Fros focus

2/13/2018 1:59pm Edited Date/Time 2/21/2018 6:42am
So Emig stated at least twice that the reason for Barcia dropping back in the SD main was that he had lost his focus. It turns out he lost his rear brake. It seems that everything is related to focus or confidence. Are Ralph and Jeff so one lined they can't consider an option?
|
SoCalMX70
2/13/2018 2:00pm
Track wasnt one lined, for sure yeah no.
ATKpilot99
2/13/2018 2:02pm
He lost his focus due to losing his rear brake ? In any case looks like the beginning of another Emig/Ralph bash fest.
2/13/2018 2:06pm
ATKpilot99 wrote:
He lost his focus due to losing his rear brake ? In any case looks like the beginning of another Emig/Ralph bash fest.
Not trying to bash, I would just like to hear plausible options and insight from at least one expert (Fro) instead of focus and concentration.
2/13/2018 2:10pm
This shit is getting old. Fro and Ralph do an excellent job making the sport relatable to new fans and casuals. Sorry they don't appease to all the ex pro racers on the vitalmx boards. How was he supposed to know his rear brake was out? He's going off what he saw live from a press box, anyone who's followed Barcia's career thought the same thing.

The Shop

zehn
2/13/2018 2:11pm
This shit is getting old. Fro and Ralph do an excellent job making the sport relatable to new fans and casuals. Sorry they don't appease to...
This shit is getting old. Fro and Ralph do an excellent job making the sport relatable to new fans and casuals. Sorry they don't appease to all the ex pro racers on the vitalmx boards. How was he supposed to know his rear brake was out? He's going off what he saw live from a press box, anyone who's followed Barcia's career thought the same thing.
This guy gets it
BobbyM
2/13/2018 2:16pm
Emig is a terrible announcer, hesitation between words and even between words. Just listen to him.
NorCal 50+
2/13/2018 2:16pm
It is literally the only reason Jeff pretty much states for everything- "mental error."
I was listening to the Super Bowl to see if I could pick up on good announcing. I notice they are not afraid at all to "pre-call" a play's outcome and throw all kinds of personal opinions in there. They also have a lot of knowledge on the individual riders. that they can pull up instantly. They aren't like "hey, what's that guy's number..hmmm.....looks like...."
Last week they fixed the most glaring and ridiculous problem- silence from Ralph and Jeff on the first lap because they don't know how is leading the freaking race.
There is very little that Jeff or Ralph say that isn't obvious to anybody watching. Tell us something we don't know guys -- that is kind of the point of having you there.
But I never get the revisionist history saying Art Eckman was great- he was fucking terrible. He got pretty much everything wrong, and had very little knowledge except stats he looked up. He was good at creating excitement in a cheesy, old-fashioned way. I like Despain.
2/13/2018 2:21pm
This shit is getting old. Fro and Ralph do an excellent job making the sport relatable to new fans and casuals. Sorry they don't appease to...
I was just asking if it was possible for them to consider a plausible option other than focus and concentration. Of course Ralph and Jeff can't KNOW what's happening short of an engine spewing. As for Barcia's career, I guess he's such a head case that the ONLY reason he would fade is because of lack of focus. My bad.
DownSouth
2/13/2018 2:24pm
The most hilarious part of last weeks broadcast was when Marv ran it in on Anderson after the whoops on lap one and Emig quipped "that was odd." I'm pretty sure they remember Anderson knocking Marv down last week but not a single reference to that incident to explain an out of character move by Musquin.
Betuel
2/13/2018 2:33pm
DownSouth wrote:
The most hilarious part of last weeks broadcast was when Marv ran it in on Anderson after the whoops on lap one and Emig quipped "that...
The most hilarious part of last weeks broadcast was when Marv ran it in on Anderson after the whoops on lap one and Emig quipped "that was odd." I'm pretty sure they remember Anderson knocking Marv down last week but not a single reference to that incident to explain an out of character move by Musquin.
I’m sure he knew but didn’t want to create drama so that was the first thing that came out of his mouth since everything happens so fast and he’s probably not as good at verbal eloquence as others.
SoCalMX70
2/13/2018 2:35pm
NorCal 50+ wrote:
It is literally the only reason Jeff pretty much states for everything- "mental error." I was listening to the Super Bowl to see if I could...
It is literally the only reason Jeff pretty much states for everything- "mental error."
I was listening to the Super Bowl to see if I could pick up on good announcing. I notice they are not afraid at all to "pre-call" a play's outcome and throw all kinds of personal opinions in there. They also have a lot of knowledge on the individual riders. that they can pull up instantly. They aren't like "hey, what's that guy's number..hmmm.....looks like...."
Last week they fixed the most glaring and ridiculous problem- silence from Ralph and Jeff on the first lap because they don't know how is leading the freaking race.
There is very little that Jeff or Ralph say that isn't obvious to anybody watching. Tell us something we don't know guys -- that is kind of the point of having you there.
But I never get the revisionist history saying Art Eckman was great- he was fucking terrible. He got pretty much everything wrong, and had very little knowledge except stats he looked up. He was good at creating excitement in a cheesy, old-fashioned way. I like Despain.
Art Eckman was good imo. I still watch rewatch races from the 90s into the early 2000s. Yes he made mistakes, but he was very good at getting the message across with convincing excitement...MOST IMPORTANTLY he was perfect at leaving openings for Bailey to bring the details/color in. I think that is what made it good perhaps... They were just such a good duo. Everything flowed soooo smoothly. Awkward pauses? Fumbling for words? When? That never happened!

I actually really enjoyed the random stats Art brought to the table as well. Maybe I'm not listening as closely these days as I used to, but I can't remember the last time I heard something like "The last time Yamaha won in this venue was 2008. The winningest manufacturer here is Honda". How about the winningest rider in certain cities? Does that even get mentioned? Then again, maybe no one cares about that kind of insight anymore. Everything is just what happened today or last week...
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
2/13/2018 2:36pm
I see a lot of mental error in these threads. Wink

Where'd that thread go with a chance for people to provide their own sample tapes?
2/13/2018 2:36pm
BobbyM wrote:
Emig is a terrible announcer, hesitation between words and even between words. Just listen to him.
Classic, your words didn't come out right while you were trying to put him down for his words not coming out right.

I still can't believe so many of you guys are so effected by what they say in the booth. I tune out most of it because it's mostly nonsense, just like any other sport.

Except when David Bailey was in there...
2/13/2018 2:41pm
NorCal 50+ wrote:
It is literally the only reason Jeff pretty much states for everything- "mental error." I was listening to the Super Bowl to see if I could...
I may be wrong, but didn't Eckman, Bailey and even Despain dub over the video in a production facility and not on live broadcast?
2/13/2018 2:42pm
Classic, your words didn't come out right while you were trying to put him down for his words not coming out right. I still can't believe...
Classic, your words didn't come out right while you were trying to put him down for his words not coming out right.

I still can't believe so many of you guys are so effected by what they say in the booth. I tune out most of it because it's mostly nonsense, just like any other sport.

Bailey was awesome, imo.
SoCalMX70
2/13/2018 2:45pm Edited Date/Time 2/13/2018 2:46pm
I may be wrong, but didn't Eckman, Bailey and even Despain dub over the video in a production facility and not on live broadcast?
They were live to tape in the SX races, but dubbed over days later for outdoors.

Also, with some of the older (late 90s) SX races, when they aired a week later and had time they would sometimes go back and fill in a section or 2. You can totally tell when they asked Art to do an intro to bring the race back from commercial or something like that because his voice sounded a lot different for those few seconds. Every once in awhile it was during action in the race, perhaps to correct a glaring error or fill in dead air.
Bigfoot
2/13/2018 2:46pm
Bring back this guy!
David Bailey!

flyinb501
Fantasy
392nd
2/13/2018 2:53pm
BobbyM wrote:
Classic, your words didn't come out right while you were trying to put him down for his words not coming out right. I still can't believe...

We are affected because we want the broadcast to be the best it can be in order to grow the sport. If you don't think the commentating is seriously lacking, then I don't know what to tell you. Every thing else about the TV package is fantastic.
motogrady
2/13/2018 2:54pm Edited Date/Time 2/13/2018 2:57pm
Microphones in every riders helmet, transmitting and receiving to the pits, monitored by the guys in the booth, ala NASCAR.

Problem solved.

And don't bring up the cost thing, every other touring bike that I see has an old guy talking to his wife with them.
NorCal 50+
2/13/2018 2:58pm Edited Date/Time 2/13/2018 2:58pm
GuyB wrote:
I see a lot of mental error in these threads. Wink

Where'd that thread go with a chance for people to provide their own sample tapes?
When the Challenger blew up, did NASA say "Hey, why don't you go design a rocketship?"
When they printed "Dewey Defeats Truman" on the front page of the paper when Truman won, did they say "Hey, why don't you go start a newspaper if you can do it better."
When a pro racer tells his team manager that his forks suck, does the manager say "you should have seen what we were riding in 1979. You should be happy with these -- no matter what."

Kenny Lingus
2/13/2018 2:59pm
I remember Weedge saying that during the Nationals he and Langston each got in trouble for talking about things that weren't their job. Like Weedge talking about technical stuff or Langston calling a battle. I imagine Fro is on a leash of some sort because he has been better in the past. I also imagine they work for Fox sports not Feld.
DEMONDAVE
2/13/2018 3:01pm
motogrady wrote:
Microphones in every riders helmet, transmitting and receiving to the pits, monitored by the guys in the booth, ala NASCAR. Problem solved. And don't bring up...
Microphones in every riders helmet, transmitting and receiving to the pits, monitored by the guys in the booth, ala NASCAR.

Problem solved.

And don't bring up the cost thing, every other touring bike that I see has an old guy talking to his wife with them.
stop trying to make sense , remember where you are
Matt Wozney
2/13/2018 3:01pm
Not much Fro’s fault but the pit reporter or another TV staff member on the floor or spotting from somewhere not getting the info during the race. Saying “he lost focus” is a non-answer to fill time. Maybe access to radio communication from the teams would help this? It was tough to see what was going on watching live on TV to make a judgement. Plus keep in mind, the races go quick becuase many things are going on at the same time....especially how the races have been this year.

I think a live post show of some sort needs to happen from the pits or something to assess all that happened right after the race instead of doing the podiums and call it a night. Cover more of the other riders than just who ended up at the press conference. (Like TWMX’s feature they do.) There’s always a lot of questions needed to be answered after every race. Why not keep the show going? Switch it to FS2 if needed due to programming. Or live on YouTube. Could be good stuff.
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
2/13/2018 3:03pm Edited Date/Time 2/13/2018 3:05pm
NorCal 50+ wrote:
When the Challenger blew up, did NASA say "Hey, why don't you go design a rocketship?" When they printed "Dewey Defeats Truman" on the front page...
When the Challenger blew up, did NASA say "Hey, why don't you go design a rocketship?"
When they printed "Dewey Defeats Truman" on the front page of the paper when Truman won, did they say "Hey, why don't you go start a newspaper if you can do it better."
When a pro racer tells his team manager that his forks suck, does the manager say "you should have seen what we were riding in 1979. You should be happy with these -- no matter what."

Well, I don't go to McDonald's and tell people how to do their jobs.

Also, I know I've got lots of gray hair, and I'm not sure how old you think I am, but I wasn't around when Truman won. Wink

I'd guess that Keith McCarty might use the, "You should have seen what we were riding in 1979. You should be happy with these -- no matter what," line. Wink
NorCal 50+
2/13/2018 3:07pm
NorCal 50+ wrote:
When the Challenger blew up, did NASA say "Hey, why don't you go design a rocketship?" When they printed "Dewey Defeats Truman" on the front page...

GuyB wrote:
Well, I don't go to McDonald's and tell people how to do their jobs. Also, I know I've got lots of gray hair, and I'm not...
Well, I don't go to McDonald's and tell people how to do their jobs.

Also, I know I've got lots of gray hair, and I'm not sure how old you think I am, but I wasn't around when Truman won. Wink

I'd guess that Keith McCarty might use the, "You should have seen what we were riding in 1979. You should be happy with these -- no matter what," line. Wink
I didn't think you were quite that old. Silly
The McDonald's analogy kind of proves my point. Because people can't make a Big Mac, they can't complain about their Big Mac? (Full disclosure, I did work at McDonalds and can actually make one) And I do pay to watch Supercross.
BobbyM
2/13/2018 3:12pm
BobbyM wrote:

Oh I don't givea shit what the announcing is like because I love scooter racing and watching it but going from David Bailey to Jeff emig is not progress.
2/13/2018 3:20pm
BobbyM wrote:
Oh I don't givea shit what the announcing is like because I love scooter racing and watching it but going from David Bailey to Jeff emig...
Oh I don't givea shit what the announcing is like because I love scooter racing and watching it but going from David Bailey to Jeff emig is not progress.
Amen, brother!
2/13/2018 3:24pm
These threads trashing Fro and Ralph are a little off base I think. For the last 2 or 3 years, mainly since Fox sports took over the broadcasts, there have been problems in the production of the live race action, such as, breaking away from a battle at the wrong time, not going to a battle at the right time (you will often hear the crowd cheer so you know we missed something.) I think if the producers and or director were more familiar with the sport these things wouldn't happen, and I think Ralph and Fro catch the blame for it. I think Fro made a guess with Barcia, but they didn't stay with Barcia to observe any possible other issues like a bike problem. A good producer would have the pit reporter go talk to Barcias mechanic to find out if anything was wrong, and then maybe go to the pit reporter for that info. That's something that used to happen. I do think Fro follows live timing, maybe on his phone, or a tablet, and he often let's us know who's laying down fast laps or dropping. So, before people judge harshly, there could be a lot more going on behind the scenes that we don't know and that maybe if it weren't for Fro and Ralph and their knowledge, the broadcasts may be a real disaster. Keep on doing your best Fro and Ralph, I enjoy your efforts.
VET74
2/13/2018 3:24pm
BobbyM wrote:
Oh I don't givea shit what the announcing is like because I love scooter racing and watching it but going from David Bailey to Jeff emig...
We get it, you love Bailey, but he isn't coming back so get over it. Bailey was just ok IMO. Both guys know the sport, but he wasn't always perfect either. Like I said before, if you really like racing just turn the volumn off and watch it. Pretty easy to bash anyone doing what they do, as it's impossible to be right every time.
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1062nd
2/13/2018 3:28pm
He talks about focus here...Laughing

Post a reply to: Fros focus

The Latest