High Point

kevkx125
Edited Date/Time 5/11/2020 2:33pm
Did any one go to high point ride day today? What were the track conditions like , weather condtitions?
|
5/9/2020 5:40pm
didnt go but i saw video and it looked like hard packed slop with little prep but that was just one section before the rollers
Sauce96
5/10/2020 1:20am
From what i saw it looked like nothing was "prepped", more of a gnnc type high point. Which was probably their intent...... id hope after seeing that. If it wasnt id want my money back (which would never happen there). Honestly you never know what you will get at high point unless its national weekend. I even stopped going to steel city a year before they closed because the prep was awful, and its 5 minutes from my house. Western PA motocross is dying, nicest tracks are private. I haven't always seen eye to eye with Cernic but i praise the guy for his efforts to keep moto alive around here.
Crush
5/10/2020 2:44am
Sauce96 wrote:
From what i saw it looked like nothing was "prepped", more of a gnnc type high point. Which was probably their intent...... id hope after seeing...
From what i saw it looked like nothing was "prepped", more of a gnnc type high point. Which was probably their intent...... id hope after seeing that. If it wasnt id want my money back (which would never happen there). Honestly you never know what you will get at high point unless its national weekend. I even stopped going to steel city a year before they closed because the prep was awful, and its 5 minutes from my house. Western PA motocross is dying, nicest tracks are private. I haven't always seen eye to eye with Cernic but i praise the guy for his efforts to keep moto alive around here.
Perspective.

I would fucking LOVE to ride that place as a grass track!
BobPA
5/10/2020 6:44am
Sauce96 wrote:
From what i saw it looked like nothing was "prepped", more of a gnnc type high point. Which was probably their intent...... id hope after seeing...
Crush wrote:
Perspective.

I would fucking LOVE to ride that place as a grass track!
Haha fat chance. High Point is rarely good besides the national weekend. Haven't made the trek to HP for years because of it.

The Shop

Crush
5/10/2020 7:34am Edited Date/Time 5/10/2020 10:21pm
BobPA wrote:
Haha fat chance. High Point is rarely good besides the national weekend. Haven't made the trek to HP for years because of it.
Hence I said perspective. I'd love to ride it as grass because it's high point – AND because it's grass. I love grass track but what a track to be grass... gp style track.

Your perspective as a local, is probably like fuck this place it's never prepped.
BobPA
5/10/2020 7:54am
Don't get me wrong, it can be an awesome track.....really separates the men from the boys. But, I've gone there in a near drought and it ended up being a mud race. Also tends to be more hard packed than you'd think.

You'd think HP would be local (to me) because we are in the same state....but it is a nearly 5 drive from my house.
DC
5/10/2020 9:20am Edited Date/Time 5/10/2020 9:21am
It rained all Friday and then turned into snow early Saturday morning. We kept it grass because that's what everyone wanted, and after an hour of bikes on the track it tacked up nicely and was perfect. Fun but cold opening day after a long time waiting. Surprised someone who wasn't actually there comes on here and complains about perfect conditions...

DC
Racer X
Sprew
5/10/2020 9:26am
Ouch...... looks great.
Jarrod458
5/10/2020 9:26am
DC wrote:
It rained all Friday and then turned into snow early Saturday morning. We kept it grass because that's what everyone wanted, and after an hour of...
It rained all Friday and then turned into snow early Saturday morning. We kept it grass because that's what everyone wanted, and after an hour of bikes on the track it tacked up nicely and was perfect. Fun but cold opening day after a long time waiting. Surprised someone who wasn't actually there comes on here and complains about perfect conditions...

DC
Racer X
Are you really “surprised” or just being sarcastic? 😂
Snapper
5/10/2020 9:40am
And as Crush said, I'd love to ride it exactly as it was yesterday, I bet it was awesome starting on grass to begin with. I've no idea why people are against riding on grass, makes no sense.
gasser303
5/10/2020 10:17am
DC wrote:
It rained all Friday and then turned into snow early Saturday morning. We kept it grass because that's what everyone wanted, and after an hour of...

DC
Racer X
I would have loved to be there but other obligations stood in the way... I've been going to HP since the mid 80s and have raced HS/GNCC there since 1994, it looked awesome! DC showed photos online of the grass covering the track and the comments were overwhelming in favor of riding the grass... I applaud them for giving the riders the chance to ride the track in its "natural" state. Hopefully more chances like this will come in the future, Thanks!!
Snapper
5/10/2020 10:21am
DC, may not be your responsibility but who decides if the track is left as grass or ripped up?
Bolt-On
Fantasy
1075th
5/10/2020 10:36am Edited Date/Time 5/10/2020 10:37am
I personally thought it turned out awesome. I was running sweep laps on the woods loop and it also got really good after everyone started turning laps. When I checked the course first thing in the morning, it was slick but the conditions on my final sweep lap to close the course were epic.

Also popped over and rode a lap on the Moto track later in the day. It was really good!

We typically don’t plant grass on the track, but I imagine this will become a yearly tradition.
MX114
5/10/2020 10:40am Edited Date/Time 5/10/2020 10:41am
Wow how awesome! Moto in its truest form! Reminds me of Unadilla amateur days in mid 1990’s. First big bike class got first dibs on the fresh grass in practice.... by the time my 80cc classes got there turn a few sessions later it was already turned over rich loam soil with knee high kickers and ruts 5 deep. It was struggle street for me back then just getting around the track cause it was so gnarly all weekend
DC
5/10/2020 11:03am
Snapper wrote:
DC, may not be your responsibility but who decides if the track is left as grass or ripped up?
I think my brother-in-law Jeff Russell made the decision, based on all of the rain and the fact that people really wanted to ride it while it was all covered in grass. Had they disked it up before the rain on Friday and Saturday morning it would have been a muddy mess. Instead, with the track sealed, the rain mostly ran off, and with the wind blowing all day, it dried out and tacked up well.

DC
Racer X
Trav138
5/10/2020 11:27am Edited Date/Time 5/10/2020 11:28am
Pretty cool High Point even had a ride day, which rarely happens. Then throw in all of the covid-19 stuff and yet people find something to bitch about.
mb60
5/10/2020 4:02pm
DC wrote:
I think my brother-in-law Jeff Russell made the decision, based on all of the rain and the fact that people really wanted to ride it while...
I think my brother-in-law Jeff Russell made the decision, based on all of the rain and the fact that people really wanted to ride it while it was all covered in grass. Had they disked it up before the rain on Friday and Saturday morning it would have been a muddy mess. Instead, with the track sealed, the rain mostly ran off, and with the wind blowing all day, it dried out and tacked up well.

DC
Racer X
How cool for you and the family to open up the track while still covered in grass.
Sabez
5/10/2020 6:10pm
Sauce96 wrote:
Breezewood is pretty awesome. Plus "it's always Sunny in Breezewood".
jmo443
5/10/2020 6:28pm
Looks good DC wish I had the ability to ride the track and cry about it like these guys.

Thank you for opening and keeping Moto Alive as we know no one is getting rich on a practice day. If I could ride I would have been there to ride the epic grass conditions.
bents
Fantasy
909th
5/10/2020 10:09pm
DC wrote:

DC
Racer X
I would have given my left nut to have had the chance to ride the track as it was presented. Motocross wet dream right there.
Crush
5/10/2020 10:24pm
That looks so fun!

Always loved riding on grass tracks!
bierbower105
5/11/2020 4:20am
After we blew the grass off it was greasy for about a half hour but after that - sun came out and it was motocross heaven all day. I love that place.

You guys really gonna complain about track prep when we haven't been able to ride all spring? That's not very motocross of you.
motomike137
5/11/2020 4:26am
DC wrote:

DC
Racer X
Looks pretty mint to me Smile
mikec265
5/11/2020 6:36am
You can never make all the people happy when it comes to track prep.
Snapper
5/11/2020 6:51am Edited Date/Time 5/11/2020 6:52am
Snapper wrote:
DC wrote:
I think my brother-in-law Jeff Russell made the decision, based on all of the rain and the fact that people really wanted to ride it while...

DC
Racer X
Cool. It looks so good and how tracks should be. Seeding tracks does wonders for the soil. What are the chances of running the national as all grass (if it grows back that is)?
ohiomotoxer
5/11/2020 8:05am
Nice story for DC.

Back in 1994 we were at a vintage motocross national in Ocala Fla.
It rained solid days prior to the race and on race day the track was trashed.

While the race promoters (AHRMA) were rotating on their thumbs along with the track owner I saw this guy hop onto a dozer and head out on the track.

Riders from all over the country were blasting AHRMA about canceling the race this guy was out there dozing the track.

When he was done and looking over the track I walked over to him to give thanks for saving the race day doing what he did. then I realized it was Big Dave Combs....he said my pleasure and walked off..the AHRMA people still bickering on what to do.

Needless to say without his help the race would have been cancelled.

Big Dave truly was a racers best friend.

Post a reply to: High Point

The Latest