Hierarchy of Two Stroke Hop Ups

AK74
2/27/2018 1:30pm Edited Date/Time 2/27/2018 1:31pm
AK74 wrote:
@Derek: are you referring to Jan Witteveen at Aprilia? I interviewed him not longer after he went into semi-retirement, and he was an absolute gold mine...
@Derek: are you referring to Jan Witteveen at Aprilia? I interviewed him not longer after he went into semi-retirement, and he was an absolute gold mine of knowledge. He was the engineering brain behind Cagiva's two MX world titles before going to Aprilia, where he built absolute rocketships. His bike collection is stunning too.
Wasn't Witteveen with a Chinese team to develop a 125cc to race the 125 MotoGP series with several years ago? At least that's what I thought...
Wasn't Witteveen with a Chinese team to develop a 125cc to race the 125 MotoGP series with several years ago? At least that's what I thought I read somewhere. I don't know if they ever got a machine together and then the format was changed to Moto3. I thought at the time we might see some high performance two stroke engine offerings out of China. Of course in today's world it'd probably be a small market to fill.
Yes, he (Witteveen) was contracted to design and build a motor for a Chinese-backed team, but the project failed for various reasons.
erik_94COBRA
2/27/2018 1:37pm
AK74 wrote:
@Derek: are you referring to Jan Witteveen at Aprilia? I interviewed him not longer after he went into semi-retirement, and he was an absolute gold mine...
@Derek: are you referring to Jan Witteveen at Aprilia? I interviewed him not longer after he went into semi-retirement, and he was an absolute gold mine of knowledge. He was the engineering brain behind Cagiva's two MX world titles before going to Aprilia, where he built absolute rocketships. His bike collection is stunning too.
vikingBoy wrote:
I think he is referring to Jan Thiel, the mastermind behind the RSW/RSA 125. There is a reason that 2 strokes never took off as road...
I think he is referring to Jan Thiel, the mastermind behind the RSW/RSA 125.

There is a reason that 2 strokes never took off as road going vehicles in the 70’s. The (4 stroke) engineers slaighted to develop the 2 stroke car admitted after years of research and millions dumped into the project, that they couldn’t figure out these 2 strokes. The simplicity of the engine is only on the surface, the complexity of the gas exchange process is the black art, as Derek was referring to. If these researchers and engineers new enough about the complexity back then, maybe things would be different now. Honda shit canned the 2 stroke right when their leading engineer had a breakthrough (the info is out there if you search), but Honda new that profits were in the 4 stroke, and for whatever reason Mr. Honda hated 2 strokes. There still is a bunch of shade tree mechanics and home hobbiests that are developing the 2 stroke and trying to take it to the next step. Imagine if the 2 stroke had the money and resources poured into it that the 4 stroke had gotten all these years...
Do you have any more info on this Honda breakthrough? First I have read about this.
FWYT
2/27/2018 4:40pm
Loving the tech talk in this thread. Carry on.
YamahaJT1
2/27/2018 6:20pm Edited Date/Time 2/27/2018 6:32pm
I completely agree with Derek Harris on this bit...

" A crank SHOULD be TRUED extremely well - this is more noticeable to vibration. Crank stiffness is really important - many failures in bearings are due to the halves wanting to bow/bend. The crank pin "straightness" is really important too - if it's slightly tapered or off it causes failure.
Case stiffness again is ultra important. Old worn cases loose power due to flex."

In my worthless opinion, despite being out of moto for nearly 3 decades but helping a 4th nationally ranked 125cc CR125 Kart racer provided much insight.

The major concern is the CASES after full-on bearing replacement. Engine moves like silk on the bench. Hell yes! Then you cram it into a 10 year old mildly bent dirt bike frame and bolt it down. Skip that long bolt that helps keep the chain guard in place that actually helps hold the halves together because it looks rad. Warm it up for a few minutes and roll it out gently...Or not. Some say "Blast that BITCH, MAKE IT YOURS! YA GOTTA SEAT THE RINGS!"

B.S.

3-4 heat cycles... 10-15 minute heat cycles/moderate throttle once warmed up to about 180/190F at the rads, fuel/mix of choice with complete cooling in between and an oil change after the second one and last one and keeping the bike vertically true during cooling has a profound effect on longevity. I even raise the ass/front in between/during cooling. Now replace the sacrificial piston unit. Always. It is expensive to keep a bike running well. This seats your case halves as needed as best you can on an old bike...

Now performance? Hmmmm...

The Shop

2/27/2018 6:42pm Edited Date/Time 2/27/2018 6:42pm
TJMX947 wrote:
When I was a kid (mid 90s) I drooled over the factory bikes. I've read Mitch Payton talking about lightened pistons in 125s, and MXA tested...
When I was a kid (mid 90s) I drooled over the factory bikes. I've read Mitch Payton talking about lightened pistons in 125s, and MXA tested a YZ125 that Chad Watts built which required a rebuild every 4 hours.

My question - What goes into one of these motors, and what would the order of operations be?

Seems like most guys stop at exhaust and the normal port/polish & head mods. Where do carb mods, balancing, blue printing, case matching all fit in? How different were 125s from 250s?
Two strokes are a thinking mans motor - and not a challenge of parts so much as four strokes are. The carb going larger/tapered/smaller whatever only...
Two strokes are a thinking mans motor - and not a challenge of parts so much as four strokes are.

The carb going larger/tapered/smaller whatever only works if it fits the "package" - sometimes increasing the qty of air in the crank cases will HURT power...sometimes it requires a completely different pipe or port combo etc.

Balancing is a "myth". No single cylinder engine can be truly balanced - so you pick a balance FACTOR. A rule of thumb is 50 percent - and you move this around to suit the harmonics of the chassis - or feel the rider may experience. A crank SHOULD be TRUED extremely well - this is more noticeable to vibration. Crank stiffness is really important - many failures in bearings are due to the halves wanting to bow/bend. The crank pin "straightness" is really important too - if it's slightly tapered or off it causes failure.
Case stiffness again is ultra important. Old worn cases loose power due to flex.

Special inertia changes that DONT change the balance factor have been done over the years with interesting results. The crank does not spin a constant "rpm" each revolution. This was measured in a neat sae paper by honda at some point.
Increasing the crank inertia holds the crank rpm more consistent - and generally is worth HP on the top end/over rev. Unfortunately in racing avenues where the engine must change RPM relatively quickly, often the higher inertia cranks were slower in lap times. This is true of some rod length combos too - often in recent times (karting) long rods make more power (with a slew of other changes). Sadly they also can loose out on lap times because of the added inertia.

Case matching as in the bearing pockets being true is critical. Other than that - it's mostly all bullshit. Same with "case porting". Sometimes on specific packages epoxy in the cases can help - but not always.

The single most important part is the pipe - closely followed by the SCAVENGING layout (not "port layout" as commonly thought) It makes all the HP. Without a pipe - a 125 will produce around 15-16 hp. Pipes and cylinder scavenging have evolved hand in hand over the years. For example - suck harder with a pipe - but the cylinder isn't right and lets it get sucked right out the exhaust port - no gain.
Cylinder improvement to trap that charge - gain.
Matching the pipe to the ignition curve - and to the compression ratio - is where the real nitty gritty lies.

In mx - since most people are limited to off the shelf pipes - you end up with a narrow window of ignition curve, compression, and porting combos. These combos best match the PIPE - but are the "best overall way to go".

If you closely follow 2 stroke tech over it's history - port sizes, timings/widths, stagger etc have been largely settled YEARS ago - as far back as the early 80's. You can only make the hole so big before the ring falls out. But scavenging technology CONTINUES to improve year by year - little by little.
In 1996 yamaha destroyed the mx market with it's new motor. The porting technology - upward angles A transfer (main) of about 25-30 degrees), lightly upward angled B transfer (secondary) of about 5-10, and there directional angles entering the bore - coupled with their short side turn radius and port tunnel size, were an offshoot of some specialized flow testing they did that won them the GP titles the following year.

The yz 125 power band/curve was chased ever since for years - and amazingly a 2018 yz125 hasn't changed much in the port arrangement from a 1996 model.

the same basic port idea is still close to state of the art - although the karting world and moto GP 125s took it to the next level. The aprilia rsa125 made over 55 hp at the sprocket - and was unstoppable (originally was a derbi) for years.

Honda's best effort was around 46 hp - with ktm in the middle near 50.

If you saw the rsa internals - all published if you look hard enough - and compared it to an mx engine - the casual observer wouldn't see much difference between it and a ktm 125/150.

But the dyno sees a HUGE difference. It's not polishing - or balancing - or "tricks" or coatings or magic that makes things go - just really smart people working really hard with big budgets and excellent resource to make and try things.

The man behind the aprilia dominated gp type racing from the 70's all the way to his retirement in mid 2000's....and single handedly took 125s from around 40 hp to 55. Amazing fellow.

Now days the italian kart guys are making almost 50 hp out of 125cc motors restricted by rules to a 30mm carb, straight line ignition (read shitty). These engines are offshoots of the aprilia - and in unrestricted form with large carbs and proper ignitions go about the same 55 hp.

In mx - the ktm125 is about as close in base design as you can get to a really good base point. With a proper pipe, ignition curve, and time and effort it could go 45 hp pretty easily.

The 250's were never chasing power. Ironically - because the two stroke IS limited to a power width dictated by the pipe resonance window - manufacturers were always chasing feel and delivery over power. Back then - 45-50 hp was considered "enough", but it was because more power resulted in a peakier delivery that was harder to ride good laps on - mostly for sx.
Now days the 450 is so wide and easy to tune with EFI/gearing that we can hit huge power numbers but still be easy to ride.

I'd say a best effort 250 two stroke that was rideable with all modern technology could hit around 55-57 hp and be SX capable - and 60 hp for outdoors would be doable. Super kart 250's are putting out 65 on production cr250 cylinders and ktm cylinders - but with pipes so large they wouldn't ever fit a dirtbike

Fake News, Derek. I have ridden one of your bikes and I'm still fat.
YamahaJT1
2/27/2018 7:06pm Edited Date/Time 2/27/2018 7:13pm
Indeed... For my 07' CR125 rebuild... New case halves. LOL! I am old (54), fat, have smoked Marlboros since I was 12, AND yet still stupid... Make the MF'er run like fury? Yes. $450 or so... Waste of money? Nope. Firm metal ROCKS.

EDIT:

I had a post up above, but the edit function doesn't permit adding a pic... Soft overworked case halves suck.
2/27/2018 7:23pm
I´d like to add some more details accounting for some of the huge power in GP125s as compared to mx125s. GP engines are built to be...
I´d like to add some more details accounting for some of the huge power in GP125s as compared to mx125s.

GP engines are built to be rebuilt after every single race meeting. This means, among many other things, the use of 0,7/0,6mm piston rings, drastically reducing the ring/cylinder friction. Gp engines also use both detonation counters and EGT sensors to help in getting the jetting/programmable ignitions just a hair from disaster PERFECT. The Aprilia 125 GP cases were water cooled, and, as mentioned above disc valves were used instead of a reed valve. As engines are rebuilt after very few KMs of running (and of course VERY accurate tolerances in crankcases, crankshafts,conrods etc, squish clearances of as little as 0,6mm can be used. Pretty evil race gas helped in setting up these packages, of course.

The 250cc v-twin GP engines made around 110hp using the same basic setup in a doubled up design at astronomic costs...

As in any race engine, 2 or 4 stroke, the type of gas used dictates the setup.

Bring it on! I love this! /Lasse
My sources tell me .8 rings on the 125

And surprisingly - the looser many things were - the faster they go....much to the disgrace of the parts department who likes to sell parts- piston to bore clearances were made looser with excellent results - squish was run greater than mechanical limit (aka not as tight as it could be), big end of the rod is loosened up side to side - bearing clearances are NOT spec'd ultra tight - and main bearings were NOT ceramic...

When weight matters - and it always does - you can not design a crank that wont flex. The flex causes failures and friction when tolerances get too tight...so it was found looser was better.

Anyone (and that means many home mechanics and tinkerers) who have tried to replace their engine bearings with CNC quality type ceramics - have quickly blown them up in short order. AKA some people try to use a c2 insanely high quality bearing vs a c5 - and things no worky very well.

The deto counters were only for data logging - not real time self adjusting ignition (at least on the RSA)
Modern moto ignitions are highly developed curves for the usage. More advance doesnt mean more power anymore in all cases.

Fuel was limited to unleaded at some point - and it was about a a 100 octane equivalent. Heads had to change, then pipes to suit, and of course the ignition to suit that - but ultimately aprilia went UP on power despite the fuel change.
Turns out - in a perfect world, the lower the compression ratio the more volume we have available to fill/charge the cylinder - and more energy we save for the pipe to do it's work with. This worked into their favor and power climbed something like 2 hp.

The rsa was about 16:1 uncorrected - nothing out of the relm of moto bikes by any stretch.
One item aprilia did have that mikuni still WONT sell - is a fuel injector esque power jet. They essentially controlled a variable fuel delivery vs rpm to help keep the pipe cool for off the corner drive - then shut off for max power and over rev. Ironically it was used on a del orto carb... go figure.

The ktm 65 has water cooled cases - as well as the tm85 and 100 - which I actually am curious on if is better or worse in moto.
It will absorb a huge amount of the heat generated by the clutch (if a clutch abuser is riding it) and put massive strain on the cooling system...on the dyno water cooled cases are clearly better.

Modern karts WITH reeds are about the same on power - which begs to question just how much farther the aprilia could have gone. Development really stopped around 2007.

A modern full effort 125 could easily go 45 hp in moto form and hold up. Past that would likely run into some issues that would be hard to solve.
The ktm is really close in many unique faucets, and employs a very, very modern cylinder utilizing many of the "secrets' the rsa had. 10k, 2 months and 45 would fall easily with one.

40 k and 4 months - I bet 48 hp would be easily eclipsed but likely not very reliable for moto.

YamahaJT1
2/27/2018 8:10pm Edited Date/Time 2/27/2018 8:49pm
Nice thread! Gotta hit the dirt/sleep, and NEVER underestimate the venerable125.

EDIT: Checked out all this prior to logging out. I had no idea who this "Derek Harris" fellow was, I just like working on engines...I'll just keep on doing what I know and did/do. I am FAR out of that league, but partially correct! I am smug... condescension and arguments abound.
2/27/2018 8:30pm
Derek -

Deto counters are used to log the number of detonations, thus helping in making accurate jetting choices. You are correct it's not a self adjusting closed loop system, but a big help in eliminating/reducing the traditional risks in jetting. Remember when one third of the field in GP 125s and 250s used to blow up during a race? This pretty much stopped after the introduction of the counters.

Regular Honda RS125 a-kit pistons use 0,8mm rings, the VHM ones are 0,7, and I've only heard the RSA/RSW125s used 0,6mm rings, never saw one IRL.

As for the tightness of engine bearings, you are absolutely right. Whereas on an mx125 engine the main bearings are usually C3 (sligtly looser/freer spinning than standard), the GP125s I've seen are using C5 main bearings.
jeffro503
2/27/2018 8:45pm
Two strokes are a thinking mans motor - and not a challenge of parts so much as four strokes are. The carb going larger/tapered/smaller whatever only...
Two strokes are a thinking mans motor - and not a challenge of parts so much as four strokes are.

The carb going larger/tapered/smaller whatever only works if it fits the "package" - sometimes increasing the qty of air in the crank cases will HURT power...sometimes it requires a completely different pipe or port combo etc.

Balancing is a "myth". No single cylinder engine can be truly balanced - so you pick a balance FACTOR. A rule of thumb is 50 percent - and you move this around to suit the harmonics of the chassis - or feel the rider may experience. A crank SHOULD be TRUED extremely well - this is more noticeable to vibration. Crank stiffness is really important - many failures in bearings are due to the halves wanting to bow/bend. The crank pin "straightness" is really important too - if it's slightly tapered or off it causes failure.
Case stiffness again is ultra important. Old worn cases loose power due to flex.

Special inertia changes that DONT change the balance factor have been done over the years with interesting results. The crank does not spin a constant "rpm" each revolution. This was measured in a neat sae paper by honda at some point.
Increasing the crank inertia holds the crank rpm more consistent - and generally is worth HP on the top end/over rev. Unfortunately in racing avenues where the engine must change RPM relatively quickly, often the higher inertia cranks were slower in lap times. This is true of some rod length combos too - often in recent times (karting) long rods make more power (with a slew of other changes). Sadly they also can loose out on lap times because of the added inertia.

Case matching as in the bearing pockets being true is critical. Other than that - it's mostly all bullshit. Same with "case porting". Sometimes on specific packages epoxy in the cases can help - but not always.

The single most important part is the pipe - closely followed by the SCAVENGING layout (not "port layout" as commonly thought) It makes all the HP. Without a pipe - a 125 will produce around 15-16 hp. Pipes and cylinder scavenging have evolved hand in hand over the years. For example - suck harder with a pipe - but the cylinder isn't right and lets it get sucked right out the exhaust port - no gain.
Matching the pipe to the ignition curve - and to the compression ratio - is where the real nitty gritty lies.

In mx - since most people are limited to off the shelf pipes - you end up with a narrow window of ignition curve, compression, and porting combos. These combos best match the PIPE - but are the "best overall way to go".

If you closely follow 2 stroke tech over it's history - port sizes, timings/widths, stagger etc have been largely settled YEARS ago - as far back as the early 80's. You can only make the hole so big before the ring falls out. But scavenging technology CONTINUES to improve year by year - little by little.
In 1996 yamaha destroyed the mx market with it's new motor. The porting technology - upward angles A transfer (main) of about 25-30 degrees), lightly upward angled B transfer (secondary) of about 5-10, and there directional angles entering the bore - coupled with their short side turn radius and port tunnel size, were an offshoot of some specialized flow testing they did that won them the GP titles the following year.

The yz 125 power band/curve was chased ever since for years - and amazingly a 2018 yz125 hasn't changed much in the port arrangement from a 1996 model.

the same basic port idea is still close to state of the art - although the karting world and moto GP 125s took it to the next level. The aprilia rsa125 made over 55 hp at the sprocket - and was unstoppable (originally was a derbi) for years.

If you saw the rsa internals - all published if you look hard enough - and compared it to an mx engine - the casual observer wouldn't see much difference between it and a ktm 125/150.

But the dyno sees a HUGE difference. It's not polishing - or balancing - or "tricks" or coatings or magic that makes things go - just really smart people working really hard with big budgets and excellent resource to make and try things.

The man behind the aprilia dominated gp type racing from the 70's all the way to his retirement in mid 2000's....and single handedly took 125s from around 40 hp to 55. Amazing fellow.

Now days the italian kart guys are making almost 50 hp out of 125cc motors restricted by rules to a 30mm carb, straight line ignition (read shitty). These engines are offshoots of the aprilia - and in unrestricted form with large carbs and proper ignitions go about the same 55 hp.

In mx - the ktm125 is about as close in base design as you can get to a really good base point. With a proper pipe, ignition curve, and time and effort it could go 45 hp pretty easily.

The 250's were never chasing power. Ironically - because the two stroke IS limited to a power width dictated by the pipe resonance window - manufacturers were always chasing feel and delivery over power. Back then - 45-50 hp was considered "enough", but it was because more power resulted in a peakier delivery that was harder to ride good laps on - mostly for sx.
Now days the 450 is so wide and easy to tune with EFI/gearing that we can hit huge power numbers but still be easy to ride.

I'd say a best effort 250 two stroke that was rideable with all modern technology could hit around 55-57 hp and be SX capable - and 60 hp for outdoors would be doable. Super kart 250's are putting out 65 on production cr250 cylinders and ktm cylinders - but with pipes so large they wouldn't ever fit a dirtbike

Jesus! Thanks for all that info Derek! That took some time.
Ebs
2/27/2018 9:34pm
Do you have any more info on this Honda breakthrough? First I have read about this.
Honda had some interesting stuff going on into the late 90's. Look up the Honda EXP-2 race bike they ran in Dakar, and the CRM250 AR production bike.

Some reading on the engine tech: http://dwolsten.tripod.com/articles/jan97.html
Jrewing
2/27/2018 11:46pm
Roadrace 125's went into the pits and head came off straight away.
As for the bearings they say an engine runs best just before let go...
My dream bike is an nsr250 Gp bike. I still remember the smell of the Gp Elf fuel...Sweet vanilla.
PJRAUS
2/28/2018 12:54am

jeffro503 wrote:
Jesus! Thanks for all that info Derek! That took some time.
Yes I agree and thank you Derek.
For me this is by far the most interesting thing I've ever read on vital...
I love two strokes and have a yz 125..my favourite bike...I can only imagine what things might be like if the sport returned to two strokes by means of dispensing with any displacement specific rules in relation to engine capacity...
Having said that, I enjoy riding my 450 and 250 yz four strokes...the power is certainly easy to use ,but in the case of the 450, the sheer weight of the bike is a problem for me at times.
A 125 two stroke will always be my favourite bike...
lumpy790
2/28/2018 6:37am
Had a 1981 RPM KX250 and that Turbo Crank worked. One of the quickest MC I ever raced.
vikingBoy
2/28/2018 7:50am
Ebs wrote:
Honda had some interesting stuff going on into the late 90's. Look up the Honda EXP-2 race bike they ran in Dakar, and the CRM250 AR...
Honda had some interesting stuff going on into the late 90's. Look up the Honda EXP-2 race bike they ran in Dakar, and the CRM250 AR production bike.

I tried to quickly look up the website that has the info, but it either is not up anymore, or I couldnt find it this time lol. Took me a while the first time. But basically the website was run by a guy who used to work for Honda in R&D, dont remember all the details but it was a EXP-2 variant with some newer tech, maybe the swirl injection port that you can see in patent apps. but that engine was run up against a 4 stroke with both engines displacement messaged to get about the same peak HP. It wasnt a lot, I think it was like 30hp maybe, but it was like a 100cc 2 stroke against a 180-200cc 4 stroke. The tests were for BSFC and emissions particulates. All I remember was that the HP of the 2 stroke was a tad more than the 4 stroke and torque was more linear than a usual 2 stroke, but BSFC was way down (unusual for a 2 stroke) and the hydrocarbons were below that of the 4 stroke by like 30-50% or something. And of coarse the main difference was in the NOx emissions that was cut by like 80%. The guy talks about how this breakthrough was literally discovered only days before Honda made the announcement that they would never make a 2 stroke again. Fuckin corporate bullshit bean counters!
TJMX947
2/28/2018 7:56am
Ebs wrote:
Honda had some interesting stuff going on into the late 90's. Look up the Honda EXP-2 race bike they ran in Dakar, and the CRM250 AR...

vikingBoy wrote:
I tried to quickly look up the website that has the info, but it either is not up anymore, or I couldnt find it this time...
I tried to quickly look up the website that has the info, but it either is not up anymore, or I couldnt find it this time lol. Took me a while the first time. But basically the website was run by a guy who used to work for Honda in R&D, dont remember all the details but it was a EXP-2 variant with some newer tech, maybe the swirl injection port that you can see in patent apps. but that engine was run up against a 4 stroke with both engines displacement messaged to get about the same peak HP. It wasnt a lot, I think it was like 30hp maybe, but it was like a 100cc 2 stroke against a 180-200cc 4 stroke. The tests were for BSFC and emissions particulates. All I remember was that the HP of the 2 stroke was a tad more than the 4 stroke and torque was more linear than a usual 2 stroke, but BSFC was way down (unusual for a 2 stroke) and the hydrocarbons were below that of the 4 stroke by like 30-50% or something. And of coarse the main difference was in the NOx emissions that was cut by like 80%. The guy talks about how this breakthrough was literally discovered only days before Honda made the announcement that they would never make a 2 stroke again. Fuckin corporate bullshit bean counters!
I remember an article that came out in the late 90s (97 or 98) about that Dakar bike. The cover of that magazine said something to the effect that the 2 stroke motorcycle is doomed. Sounds like an MXA sound bite or something. I was only like 12 at the time so the technical jargon was a little over my head but basically it spelled out that motocross bikes as we knew them would not be two strokes in the future...I remember getting really sad about it because I thought it meant motocross would basically die.
make1go
2/28/2018 8:03am
I can only geuss graham bells work is not rated here.??Sad
2/28/2018 10:51am
make1go wrote:
I can only geuss graham bells work is not rated here.??Sad
Of course most people tinkering with their 2-stroke have read the most common resources on the subject. I am by no means an expert in the field of high performance smokers, but I've had my share of them in different sizes and sorts of racing. I love the beautiful simplicity of the basic concept, and even more so the very intricate details of the best of the best in the different applications.

And yes, I am very much one of those not in love with the development of two wheeled racing since the replacement of the 2-strokes. What we have today is definitely very effective in quick lap times, but that's where the positives stop from where I see it.

Now share your best 2-stroke tech anecdotes folks!

Cheers/ Lasse
kott0n
Fantasy
3769th
2/28/2018 11:30am
The Honda 2 storke tech:
"With the utilization of a redesigned exhaust port valve and the ARC (Advanced Radical Combustion) system engaged, the engine would produce a pre-ignited combustion effect at low throttle that would completely burn all fuel in the chamber compared to how a conventional two-stroke engine would lose part of the intake charge.[1] The result decreased two major drawbacks of two-stroke technology of both incomplete combustion of fuel at low engine revolutions (RPM) and expulsion of unburned fuel at high RPM."

Was a 400cc 2 stroke.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_EXP-2
Micahdogg
2/28/2018 1:40pm
A crank SHOULD be TRUED extremely well - this is more noticeable to vibration. Crank stiffness is really important - many failures in bearings are due to the halves wanting to bow/bend. The crank pin "straightness" is really important too - if it's slightly tapered or off it causes failure.

Increasing the crank inertia holds the crank rpm more consistent - and generally is worth HP on the top end/over rev.

Really interesting stuff! I wonder how do you check for crank pin straightness?
Katoomey
2/28/2018 1:46pm Edited Date/Time 2/28/2018 1:47pm
Micahdogg wrote:
[quote]A crank SHOULD be TRUED extremely well - this is more noticeable to vibration. Crank stiffness is really important - many failures in bearings are due...
A crank SHOULD be TRUED extremely well - this is more noticeable to vibration. Crank stiffness is really important - many failures in bearings are due to the halves wanting to bow/bend. The crank pin "straightness" is really important too - if it's slightly tapered or off it causes failure.

Increasing the crank inertia holds the crank rpm more consistent - and generally is worth HP on the top end/over rev.

v-blocks and a dial indicator...like everything else.
Micahdogg
2/28/2018 2:12pm
I guess I don't understand how to measure that with a rod installed. I just can't picture it in my head.
newmann
2/28/2018 2:18pm
Micahdogg wrote:
[quote]A crank SHOULD be TRUED extremely well - this is more noticeable to vibration. Crank stiffness is really important - many failures in bearings are due...

Katoomey wrote:
BenG
2/28/2018 3:00pm Edited Date/Time 2/28/2018 3:01pm
Micahdogg wrote:

Katoomey wrote:
newmann wrote:
Andrew Cooksey seems like a good dude, has some history here in Texas. I just had him true my crank.
bigmaico
2/28/2018 4:55pm
Katoomey wrote:
newmann wrote:
BenG wrote:
Andrew Cooksey seems like a good dude, has some history here in Texas. I just had him true my crank.
Andrew is the only guy I trust to do my Maico cranks!

He does amazing work & Maico cranks are a bitch to work on!
Glen
2/28/2018 5:08pm
Ebs wrote:

Maybe I'm not remembering correctly, but I seem to remember that when Honda came out with the '02 250 and the RC valve, I had never seen anything like it. Then one day I was poking around ebay and saw a '96 CRM250 AR and it had what looked like the exact same power valve, right down to the RC cover. I poked around some more and even found an '89 CRM250 which also had an RC valve.

So I just thought it was weird that it was so highly touted when it came out in '02 when it looks like it's been around forever lol

Post a reply to: Hierarchy of Two Stroke Hop Ups

The Latest