High Profile MTB Riders Fail Drugs Test

Edited Date/Time 11/27/2018 7:52am
Big news in the MTB world today as two top enduro riders announced positive tests. There is a lot of interesting information in this article. Lots of parallels to the moto world in terms of the series organisers involvement in the testing and decision making, ability for riders to continue racing after their failed test etc.
Definitely worth a read and keeping an eye on how it plays out.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/exclusive-richie-rude-and-jared-graves-failed-drug-test-at-ews-france.html
|
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
11/26/2018 9:12am
Really surprising to me in regards to Graves....
kNewc
11/26/2018 9:33am
Really seems like some private testing needs to be done to Ryno Power if these 2 athletes and Tickle took the substances this year. I know Baker talks about Ryno Power before, so I wonder if this isn't going to turn out an isolated issue with their manufacturers.
Motodave15
11/26/2018 9:51am
wow, i always wondered about those enduro mtb guys... I did one enduro mtb race this year, and it went epicly terrible.

Anyway pretty wild, that they're ryno power guys. probably more than what meets the eye here. 3 for 3, with tickle BlushBlush
Jrewing
11/26/2018 12:08pm
Pretty big news really. Surprised it’s not headlines here

The Shop

Ramrod
Fantasy
1751st
11/26/2018 12:29pm
In Ryno Power's defence the article quoted the following.

"We reached out to Ryno Power’s owner and president, Ryan McCarthy, who said unequivocally that neither Higenamine or Oxilofrine are found in their products. ''Not only have we never even used any products like that before, we have our stuff strictly tested, so it's impossible for any ingredient to get in that's not already on the ingredients list,'' he told Pinkbike.
500guy
11/26/2018 12:41pm
Ramrod wrote:
In Ryno Power's defence the article quoted the following. "We reached out to Ryno Power’s owner and president, Ryan McCarthy, who said unequivocally that neither Higenamine...
In Ryno Power's defence the article quoted the following.

"We reached out to Ryno Power’s owner and president, Ryan McCarthy, who said unequivocally that neither Higenamine or Oxilofrine are found in their products. ''Not only have we never even used any products like that before, we have our stuff strictly tested, so it's impossible for any ingredient to get in that's not already on the ingredients list,'' he told Pinkbike.
Yes it's kind of shitty the OP pointed a finger at Ryno Power like that could be the only reason these men were caught cheating.
TXDirt
11/26/2018 12:54pm
The OWNER at Ryno Power said it's IMPOSSIBLE it's an issue with their product. hmmm...

Nothing is impossible....
kage173
11/26/2018 1:01pm
I think there's quite a few pros using RynoPower and am critical of the idea that that is the commonality, but can't wait to see Hughes' instagram post blowing out people talking/insinuating about his product like this.
11/26/2018 1:08pm
Just yesterday RynoPower posted on Instagram about how the product has been banned substance free since day one.
motogrady
11/26/2018 2:27pm

Just went over to VitalMTB. Seems those guys are as much in the dark, and as unhappy about things as us.

Wanted to stay and check that place out a bit, but man, there's an ad over there, commencal or something, flashing on and off, the definition of crass for sure. Got half a headache in like 60 seconds.
rmoto003
11/26/2018 3:32pm
Oh man, what hardcore drug did these guys get caught with??

Too much aspirin in the morning?

Maybe they used the wrong athletes foot powder?
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
11/26/2018 5:39pm Edited Date/Time 11/26/2018 5:39pm
Falcon wrote:
rmoto003 wrote:
Horrayyy

The world (((ANTI-DOPING))) agency catches two more people who werent blood doping! Good job gang!
Blood doping is a term of art, and not what WADA addressed here.
XC706
Fantasy
799th
11/26/2018 8:26pm
Its going to be interesting to see when these two find out their suspension, although it will not matter to Graves as he is under going treatment in 2019 and will not be racing.
Crush
11/26/2018 8:54pm
Who knows where Jared was at before this anyways... he's no spring chicken and brain cancer to boot but fuckin hell, not good for Richie.
11/27/2018 1:29am
If you were going to intentionally cheat to gain an advantage (and risk a ban) why would you bother with these ‘lesser substances’ and just do it properly?
rmoto003
11/27/2018 7:22am
If you were going to intentionally cheat to gain an advantage (and risk a ban) why would you bother with these ‘lesser substances’ and just do...
If you were going to intentionally cheat to gain an advantage (and risk a ban) why would you bother with these ‘lesser substances’ and just do it properly?
Because in my opinion, they arent knowingly trying to cheat. The substances they are testing positive for are seemingly innocuous ingredients that are found in various over-the-counter supplements; ones that Im sure average people would test positive for.

Besides, at what point does something go from everyday item to banned substance? One could legitimately argue the banning of Gatorade because it contains (((Monopotassium phosphate))) which has been proven to rehydrate an athelete after strenuous exercise.

Im more butthurt that half of the people on this board agree with these stupid rulings "because its the rules." At one point in history, eugenics was a law in the united states, extreme example i know, but it illustrates the point that we cant just sit back when rediculous rules and laws are passed and be like "well, thats the law"

What makes it worse is that there is very little communication or transparency with Wada, making them an ominous cloud hanging over a sport, ready to destroy anyones career on a whim, for offenses that are arguably inconsequential.

/rant
11/27/2018 7:46am Edited Date/Time 11/27/2018 7:52am
If you were going to intentionally cheat to gain an advantage (and risk a ban) why would you bother with these ‘lesser substances’ and just do...
rmoto003 wrote:
Because in my opinion, they arent knowingly trying to cheat. The substances they are testing positive for are seemingly innocuous ingredients that are found in various...
Because in my opinion, they arent knowingly trying to cheat. The substances they are testing positive for are seemingly innocuous ingredients that are found in various over-the-counter supplements; ones that Im sure average people would test positive for.

Besides, at what point does something go from everyday item to banned substance? One could legitimately argue the banning of Gatorade because it contains (((Monopotassium phosphate))) which has been proven to rehydrate an athelete after strenuous exercise.

Im more butthurt that half of the people on this board agree with these stupid rulings "because its the rules." At one point in history, eugenics was a law in the united states, extreme example i know, but it illustrates the point that we cant just sit back when rediculous rules and laws are passed and be like "well, thats the law"

What makes it worse is that there is very little communication or transparency with Wada, making them an ominous cloud hanging over a sport, ready to destroy anyones career on a whim, for offenses that are arguably inconsequential.

/rant
rmoto003 wrote: Because in my opinion, they arent knowingly trying to cheat. The substances they are testing positive for are seemingly innocuous ingredients that are found in various over-the-counter supplements; ones that Im sure average people would test positive for.

Seeming innoculous ingredients?.
Really? One is just another form of amphetamine, the other is another known cheater drug.

This year's fastest sprinters, Tyson Gay and Asafa Powell, have tested positive for the banned amphetamine.

And there is plenty of communication with WADA. people just want to blame someone else when they get caught.

Post a reply to: High Profile MTB Riders Fail Drugs Test

The Latest