Gary Jones not happy with His Bikes & memorabilia being sold without his Permission?

FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
2/7/2020 11:08am Edited Date/Time 2/7/2020 11:17am
Momus wrote:
What Peter Villicaro wrote fits in quite closely with the open letter that Terry Good posted on Facebook, and now, unfortunately, seems to have been removed...
What Peter Villicaro wrote fits in quite closely with the open letter that Terry Good posted on Facebook, and now, unfortunately, seems to have been removed.

Compared to Gary's letter Good used more precise, business like language.

He mentioned that several bikes and other gear that he had arranged to buy- perhaps from Don Jones or from the estate executor had been removed by Gary and he expected to recover them though he was not taking a hard line about it.

I don't have a beef with the poster. It wasn't written "this is what Terry said," but "this is what I think happened." Credit to him for not salting facts like he knows them. The only point is that almost everyone here knows only a little if anything at all as an actual matter of fact beyond the very basics.

Regardless of what Terry put up or took down, any of us can speculate what happened. Most of the time that leans into preconceived notions or past experience, generally or with the specific person ~ i.e., it ain't unbiased. Moreover, it isn't read without bias. I have my own, but at least have the benefit of thirty years of sifting peoples' disputes making me wary of reaching conclusions too soon. Still happens, though.

Combine that with the short leap from "I'm speculating" to "I read that this happened" that goes on all the time and messes get messier.

[Disclaimer: A couple friends do not have positive impressions or experiences with Terry. I don't know Terry, but had nothing but a positive experience with him in the early aughts regarding some early Hangtown photos. No engagement since. Obviously those things influence me, but I can validate how my friends l while still reserving my own judgments. I don't know enough to have one here apart from it sounds like a messy situation, which never litigates well on a message board.]
2/7/2020 11:34am
Momus wrote:
What Peter Villicaro wrote fits in quite closely with the open letter that Terry Good posted on Facebook, and now, unfortunately, seems to have been removed...
What Peter Villicaro wrote fits in quite closely with the open letter that Terry Good posted on Facebook, and now, unfortunately, seems to have been removed.

He mentioned that several bikes and other gear that he had arranged to buy- perhaps from Don Jones or from the estate executor had been removed by Gary and he expected to recover them though he was not taking a hard line about it.

I don't have a beef with the poster. It wasn't written "this is what Terry said," but "this is what I think happened." Credit to him...
I don't have a beef with the poster. It wasn't written "this is what Terry said," but "this is what I think happened." Credit to him for not salting facts like he knows them. The only point is that almost everyone here knows only a little if anything at all as an actual matter of fact beyond the very basics.

Regardless of what Terry put up or took down, any of us can speculate what happened. Most of the time that leans into preconceived notions or past experience, generally or with the specific person ~ i.e., it ain't unbiased. Moreover, it isn't read without bias. I have my own, but at least have the benefit of thirty years of sifting peoples' disputes making me wary of reaching conclusions too soon. Still happens, though.

Combine that with the short leap from "I'm speculating" to "I read that this happened" that goes on all the time and messes get messier.

[Disclaimer: A couple friends do not have positive impressions or experiences with Terry. I don't know Terry, but had nothing but a positive experience with him in the early aughts regarding some early Hangtown photos. No engagement since. Obviously those things influence me, but I can validate how my friends l while still reserving my own judgments. I don't know enough to have one here apart from it sounds like a messy situation, which never litigates well on a message board.]
.....................anyone that has dealt with nasty probate proceedings "gets it", the end.
crowe176
2/7/2020 11:35am
I think Gary should challenge Terry to a duel.

(I just wanted to post an idiotic opinion to keep this thread from being derailed with facts and logic)
Red Crawford
2/7/2020 11:38am
Momus wrote:

I don't have a beef with the poster. It wasn't written "this is what Terry said," but "this is what I think happened." Credit to him...

.....................anyone that has dealt with nasty probate proceedings "gets it", the end.
Lars, is that you? 😆

The Shop

tydog
2/7/2020 12:57pm
crowe176 wrote:
I think Gary should challenge Terry to a duel. (I just wanted to post an idiotic opinion to keep this thread from being derailed with facts...

(I just wanted to post an idiotic opinion to keep this thread from being derailed with facts and logic)
There is another retired and former multi time National Campion that might want a little of that action 😉👍🏻🥃
Natester551v
2/7/2020 1:50pm
crowe176 wrote:
I think Gary should challenge Terry to a duel. (I just wanted to post an idiotic opinion to keep this thread from being derailed with facts...

Post of the day....🤣
WhipMeister
Fantasy
4408th
2/7/2020 2:02pm
crowe176 wrote:

Now, see? This is what the internet is good for!
Harry_Gray
2/7/2020 3:58pm
I hope all parties involved can resolve this amicably; it would be a shame if lawyers have to get involved.
2/7/2020 5:31pm Edited Date/Time 2/7/2020 7:26pm
OldPro277 wrote:
I don't know Terry Good at all, however what I read about him he seems like a good egg. Seems very odd to pull an under-handed...
I don't know Terry Good at all, however what I read about him he seems like a good egg. Seems very odd to pull an under-handed move like that.

But-- if Gary's story is true that Terry tried multiple times to buy the collection from Gary and was rejected each time , maybe he did find the "loophole" and went directly to Mom, which would show very weak character.

Also- even if Don did "officially" own the bikes, you'd think his Will would have bequeathed the racing items to his boys (the ones that used them and made them famous) . Something certainly is rotten in Denmark
I thought for a while that T.Good was good egg with lots of neat factory bikes.. but I had a recent interaction with him and found him to be a totally self-absorbed kook. He was born with a golden-spoon in his mouth and if you push the wrong buttons, he practically vomits arrogance. I am not sure what the whole story is, but you would have thought that T.Good would have had the discussion with Gary Jones if he was acquiring the bikes directly from the family. That would be the right thing to do. I guess I am not so surprised he didn't.
2/7/2020 5:52pm Edited Date/Time 2/7/2020 7:25pm
No titles... works bikes. Most likely sold as a Bill of Sale. Gary rode them since they were his bikes from the factory's. Don Jones was...
No titles... works bikes. Most likely sold as a Bill of Sale. Gary rode them since they were his bikes from the factory's. Don Jones was contracted to help build them. Remember back then times were different so legal contracts were not like they are today and how finances were transferred.

Sounds like they have been tried to be purchased multiple times in the past but GJ always said no. Which I wouldn't blame him since there is a personal connection to them. And they were true works bike from that era.

Seems that they approach his elder mother (and other parts of the family) and made the deal it seems because GJ wouldn't approve the sale. If the said new owner wanted to make it right, before the purchase he should contacted GJ to explain what he wanted to do and make it right for all. GJ is a pioneer of our sport and a 4x motocross champion, something to be said about that. I'm confident most of us will ever reach that type of history in our sport lol.

Sounds like more then bikes were taken also; such as trophies, photos, helmets, etc... I can see why the museum would want them and I bet GJ would want them in there too if the situation was right.
Crossup wrote:
I can see bikes being owned and transferred through titles and sold. Only Gary earned his trophies, photos, helmets, etc. No one but Gary should be...

I can see bikes being owned and transferred through titles and sold. Only Gary earned his trophies, photos, helmets, etc. No one but Gary should be able to transfer the rights to those. Situation smells.
I agree.. I don't know all the legal technicalities on the bikes, although they should be considered Gary's or Honda's. But the trophies, photo's and jerseys.. those are definitely Gary's and no one else's unless he personally sold them or gave them away.
plowboy
2/7/2020 6:34pm
No titles... works bikes. Most likely sold as a Bill of Sale. Gary rode them since they were his bikes from the factory's. Don Jones was...
No titles... works bikes. Most likely sold as a Bill of Sale. Gary rode them since they were his bikes from the factory's. Don Jones was contracted to help build them. Remember back then times were different so legal contracts were not like they are today and how finances were transferred.

Sounds like they have been tried to be purchased multiple times in the past but GJ always said no. Which I wouldn't blame him since there is a personal connection to them. And they were true works bike from that era.

Seems that they approach his elder mother (and other parts of the family) and made the deal it seems because GJ wouldn't approve the sale. If the said new owner wanted to make it right, before the purchase he should contacted GJ to explain what he wanted to do and make it right for all. GJ is a pioneer of our sport and a 4x motocross champion, something to be said about that. I'm confident most of us will ever reach that type of history in our sport lol.

Sounds like more then bikes were taken also; such as trophies, photos, helmets, etc... I can see why the museum would want them and I bet GJ would want them in there too if the situation was right.
Crossup wrote:
I can see bikes being owned and transferred through titles and sold. Only Gary earned his trophies, photos, helmets, etc. No one but Gary should be...

I can see bikes being owned and transferred through titles and sold. Only Gary earned his trophies, photos, helmets, etc. No one but Gary should be able to transfer the rights to those. Situation smells.
I agree.. I don't know all the legal technicalities on the bikes, although they should be considered Gary's or Honda's. But the trophies, photo's and jerseys...
I agree.. I don't know all the legal technicalities on the bikes, although they should be considered Gary's or Honda's. But the trophies, photo's and jerseys.. those are definitely Gary's and no one else's unless he personally sold them or gave them away.
As I stated earlier...I don't know enough background to speak to the legalities of this situation and while the ownership of the bikes may be murky...I'd assume a trophy or jersey would be Gary's property. I don't know anything about this Good fella but I know money can make you powerful but it never bought a man integrity, honor, or respect.
tydog
2/7/2020 6:43pm
Crossup wrote:

I agree.. I don't know all the legal technicalities on the bikes, although they should be considered Gary's or Honda's. But the trophies, photo's and jerseys...
plowboy wrote:
As I stated earlier...I don't know enough background to speak to the legalities of this situation and while the ownership of the bikes may be murky...I'd...
As I stated earlier...I don't know enough background to speak to the legalities of this situation and while the ownership of the bikes may be murky...I'd assume a trophy or jersey would be Gary's property. I don't know anything about this Good fella but I know money can make you powerful but it never bought a man integrity, honor, or respect.
👍🏻
aeffertz
2/7/2020 6:49pm
I see that one guy deleted his posts about helping steal someone’s bike. Laughing
plowboy
2/7/2020 6:55pm
aeffertz wrote:
I see that one guy deleted his posts about helping steal someone’s bike. Laughing
Didn't see it. Was it pertaining to this situation?
2/7/2020 7:33pm Edited Date/Time 2/7/2020 7:36pm
From Jim Gianatsis on facebook:

Gary Jones, I assume you are talking about Terry Good. I saw Terry Good bragging about making the purchase of Gary's bikes and gear on Facebook a while back. (Gary had told Terry Good many times that he didn't want to sell his 3 AMA 250cc Championship wining bikes the 1972 Yamaha, 1973 Honda, and 1974 Can-Am. Then Good went behind Gary's back and bought the legendary bikes and Gary's team riding gear from a family member were the bikes and riding gear were being stored).

Terry Good is a total SCUM BAG. He continuously steals mine and other photographers' classic MX photos from magazines and reposts them on his multiple Facebook pages to promote himself and his Museum without my permission.

When I ask Good to remove my photos, he gets all hissy and claims they are in "the public domain" which they are not. Photography remains the property of the photographer and his heirs forever, unless they sign away he rights. And then rich boy Good who has the money to hire attorneys, says he will counter sue me for harassing him for his using my photos.

I woud like to ask everone who supports and respects 3-Time National MX Champion Gary Jones, and my own Jim Gianatsis historic Golden Age of Motocross Photography and the legal right of law, not to support Terry Good and his International Motocross Museum. Please let everyone in the motorcycle industry know what a scum bag this guy is. - Jim Gianatsis photographer

Sounds like Good is toxic to the motocross community. He certainly is not acting within the spirit of showing respect and class for the wishes of others.
2/7/2020 7:37pm Edited Date/Time 2/7/2020 7:38pm
crowe176 wrote:

He laid that fiddle at Johnny’s feet......

Also there’s no laws on harassment. Define harassment ?
slipdog
2/7/2020 7:39pm
Not a good look for Mr. Good... (Pun intended)
OldPro277
2/7/2020 7:49pm
OldPro277 wrote:
I don't know Terry Good at all, however what I read about him he seems like a good egg. Seems very odd to pull an under-handed...
I don't know Terry Good at all, however what I read about him he seems like a good egg. Seems very odd to pull an under-handed move like that.

But-- if Gary's story is true that Terry tried multiple times to buy the collection from Gary and was rejected each time , maybe he did find the "loophole" and went directly to Mom, which would show very weak character.

Also- even if Don did "officially" own the bikes, you'd think his Will would have bequeathed the racing items to his boys (the ones that used them and made them famous) . Something certainly is rotten in Denmark
I thought for a while that T.Good was good egg with lots of neat factory bikes.. but I had a recent interaction with him and found...
I thought for a while that T.Good was good egg with lots of neat factory bikes.. but I had a recent interaction with him and found him to be a totally self-absorbed kook. He was born with a golden-spoon in his mouth and if you push the wrong buttons, he practically vomits arrogance. I am not sure what the whole story is, but you would have thought that T.Good would have had the discussion with Gary Jones if he was acquiring the bikes directly from the family. That would be the right thing to do. I guess I am not so surprised he didn't.
TT-- I had originally based my opinion of Good ,mainly on some early interviews I had read ,the fact he loves early Works Moto bikes and was willing to spend crazy money on procuring and preserving the machines of the "golden age" of MX. So how bad can this guy be ,right ?? But after hearing multiple stories that parallel what you described in your post,leads me to be believe the guy may be 100 % asshat. (albeit a ridiculously well-to-do one,lol)

How was it that he is able to convince guys like DeCoster and so many others to part with one of a kind, irreplaceable moto artifacts?? And to lure the great Joel Robert to relocate to be full time curator of this museum ?? Were all the contributors just blown out with crazy financial offers ?? Did any of these guys not recognize the fact that T.Good was possibly a douchebag of the highest level?

So many intriguing questions and storylines developing here--- can't wait till it all shakes out .
BobbyM
2/7/2020 7:52pm
From Jim Gianatsis on facebook: Gary Jones, I assume you are talking about Terry Good. I saw Terry Good bragging about making the purchase of Gary's...

Gary Jones, I assume you are talking about Terry Good. I saw Terry Good bragging about making the purchase of Gary's bikes and gear on Facebook a while back. (Gary had told Terry Good many times that he didn't want to sell his 3 AMA 250cc Championship wining bikes the 1972 Yamaha, 1973 Honda, and 1974 Can-Am. Then Good went behind Gary's back and bought the legendary bikes and Gary's team riding gear from a family member were the bikes and riding gear were being stored).

Terry Good is a total SCUM BAG. He continuously steals mine and other photographers' classic MX photos from magazines and reposts them on his multiple Facebook pages to promote himself and his Museum without my permission.

When I ask Good to remove my photos, he gets all hissy and claims they are in "the public domain" which they are not. Photography remains the property of the photographer and his heirs forever, unless they sign away he rights. And then rich boy Good who has the money to hire attorneys, says he will counter sue me for harassing him for his using my photos.

I woud like to ask everone who supports and respects 3-Time National MX Champion Gary Jones, and my own Jim Gianatsis historic Golden Age of Motocross Photography and the legal right of law, not to support Terry Good and his International Motocross Museum. Please let everyone in the motorcycle industry know what a scum bag this guy is. - Jim Gianatsis photographer

Sounds like Good is toxic to the motocross community. He certainly is not acting within the spirit of showing respect and class for the wishes of others.
Yer no saint either big Jim... Guess it takes one to know one.
2/7/2020 7:52pm
From Jim Gianatsis on facebook: Gary Jones, I assume you are talking about Terry Good. I saw Terry Good bragging about making the purchase of Gary's...

Yup, sounds the Terry Good I had the unfortunate pleasure of witnessing the other day, We could all boycott the Motocross museum until he returns Gary Jones' personal history to him.
2/7/2020 8:06pm
OldPro277 wrote:

I thought for a while that T.Good was good egg with lots of neat factory bikes.. but I had a recent interaction with him and found...
OldPro277 wrote:
TT-- I had originally based my opinion of Good ,mainly on some early interviews I had read ,the fact he loves early Works Moto bikes and...
TT-- I had originally based my opinion of Good ,mainly on some early interviews I had read ,the fact he loves early Works Moto bikes and was willing to spend crazy money on procuring and preserving the machines of the "golden age" of MX. So how bad can this guy be ,right ?? But after hearing multiple stories that parallel what you described in your post,leads me to be believe the guy may be 100 % asshat. (albeit a ridiculously well-to-do one,lol)

How was it that he is able to convince guys like DeCoster and so many others to part with one of a kind, irreplaceable moto artifacts?? And to lure the great Joel Robert to relocate to be full time curator of this museum ?? Were all the contributors just blown out with crazy financial offers ?? Did any of these guys not recognize the fact that T.Good was possibly a douchebag of the highest level?

So many intriguing questions and storylines developing here--- can't wait till it all shakes out .
I thought about the same thing regarding Roger Decoster and Joel Robert providing T.Good with all those cool bikes and parts.. I honestly didn't know if they sold them or gave or lent them to the Motocross Museum. If you think about it from Decoster's or Robert's perspective, they are probably more focused on their legacy.. they are getting old, and we guys who worshipped them are getting old, too. Once we are all gone, a lot of their legacy would be forgotten unless the bikes are displayed with stories about and pictures of the man who rode them. It is a way of preserving their legacy. Gary Jone's may feel differently and it is his prerogative IMHO to decide the fate of the bikes, gear and trophies. It may have meant more to Gary to be able to go sit on his old race steeds once in a great while than to have them in a museum far away.
BigBoreFan58
2/7/2020 8:11pm
OldPro277 wrote:

OldPro277 wrote:
TT-- I had originally based my opinion of Good ,mainly on some early interviews I had read ,the fact he loves early Works Moto bikes and...

I'm kind of in the same camp. A lot of these moto collections are private. So you would assume Terry Good is a good guy, since he's willing to share his collection. I doubt there is any big money to be made in a Motocross Museum in Chicago. It would seem to be a labor of love on Terry's part.

Who knows. Maybe he's a different guy to different people. Maybe he has friendships with DeCoster and Robert. I know DeCoster said on an interview he lost a lot of money in the 2008 financial meltdown. Roger is not a young man, and his family may not want his collection.

I know I was excited about this museum , but this takes some of the shine off.

Nothing worse than arrogant people.

WhipMeister
Fantasy
4408th
2/7/2020 8:21pm
Annnnd (despite advice to the contrary)... We're off!!!
ledger
2/7/2020 8:33pm Edited Date/Time 2/7/2020 8:35pm
Copied/pasted from original post, and seems to describe the true character of Terry Good... I was not contacted at any point to be given the opportunity to accept or decline the sale of my motorcycles. From a personal standpoint, I am disappointed the buyer of the motorcycles was not civil or professional enough to contact me at any point. This suggests the buyer knew I would not approve of the sale. I received no financial compensation; this has nothing to do with money, but everything to do with integrity. Gary Jones.
homerdaman
2/7/2020 8:52pm
Same Terry Good of On The Line Racing who screwed over Erik Kehoe in 1992?
big natty
2/7/2020 8:55pm
homerdaman wrote:
Yes same guy from on the line racing
BobbyM
2/7/2020 10:56pm
homerdaman wrote:
Do tell sir.
mooch
Fantasy
501st
2/8/2020 7:13am

BobbyM wrote:
Yer no saint either big Jim... Guess it takes one to know one.
Exactly BobbyM...Jim Gianatsis calling ANYONE else a massive scumbag is pretty ironic as Gianatsis has a massive ego which allows him to top the charts when it comes to arrogance.

Post a reply to: Gary Jones not happy with His Bikes & memorabilia being sold without his Permission?

The Latest