerne G-React model has an ergonomic fit and an interior made ​​from microfibre, providing both protection and comfort.

Features:

New molded welt sole for lightweight feel.
New slimmer fit along with new microfibre interior and ergonomic liner all promise to deliver comfort and protection
4 alloy buckles with wider straps promise a secure closure
New gaitor will keep the debris out
Removable/replaceable anatomic footbed.
Made in Italy for unparalleled quality and performance.
I had some of these a handful of years ago. They are nice boots. The soles only lasted me about 20 hours before I bought tech 10s which the soles last 20 hours on as well, but I can change them myself. That tells me I'm hard on soles and these Gaerne's would work well for most people.
1/12/2019 9:01am
I bought a pair SG12's at the same time too as they was on at a decent price. My previous boot was Tech 8's, no real issue with support but I hated the buckles. The 12's feel snug, comfortable & supportive.

Post a reply to: Flexible boots

The Latest