Glamis vs Ocotillo Well?

Edited Date/Time 1/2/2019 1:24pm
Was thinking of hitting one or the other while in California next mouth. Which one is more fun? Or is there and even better place?
Poll

Glamis vs Ocotillo Well

Choices
|
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
12/31/2018 8:29am
What are you looking to do? Glamis if you are looking for nothing but sand and jumps. Ocotillo if you are looking for some sand, jumps and trails
Boomslang
Fantasy
548th
12/31/2018 8:30am
Ocotillo is awesome, endless hits for all skill levels. The only thing that scares me are those damn wells, I have nightmares of going down one of those.

Ride in groups and make sure you are prepared for the unlikely event.
12/31/2018 9:08am
Boomslang wrote:
Ocotillo is awesome, endless hits for all skill levels. The only thing that scares me are those damn wells, I have nightmares of going down one...
Ocotillo is awesome, endless hits for all skill levels. The only thing that scares me are those damn wells, I have nightmares of going down one of those.

Is the wells thing a joke?
wisey
Fantasy
1380th
12/31/2018 9:15am
Depending on your idea of freeriding there are way better places. Most of these spots you will not get to unless you know someone that can show you.

What type of riding are you looking for?

My Opinion:

Glamis Dunes are fun, for a day. Pretty amazing to see how vast the Imperial Dunes are in person. Although I haven't been back since New Year 2000 I could only imagine the amount of SxS out there. Brawley hospital is not the best but the strip club is. Be careful!!!

Ocotillo has a mixed bag. Like others have said, some big hits on natural terrain. There are 2 little sand hills not worth mentioning. Some open bush banging, sand washes big and small, long rides across desert to Superstition / the border. Some deep technical notches / canyons around S22. Also some technical, skinny single tracks on top off the mud hills around S22. If you have a Dual Sport there are long plated only trails. Again I've only been there once in the past 15 years so things have changed. And again I could only imagine the amount of SxS out there with no experience and beating the hell out of the place. Try to avoid San Felipe wash.

Now if your into single track / technical / hill climb riding there is a long list of known and not so known places that will make some stains.

The Shop

12/31/2018 10:54am
wisey wrote:
Depending on your idea of freeriding there are way better places. Most of these spots you will not get to unless you know someone that can...
Depending on your idea of freeriding there are way better places. Most of these spots you will not get to unless you know someone that can show you.

My Opinion:

Glamis Dunes are fun, for a day. Pretty amazing to see how vast the Imperial Dunes are in person. Although I haven't been back since New Year 2000 I could only imagine the amount of SxS out there. Brawley hospital is not the best but the strip club is. Be careful!!!

Ocotillo has a mixed bag. Like others have said, some big hits on natural terrain. There are 2 little sand hills not worth mentioning. Some open bush banging, sand washes big and small, long rides across desert to Superstition / the border. Some deep technical notches / canyons around S22. Also some technical, skinny single tracks on top off the mud hills around S22. If you have a Dual Sport there are long plated only trails. Again I've only been there once in the past 15 years so things have changed. And again I could only imagine the amount of SxS out there with no experience and beating the hell out of the place. Try to avoid San Felipe wash.

Now if your into single track / technical / hill climb riding there is a long list of known and not so known places that will make some stains.
Here in East Texas there is no free riding and places to trail ride are switch backs through big trees and thick woods. We are going to spend about 2.5 to 3 weeks in southern Ca. and just wanted to have some fun and make some memories. My son is 18 now and this is the last year we will be traveling to races with him. So I'm bringing my bike and we are going to spend to much money, lol. I was planning on staying in the Temecula area after Glendale SX to Oakland SX.
Boomslang
Fantasy
548th
12/31/2018 11:03am
Boomslang wrote:
Ocotillo is awesome, endless hits for all skill levels. The only thing that scares me are those damn wells, I have nightmares of going down one...

Is the wells thing a joke?
No, not sure if they are wells, they look more like mine shafts going straight down. Ill see if i can dig up a few old pictures.

Can say one thing, if you riding by yourself and end up in one of those then you are pretty much f#@ked.
Boomslang
Fantasy
548th
12/31/2018 11:14am
I seem to recall a while back someone posted a picture of a bike down one of them holes.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
405th
12/31/2018 11:17am
I'd say hit up Ocotillo. You get a little bit of everything at Ocotillo and it's just crazy terrain. It's an all natural dirt bike play ground. Glamis is cool, but I get bored there after a day and there are tons of side by sides now with people who don't know how to drive them safely. If I had to choose one or the other, I'd pick Ocotillo personally. If you go to Ocotillo, just keep track of where you are and get your direction bearings based on the mountains, pole line road, and the Salton sea. Take plenty of water in case you break down or get lost. If you have water and get lost, just get up high and get your bearings based on the mountain ranges, you'll figure it out. Technically, you are boxed in, so as long as you just go a certain direction (other than North) you will eventually hit a road to get out. Some of the terrain there is just crazy, and a ton of fun. Very challenging.
12/31/2018 11:47am
I prefer Ocotillo Wells. I was there for thanks giving and loved it. There is some soft sand, hills to hit and some dunes too. Do all your riding in the morning though while the drunks are still sleeping it off. There was a life flight call each day I was there and when I went back to work I had two different patients in the ER that were there for ocotillo related incidents.
RichieW13
Fantasy
2913th
12/31/2018 11:58am
If you are going to be in Temecula and are interested in checking out the open California desert for riding, I would recommend Johnson Valley OHV area. Glamis is just sand dunes. Ocotillo Wells is mostly flat, with little hills and is still fairly sandy. It has some fun stuff. But Johnson Valley has everything: dry lake beds, huge mountains with rocky goat trails, wide open cross-grain, there are some sandy spots, etc.

https://www.blm.gov/visit/johnson-valley-ohv-area

I think it is the largest, legal, open riding area in the country.

Whether you are riding in Glamis, Ocotillo Wells or Johnson Valley, you technically need to have a Nonresident OHV Use Permit, and you need a spark arrester.

Info: http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=25669

wisey
Fantasy
1380th
1/1/2019 9:27am
wisey wrote:
Depending on your idea of freeriding there are way better places. Most of these spots you will not get to unless you know someone that can...

My Opinion:

Here in East Texas there is no free riding and places to trail ride are switch backs through big trees and thick woods. We are going...
Here in East Texas there is no free riding and places to trail ride are switch backs through big trees and thick woods. We are going to spend about 2.5 to 3 weeks in southern Ca. and just wanted to have some fun and make some memories. My son is 18 now and this is the last year we will be traveling to races with him. So I'm bringing my bike and we are going to spend to much money, lol. I was planning on staying in the Temecula area after Glendale SX to Oakland SX.
Like said above. JV is my choice this time of year, way less people and way better trail riding. Watch for race events going on out there. The first week of February is King of the Hammers which is pretty cool event to see. Other cool places are Barstow and Jawbone Canyon.
mikec265
1/1/2019 7:13pm
wisey wrote:

My Opinion:

Here in East Texas there is no free riding and places to trail ride are switch backs through big trees and thick woods. We are going...
I know of a guy who parties in Temecula.
barnett468
1/1/2019 7:29pm Edited Date/Time 1/1/2019 7:38pm
Did you have the other thread about staying at, or near, an mx track?

El Mirage dry lake is another option but is not a big sand dune spot. The lake bed is flat and they occasionally have speed races there and you might see the occasional ultra lite or gyro copter. There is plenty of sand to ride around on as well but no real sand dunes to speak of.

There is also Joshua Tree but some areas are a bit rocky but it is great if you also like to do a littlen hiking thru cool sandstone formations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB9vAvj9Arg

Red Mountain

Anza Borego

Stodard Wells

1/1/2019 8:29pm
barnett468 wrote:
Did you have the other thread about staying at, or near, an mx track? El Mirage dry lake is another option but is not a big...

El Mirage dry lake is another option but is not a big sand dune spot. The lake bed is flat and they occasionally have speed races there and you might see the occasional ultra lite or gyro copter. There is plenty of sand to ride around on as well but no real sand dunes to speak of.

There is also Joshua Tree but some areas are a bit rocky but it is great if you also like to do a littlen hiking thru cool sandstone formations.

Red Mountain

Anza Borego

Stodard Wells

Yes, sorry I've been asking so many questions. Just want to get the most out of our trip. My son is racing Glendale, A2 and Oakland SX Futures. So we are making a family trip.
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
1/1/2019 10:16pm
Ocotillo has a wide variety of terrain, Glamis is sand, sand, or sand. Ocotillo would be my vote if you can only do 1.
MX Culture
1/2/2019 7:32am
barnett468 wrote:
Did you have the other thread about staying at, or near, an mx track? El Mirage dry lake is another option but is not a big...

Red Mountain

Anza Borego

Stodard Wells

Yes, sorry I've been asking so many questions. Just want to get the most out of our trip. My son is racing Glendale, A2 and Oakland...
Yes, sorry I've been asking so many questions. Just want to get the most out of our trip. My son is racing Glendale, A2 and Oakland SX Futures. So we are making a family trip.
What's his name?
I'm announcing the Futures races.
1/2/2019 10:32am Edited Date/Time 1/2/2019 10:33am
barnett468 wrote:

Red Mountain

Anza Borego

Stodard Wells

Yes, sorry I've been asking so many questions. Just want to get the most out of our trip. My son is racing Glendale, A2 and Oakland...
MX Culture wrote:
What's his name?
I'm announcing the Futures races.
Doc Smith #64 Kawasaki, in the B classes
2stroked
1/2/2019 1:09pm
Glamis is a waste of time in my opinion.

Ocotillo wells is boring, and over crowded a lot of the times. Lots of 'weekend warrior' types running around not paying attention to what they are doing if you know what I mean.

Johnson Valley OHV is a much better place to go. It has everything you want, and things you dont even know exist. You're better off in Johnson Valley.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
1/2/2019 1:24pm
Another vote for Johnson Valley if you can make it out that way.

Post a reply to: Glamis vs Ocotillo Well?

The Latest