How Long until The masses mostly Ride electric?

Tarz483
Fantasy
665th
I personally think electric is Gonna be the future of MX.
But the question is How long until it gets there ?
5yrs ? 10 Years?
By get there I mean until the technology is better to the point That they are what is being used in Pro MX and is becoming the majority of what is being Used by the Masses , once that Happens I truly believe MX will flourish again because of new Riding area's and new tracks etc ,
But until that Happens I wonder if anyone is working on trying to gain more riding area's and open new tracks
It seems Like people have just Given up on MX in a way
, and it's just shrinking and Shrinking, imo people still need to work on it For what we have now because it could be 10 yrs or more until that happens, and if it does happen sooner than great than
We switch and use the electric at the new areas also.
I Guess I'm wondering if The AMA or any other organization is trying to fight for More offroad Riding area's
In the USA?
I know California has a lot of Desert and open Land But some area's Dont.
|
downard254
11/9/2018 7:47am
Don't know, but I love the sound of a combustion engine when I ride. I'll always burn fuel.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
11/9/2018 7:56am
In California, ya we have a lot of desert, but a lot of it is closed to any sort of recreational vehicle. Areas are shut down for the desert tortoise. A huge chunk of Pismo is closed for a bird....

As for me, maybe one day I'll be electric, but I will always have an internal combustion engine bike in my garage.
ATKpilot99
11/9/2018 8:02am
The sound of the engines is also part of the experience of going to a race , I think it would be strange not having that but I guess over time people would get used to it. I personally have no interest in electric bikes and hope they don't take a foothold in pro racing in the near future, but hey I'm older (52) . To answer the question I think 10 years at the soonest before it comes close to being the norm.
Sir
11/9/2018 8:11am
The electrical revolution is not as close as you might think. Alta had a decent alternative but clearly take-up was not enough to stop the company from closing its doors (for the time being) and the newest attempt at bringing electric to the masses from a major manufacture - KTM - is at the beginner end of the spectrum.

AMA/Feld/MXsports/MXGP wont even allow equivalency for two strokes for heaven's sake in the major professional championships, so they wont be in any hurry to deal with the silent breed.

Unless it's forced upon them (vehicle manufacturers) via law/legislation gasoline powered bikes are here for a long run still.

The Shop

flymoto
11/9/2018 8:28am
Way more than 10 years. I think we should be aiming for 2-30 Look what has actually changed in 10 years on the 4 stroke, fuel injection? Even when we do get a decent electric bike we need the big 4 involved so there’s some direct competition to drive the prices down or else it’s jusy un realistic to most folk still.

All you have to do is look at the Prius. Came out mid 00s still, and still not massively popular, electric vehicle in the uk still do not even make up 1% of vehicles. I know technology is advancing but the batteries still aren’t making amazing figures on the Milages so it’s not moving as fast as people think. And I can see a similar transition in mx. I’ll probably be one of the first tile buy one. Living in the small cramped up country with little space we need as many riding spots possible. Electric is the future whether we like it or not, just take it for what it is. It will happen eventually.

gt80rider
11/9/2018 8:32am
When the switch came in rc, it came fast. It took about 5 years for the masses to go from nitro or brushed NiMH to Lithium/brushless.

In moto, well, it is going to take a LOT longer. The infrastructure for charging is an issue, as is cost. Electric bikes won't be cheaper, they will be even MORE expensive. In rc, the added power and runtime was awesome, in moto, we already have more power than we could ever use, giving us even more, well, that's only good business for doctors. IMO, moto bikes are already Awesome at their task, there just isn't going to be a huge reduction in lap times by going to electric, therefore I don't see them taking off any time soon.
BB67
11/9/2018 9:03am
flying cars by the year 2000,stamp it
11/9/2018 9:23am
I'm faster on my Alta MXR than i am on both my KX450 and my KX125. That said, I don't see electric bikes totally taking over and becoming the majority for a long time. I do, however, think we'll all see the day when electric motocross bikes are a viable option in the realm of competitive motocross. When 4 strokes hit the scene, there were a few years where some rode 2-strokes and some rode 4-strokes. I think there will be a time where there will be a mix of 4 strokes and Electric bikes competing against eachother, and it will stay that way for quite some time.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
11/9/2018 9:54am
I've already come to terms with the fact that I may not ever buy another MX bike. I have a perfectly serviceable YZ250 and I hate 4-strokes, so why bother?
But then the electric came along. I still haven't ridden one, but I wonder if it will be even worse for me than a 4-stroke, or if it will be fun. I could really see myself getting used to the lower maintenance if it performs in a way I can approve of.
ACBraap
Fantasy
564th
11/9/2018 10:00am
I'm still riding a KTM 2 stroke, but I hope I'll be able to bypass 4 strokes and get an electric next. Mostly because I want to see electric bring back riding without driving for hours. In WA, a mult year effort to open a new track was shut down due to noise. Electric has the potential to actually grow the sport, where 4 strokes helped its decline. Less maintenance is an added bonus.
bbhMoto
11/9/2018 10:11am Edited Date/Time 11/9/2018 10:15am
A lot of electric transportation will become mainstream once they invent new battery technology. It needs to store more power per lb and charge way faster. Until the charge times are brought down to the 10 minute mark for bikes, cars etc., it ain't gonna happen.

Maybe tech like graphene or LiAir will be here sooner than we think - that's the beauty of capitalism! Whoever invents and produces an affordable, fast charging, high density battery will be one of the richest people ever to live.

Interesting read - https://www.pocket-lint.com/gadgets/news/130380-future-batteries-coming…
11/9/2018 10:25am
The masses will only switch if politicians can make more money off renewables than they do supporting oil and the Middle East. Nothing we do or want as enthisiasts will make any difference. "Masses" do what they're told is best. If our controllers ever agree to go with clean energy, only then will combustion go out of style.
Excaliburbmx
11/9/2018 10:46am
Electric is a fad. Won’t see it happen in my lifetime.

Combustion engines will be around for a while
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
11/9/2018 2:34pm Edited Date/Time 11/9/2018 2:34pm
If anyone thinks Electric motorcycles will open up land to ride on or even keep land open don't kid yourself. The tree huggers don't want anyone except themselves on any land. First they went after Jeeps and motorcycles then mountain bikes then horses and now they don't even want hikers. Electric is cool and also a future mainstream way to ride but it wont be welcomed anymore that a TM400 with no silencer or a 4 stroke with a megaphone, its all the same to them, we scar the land.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
11/9/2018 2:45pm
lostboy819 wrote:
If anyone thinks Electric motorcycles will open up land to ride on or even keep land open don't kid yourself. The tree huggers don't want anyone...
If anyone thinks Electric motorcycles will open up land to ride on or even keep land open don't kid yourself. The tree huggers don't want anyone except themselves on any land. First they went after Jeeps and motorcycles then mountain bikes then horses and now they don't even want hikers. Electric is cool and also a future mainstream way to ride but it wont be welcomed anymore that a TM400 with no silencer or a 4 stroke with a megaphone, its all the same to them, we scar the land.
I've been saying this for some time now. Dust will always be an issue for our tree hugger friends as well. Even if there is no dust, they will still use it as an excuse. Same with inner city areas.

Remember, we are referred to as Ground Pounders, Earth Movers and many more.
KTMTroopeR
11/9/2018 2:51pm
Well KTM's new kids bike is a start. The kids will start out on 50cc equivalent E-bikes, then in a few years they will move up to 65cc equivalent E-bikes, few years after that 85cc equivalent E-bikes. then up to full size bikes.... During this whole time tech gets better and better. Kids of the future will not start out on gas bikes they will just think E-bikes are normal. Its us Old guys that will bah-humbug around about E-bikes.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
11/9/2018 2:55pm
lostboy819 wrote:
If anyone thinks Electric motorcycles will open up land to ride on or even keep land open don't kid yourself. The tree huggers don't want anyone...
mattyhamz2 wrote:
I've been saying this for some time now. Dust will always be an issue for our tree hugger friends as well. Even if there is no...
I've been saying this for some time now. Dust will always be an issue for our tree hugger friends as well. Even if there is no dust, they will still use it as an excuse. Same with inner city areas.

Remember, we are referred to as Ground Pounders, Earth Movers and many more.
They have hiking trails up to hanging lake and now they want to shut down all hiking access or have a lottery to buy a limited number of permits to hike in the mountains.
sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
11/9/2018 3:09pm
Those are bitchin but... Anyone else tired of hearing about people who don't want to hear anything ? ..... (yeah I know what is that an oxymoron or a ironic conundrum or a haiku or something ? Laughing ) Seriously though think about it, at my house we've have freeway noise and planes, helicopters and shit flying around all day, a train, not to mention sirens going all the time. Rarely is it ever "Quiet" But heaven forbid we hear a dirtbike in the hills behind town, ohhh nooo musn't have that, tsk tsk tsk. I'm all for electric bikes as long as it remains a choice and not our only option. I like loud motors and the smell off exhaust, it's part of the thrill I guess ? for lack of a better word. So for around populated areas to have that as an option, awesome. But when I go to a track or the desert or a professional race ? I want the noise to rattle my bones. I hope that excitement will be around for my grand kids.

How exciting would an electric drag race be ? Unsure
mikec265
11/9/2018 3:26pm
yz133rider wrote:
Once they are the faster better option
I'm faster on my Alta, and it's better than my gas bikes. I believe that the average rider could go faster easier on the Alta. Just like it's easier for a novice to go faster on a 4 stroke than a 2 stroke.
Johnny Depp
11/9/2018 3:40pm Edited Date/Time 11/9/2018 3:43pm
The tipping point will be when they start winning SX and MX Championships, just like 4t's.

I'd suggest at this point they are fast enough to win a 10 minute heat, but not enough battery to win a 20 minute main, forget 30 minutes outdoors in the hands of a top 5 Pro, they wilt like steamed lettuce.

If they shorten races for more excitement it will play right into their hands.
Patrick461
11/9/2018 10:11pm Edited Date/Time 11/9/2018 10:12pm
soon I hope. I've demo rode an Alta they are pretty awesome.
MotoMo165
11/9/2018 10:42pm
I think In 10 years electric bikes may be a cheaper viable option entry to the sport. But the pros and serious riders will continue on gas bikes for another 20 or so years. At least I’d hope so.
NorCal 50+
11/9/2018 10:54pm
Major companies such as Mercedes Benz and countries such as China are committing to all-electric cars within the next few decades. Internal combustion engines will be a quaint idea by 2030, but thank God I lived in a good era. Not that I don't care about pollution and climate change, which I do. But this is how we learn about the rapid pace of human change and how quickly you find yourself an anachronism. Woohoo
The two-stroke motorcycle engine grew out of a direct need for cheap post WWII transportation in Japan and the US, and it will disappear as quickly as it arrived, in the grand scheme of things. Enjoy your motors while they are here and don't worry about it!
bvm111
11/9/2018 11:30pm
Didn’t Alta just shut down, asking for a friend? Whistling
BobKerr
11/10/2018 2:32am Edited Date/Time 11/10/2018 2:35am
20+ years. The battery technology has to make HUGE improvments.

I won't consider an electric bike until it meets the following criteria:
- costs less than or equal to gas bike to purchase
- can ride ALL day on a single charge
- can be recharged/ have the battery swapped out in less than 15 minutes
- the above recharge/ battery swap is available everywhere.

I won't consider an electric car until it meets the following criteria:
- costs less than or equal to a gas car to purchase
- can drive 12+ hours at 75mph on a single charge
- can be recharged/ have the battery swapped out in less than 15 minutes
- the above recharge/ battery swap is available everywhere.
Frank
11/10/2018 3:30am
Hopefully ebikes make it possible for young adults (18-24) to afford like it was for many of us buying 2 strokes.
Motofinne
11/10/2018 3:48am
The masses will start buying electric bikes when that is the only option for riding on tracks because of the environmental issues. I would guess we're 10-20 years from that? And by that time the electric bikes will be good enough so that there is no reason not to ride one.

I can't wait to see the first real bike aimed at competition from the big 6.
Bultaco
11/10/2018 4:12am Edited Date/Time 11/10/2018 6:18am
I agree the sound is part of the attraction of being a spectator of racing. At the drag strip, at the INDY 500, and at professional SX/MX. But for my own experience, I prefer quiet. Stealth is where it is at. I've been throwing a leg over a dirt bike for more than 50 years, and can honestly say the attraction of it is the riding. Not the noise.

I wanted to buy an Alta. I still do and hope they somehow get bought/reorg/rise out of the ashes.

Post a reply to: How Long until The masses mostly Ride electric?

The Latest