Has Covid affected your moto spending plans for 2020?

Edited Date/Time 4/23/2020 6:15pm
I'm curious how many guys were planning on buying a new bike and have changed their plans due financial impact from covid?

Even if not a new bike, has it affected your plans to buy expensive moto gear like boots, helmet, aftermarket parts, etc?
|
crusher773
4/23/2020 2:11pm
I wonder how many peoples plans have changed for things like Loretta's. If they go to these super regionals will there be less or more people? I can see it both ways but wonder how many people lost jobs and just won't be able to afford it.
chump6784
4/23/2020 2:14pm
It's saved me a shit tonne of money.

If not for corona by now we'd have had 4 overnight stays in various motels, track fees, couple of sets of tyres, oils and consumables plus licence renewals. Add on that the travel to the events. I probably would have bought a set of boots by now too as the soles on mine were getting worn out but this just pushes new boots back.

I'm lucky my business has not really been affected so my income hasn't dropped but my spending on moto has dropped purely because we can't ride.
Once everything starts up again the spending will start again.

It's crazy to think how this affects businesses though. When my wife rang to cancel accommodation at one place the guy told her that she was the 40th person to cancel. The longer this goes on the less likely we'll even get a chance to book there again this year
PACman786
4/23/2020 2:24pm
If anything it has allowed me to spend more than i planned, i've been lucky enough to continue working. With the tracks not open and saving money on gas by working at home i was able to get some extra stuff i wasn't planning on getting. This winter I got my frame powder coated, new piston and rings, fresh clutch plates/springs, got my suspension tuned, and various blingy parts and a new helmet that i didn't plan to do initially. Might even be able to get an exhaust system if tracks don't open in may.

The Shop

KirkChandler
Fantasy
385th
4/23/2020 2:27pm
Was planning on going a 3 week trip to Italy to go to the Maggoria MXGP, Monaco F1, and Mugello MotoGP. That’s not happening now.

Waiting to see if Mammoth is happening, being postponed to later in the summer? That’s always a couple thousand all in (parts/tires/entries/condo/fuel).

Also wanted to go up to Washougal and do the amateur day/watch the national. Kinda in a wait and see on that as well.
pbody
Fantasy
347th
4/23/2020 2:46pm
Down to 1 income now....everything has been put on hold for all extra-curricular spending and planning for future races/travel. I'm still working, but, I could be affected sooner than later if this continues. Sux!
FWYT
4/23/2020 2:47pm Edited Date/Time 4/23/2020 5:49pm
Got laid off. On a Top Ramen diet and not buying anything.
4/23/2020 2:58pm Edited Date/Time 4/23/2020 3:00pm
was gonna run some races, one would have been next weekend. i am now running zero races, on the other hand ive worked out every single day the last month and started cycling. so my spending is now down. last year at this time I was going to the track wednesday, thursday, saturday and sunday. The occasional friday as well if a particular track was open so at $25 a pop im saving quite a bit
mike_v812
4/23/2020 3:00pm
I bought a brand new bike like 6 days before shit hit the fan havent rode it at all, I’m doing construction building schools so I haven’t missed a beat and have actually gotten overtime, but I’m up on cash like everyone else from hanging at home, but I’m thinking even when the economy gets going there might be some residual effects and certain industries like mine may take the hit later Down the road, so for the next year or so I’m trying to be conservative. Had I know all this was about to happen in would not have got a new bike.
jeffro503
4/23/2020 3:02pm
It hasn't affected me buying a new bike , as I'm happy with what I have , but I'm not willing to take a chance on getting hurt and going to a hospital at the moment. Getting hurt last summer at a big vet race has detoured me a bit as well , but still , staying off the bikes for a little bit longer. Money towards the sport has a bit to do with it as well. Combination of things I guess. Gotta protect what I have , before I risk spending anything.

M-M
4/23/2020 3:04pm
Bought a yz 125 last winter ,ready for some summer practice after 6 years away from riding. Owell, always next year....hopefully 🤣
TreeFiddy
Fantasy
8th
4/23/2020 3:17pm
I was heading to the us to watch the first 3 outdoor rounds and do some riding with CMH but that's all delayed for now.Havnt slowed on the riding back home,this weekend will be my 18th consecutive one out on the bikes.Went and picked up a second hand 125 last weekend so looking forward to ripping it up on that Cool
Jon_Haynes
Fantasy
1195th
4/23/2020 4:45pm
I was going to buy a 7x16 enclosed trailer, but I am holding off for now.
PJRAUS
4/23/2020 5:04pm Edited Date/Time 4/23/2020 5:07pm
I just renewed my licence and club membership,pre entered a couple of races, that lot came to over $600, then $750 for some new tech 10's then about $600 on an order of assorted parts and a couple of helmets from rocky mountain atv in the states and about another $600 on new tyres from mx store here in Aus...then boom! This shit hit the fan...
Ironically I had decided to go ahead and have one last decent year racing because I figured that 2020 would likely be the last year that we see motocross racing in Australia...my reasoning stemming from my interest ( going back to about 2004 ) in the global financial system..how it works and how events are likely to effect Australia...also the sport has already been shrinking significantly for years
Long story short, when the repo crisis hit in September last year and steadily worsened, I took that as the signal that the big meltdown , the one that should have happened in 2008 was finally underway. With Australia having the highest personal debt levels in the world...well in my opinion its very soon going to be game over..
People in this country wont have the disposable income to afford an elitist sport like mx...so I figured its my last chance.
Now that the virus has dramatically sped up the meltdown process my viewpoint is increasingly pessimistic.
I still maintain some blind faith and hope that all will be well, I have to to maintain some sanity.
But if by some miracle , central bank trickery overcomes basic and historically proven economic reality...then Im probably not going to bother with racing, instead I will be buying a new ktm 85 big wheel ( im small enough and light enough) and will chase the kids around at the local track as well as riding my big bikes and saving for an already restored 1980 or 81 model yz 125 to ride on our retro days
aaryn #234
Fantasy
2471st
4/23/2020 5:07pm
chump6784 wrote:
It's saved me a shit tonne of money. If not for corona by now we'd have had 4 overnight stays in various motels, track fees, couple...
It's saved me a shit tonne of money.

If not for corona by now we'd have had 4 overnight stays in various motels, track fees, couple of sets of tyres, oils and consumables plus licence renewals. Add on that the travel to the events. I probably would have bought a set of boots by now too as the soles on mine were getting worn out but this just pushes new boots back.

I'm lucky my business has not really been affected so my income hasn't dropped but my spending on moto has dropped purely because we can't ride.
Once everything starts up again the spending will start again.

It's crazy to think how this affects businesses though. When my wife rang to cancel accommodation at one place the guy told her that she was the 40th person to cancel. The longer this goes on the less likely we'll even get a chance to book there again this year
Same here!

We managed to get in two races this year, both interstate, one used as a semi family holiday. Since then I have spent a total of about $7 on petrol to take my son riding twice!

I had worked out that in the months of April and May I was looking at over $2000 at least in race entries and licences, that was before taking any bikes off the stand.

Then there were the travel costs, accommodation, parts and the rest of it.

It was also going to be my son's last year in the 50 class, so not only have we put off buying a second 65, we are also now selling a 50.

I have been riding and racing for the past 18 years straight, the last 3-4 with the two of us riding, I have often wondered how my bank account would look if we stopped, it has been less than two months and the bank account already looks ten times better despite a little reduced income lol.

But at the same time, I need a ride and I think my wife is actually looking forward to the day I take the boy and leave the house for a few weekends and go racing Laughing
RVT420
4/23/2020 5:15pm
It hit right when I was about to buy a bike but I waited for about two weeks to see what my job was gonna do and they said the Plant don’t plan on shutting down so I went and picked up my 2020 but no track are really open near me at the moment, just waiting on some miscellaneous parts to come in

sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
4/23/2020 5:30pm
RVT420 wrote:
It hit right when I was about to buy a bike but I waited for about two weeks to see what my job was gonna do...
It hit right when I was about to buy a bike but I waited for about two weeks to see what my job was gonna do and they said the Plant don’t plan on shutting down so I went and picked up my 2020 but no track are really open near me at the moment, just waiting on some miscellaneous parts to come in

Is sitting on it while you watch tv considered seat time ? Laughing

Congrats that things bitchin, hope you can ride it soon !
Spooner
4/23/2020 6:15pm
I've been spending more as I'm saving at least $500 a month in fuel and my business is still going really well. Bought a new bike right before the shutdown and have done more to it than I expected to right away and I've gotten to ride at least once a week the last several weeks. Sitting at home so much starting at my bike I end up talking myself into more and more parts lol!
RVT420
4/23/2020 6:17pm
RVT420 wrote:
It hit right when I was about to buy a bike but I waited for about two weeks to see what my job was gonna do...

sumdood wrote:
Is sitting on it while you watch tv considered seat time ? Laughing

Congrats that things bitchin, hope you can ride it soon !
I wish! Lol thanks man I was ready to buy a Ktm but last minute went with Yamaha. Now just wait for some tracks to open that ain’t 3hrs away.
4/23/2020 7:05pm
Yeah, I am buying stuff I don't need. New pegs and getting the suspension done on the bike when everything is closed.
tobz
4/23/2020 7:08pm
I put a deposit down On a 2020 wr450f a few days before lockdowns kicked in and the world turned to shit. Cancelled my order and the dealer kindly refunded my deposit.

Felt irresponsible dropping 15k on a toy when the future was very unknown. Starting to get reasonable in thinking of going back and picking the bike up soon. Another month will tell
racerx217
4/23/2020 7:37pm
Essential employee, i don't have time to spend on anything except for gas and food.
moto804
4/23/2020 8:24pm
Was planning on going a 3 week trip to Italy to go to the Maggoria MXGP, Monaco F1, and Mugello MotoGP. That’s not happening now. Waiting...
Was planning on going a 3 week trip to Italy to go to the Maggoria MXGP, Monaco F1, and Mugello MotoGP. That’s not happening now.

Waiting to see if Mammoth is happening, being postponed to later in the summer? That’s always a couple thousand all in (parts/tires/entries/condo/fuel).

Also wanted to go up to Washougal and do the amateur day/watch the national. Kinda in a wait and see on that as well.
That sounds like an absolutely epic trip!

Sucks you will miss out. I wonder what the chances are that schedules will line up like that again in the near future...
Chance1216
4/23/2020 11:04pm
I haven’t spent anything moto related. I’ve set up different carts for future purchases and that’s about it. Been home 4 weeks and finally got unemployment. At this point, I’m just so thankful I haven’t had to sell my bike.
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
4/23/2020 11:11pm
I have a list of stuff I want to buy that I could afford right now, and would normally have bought already. But I’m too paranoid to spend money on anything except bills and savings. The uncertain work/income situation has me nervous about spending money on “luxury” things right now.
4/24/2020 4:20am Edited Date/Time 4/24/2020 4:22am
I’m picking up a new bike today, if all goes well. The hard part in my area is going to be finding a place to ride it, unfortunately. All of the tracks within a couple hours of Indy are closed right now.
cody41
4/24/2020 4:41am
Putting money into my road bicycle and mtb vs the dirt bike. No point is fancying up the hog for it to sit.
dmm698
4/24/2020 4:56am
Bought a few general wear parts for both bikes, and a few general items for the 3 stand up jetskis i've got in the garage. No Tracks open in NY so saving money because cant ride. Worked from home for a few weeks and now back to working in the office.

If I wasnt closing on my first home in less than a month i'd be snatching up cool parts people decided to quit sitting on and list for sale!
SweetDaddy
4/24/2020 4:56am
Got new graphix and plastics.
Bought my daughters a Cannondale and a Specialized.
Waiting on my 10K refund from my Alaska cruise that was cancelled.

Post a reply to: Has Covid affected your moto spending plans for 2020?

The Latest