Guts Wing Seat Cover Review

phatfi20
Edited Date/Time 9/12/2019 5:07am
Update: 9/11/19

Wing foam breaks down after about 15 hours and is soft enough not to serve its purpose anymore. Not great for a premium $150 seat cover. Guts says they haven’t heard of their foam breaking down. They will sell me another one for a 30% discount of $115 including shipping. Not interested in buying a $115 seat cover every 6 months. Will try to change the foam myself which sounds like a PITA or buy stegs pegs.
-
-
-
Original post:
Just wanted to post my very positive experience with the Guts "Wing" seat cover which, in my opinion, is a game changer. I understand this isn't for everybody, but this is America so here is goes...

https://www.gutsracing.com/Articles.asp?ID=272

The website does a bad job showing it off, so here is a picture.

Riding with it:

So much easier to stand up more and control the bike more with my legs. Before, with just a flat surface of the seat/frame to grip on, my knees would slide on the bike with sudden acceleration/deceleration, from braking bumps, holes, hard braking, getting WFO. Then you need to use more energy to grip harder and/or re-adjust arms/legs/upper body.

-Before i had this i thought I used to use my legs to control the bike decently, but boy I was wrong.
-It doesn't impede moving from sitting or standing.
-Doesn't make the bike feel bulky or make you ride bow legged because your legs are pressing into the foam.

|
yak651
Fantasy
192nd
7/16/2019 10:46am
phatfi20 wrote:
Update: 9/11/19 Wing foam breaks down after about 15 hours and is soft enough not to serve its purpose anymore. Not great for a premium $150...

Wing foam breaks down after about 15 hours and is soft enough not to serve its purpose anymore. Not great for a premium $150 seat cover. Guts says they haven’t heard of their foam breaking down. They will sell me another one for a 30% discount of $115 including shipping. Not interested in buying a $115 seat cover every 6 months. Will try to change the foam myself which sounds like a PITA or buy stegs pegs.
-
-
-
Original post:
Just wanted to post my very positive experience with the Guts "Wing" seat cover which, in my opinion, is a game changer. I understand this isn't for everybody, but this is America so here is goes...

Riding with it:

So much easier to stand up more and control the bike more with my legs. Before, with just a flat surface of the seat/frame to grip on, my knees would slide on the bike with sudden acceleration/deceleration, from braking bumps, holes, hard braking, getting WFO. Then you need to use more energy to grip harder and/or re-adjust arms/legs/upper body.

-Before i had this i thought I used to use my legs to control the bike decently, but boy I was wrong.
-Doesn't make the bike feel bulky or make you ride bow legged because your legs are pressing into the foam.

Good review, bad seat cover install
phatfi20
7/16/2019 10:52am
yak651 wrote:
I'll let your mom know to do better job next time.
7/16/2019 11:28am
The Velcro cover is Incredible why didn't they think of the sooner My God !!!!! 10 min done..... A little crooked lift it off straighten it out !!!!!! Awesome Product
LumpDog841
7/16/2019 11:29am
Thinking about this myself. What did the seat-cover come with? foam inserts on the sides? Also how was the install?

The Shop

phatfi20
7/16/2019 11:50am
LumpDog841 wrote:
Thinking about this myself. What did the seat-cover come with? foam inserts on the sides? Also how was the install?
It came all in once piece. The foam sides are completely sewn in. Nothing different you have to do from a normal install and it was no more difficult.

I believe this picture was taken in the process of install. Really no different to get it done. Yak kindly pointed out some folds which aren't there anymore.

The only thing is its expensive, but i used a Pulp code which was a decent discount.
LumpDog841
7/16/2019 11:57am
phatfi20 wrote:
It came all in once piece. The foam sides are completely sewn in. Nothing different you have to do from a normal install and it was...
It came all in once piece. The foam sides are completely sewn in. Nothing different you have to do from a normal install and it was no more difficult.

I believe this picture was taken in the process of install. Really no different to get it done. Yak kindly pointed out some folds which aren't there anymore.

The only thing is its expensive, but i used a Pulp code which was a decent discount.
Ordering it now. Thanks!!
Lynch
7/16/2019 12:25pm
I want one of these to test but the pricetag to get it to Sweden was insane even through a Guts dealerPinch
T-Fish
Fantasy
335th
7/16/2019 1:00pm
phatfi20 wrote:
Update: 9/11/19 Wing foam breaks down after about 15 hours and is soft enough not to serve its purpose anymore. Not great for a premium $150...

-
-
-
Original post:

Riding with it:

yak651 wrote:
Mine had some similar mild ripples when I first got it straight from Guts. After a ride or two, they vanished.
bernnet
7/16/2019 11:10pm
Looks nice but a bit pricey.
Huckster
7/17/2019 3:25am
526 wrote:
The Velcro cover is Incredible why didn't they think of the sooner My God !!!!! 10 min done..... A little crooked lift it off straighten it...
The Velcro cover is Incredible why didn't they think of the sooner My God !!!!! 10 min done..... A little crooked lift it off straighten it out !!!!!! Awesome Product
Does the wing seat cover come with Velcro?
MXBen711
7/17/2019 4:46am
Lynch wrote:
I want one of these to test but the pricetag to get it to Sweden was insane even through a Guts dealerPinch
Were the European GUTS Distributor, what bike do you need one for?

I cant sell it to you, but i can give you the RRP for the EU and let you know a dealer
phatfi20
7/17/2019 8:13am Edited Date/Time 7/17/2019 8:17am
bernnet wrote:
Looks nice but a bit pricey.
No velcro.

It is expensive. But i believe it makes me able to rider longer and use less energy which is good since i get tired after 10-15 minutes lol. you also are standing more when you should be with more confidence because you feel more connected to the bike. In my view, dollar for dollar you get more benefit for your riding than a 400-1k exhaust which everybody (myself included) buys by default.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
7/17/2019 8:28am
I don't remember the following ever been discussed on here but here's another seat option to help grip the bike. I think they only make it for KTM models at the moment. It's not cheap either.

T-Fish
Fantasy
335th
7/17/2019 8:34am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
I don't remember the following ever been discussed on here but here's another seat option to help grip the bike. I think they only make it...
I don't remember the following ever been discussed on here but here's another seat option to help grip the bike. I think they only make it for KTM models at the moment. It's not cheap either.

Seats don’t come any uglier than that, but it probably works great!
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
7/17/2019 8:36am Edited Date/Time 7/17/2019 8:37am
T-Fish wrote:
Seats don’t come any uglier than that, but it probably works great!
LOL. I didn't say it was pretty. Probably does work great for off-road riding.

Vital needs to get their hands on one for a review.
AJ565
7/17/2019 8:43am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
I don't remember the following ever been discussed on here but here's another seat option to help grip the bike. I think they only make it...

It looks like the seat is melting lol
opyguy
7/17/2019 9:34am
I use steg pegs,
Work great
Lynch
7/17/2019 9:51am
MXBen711 wrote:
Were the European GUTS Distributor, what bike do you need one for? I cant sell it to you, but i can give you the RRP for...
Were the European GUTS Distributor, what bike do you need one for?

I cant sell it to you, but i can give you the RRP for the EU and let you know a dealer
I know the RRP but they needed almost 50% more (import charges) to get me one due to the fact that no one else had even asked/requested one before.
I got new foam + onegripper cover for half of the RRP for Guts wing cover.
crusher773
7/17/2019 4:08pm
phatfi20 wrote:

-
-
-
Original post:

Riding with it:

yak651 wrote:
it's probably that guts Velcro. I bought one and it fits awful way too big no matter how you pull it. I was disappointed in mine for sure.
phatfi20
9/11/2019 6:17am Edited Date/Time 9/12/2019 5:07am
I thought I would post an update. After about 6 months or so and maybe 15 engine hours, the foam in the wing portion has broken down significantly. The foam still has its shape but it’s so soft now it doesn’t give a good bite and my knees slide through the wings and they are worthless.

This is just my seat...but pretty unhappy for spending $150. I contacted guts and they offered me 30% off a replacement. I’m bummed because I really liked it at first. Might try to modify it and put my own foam in. I’m not going to spent $115 on a seat cover every six months. I would probably buy stegs pegs in the future. They are ugly but having something to bite into on the bike is invaluable IMO.
grunkster
9/11/2019 8:44am
what did you do for a black cover on the little removeable front piece on the yam? or does guts sell them as well? Or a yam part#?
phatfi20
9/11/2019 5:12pm
The black cover came stock. I didn’t replace it.
Doddy
9/11/2019 5:31pm
yak651 wrote:
Haha, you must not have not used Guts before. At least his ribs are sewed on straight.....
Crossup
9/11/2019 7:19pm
I just bought a factory installed Guts Wing seat cover for my stock KTM seat. I plan on using it for woods riding. I'm looking forward to getting it next week to see if the concept works.
slipdog
9/11/2019 7:55pm
yak651 wrote:
Doddy wrote:
Haha, you must not have not used Guts before. At least his ribs are sewed on straight.....
I just had them build me a shorty CRF seat for my stumpy legs. Shaved it so well you can't tell it's not stock and the cover is perfect.

200x better than the last shorty I bought from SDG that looked like it was modified in a 7th grade home economics class.
Doddy
9/11/2019 8:41pm
slipdog wrote:
I just had them build me a shorty CRF seat for my stumpy legs. Shaved it so well you can't tell it's not stock and the...
I just had them build me a shorty CRF seat for my stumpy legs. Shaved it so well you can't tell it's not stock and the cover is perfect.

200x better than the last shorty I bought from SDG that looked like it was modified in a 7th grade home economics class.
Yeah, I hear some of you guys get a great seat. I have not had that experience. Mine is a good seat as long as you don't look too close. The first one they sent me was garbage. I'll just stop there.
Motofinne
9/11/2019 10:52pm
phatfi20 wrote:
I thought I would post an update. After about 6 months or so and maybe 15 engine hours, the foam in the wing portion has broken...
I thought I would post an update. After about 6 months or so and maybe 15 engine hours, the foam in the wing portion has broken down significantly. The foam still has its shape but it’s so soft now it doesn’t give a good bite and my knees slide through the wings and they are worthless.

This is just my seat...but pretty unhappy for spending $150. I contacted guts and they offered me 30% off a replacement. I’m bummed because I really liked it at first. Might try to modify it and put my own foam in. I’m not going to spent $115 on a seat cover every six months. I would probably buy stegs pegs in the future. They are ugly but having something to bite into on the bike is invaluable IMO.
This might be a Guts problem. I bought the firm foam and the velcro seat cover for my 19 Yamaha and the foam lost its "firmness" way, way too quickly. I got similar hours from it like you, around 15 hours before it was soft as a couch.

phatfi20
9/12/2019 5:00am
Motofinne wrote:
This might be a Guts problem. I bought the firm foam and the velcro seat cover for my 19 Yamaha and the foam lost its "firmness"...
This might be a Guts problem. I bought the firm foam and the velcro seat cover for my 19 Yamaha and the foam lost its "firmness" way, way too quickly. I got similar hours from it like you, around 15 hours before it was soft as a couch.

I have 60 hours on my stock seat foam. It’s been through more of the same abuse and it hasn’t broken down.

Post a reply to: Guts Wing Seat Cover Review

The Latest