Getting around Detroit

early
Fantasy
2139th
2/21/2019 7:15am Edited Date/Time 2/23/2019 10:39am
I don't know Detroit very well, only been there a few times. I'm staying at the Westin Book Cadillac on Michigan and Washington which is about a mile from Ford field. How sketchy is it to walk between those 2 places either in the afternoon or after the race?
|
c0ncEpT
2/21/2019 7:38am Edited Date/Time 2/21/2019 7:41am
You'll be fine.

The downtown area isn't as bad as people make it out to be. Now if your GPS tells you to walk through a random neighborhood do NOT do it lol.

Make sure you walk across the street and get some Lafayette Coney Island tho!
MudPup545
2/21/2019 7:49am
It's good. The downtown area is just fine. I've taken the family down there several times for concerts and other events. We walk and have never had an issue.
Kkawi
2/21/2019 7:57am
early wrote:
I don't know Detroit very well, only been there a few times. I'm staying at the Westin Book Cadillac on Michigan and Washington which is about...
I don't know Detroit very well, only been there a few times. I'm staying at the Westin Book Cadillac on Michigan and Washington which is about a mile from Ford field. How sketchy is it to walk between those 2 places either in the afternoon or after the race?
Detroit isn't bad like people say. Its basically just a meme to say "OMG DETROIT IS SOOO DANGEROUS" and people love to parrot that type of statement. Downtown is perfectly safe, there are cops all around, stores, restaurants. You do not want to go into the neighborhoods outside of downtown. 0% sketchy where you are.
early
Fantasy
2139th
2/21/2019 8:10am
Thanks for the help. I'm from Youngstown which sometimes gets portrayed as the most dangerous place in the US, but it's not nearly that bad. Don't be an idiot and don't go looking for trouble works 99.9% of the time.

The Shop

motomike137
2/21/2019 8:44am Edited Date/Time 2/21/2019 8:46am
early wrote:
Thanks for the help. I'm from Youngstown which sometimes gets portrayed as the most dangerous place in the US, but it's not nearly that bad. Don't...
Thanks for the help. I'm from Youngstown which sometimes gets portrayed as the most dangerous place in the US, but it's not nearly that bad. Don't be an idiot and don't go looking for trouble works 99.9% of the time.
You are actually closer than a mile, You might want to study the "wagon wheel" street layout so that you understand how to walk over to the stadium. It can be confusing sometimes.
canciaro
2/21/2019 10:16am
early wrote:
I don't know Detroit very well, only been there a few times. I'm staying at the Westin Book Cadillac on Michigan and Washington which is about...
As someone who is in Detroit every month, youre totally fine. Downtown Detroit is actually very well cleaned up from the lows of the mid 2000s. A lot of new restaurants and real estate has been booming down there and lots of new store fronts. I wouldn't drive anywhere its all pretty walk able.

If you have time in the afternoon you can walk as far north as Wayne State University on Woodward Ave and its full of new condos, restaurants, etc. The bad parts of Detroit are in the neighborhoods outside of downtown and south of the Ambassador bridge but you wont be near any of that.
footglove
2/21/2019 11:31am
We stayed in the Westin Book a couple years ago. Very nice hotel! Easy walk to anywhere you want to go downtown. Definitely hit up the coney dogs!
canciaro
2/21/2019 11:46am
footglove wrote:
We stayed in the Westin Book a couple years ago. Very nice hotel! Easy walk to anywhere you want to go downtown. Definitely hit up the...
We stayed in the Westin Book a couple years ago. Very nice hotel! Easy walk to anywhere you want to go downtown. Definitely hit up the coney dogs!
But for the record...LAFAYETTE CONEY ISLAND. Dont go next door to American Coney Island.

Go to the original, its a far better experience and dog. It has every inch of the restaurant filled with pictures, thats all you should need to know.
early
Fantasy
2139th
2/21/2019 11:50am
footglove wrote:
We stayed in the Westin Book a couple years ago. Very nice hotel! Easy walk to anywhere you want to go downtown. Definitely hit up the...
We just booked it yesterday on Priceline, got an awesome rate except the 50 goddamn dollars in tax and fees. Looking forward to it.
footglove
2/21/2019 1:02pm
footglove wrote:
canciaro wrote:
But for the record...LAFAYETTE CONEY ISLAND. Dont go next door to American Coney Island. Go to the original, its a far better experience and dog. It...
But for the record...LAFAYETTE CONEY ISLAND. Dont go next door to American Coney Island.

Go to the original, its a far better experience and dog. It has every inch of the restaurant filled with pictures, thats all you should need to know.
Lafayette all the way!
sam hain
2/21/2019 1:19pm
I visited Detroit about 10yrs ago, had a buddy from west bloomfield show me around. His older brother was a history buff and took us on a purple gang scenic tour. Four white guys riding thru the slums of the city in a white van got some looks! We went down telegraph and saw the old Packard plant. It was a good time.

Enjoy the race early.
phatfi20
2/21/2019 1:33pm Edited Date/Time 2/21/2019 1:41pm
I lived in downtown detroit in 2009 in the apartments connected to your hotel. You wont have a problem walking that area during the day or after the race. A homeless person might ask you for money.....I understand the more than average crime areas are when you go out to the suburbs 5 or 6 miles from downtown.

Sheleighles is a good bar to go to within walking distance. Also Sweetwaters tavern has top 5 best wings and burgers I've ever had.

There is quite a big night life in downtown Detroit and greektown there with a large population of sophisticated younger people in 20's and 30's. Myself and friends would regularly walk home from the bars aloneand never came anywhere near a bad situation. Never heard of problems with women friends traveling together either.
Derpin' DJ
Fantasy
2779th
2/21/2019 2:24pm Edited Date/Time 2/21/2019 2:26pm
I've booked in at the Trumbull and Porter in Corktown. I've read some conflicting things about the area, but it does seem to have some nice food joints around there, so hoping it's not too bad. I'm considering walking to the stadium during the day, but I'll probably catch an uber/taxi back.

First time in the US and an SX race. Looking forward to it!
JW269
2/21/2019 3:23pm
Just stay away/off of 7 mile and you’ll be perfectly fine!! Laughing

Enjoy the race!
Camp332
2/21/2019 5:18pm
early wrote:
Thanks for the help. I'm from Youngstown which sometimes gets portrayed as the most dangerous place in the US, but it's not nearly that bad. Don't...
early bro, if it makes you feel any better, I've never heard a damn thing about Youngstown Ohio.

Jimmy638
2/21/2019 5:40pm
footglove wrote:
early wrote:
We just booked it yesterday on Priceline, got an awesome rate except the 50 goddamn dollars in tax and fees. Looking forward to it.
Call the Hotel directly next time, third part rates are higher and if you need to cancel you'll never get it. While on the phone tell them the rate they are going to give you. Ten out of ten times they will meet or beat that cost without hidden fees. Have fun!
Jimmy638
2/21/2019 5:43pm
sam hain wrote:
I visited Detroit about 10yrs ago, had a buddy from west bloomfield show me around. His older brother was a history buff and took us on...
I visited Detroit about 10yrs ago, had a buddy from west bloomfield show me around. His older brother was a history buff and took us on a purple gang scenic tour. Four white guys riding thru the slums of the city in a white van got some looks! We went down telegraph and saw the old Packard plant. It was a good time.

Enjoy the race early.
One of the original White Castle restaurants is on Telegraph
IDMegaMoto
2/21/2019 6:59pm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Detroit

In 2017, there were 267 murders in Detroit down from 303 in 2016. The violent crime rate of 2,057 per 100,000 was the second highest in the nation after St Louis and roughly ten times the average rate of the suburban counties of metro Detroit which had violent crime rates below the national average of 394 per 100,000.
deluxeman
2/22/2019 5:14am
How is it not dangerous. Must be 50 below this time of the year. F that.
Looks like 40 and rainy for Saturday.
SCAM124
Fantasy
2070th
2/22/2019 5:22am
Meh...15min walk. No worries.
As others have said, my recommendations: Lafayette Coney, Calexico for mexican, Vicente's for Cuban(our dinner plans for Sat), or Basement Burger Bar for a burger and some tator tots.

You'll be fine anywhere in between these places. Like any populated places, keep your head up is all.
footglove
2/22/2019 5:45am
Also, hit up some Detroit style pizza while in town!
Kkawi
2/22/2019 5:59am
SCAM124 wrote:
Meh...15min walk. No worries. As others have said, my recommendations: Lafayette Coney, Calexico for mexican, Vicente's for Cuban(our dinner plans for Sat), or Basement Burger Bar...
Meh...15min walk. No worries.
As others have said, my recommendations: Lafayette Coney, Calexico for mexican, Vicente's for Cuban(our dinner plans for Sat), or Basement Burger Bar for a burger and some tator tots.

You'll be fine anywhere in between these places. Like any populated places, keep your head up is all.
Hey look another guy from Northville! thats pretty cool. Whats up man?
Muezh
2/22/2019 6:10am
early wrote:
Not sketchy at all. All of Downtown is walkable with people everywhere. Lots of new bars and restarants everywhere. Enjoy discovering new places.
Muezh
2/22/2019 6:15am
Derpin' DJ wrote:
I've booked in at the Trumbull and Porter in Corktown. I've read some conflicting things about the area, but it does seem to have some nice...
I've booked in at the Trumbull and Porter in Corktown. I've read some conflicting things about the area, but it does seem to have some nice food joints around there, so hoping it's not too bad. I'm considering walking to the stadium during the day, but I'll probably catch an uber/taxi back.

First time in the US and an SX race. Looking forward to it!
I'll be in that area of Corktown Saturday day for lunch before the race at a place called Green Dot Stables. They have the BEST sliders. Highly recommend hitting any of the numerous bars and restaurants on Michigan Ave in Corktown. So much there to do now.
early
Fantasy
2139th
2/22/2019 6:19am
Good stuff here thanks for all the help everyone.
phatfi20
2/22/2019 6:28am
IDMegaMoto wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Detroit In 2017, there were 267 murders in Detroit down from 303 in 2016. The violent crime rate of 2,057 per 100,000 was the second highest...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Detroit

In 2017, there were 267 murders in Detroit down from 303 in 2016. The violent crime rate of 2,057 per 100,000 was the second highest in the nation after St Louis and roughly ten times the average rate of the suburban counties of metro Detroit which had violent crime rates below the national average of 394 per 100,000.
I think the consensus is that stuff is out 5-8 miles from downtown and the site of super cross. 8 mile is from where Eminem grew up. Doesn't mean doesn't happen downtown but the higher than average crime rate areas are far far away from supercross.
walleyeguy
2/22/2019 7:05am Edited Date/Time 2/22/2019 7:09am
I was at the 2014 Supercross. A short walk from the stadium was a market like area and a bunch of places to eat. Is there always a market on the weekends and does anyone know where it is at? Taking the kids there again tomorrow and looking for a place to check out before the race and maybe get something to eat outside the stadium. I don't want to pay $75 for 3 burgers and pop from inside.

Oh yeah. How about best place to park? Last time I remember paying like $40 to park about 3 blocks from the stadium.
Muezh
2/22/2019 7:25am
walleyeguy wrote:
I was at the 2014 Supercross. A short walk from the stadium was a market like area and a bunch of places to eat. Is there...
I was at the 2014 Supercross. A short walk from the stadium was a market like area and a bunch of places to eat. Is there always a market on the weekends and does anyone know where it is at? Taking the kids there again tomorrow and looking for a place to check out before the race and maybe get something to eat outside the stadium. I don't want to pay $75 for 3 burgers and pop from inside.

Oh yeah. How about best place to park? Last time I remember paying like $40 to park about 3 blocks from the stadium.
I just used the Park Whiz app and paid $10 for garage parking. about a 3 or 4 block walk. Its on top of Punch Bowl Social. Which is also kid and family friendly. A bunch of us local Michigan and Ohio MX guys are all parking and meeting there after the race. Good food Good prices.
Also if you have time to kill check out Ready Player One. Its a vintage arcade. Really cool
MudPup545
2/22/2019 7:39am
walleyeguy wrote:
I was at the 2014 Supercross. A short walk from the stadium was a market like area and a bunch of places to eat. Is there...

Muezh wrote:
I just used the Park Whiz app and paid $10 for garage parking. about a 3 or 4 block walk. Its on top of Punch Bowl...
I just used the Park Whiz app and paid $10 for garage parking. about a 3 or 4 block walk. Its on top of Punch Bowl Social. Which is also kid and family friendly. A bunch of us local Michigan and Ohio MX guys are all parking and meeting there after the race. Good food Good prices.
Also if you have time to kill check out Ready Player One. Its a vintage arcade. Really cool
I concur....was just going to recommend the ParkWhiz app/website. Pre-paid....no fuss.

Post a reply to: Getting around Detroit

The Latest