Harley Electric not flying off dealer floors

newmann
Edited Date/Time 10/19/2019 5:35am
Never saw that coming! A 30k bike with a 90 mile range aimed at the hipster working at the coffee shop...el oh el

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-harley-davidson-electricbike-focus/ha…
|
kb228
10/10/2019 4:59am
I thought the range was like 300 miles?

MudPup545
10/10/2019 5:14am
kb228 wrote:

“The bike can travel 146 miles (235 km) in the city or 95 miles in combined city and highway riding per charge.”

Quote from the article. That range is a joke.
GODZILLA
10/10/2019 5:16am
Who'd want a Harley without the legendary potato-potato-potato sound?
Tongue

The Shop

Casting
10/10/2019 5:25am
Shocking.

There is a Mongols clubhouse in town, I'll know hell has frozen over when I see an electric bike parked outside.
newmann
10/10/2019 5:29am
This one nail in H&D coffin is for ALTA. Wink
Smile

Since our house has flooded twice in two years, we have started looking at a few options for moving and having a little acreage where an ebike would probably fit in quite well.
kb228
10/10/2019 5:36am
kb228 wrote:

MudPup545 wrote:
“The bike can travel 146 miles (235 km) in the city or 95 miles in combined city and highway riding per charge.” Quote from the article...
“The bike can travel 146 miles (235 km) in the city or 95 miles in combined city and highway riding per charge.”

Quote from the article. That range is a joke.
Ok yea thats terrible. Thats not even a 2 hour ride.

Whoever pushed this at harley is an idiot.
early
Fantasy
2212th
10/10/2019 5:56am

greenmx5
10/10/2019 6:00am
30k a bike? 11k for a 450 these days is out of control, but almost triple that is absurd.
Boomslang
Fantasy
548th
10/10/2019 6:04am
Here in Africa a Harley is a status symbol...the louder the better...the owners want to announce the arrival of all the Chrome. It's a pain in the arse.....and in my books, the only difference between a Hoover Vacuum cleaner and a HD is the position of the dirtbag.

Electric HD's go against what HD's are all about....noise and vibration.
10/10/2019 6:09am Edited Date/Time 10/10/2019 6:11am
30k is the killer. That's stupid in the current market where you can get an equivalent/better for FAR less. IF they actually priced this for the market (12-15k) it would be selling. I bet the program managers and engineers that made the thing are jumping up and down trying to make that point, but marketing and pricing got a hold of it and went nuts.

I think their development and overhead costs are WAY too high to be competitive on price unless they were willing to lose money on each unit sold. HD will have to lean out substantially to make their electric push viable.

I'll be very interested to see if they develop their electric bike that is similar to the styling of the Sur-Ron. If they hold true to their pricing strategy it will come into the market ~9.9k. If that is correct it will enter the market dead on delivery.

I was hopeful for HD's electric market entry. Even thinking about putting some money into stock. BUT, they have totally missed the mark. There is no (or very little) luxury market for electric motorcycles. The hipsters and millennial market want cheap and streamlined (smaller).
gt80rider
10/10/2019 6:27am
Like shown above.... The price point and short highway range make that bike very hard to buy....
71Fish
10/10/2019 6:34am
Boomslang wrote:
Here in Africa a Harley is a status symbol...the louder the better...the owners want to announce the arrival of all the Chrome. It's a pain in...
Here in Africa a Harley is a status symbol...the louder the better...the owners want to announce the arrival of all the Chrome. It's a pain in the arse.....and in my books, the only difference between a Hoover Vacuum cleaner and a HD is the position of the dirtbag.

Do you tell a lot of dad jokes or something. Those are the lamest, oldest HD jokes besides marking its spot with oil.
Hman144
Fantasy
714th
10/10/2019 6:39am Edited Date/Time 10/13/2019 9:24am
If you're into heavyweight street, HD has some cool stuff hitting the pavement now and in the near future. Not sure I'd count the Livewire among those.

The construction of the bike is very progressive, though.
crusher773
10/10/2019 6:43am Edited Date/Time 10/10/2019 6:46am
I got to ride that thing several years ago when they were doing a demo tour. I put on my survey it needs to be priced right around the same as a Sportster because that is what it's a replacement for. It was a really small bike not much bigger than a Grom it felt like. $30K is way over priced on it.
Anyone with that money is going to buy a big touring bike. They are aimed at the hipster dufuss, them dudes got no money. $30k on a Harley or $1500 on a Vespa. Duh they still need to have money for kale burgers or whatever they eat.
xrmark
10/10/2019 6:49am Edited Date/Time 10/10/2019 6:49am
Boomslang wrote:
Here in Africa a Harley is a status symbol...the louder the better...the owners want to announce the arrival of all the Chrome. It's a pain in...

71Fish wrote:
Do you tell a lot of dad jokes or something. Those are the lamest, oldest HD jokes besides marking its spot with oil.
So what kind of Harley do you have? Lol those really weren’t jokes. Just facts. Harleys are lame
kb228
10/10/2019 7:05am
Boomslang wrote:

71Fish wrote:
xrmark wrote:
So what kind of Harley do you have? Lol those really weren’t jokes. Just facts. Harleys are lame
Careful before you offend one of the goofballs that pay $30,000 to dress up in assless chaps to look “cool”
kb228
10/10/2019 7:13am
newmann wrote:
Doesn't look like it is going to get better for Harley anytime soon.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/young-people-quitting-jobs-why

As a 25 year old millennial, i can say that article is just aiding in making excuses to not work.

Most “mental health” diagnoses are self diagnosed. Want to know how many people within 5 years of my age claim to have depression? Seemingly all of them.

Theres an epidemic of girls on facebook and instagram borderline bragging about having depression or bipolar issues as if its a good thing.

People my age seem to want to take a pill to fix their problems or use as a scape goat instead of improve their own disciplinary skills
newmann
10/10/2019 7:22am
What is currently shaping up to be offered soon in the e dirt bike market? I snapped these mini pics at the RBSR the other day and saw Vital had a short vid.

JM485
10/10/2019 7:24am
newmann wrote:

kb228 wrote:
As a 25 year old millennial, i can say that article is just aiding in making excuses to not work. Most “mental health” diagnoses are self...
As a 25 year old millennial, i can say that article is just aiding in making excuses to not work.

Most “mental health” diagnoses are self diagnosed. Want to know how many people within 5 years of my age claim to have depression? Seemingly all of them.

Theres an epidemic of girls on facebook and instagram borderline bragging about having depression or bipolar issues as if its a good thing.

People my age seem to want to take a pill to fix their problems or use as a scape goat instead of improve their own disciplinary skills
Depends entirely on who you surround yourself with, I don’t see any of that crap because I surround myself with people who want to succeed and make something out of life. I don’t follow people who are hell bent on ruining their own life or dragging others down with them. This generation isn’t nearly as bad as the media wants them to be.
mauidex
10/10/2019 7:25am
smartest thing Harley did was buy StayC...............now if they can somehow survive the next 20 years maybe they'll be onto something?!??!WhistlingWhistling
newmann
10/10/2019 7:25am
newmann wrote:

kb228 wrote:
As a 25 year old millennial, i can say that article is just aiding in making excuses to not work. Most “mental health” diagnoses are self...

Yep, when all they really need to do is get their ass back to work and make some money. Amazing how much less stress there is when you can actually pay your bills.
10/10/2019 7:33am
There are Lazy POS' of all ages. I think I'm mathematically a 'millennial". Most I know work like the rest of us.

As far as the next dirt E-Bike. I'm very interested in what the Sur-Ron Storm shapes up to be. It will have cheaper components, but those can always be upgraded. I have the Light Bee and it's a very fun little bike. I've hammered it and it hasn't given any indication of any issues. It was also VERY reasonably priced at $3500 shipped to my door.

If the Storm is also competitively priced I'll probably get one just for fun. I'm hoping for the 5 to 6k range.

Sur Ron Storm
early
Fantasy
2212th
10/10/2019 7:41am
newmann wrote:

So, are we blaming Harley for selling a ridiculously over priced and under performing motorcycle (again)

OR

Are we blaming people under 37 for not being able to spend $30K on a motorcycle?

I can't keep up.
Keith72
10/10/2019 7:46am
Not all Harley Davidson riders are the same. Some of us are reasonably normal. Not all if us worship Sturgis.
reded
10/10/2019 7:48am
The majority of my employees are millennial aged. They work in a climate controlled warehouse, making $13-$16/hr with full benefits. Every one of them is out of vacation 2 months after receiving their yearly accrual which has forced us to go to a monthly accrual. 3 out of 5 will be late for work on any given day. They all bitch about not making enough money yet will go home early on slow days instead of staying and doing work (cleaning) that they don’t want to do. Not one of them will go the extra mile to prove that they have leadership ability which could net them a couple dollars more per hour and don’t even mention the word overtime. I had one guy go to the ER before work on a sat morning just to prove that he was too sick to come to work. He was seen later that afternoon by a co-worker playing in a softball tournament.
These people have ZERO interest in a battery powered motorcycle. The only thing they care about is their new phone and who posted what on FB.
ATKpilot99
10/10/2019 8:20am
reded wrote:
The majority of my employees are millennial aged. They work in a climate controlled warehouse, making $13-$16/hr with full benefits. Every one of them is out...
The majority of my employees are millennial aged. They work in a climate controlled warehouse, making $13-$16/hr with full benefits. Every one of them is out of vacation 2 months after receiving their yearly accrual which has forced us to go to a monthly accrual. 3 out of 5 will be late for work on any given day. They all bitch about not making enough money yet will go home early on slow days instead of staying and doing work (cleaning) that they don’t want to do. Not one of them will go the extra mile to prove that they have leadership ability which could net them a couple dollars more per hour and don’t even mention the word overtime. I had one guy go to the ER before work on a sat morning just to prove that he was too sick to come to work. He was seen later that afternoon by a co-worker playing in a softball tournament.
These people have ZERO interest in a battery powered motorcycle. The only thing they care about is their new phone and who posted what on FB.
Whoa you're poking the hornets nest there ...well not nearly as scary as a hornets nest but you get the idea.
10/10/2019 8:22am
reded wrote:
The majority of my employees are millennial aged. They work in a climate controlled warehouse, making $13-$16/hr with full benefits. Every one of them is out...
As this thread on the viability of HD's electric bike and electric bikes in general as derailed...

I don't know what kind of work you do or hire for, but you hire the quality you get. If you have a low IQ requirement job that doesn't pay that much you'll get low IQ workers and high turnover rate. That is exasperated if you don't have an upward path that has large gains. $1-2 more per hour for much more responsibility and work is not worth it for most.

Yes, low pay is subjective to the worker getting it. I can tell you, however, that unique incentives and 'perks' are a huge benefit for today's younger worker. From my experience in leading and hiring, teaming has become a much bigger aspect. That means group events, public recognition for a job well done, etc. Basically something for each week. I really enjoyed what I called "Fat Pill Friday". I'd bring in really good donuts every Friday along with everyone's favorite drink of their choice. Small cost to me and the company, but it had really good benefits. Not many took Friday's off!

Basically, you need to adapt to the every-changing workforce. If you go by the 'Well in my day' mentality you will not be successful or have fun in the process. I found creating resonance through autonomy, empowerment, and appreciation are the 3 most fundamental and powerful concepts in leading a solid team.

Ok. Off my stump.

Give electric and battery tech between 10-15 years and we'll revisit threads reminiscing the viability of the tech. Right now, mining and manufacturing negates the 'positives' of lithium-ion and we're plateau'd at it's capability without thermal runaway (See Samsung's Note 5). My money is on Graphene at the moment. We'll see.

Well, this is likely longer than anyone will read!

Post a reply to: Harley Electric not flying off dealer floors

The Latest