Help! 1989 KDX200 vs 1991 YZ250

2/7/2020 1:53pm Edited Date/Time 2/7/2020 2:03pm
Think it's worth paying 2100 (cdn) for a 1997 kdx 220? It's not in as nice of shape cosmetically as the 89 though. Is the 200...
Think it's worth paying 2100 (cdn) for a 1997 kdx 220? It's not in as nice of shape cosmetically as the 89 though. Is the 200 a better all round bike?
They are equally decent bike, but the difference in parts available and OEM/Aftermarket support in favor the later ('95-06) H-Series is pretty big

Other differences of note:

'97 has more modern ergos and styling.
As mentioned before, the '95-'06 design resolved issues with sheared KIPs valves common on previous generation.
Some say the '89 has more low end power.
'97 has cartridge forks, while '89 has damping rod.
'97 has twin piston front brake caliper vs single piston on '89.
'89 has a larger stock fuel tank.
'89 has a slightly lower seat height.

2/7/2020 2:06pm
Think it's worth paying 2100 (cdn) for a 1997 kdx 220? It's not in as nice of shape cosmetically as the 89 though. Is the 200...
Think it's worth paying 2100 (cdn) for a 1997 kdx 220? It's not in as nice of shape cosmetically as the 89 though. Is the 200 a better all round bike?
They are equally decent bike, but the difference in parts available and OEM/Aftermarket support in favor the later ('95-06) H-Series is pretty big Other differences of...
They are equally decent bike, but the difference in parts available and OEM/Aftermarket support in favor the later ('95-06) H-Series is pretty big

As mentioned before, the '95-'06 design resolved issues with sheared KIPs valves common on previous generation.

Thanks, the 89 it is.
bonseff
2/7/2020 2:33pm
Another thing to consider on the KDX, you could buy an entire front end off a newer kx and upgrade your forks. All Balls has conversion kits. I put a 2001 CR250 front end on my 1989 CR125. Just keep your eyes open for part-outs.
2/7/2020 2:46pm Edited Date/Time 2/7/2020 2:47pm
They are equally decent bike, but the difference in parts available and OEM/Aftermarket support in favor the later ('95-06) H-Series is pretty big Other differences of...

Thanks, the 89 it is.
Didn't see that you were comparing the 200 to the 220 in addition to the '89 vs '97

All the things I said about '89 vs '97 apply plus:

220 is tuned for more bottom end power
200 has a larger bore carb stock and is tuned for more top end power
220 had potential issues with stock pistons breaking apart at their skirt. This is resolved by switching to a forged aftermarket piston. This problem was not experienced with 200s.

The Shop

SLAPAHO
Fantasy
638th
2/7/2020 8:54pm
look at the difference in technology, look at just the front suspension alone. that kdx is 10 years behind in everything... do whatever you think is best... do yourself a favor and google some tests on that yz...

just my opinion, but i'm reading some seriously idiotic, uninformed opinions on that yz. That bike destroys that shitbox kdx on any day, in any test, in any condition with anyone on it.... quit lying to the kid. what a joke
2/7/2020 9:05pm
SLAPAHO wrote:
look at the difference in technology, look at just the front suspension alone. that kdx is 10 years behind in everything... do whatever you think is...
look at the difference in technology, look at just the front suspension alone. that kdx is 10 years behind in everything... do whatever you think is best... do yourself a favor and google some tests on that yz...

just my opinion, but i'm reading some seriously idiotic, uninformed opinions on that yz. That bike destroys that shitbox kdx on any day, in any test, in any condition with anyone on it.... quit lying to the kid. what a joke
Not really looking for the fastest bike. Just wanted something reliable that I can boot around on. I think I got that.
SLAPAHO
Fantasy
638th
2/7/2020 9:17pm
SLAPAHO wrote:
look at the difference in technology, look at just the front suspension alone. that kdx is 10 years behind in everything... do whatever you think is...

Not really looking for the fastest bike. Just wanted something reliable that I can boot around on. I think I got that.
by all means, get whatever bike you want... but you are the one that posted a thread asking for opinions. My opinion is that you are buying a turd kdx 200 over a 91 yz 250... do as you will..
do yourself a favor and read up on both bikes and then make an informed decision... good luck!
BobbyM
2/7/2020 10:30pm
KDX has a super beginner friendly power delivery. Lots of torque down low and smooth into the mid range. The suspension is very plush as is...
KDX has a super beginner friendly power delivery. Lots of torque down low and smooth into the mid range. The suspension is very plush as is the seat.

The YZ's engine will feel abrupt and almost uncontrollable at times, to a new rider. Also, the YZ will be taller with stiffer suspension.

Both bikes are water cooled two strokes with front and rear disc brakes.

Parts will be a little easier to come by on the KDX as more were sold of that generation. Used parts that is... because neither Yamaha nor Kawasaki make OEM replacements for 20-year old bikes. There will be some aftermarket support for each, but things like cases, cylinders, powervalves those are usually only obtained through part-outs on ebay, ect.

I'd def take the KDX and not think twice about it.
KDX hands down
yz133rider
2/7/2020 10:32pm
SLAPAHO wrote:

SLAPAHO wrote:
by all means, get whatever bike you want... but you are the one that posted a thread asking for opinions. My opinion is that you are...
by all means, get whatever bike you want... but you are the one that posted a thread asking for opinions. My opinion is that you are buying a turd kdx 200 over a 91 yz 250... do as you will..
do yourself a favor and read up on both bikes and then make an informed decision... good luck!
Horses for courses. Those kdx's are incredibly effective bikes on trails.
2/8/2020 2:25pm Edited Date/Time 2/8/2020 2:39pm
Picked up the bike, really happy with it. Starts right up first kick runs strong. Full FMF exhaust too.

Only issue it's seems to have is some choppy acceleration in first and second but once you hit the powerband it throws you back real quick.

I'm hoping the issue is just the old gas or it just needs to be run after sitting for so long. I'll mess with the air/idle screw some too.

loftyair
2/8/2020 2:50pm
It would be mostly used for trail riding, logging roads and back country roads.

That right there says kdx all over it. Yz not made for that.
SLAPAHO
Fantasy
638th
2/8/2020 2:51pm
Picked up the bike, really happy with it. Starts right up first kick runs strong. Full FMF exhaust too. Only issue it's seems to have is...
Picked up the bike, really happy with it. Starts right up first kick runs strong. Full FMF exhaust too.

Only issue it's seems to have is some choppy acceleration in first and second but once you hit the powerband it throws you back real quick.

I'm hoping the issue is just the old gas or it just needs to be run after sitting for so long. I'll mess with the air/idle screw some too.

put some fresh gas it in and a new plug... congrats!

2/8/2020 3:02pm Edited Date/Time 2/8/2020 3:40pm
Picked up the bike, really happy with it. Starts right up first kick runs strong. Full FMF exhaust too. Only issue it's seems to have is...

SLAPAHO wrote:
put some fresh gas it in and a new plug... congrats!

Also, check the KIPS sub-valves.

Post a reply to: Help! 1989 KDX200 vs 1991 YZ250

The Latest