Fox Boots...

What’s the word on the Instinct model?

Even the 180’s look nice.

I’ve always owned Alpinestars Tech 8’s. But the Fox’s have caught my attention.
|
Prntscrn
2/18/2018 9:52pm Edited Date/Time 2/18/2018 9:52pm
Once you go Sidi you'll never go back

Just putting it out there. Worth looking them up too
2/18/2018 10:10pm
Instincts are great boots, i have used them for few years now. Doesn't have the ankle support of tech 10s or sg12s though.
2/18/2018 10:12pm
I have 2 pairs and they're comfortable. Just a good boot. Haven't tried tech10/sg-12. Had sidi's before. Also a good boot but I like the instinct better

The Shop

2/18/2018 10:18pm
Prntscrn wrote:

What makes the Sidi’s so good in your opinion?
Agent717
2/18/2018 10:22pm
Sidi without a doubt. Insanely light and good ankle support. My only hang up is the SRS 2 was awesome and I’m not as big of a fan of the new boot.
yz133rider
2/18/2018 10:23pm
Prntscrn wrote:

Dont get them. Massive weakness under the hinge. Laterally essentially zero support. Spent 6 months in a cast non weight bearing when i cased a jump that wasnt even that bad. I know without a doubt the boots let it happen.

Check out a pair put your thumb under the hinge and give it a pull/push side to side and see how easily it gives.

Try it with a pair of tech 10s and see the difference.

bennytree
2/18/2018 10:29pm

I would highly recommend trying a pair on, I thought the same about the Instincts, tried some on and hated them. Way too tight so I had to upsize a pair and still didn't like them I then tried on some Tech 7s and loved them from the get go. Have a few rides in my Tech 7s and LOVE THEM!
2/18/2018 10:38pm

bennytree wrote:
I would highly recommend trying a pair on, I thought the same about the Instincts, tried some on and hated them. Way too tight so I...
I would highly recommend trying a pair on, I thought the same about the Instincts, tried some on and hated them. Way too tight so I had to upsize a pair and still didn't like them I then tried on some Tech 7s and loved them from the get go. Have a few rides in my Tech 7s and LOVE THEM!
Im actually pretty intrigued by the Tech 7’s as well. They seem like they’re a lighter version of the Tech 10?

More flex. No booty. Less bulky. Sounds like my kind of boot.
Lynch
2/18/2018 10:40pm Edited Date/Time 2/18/2018 10:40pm
Prntscrn wrote:

This is my opinion on the Sidi boots:

+ Fixed ankle, feels safe when you try them on and ride with
+ You can change almost everything on the boots, not only soles and buckles
+ Prices are quite good compared to other highend boots (atleast in Sweden)

- The screws that you may need to replace when changing soles are expensive
- Your feet might hurt the first couple of rides (off the bike not on it)
- They don't fit everyones feet

With that said I will most likely move to Tech 10's if I can get good deals on them even though I have used Sidi's for the last 5 years.

I would never buy a pair of Instincts or Tech 7's, sure they are really comfortable but they are way to soft for me to trust.
Prntscrn
2/18/2018 11:36pm
Prntscrn wrote:

It's just the perfect combination of mobility(A+), protection and support. They are comfy from day 1 until the day you decide to throw them away. I've been running Sidi for the past 15 years or so with shorter periods of trying different brands because of good deals but always came back. Maybe they just fit the shape of my feet perfectly but nothing I've tried has even come close.

But just like with helmets go try on different ones before you buy a pair.
Motofinne
2/19/2018 12:26am Edited Date/Time 2/19/2018 1:20am
The Fox Instincts are the most comfortable boots out there but there are negatives.

Pros:
1. Light
2. The most comfortable boot out there
3. The sole provides a lot of grip

Cons:
1. The ankle protection is in my opinion worse than almost all of its competitors
2. The boot got really soft quickly, that made the protection even worse.
3. You can only use Fox or Shift gear with Fox boots(yes i'm with JT and Keefer on this topic).

I think this is the best boot for enduro or offroad riding but it didn't provide enough ankle stability and protection for me personally(i ride 95% moto). I ride with Tech 10s. Mainly because they provide the best ankle support/protection. Yeah they aren't the lightest and most comfortable but i'm happy to trade that away for the best available protection.
tempura
2/19/2018 1:14am
Prntscrn wrote:

LOL... I moved on quickly from Sidi. Absolutely lacking in ankle support.
If you do already have a weak ankle, it's noticeable. Tech 10's are the best all round boot out there, and the ankle support is probably the best out there. They don't hold up as well, but not so bad. I happily sacrifice that for the protection.
Jmicmoto13
2/19/2018 3:52am
yz133rider wrote:
Dont get them. Massive weakness under the hinge. Laterally essentially zero support. Spent 6 months in a cast non weight bearing when i cased a jump...
Dont get them. Massive weakness under the hinge. Laterally essentially zero support. Spent 6 months in a cast non weight bearing when i cased a jump that wasnt even that bad. I know without a doubt the boots let it happen.

Check out a pair put your thumb under the hinge and give it a pull/push side to side and see how easily it gives.

Something is missing from this story or something. So YOU came up short on a jump, not the boots fault, that “wasn’t even that bad” and spent 6 months in a cast? Sounds like your case was a lot worse than you are letting on. And the statement that you know it’s the boots fault is just foolish. Maybe if you landed on the down side of the jump you wouldn’t have that opinion? My Crossfire2’s have saved me plenty from overjumps, underjumps and trail tree encounters. Love my Sidis.
JoePit
2/19/2018 4:06am Edited Date/Time 2/19/2018 4:08am
The Sidi Crossfire 3's are my choice after shattering my ankle in Tech 7's. If you have a wider foot get the TA model and not the SRS. The only difference is sole replacement on the TA's need to be done by a cobbler as they are stitched on. Tech 7's are amazingly comfortable, even more so than my Instincts, but they lack ankle support in my opinion. By the way I was not a big fan of the Insticts. I even sized up one and they hurt the tops of my foot/ankle area.
Tuna
2/19/2018 4:23am
Prntscrn wrote:

Lol, I’ve gone back. Not everyone can fit in Sidi boots.
Tuna
2/19/2018 4:29am
Instincts are my go to boots. I have 3 pairs now and have had about 6 total. I’ve had every major high end boot. Instinct fit my feet the best. They are light, comfortable, soles don’t wear down too quickly. Ankle support is more than adequate. I shattered the side of my foot in a pair of SG10’s. After it healed I hit my foot the exact same way and no issues. Boots are like helmets, personal. As for the matching gear issue that’s BS, I don’t own any Fox gear other than by boots. I wear Klim and FXR.
Support from Fox is fantastic for any warranty issues.
If you want a boot that has awesome mobility and feel, they are the best. Best for brake, shifter and peg feel. SG12 is a great boot but feels like a brick on your feet.
Tuna
2/19/2018 4:33am
Prntscrn wrote:

tempura wrote:
LOL... I moved on quickly from Sidi. Absolutely lacking in ankle support. If you do already have a weak ankle, it's noticeable. Tech 10's are the...
If you do already have a weak ankle, it's noticeable. Tech 10's are the best all round boot out there, and the ankle support is probably the best out there. They don't hold up as well, but not so bad. I happily sacrifice that for the protection.
Tech 10 does have the best ankle support. I’m not a fan of the way they fit and the booty ankle support but they do lead the class in ankle support.
Tuna
2/19/2018 4:35am

bennytree wrote:
I would highly recommend trying a pair on, I thought the same about the Instincts, tried some on and hated them. Way too tight so I...
Im actually pretty intrigued by the Tech 7’s as well. They seem like they’re a lighter version of the Tech 10? More flex. No booty. Less...
Im actually pretty intrigued by the Tech 7’s as well. They seem like they’re a lighter version of the Tech 10?

Too soft, not enough ankle support and protection. Comfy boot but too soft.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
2/19/2018 6:03am
Motofinne wrote:
The Fox Instincts are the most comfortable boots out there but there are negatives. Pros: 1. Light 2. The most comfortable boot out there 3. The...
The Fox Instincts are the most comfortable boots out there but there are negatives.

Pros:
1. Light
2. The most comfortable boot out there
3. The sole provides a lot of grip

Cons:
1. The ankle protection is in my opinion worse than almost all of its competitors
2. The boot got really soft quickly, that made the protection even worse.
3. You can only use Fox or Shift gear with Fox boots(yes i'm with JT and Keefer on this topic).

I think this is the best boot for enduro or offroad riding but it didn't provide enough ankle stability and protection for me personally(i ride 95% moto). I ride with Tech 10s. Mainly because they provide the best ankle support/protection. Yeah they aren't the lightest and most comfortable but i'm happy to trade that away for the best available protection.
Agree X 2 with the Pros and cons.
yz133rider
2/19/2018 7:27am
yz133rider wrote:
Dont get them. Massive weakness under the hinge. Laterally essentially zero support. Spent 6 months in a cast non weight bearing when i cased a jump...

Jmicmoto13 wrote:
Something is missing from this story or something. So YOU came up short on a jump, not the boots fault, that “wasn’t even that bad” and...
Something is missing from this story or something. So YOU came up short on a jump, not the boots fault, that “wasn’t even that bad” and spent 6 months in a cast? Sounds like your case was a lot worse than you are letting on. And the statement that you know it’s the boots fault is just foolish. Maybe if you landed on the down side of the jump you wouldn’t have that opinion? My Crossfire2’s have saved me plenty from overjumps, underjumps and trail tree encounters. Love my Sidis.
Do what i said and check out the lateral support amd see for yourself. My ankle dislocated sideways from the lack of lateral support. Tore all the ligaments and mangled itself good.

Do what i said and tell me that isnt a glaring fault
yz133rider
2/19/2018 7:31am
Prntscrn wrote:

tempura wrote:
LOL... I moved on quickly from Sidi. Absolutely lacking in ankle support. If you do already have a weak ankle, it's noticeable. Tech 10's are the...
Tuna wrote:
Tech 10 does have the best ankle support. I’m not a fan of the way they fit and the booty ankle support but they do lead...
Tech 10 does have the best ankle support. I’m not a fan of the way they fit and the booty ankle support but they do lead the class in ankle support.
You guys get it. Sidis always get rave reviews but the ankle support is massivley lacking...tech 10s always get thrashed in reviews lacking comfort and whatever but they do the best job of keeping your ankles in tact and that's my main concern really.
kkawboy14
2/19/2018 7:34am Edited Date/Time 2/19/2018 7:34am
I have the yellow and white. I like that on the outside of the boot they are smaller than other boots at the foot, comfortable but they squeak when you walk.....if that’s a problem for somebody
2/19/2018 7:43am Edited Date/Time 2/19/2018 7:44am
Sprained my ankle real bad in instincts. And the clips break. They’re probably great if Fox is giving you a pair every race.

Love my Sidi crossfire two. But i sheared off one of the replaceable parts in the first 3 rides and it made it non replaceable. Sidi sent me the replaceable parts but again....the boots are fucked so who cares, won’t work?

Might go gaerne. The Italian boots imo hold up better. Even with the hiccup I had with my crossfire’s they’re still wearable and provide great support.
Zaugg
2/19/2018 7:51am
I can't believe people don't try on boots before buying them. Most places online will allow you to return them without hassle so "They're not available locally" isn't an excuse.

These thread pop up about boots/ neck braces/ knee braces/ etc. with the same result. Fan-boys cheering for their favorite brands.

So for those of you handing out advice, maybe instead of being a fan-boy for your favorite boot brand, offer ideas of what to look for when purchasing a boot.

Maybe Michael can do a story on what to look for in an entry level, intermediate, and advanced boot to help people make solid buying choices.

2/19/2018 8:08am
bennytree wrote:
Im actually pretty intrigued by the Tech 7’s as well. They seem like they’re a lighter version of the Tech 10? More flex. No booty. Less...

Tuna wrote:
Too soft, not enough ankle support and protection. Comfy boot but too soft.
Hmmm. Ok. I appreciate the insight.

My main concern is preventing a crash. And the more confortable the boot the less likely I am to crash.

If the Tech 10’s are that bulky/heavy, they may save me in a crash but they’re likely to help cause one. That’s a net loss in my book.
yz133rider
2/19/2018 8:13am
Hmmm. Ok. I appreciate the insight. My main concern is preventing a crash. And the more confortable the boot the less likely I am to crash...
Hmmm. Ok. I appreciate the insight.

My main concern is preventing a crash. And the more confortable the boot the less likely I am to crash.

If the Tech 10’s are that bulky/heavy, they may save me in a crash but they’re likely to help cause one. That’s a net loss in my book.
Seriously? Tech 10 has never caused me to crash. Over thinking that one. If thats the case wear sneakers. Tech 10s are the best protection.

Post a reply to: Fox Boots...

The Latest