1 of 7
Related:
Create New Tag
500guy 500guy
2/6/2020 7:20 AM

Wonder what the back story is.

From Gary's Facebook

To all my fans and friends,

I wanted to reach out to everyone regarding the recent sale of my championship winning motorcycles.

It is with great sadness that I acknowledge that these bikes are gone from my personal possession. This came as a complete shock and surprise to me. I had always assumed they were safely stored and at some point in my life I would decide where they would finally go; be it to my children, my friends or a place of my choice.

Life has its ups and downs, including family relationships. All families have their trials and tribulations which are usually resolved through love, compassion and communication. It takes an enormous amount of support from family and friends to become a pioneer within the sport and a four-time National Motocross Champion. For this I am forever grateful to all of those involved in my success. That being said, I am deeply saddened and disappointed with certain actions taken by a few of my immediate family members.

In regards to the recent transaction of my championship motorcycles, I will only say one thing. There are two sides to every coin.

I unequivocally state that at no time was I notified of the meeting, a financial transaction or transport of my winning motorcycles and other personal racing memorabilia including helmets, jerseys, trophies, etc. Unfortunately, I was not aware of the sale until after the fact. I also go on record stating the motorcycles, and other items have been asked to be purchased multiple times from a certain individual before and after the passing of my father and brother, Don and DeWayne Jones. My answer has always been no.

I was not contacted at any point to be given the opportunity to accept or decline the sale of my motorcycles. From a personal standpoint, I am disappointed the buyer of the motorcycles was not civil or professional enough to contact me at any point. This suggests the buyer knew I would not approve of the sale. I received no financial compensation; this has nothing to do with money, but everything to do with integrity.

There is an unparalleled passion between man, machine and material when it comes to racing. This has created a close emotional connection for the memorabilia I have acquired over the years, such as helmets, jerseys, trophies and motorcycles. What makes these items valuable is the rider, such as myself, not the materialistic worth. Without my story and success, these items are worthless.

In conclusion, I do not approve or condone the display of my championship winning motorcycles or memorabilia associated with my motocross career in any sort of presentation without my prior approval. Requesting approval is the ethical thing to do, “ask before you take.”

I send nothing but my deepest gratitude towards my fans and friends for their unwavering support. Like any racer, when you fall you get back up. I will continue to move forward in a positive manner with a smile on my face. I wish the buyer well and reply, “just because it’s legal, doesn’t make it right.”

See you all at the track!

mauidex mauidex
2/6/2020 7:31 AM

sounds like Good took advantage of a family squabble and bought the bikes from Garys family and not him??

Momus Momus
2/6/2020 7:32 AM

Terry Good has these bikes.

According to Terry they were sold to him by Don Jones estate in a contract negotiated many years ago.

Don and his wife fully sponsored Gary and DeWayne and owned the said machines and equipment.

If the glass is half full it's twice as big as it needs to be.

500guy 500guy
2/6/2020 7:33 AM
mauidex wrote:

sounds like Good took ...more

The best I can tell the Buyer knew Gary wouldn't sell and went around him to Gary's 93 yr old Mother and possibly sisters, to get it done.

Probably Legal but very under handed.

Forty Forty
2/6/2020 7:35 AM

Something is rotten.

Ghostrider145 Ghostrider145
2/6/2020 7:48 AM

Nothing spoils the integrity of a human like money...

Ghost

slipdog slipdog
2/6/2020 7:50 AM

Hasn't this happened before?

tydog tydog
2/6/2020 7:55 AM

True colors shown again by some it appears

face biter face biter
2/6/2020 8:23 AM

Did he mention who the legal owner of the stuff was, and if they’re the one who sold them?

kkawboy14 kkawboy14
2/6/2020 8:27 AM

How does a guy not know his stuff is sold.....if it’s his stuff?

I know where all my stuff is and what’s going on with it!

fourfourone fourfourone
2/6/2020 8:29 AM

Basically saying he had no idea where they were but is now mad they are for sale. GTFO

It is with great sadness that I acknowledge that these bikes are gone from my personal possession. This came as a complete shock and surprise to me. I had always assumed they were safely stored and at some point in my life I would decide where they would finally go; be it to my children, my friends or a place of my choice

Chance1216 Chance1216
2/6/2020 8:30 AM
mauidex wrote:

sounds like Good took ...more

500guy wrote:

The best I can tell the ...more

That so messed up. Saddest thing is when family is involved. I unfortunately know this firsthand.

Dirty Points Dirty Points
2/6/2020 8:32 AM
face biter wrote:

Did he mention who the ...more

Sounds like Don Jones was the owner of the bikes all along, and they were in his estate

It doesn't sound like they were ever Gary's, though he may have a sentimental attachment to them and may have expected he'd end up with them.

LungButter LungButter
2/6/2020 8:34 AM

Lame.

Gary is good people and he wouldn't put something out like that if he didn't feel very wronged.

I love money as much as the next guy and do everything in my power to acquire as much of it as possible...but damn it makes people do some shitty things sometimes.

face biter face biter
2/6/2020 8:35 AM
face biter wrote:

Dirty Points wrote:

Sounds like Don Jones was ...more

It does sound like that is what happened, and I can appreciate the disappointment he is feeling.

Brent Brent
2/6/2020 8:37 AM

Question is, who signed the release on the title? It can only be the registered owner in California.

motomike137 motomike137
2/6/2020 8:38 AM

This stinks! Gary was a hero of mine in the seventies and then I had the pleasure of competing with him and talking his ear off a few years back at LL. As LungButter stated Gary is a damn good guy and doesn't deserve this kind of treatment.

Natester551v Natester551v
2/6/2020 8:39 AM

Gary handled it with class, as is his way.

Money corrupts people that you would think were better than that. Sad truth....

Momus Momus
2/6/2020 8:41 AM
face biter wrote:

Dirty Points wrote:

It gets murkier.

Apparently Gary Jones is being asked to return a couple of bikes he rode didn't own but managed to remove from Don's estate and return them to the rightful new owner.

Jeremy Macbeth Jeremy Macbeth
2/6/2020 8:49 AM

Sounds like "my motorcycles" really means "their/his motorcycles"

2/6/2020 8:51 AM
Jeremy Macbeth wrote:

Sounds like "my ...more

You ride a bike to a pro championship, and I think you've earned forever calling it "my motorcycle", regardless of whose name is on the title.

Jeremy Macbeth Jeremy Macbeth
2/6/2020 8:53 AM
Dirty Points wrote:

You ride a bike to a pro ...more

Not when it comes to legal ownership and the right to sell them. Sentimental ownership isn't a legal construct.

2/6/2020 8:54 AM
Jeremy Macbeth wrote:

Sounds like "my ...more

Dirty Points wrote:

You ride a bike to a pro ...more

Jeremy Macbeth wrote:

Not when it comes to legal ...more

For sure, and he acknowledeges the legality in the same letter that he uses "my motorcycle"

OldPro277 OldPro277
2/6/2020 9:09 AM

I don't know Terry Good at all, however what I read about him he seems like a good egg. Seems very odd to pull an under-handed move like that.

But-- if Gary's story is true that Terry tried multiple times to buy the collection from Gary and was rejected each time , maybe he did find the "loophole" and went directly to Mom, which would show very weak character.

Also- even if Don did "officially" own the bikes, you'd think his Will would have bequeathed the racing items to his boys (the ones that used them and made them famous) . Something certainly is rotten in Denmark

BobbyM BobbyM
2/6/2020 9:22 AM
500guy wrote:

Wonder what the back story ...more

So he didn't "own" the scooters and never paid for the titles or ownership of these units in question I assume. Sounds like he wasn't in possession of the items, therefore he had no say? Bummer.

2/6/2020 9:53 AM
OldPro277 wrote:

I don't know Terry Good at ...more

If Mom owns the bikes, I really don't see how Gary has any ability to "reject" anything, other than working that out with Mom.

g0rd057 g0rd057
2/6/2020 9:57 AM
Dirty Points wrote:

Makes you wonder why Gary’s mother wouldn’t give him first chance to buy them.
Did she have financial issues ?

2/6/2020 9:59 AM
face biter wrote:

Dirty Points wrote:

g0rd057 wrote:

Makes you wonder why Gary’ ...more

Honestly, doesn't matter. They're her bikes. She can sell them for whatever reason she wants to whoever she wants.

Momus Momus
2/6/2020 10:03 AM

She didn't own the bikes.

Her late husbands estate did and apparently had a contract to sell them to Good.

Forty Forty
2/6/2020 10:04 AM

Greed will always show up.....count on it. Doesn't matter friends/family/etc....greed is always in the room.

btn
btn
1 of 7

Post a Reply

Cool Wink Smile Tongue Laughing Shocked Sick Angry Blink Sad Unsure Kissing Woohoo Grinning Silly Pinch Sideways Whistling Evil Dizzy Blush Cheerful Huh Dry