Houston SX attendance??

DanDunes818
Edited Date/Time 1/24/2012 9:55pm
Does anyone that was at the race hear how many people were in the stadium. It looked surprising similar to Jacksonville's dismal turn out. I seem to remember there always being a decent crowd show up at Houston in the past so I was a little surprised to see so many open seats. I kind of wish Seattle sx was like that so I could choose where I sit but Seattle is always pretty packed. I guess we'll see in a couple weeks.
|
kardy
4/11/2010 3:54pm
Not even remotely close to Jacksonville's attendance. The claim was around 44K and that seemed about right.
jbomx363
4/11/2010 7:53pm
Well.. I now can honestly say.. it's not actual attendance, but tickets sold.

If there were 15-20K actually in person at Reliant Sat. night, that's stretching it. In the 15yrs that I've been going, this is by far the lowest actual fannies in the seats I've ever ever seen. Pits had hardly any folks in them too.

There has been a steady decline in actual people there in the last 4-5yrs. Makes me wonder when did they stop the semi's from the program?

The NHRA event was this weekend too and I think that's where most went.
CML9200
4/11/2010 8:13pm
Yea they had so many open seats even in the lower middle sections, You could pretty much sit anywhere you wanted. It was kinda sad actually.
4/11/2010 8:46pm
the seats that were empty were the ones that were 20 dollars last year and 46 dollars this year, over a 100% increase in one year during a downturn in the economy spells less people in the stands you don't have to be genius to figure this out

The Shop

BobbyM
4/11/2010 8:48pm
disney on ice attendance is sucking ass too....not many folks have the cake, kids or not.
FIREfish148
4/11/2010 9:21pm
Disney on ice lol.
I dont get how people have the money to go watch avatar, but dont have the money for a supercross race. People must have their priorities mixed or somethin.
kardy
4/12/2010 5:16am
jbomx363 wrote:
Well.. I now can honestly say.. it's not actual attendance, but tickets sold. If there were 15-20K actually in person at Reliant Sat. night, that's stretching...

If there were 15-20K actually in person at Reliant Sat. night, that's stretching it. In the 15yrs that I've been going, this is by far the lowest actual fannies in the seats I've ever ever seen. Pits had hardly any folks in them too.

There has been a steady decline in actual people there in the last 4-5yrs. Makes me wonder when did they stop the semi's from the program?

Easily double of JAX, I don't care how many years you've been going...
RACERX69
4/12/2010 6:52am
Remeber, Reliant stadium is HUGE! It holds almost 72,000 people. Even if there were 44,000 peolple there, it's still going to look sparse.

As for the pits being empty. Not sure what time you were there, but when we strolled through about 4ish, it was packed. More so than I've ever seen.
Racer92
4/12/2010 7:02am
Pits were pretty packed, X69 is right, Reliant can fool you on attendance numbers.
jbomx363
4/12/2010 7:05am Edited Date/Time 4/12/2010 7:11am
Racer92 wrote:
Pits were pretty packed, X69 is right, Reliant can fool you on attendance numbers.
Didn't say they were empty. There wasn't even close to the crowd there was last year, or the year before (in the rain and cold mind you) in the pits. Also keep in mind, the pits had a smaller footprint this year too. So people weren't spread out as much.

There weren't 44k people there. Not even close to that number. Tickets sold is not bodies in the seats. Which again, as long as they are sold, that's all the matters to FELD.
Regardless what our opinions are on attendance, it was still a fun time, the track was great and so was the racing.
Racer92
4/12/2010 7:24am
Smaller footprint? How were the Pits different than any other year?

Racer92
4/12/2010 7:52am Edited Date/Time 4/12/2010 7:54am
That back row you highlighted was usually just a few privateer trucks, a roll off for garbage and where I always parked my truck/trailer when I brought a Ranger for the WWR guys to use. I parked back there for years and can see why the moved it up, that area wasnt really used anyway.

What did they have in that other area? The wake-board display or that Air Force jet? Really dont remember that being part of the main pits.
4/12/2010 7:56am
I would say it looked about the same as the past couple of years. The awesome weather brought a lot more folks to the pits. The footprint may have been a bit smaller. There are fewer factory rigs and the Air Force had a large area that was not here this year.

Below is the press release from Feld:

4/11/2010

Courtesy of Feld Motor Sports...

HOUSTON, Texas (April 10, 2010) – Monster Energy AMA Supercross, an FIM World Championship, visited the great state of Texas for the second time in 2010 in front of 44,624 fans from Houston’s Reliant Stadium. After a one week break, the world’s best supercross riders returned to action on Saturday night as Monster Energy Kawasaki’s Ryan Villopoto, of Poulsbo, Wash., won his seventh AMA Supercross class race of the year. Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki’s Christophe Pourcel, of Groveland, Fla., captured his fifth win of the AMA Supercross Lites Eastern Regional Championship season and claimed his second consecutive title in the process.

Void Main
4/12/2010 8:04am
BobbyM wrote:
disney on ice attendance is sucking ass too....not many folks have the cake, kids or not.
To be fair, the Disney on Ice attendance is down because of the Global Warming melting the ice.
Torco1
4/12/2010 8:41am
I've been noticing a lot of empty seats this year at some of the races. I know a lot of people complain about Anaheim getting 3 races, but at least they are almost always full.
Racer92
4/12/2010 8:44am
Torco1 wrote:
I've been noticing a lot of empty seats this year at some of the races. I know a lot of people complain about Anaheim getting 3...
I've been noticing a lot of empty seats this year at some of the races. I know a lot of people complain about Anaheim getting 3 races, but at least they are almost always full.
Full = how many spectators? Im curious what their numbers are.
Torco1
4/12/2010 8:49am
Torco1 wrote:
I've been noticing a lot of empty seats this year at some of the races. I know a lot of people complain about Anaheim getting 3...
Racer92 wrote:
Full = how many spectators? Im curious what their numbers are.
Angel Stadium really isnt that big of a stadium to begin with, I think it only holds like 45,000 so it doesnt take to much to fill it up.
bultokid
4/12/2010 9:02am
jbomx363 wrote:
Well.. I now can honestly say.. it's not actual attendance, but tickets sold. If there were 15-20K actually in person at Reliant Sat. night, that's stretching...

It was pretty light it seemed. Time for me to play grumpy old man that likes 500 2 strokes..........many of the vintage/vet racers I know seem to echo the same sentiments of, $70 per ticket for 2 hours of SX with only 6 races lasting about 45 mins quite frankly blows. The riders are just mind-blowing, the track/presentation looks great but seems to me to be more fluff and last few years the whole program seems rushed like Feld is saying "hurry it up let's get these people out of here". Granted this is from an old dude that would much rather enjoy 250 2stroke SX any day of the week. There's a reason they stopped racing the 500 class in SX 30 years ago. Look forward to Freestone as I do enjoy the 450's outdoors.
jbomx363
4/12/2010 10:14am
I would say it looked about the same as the past couple of years. The awesome weather brought a lot more folks to the pits. The...
I would say it looked about the same as the past couple of years. The awesome weather brought a lot more folks to the pits. The footprint may have been a bit smaller. There are fewer factory rigs and the Air Force had a large area that was not here this year.

Below is the press release from Feld:

4/11/2010

Courtesy of Feld Motor Sports...

HOUSTON, Texas (April 10, 2010) – Monster Energy AMA Supercross, an FIM World Championship, visited the great state of Texas for the second time in 2010 in front of 44,624 fans from Houston’s Reliant Stadium. After a one week break, the world’s best supercross riders returned to action on Saturday night as Monster Energy Kawasaki’s Ryan Villopoto, of Poulsbo, Wash., won his seventh AMA Supercross class race of the year. Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki’s Christophe Pourcel, of Groveland, Fla., captured his fifth win of the AMA Supercross Lites Eastern Regional Championship season and claimed his second consecutive title in the process.

I'm telling you, that number is tickets sold, not fannies in the seats. But really, FELD gets the dough, so no big deal.

I just checked with our arena manager and he said that's how attendance figures go out for events, tickets sold.

He said, think of it like this. When you see a venue say, "in front of a sold out crowd" do you really think everyone showed up that bought a ticket?

On my own opinion and experience, there's never been empty seats in just my section alone. My section appeared to be only half full this year and in fact, a group that I know said they were going to move to sit in our section but saw the other empty seats and went seat hopping to see the race from different views.

Looking throughout the stadium, I can't recall any section that was full or even close to being full. Guess taking a look at some photos will show whats what.

Post a reply to: Houston SX attendance??

The Latest